Shia LeBeouf Says Y: The Last Man Could Still Happen

Posted by G-Man (33891 posts) - - Show Bio
Y: The Last Man was simply an awesome comic.  Brian K Vaughan did a great job on it.  It's a good comic to use to try to get non-comic readers into comics.  Director D.J. Caruso has been attached to making a movie version for some time.  He has mentioned several times that he wanted Shia LeBeouf to play the lead character, Yorick Brown.  LeBeouf, himself, has also expressed great interest because he's a big fan of the comic.  Over the last couple weeks, it's been reported that LeBeouf felt the movie wasn't going to happen.

Collider has reported that there is still hope and clarifies the reasons it's not happening at this moment.  It seems the script is not ready yet and Caruso is planning on making a Jack And The Beanstalk movie next.  LeBeouf feels Yorick is too "Sam Witwicky" and he also wants to do something different right now.
There’s just other things going on with DJ and I wouldn’t want to make the movie with anybody else because he loves it like I do.  But I don’t think Vaughn is trying to give it to anybody else. I think that it is something that’s very realistic, it’s just not in the pipe for the next year.
LeBeouf claims there is still a chance of this happening.  At 23 now, is LeBeouf getting too old?  How many movies would they make out of this?  I've said several times that this would be great as an HBO series.  As much as I'd love to see this adapted, I don't know if even three movies could do the 60 issue run justice.   I'm not the biggest LeBeouf fan but I think he could pull off the role.  The fact that he's really into the comic would help and ensure that he'd really put himself into the role.  His name attached would bring in more success at the box office.  Hopefully this movie will happen someday.  All we can do is hope for the best.

Staff
#1 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet

#2 Edited by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good choice but its bad timing for his acting career after Transformers.

Either way I think Y the Last Man as a TV series is a good idea since there could be a plethora of storylines that come out of the premise that the graphic novel hadnt touched on and would thusly be a very successful TV series.

#3 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with you G-man this would be a killer HBO series. I would much rather see them do the story more justice in a series than a movie. Besides HBO series are pretty awesome they put a lot of effort into their shows.

#4 Posted by G-Man (33891 posts) - - Show Bio

I want this movie to be made so badly but I'm really scared at the thought of it...sucking.

Staff
#5 Posted by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (234 posts) - - Show Bio

I think either LeBeouf of Zachary Levi from "Chuck" would be great. Both of them have roles that are similar to the character though. This comic was almost tailor-made for a movie or TV series, because Vaughan just has that style. Like, you can go in the Alan Moore direction, where you believe that comics are a totally different medium, and you are obligated to do everything differently, or you can go this way and emulate the episodic nature.

#6 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!!!!!!!!Not Lebeouf!

#7 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

"LeBeouf feels Yorick is too "Sam Witwicky,"" Im truly glad he notice that he is being recast as the same character repeatedly. Three years ago I would have been onboard for LaBeouf as Brown, but he is already Sam Wilwicky and will most likely be the next Indiana Jones and think thats good enough.

#8 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

I like LeBeaof alot. I think he's a smart actor who picks great roles that support him best...

#9 Edited by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

HBO Series or nothing, cant be compressed into film without cutting too much

#10 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I read an interview with him in Wizard stateing " I'm not willing to make this movie currently" he also said " You take sam(witwicky) and you put a monkey on his shoulder I don't know if thats a big differential"

#11 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I sincerely hope this never happens.

#12 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of this kid. If he'll do it, I'll go see it.

#13 Posted by NightFang (10046 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they ake the three movies and an HBO series.

#14 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what anyone says Shia would make a great Yorick

#15 Edited by Shoom (2 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" I want this movie to be made so badly but I'm really scared at the thought of it...sucking. "
I'm with you there, although I can't imagine LeBeouf as Yorick. He's too juvenile looking and too small.
He's an Okay actor but he just doesn't fit in...

#16 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

A movie is a really bad idea for this series, there is way too much going on and it goes over such a long time stream that a two hour movie would not be long enough. While a HBO series would be perfect and do the series justice.
I don't really like LeBeouf, but he would make a perfect Yorick. He has the the perfect mix of dorkieness and actractability to be him. I just hope Megan Fox isn't his sister. :P

#17 Posted by casanovafrankenstien (1 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be a great movie idea. However, if they put Lebeouf in it the movie will suck. Just like every other movie he has been in and destroyed.

#18 Posted by boutchypoogger (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with casanovafrankenstien Lebeouf would take all the potential good this movie could have and sh*t all over it.

#19 Posted by SUNMAN (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be good. I have like two issues with this concept but otherwise I love it

#20 Posted by Chaos Agent (2150 posts) - - Show Bio

Personal note: Listen to your gut and one day finally read all of "Y: The last man" series

#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he'd suit the character, but I can't blame him for avoiding being type cast.

If you don't think the series could be wrapped up in a movie franchise, then how about an ongoing series instead?  Two or three seasons would be able to cover more than a couple of movies :)

#22 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" I sincerely hope this never happens. "

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.