Follow

Young Justice

Team » Young Justice appears in 269 issues.

Young Justice started as another legacy team consisting of a generation of sidekicks younger than the original Teen Titans lineup. Like the Teen Titans, they would eventually increase membership beyond sidekicks and make a name for themselves beyond their mentors.

Black Beetle massively overpowered?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lightsout

I've bitched about this in a few other topics, but I was very let down that he was simply a reach-guy under the suit. That implies the suit alone was SO strong he could go toe-to-toe with the likes of Mongul, Superboy, Miss Martian, Green Beetle (etc). I don't care how much more experience he has with the suit than Jaimie or if it's a "better model" - he shouldn't be on that level. Yea they needed a villain, but they could have easily said he was some species of alien who's naturally super-powered and it could have made things make much more sense. I really liked YJ, but this was one of the biggest offenses IMO in terms of misrepresentation of power (on top of things like how slow the flashes were or how often Superboy & Miss Martian got jobbed. Or the logic that none of the power-houses not off with the JL (shown in the crowd before they dispersed to shut down the MFDs)..but I digress).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

And Wondergirl. Do not forget Wondergirl she literally became the new punching bag within a few episodes.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lightsout

How could I forget her? Really, there were so many "powerhouses" among the kids and the JL members who weren't on trial, the only problem the reach & light should have posed was in terms of plans/subversion/etc. Any fights should have easily been in the good guys' favor.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle
    @lightsout said:

I've bitched about this in a few other topics, but I was very let down that he was simply a reach-guy under the suit. That implies the suit alone was SO strong he could go toe-to-toe with the likes of Mongul, Superboy, Miss Martian, Green Beetle (etc). I don't care how much more experience he has with the suit than Jaimie or if it's a "better model" - he shouldn't be on that level. Yea they needed a villain, but they could have easily said he was some species of alien who's naturally super-powered and it could have made things make much more sense. I really liked YJ, but this was one of the biggest offenses IMO in terms of misrepresentation of power (on top of things like how slow the flashes were or how often Superboy & Miss Martian got jobbed. Or the logic that none of the power-houses not off with the JL (shown in the crowd before they dispersed to shut down the MFDs)..but I digress).

We have no idea how powerful he was without his armor, for all we know he could have been naturally super strong or genetically modified. Also, if Blue Beetle, a human teenager was strong enough with armor to fight with Superboy its completely logical that Black Beetle who is much bigger could take on Superboy.....not to mention all the weapons his armor has also gives him an advantage.
    Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
    IfDCRuledTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IfDCRuledTheWorld

Maybe...but like you said, "They needed somebody."

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lightsout

@cattlebattle: There was nothing given to suggest that. Re. BB vs Superboy: Superboy getting jobbed by writers. (We can't use bad logic in YJ at one point to justify something later).

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @lightsout said:

@cattlebattle: There was nothing given to suggest that. Re. BB vs Superboy: Superboy getting jobbed by writers. (We can't use bad logic in YJ at one point to justify something later).

I don't know, seeing as he could lay out Superboy and Wonder Girl I thought it was pretty obvious that not only did his scarab grant him great strength, but he was probably strong to begin with. 

Superboy doesn't really job as there is pretty much no gauge ever given to his strength........this is actually a problem with any super strong characters...if someone beats them up on more than one occasion, people accuse them of being weak. When in fact, they are just as strong as the story needs them to be.
    mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By mk111

Black Beetle was a bit overpowered, but he is also one of my favorite Young Justice villains, so I can't complain.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lightsout

@cattlebattle: The last part first --> Well naturally it's varied story to story based on the writers, but that's taking the spirit of analyzing it. But Superboy, Wondergirl & the like have never been shown to be weaker than a scarab warrior. You're going just within the confines of YJ which I was arguing weren't logical to begin with. Sure, I would accept "you (me) shouldn't be applying the comics to this animation which is a different continuity", but I just have issues when the relative abilities of the characters are tweaked so much from the source material. To give an extreme example: if a cartoon had the Joker be able to punch Superman hard enough to make him bleed, just because it's within it's on continuity, it doesn't make it any less any less ridiculous.

nmiller1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nmiller1939

@lightsout said:

Or, y'know, Blue Beetle is also more powerful than Superboy. Remember, Scarab warriors once challenged the Green Lantern Corps. It stands to reason that they are GL-level powerful, and considering that none of the characters you listed could take on a GL (probably), it stands to reason none of them could take on a Beetle. It's not like Blue Beetle was a lot less powerful than Black, just less aggressive. Only people that should have been able to take him on were the martians, and they have a pretty easily exploited weakness.

Also, when exactly did Ms. Martian "job" to anybody? Only time she lost to Black Beetle was because he density shifted the door as she was phasing through, knocking her out instantly.

Lastly, Black wasn't the unstoppable powerhouse people treat him as. In a confined area, he dominated, but when it was an open space, he did considerably less well. I was just rewatching the episode where Robin, Arsenal, Impulse and Blue fought him today...and once they made it out in the corn field, they kind of tore him apart. They blasted him hard enough to severely damage his armor, if only temporarily, and that was while Green Beetle was doing nothing, due to the flame. And Arsenal & the Runaways also did fairly well against him, when given room to work with.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By frozenedge2

Black Beetle was more than a match for powerhouses like Superboy and Wondergirl because he wasn't just a super-strengt guy, he had versatility. The way he fought also helped considering he didn't just rush in blindly and start throwing punches and kicks (Connor). Considering he was the muscle of the Reach, it would make sense that he would be able to handle most situations thrown at him. Sure he was a bit overpowered but when you have a high-tech alien suit that can create any weapon you can think of, you're gonna end up dominating majority of the people you fight especially if you're a smart fighter like Black Beetle

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By SoA

i figure the scarabs to be a "modern" take on the GL rings where the suit can do so much , but it also depends on the vessel , so since jaime and "green" beetle were good guys just under scarab influence they were essentially "weaker" than black beetle who may have been a completely heartless monster before the scarab attached itself

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cattlebattle
    @lightsout said:

@cattlebattle: The last part first --> Well naturally it's varied story to story based on the writers, but that's taking the spirit of analyzing it. But Superboy, Wondergirl & the like have never been shown to be weaker than a scarab warrior. You're going just within the confines of YJ which I was arguing weren't logical to begin with. Sure, I would accept "you (me) shouldn't be applying the comics to this animation which is a different continuity", but I just have issues when the relative abilities of the characters are tweaked so much from the source material. To give an extreme example: if a cartoon had the Joker be able to punch Superman hard enough to make him bleed, just because it's within it's on continuity, it doesn't make it any less any less ridiculous.

I don't think anything is tweaked that much, as I mentioned before Black Beetle is shown to have super strength in Scarab form from the beginning....as episodes go on its shown that nothing can hurt him. Characters like Superboy and Wonder Girl are shown to not even be extremely strong in the first place. I just don't see how Black Beetle being able to beat down everyone is ridiculous
    Mojo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mojo65

I have more complaints as to how Green Beetle seemed to be underpowered for what he was rather than have them for Black Beetle being overpowered, as we saw someone fighting smart could make things difficult for him, like in the fight in True Colors and his fight against Artemis and M'gann posing as Deathstroke,

tjs4759

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tjs4759

Well considering that the Reach ambassador/ leader whatever you want to call him, chose him to be the muscle behind their invasion over all other reach candidates - I'm assuming that they had the option of selecting any reach warrior they wanted to bond with the scarab. You can safely assume that he has natural attributes that set him apart from the others. You also have to wonder that since he is reach in nature that perhaps the scarab bonded with him more intimately making him that much more powerful.

jasontodd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jasontodd7

@lightsout: a beetle equals a green lantern ring, right? so how black was overpowered when he fought the team?

Yes, he was overpowered against mongul but mongul was just freed from ice and not fully recovered..plus that black had a little help from green to put him back on "ice".

nmiller1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nmiller1939

@jasontodd7: Even then, GLs have taken down Mongul before. Sinestro did it during Blackest Night, Hal did it a little bit before the Sinestro Corps War.

Cesc114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cesc114

I don't understand the point of this forum i mean is a great villian. Have a lot's of energy blasts and flight abilities i really think he haven't use the 100% of his suit abilities

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By Teerack

He wasn't that over powered to be honest. He wasn't fighting Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, or Martian Man Hunter so it's not like the people he was beating up were stronger then him.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By JamesKM716

You know a great idea would be if he were Kryptonian underneath teh Suit

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.