New Line Still Interested in Y: THE LAST MAN Movie

Posted by G-Man (31845 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's start off by pointing out if you haven't read Y: THE LAST MAN by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra yet, now is a great time to start. The sixty issue series is a great read and if a movie ever happens, you'll want to be familiar with the source material. It's one of my all time favorite series.

There's been talk of a movie for quite some time now. D.J. Caruso was interested in directing and apparently Shia LaBeouf was attached to play, Yorick, the titular character. For various reasons, the movie never got off the ground. Both Caruso and LaBeouf have moved away from the project.

Vulture is reporting that New Line Cinema is still interested in making this movie happen and are making it a priority. They are reported to be pleased with a draft from Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia, both writers from the TV show, Jericho. The next step is to meet with director candidates.

This is the part where we try not to get too excited. There's been talk about this movie happening for too long. Obviously it could work better as a long running cable television show. If the movie is a success, we could hope for three movies. The question is, could the sixty issues be easily adapted into three movies without losing too much? We'll have to keep our fingers crossed that this can actually happen finally.

Staff
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be so much better as a TV show.

#2 Posted by feargalr (1156 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Inverno (13164 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

#4 Posted by Baron_Emo (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to sound like a hater, but Shia LaBoeouf? <_>

#5 Posted by inferiorego (22646 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Throw it on HBO, and then you can take my money

Staff
#6 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

I will watch the movie -- clearly (although Shia LeBeouf?) but there is so much to this story, nuances and storylines that a movie will just fail to emcompass all that makes it extra-ordinary. And please -- no sequels to address this because when movies come with a "to be continued" feel to it, I am offended as a consumer.

#7 Posted by G-Man (31845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baron_Emo: @lykopis: Caruso and LaBeouf are no longer attached. Caruso was interested in directing and had worked with LaBeouf who was also interested in the comic. Since it's been 'in development' for so long, they have nothing to do with it now.

Staff
#8 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

This guy has the right idea.

#9 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: Isnt Warner Brothers still in talk with Viacom to make 100 bullets a 100 episode show, on Showtime or did Warner just kill the project altogether.

#10 Posted by inferiorego (22646 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikeclark1982 said:

@inferiorego: Isnt Warner Brothers still in talk with Viacom to make 100 bullets a 100 episode show, on Showtime or did Warner just kill the project altogether.

I haven't heard anything new, but then again, I haven't been paying close attention to that project.

Staff
#11 Posted by The Stegman (23815 posts) - - Show Bio
As others have said, it would be better on tv, maybe on AMC or HBO.
#12 Posted by JohnnyGat (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

Why?

...pun intended

#13 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see this happen. One of the best series i have read...Air would be fun too.

#14 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to agree 100% this just would seem far better if given a TV series treatment than a movie. I've still only read a small portion of the series and loved it.

#15 Posted by danhimself (22457 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah I have to agree with everyone above that Y would make a much better television series on HBO or AMC

#17 Edited by shaktisaurus (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I rambled about this to myself the other day. Check it out if you haven't seen the fan film yet.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/shaktisaurus/y-not/87-84532/

seriously? Shia = bad choice. It makes me feel icky inside when I consider it.

Who would everyone like to see play Yorick?

#18 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

some hero movies are not meant to be made

#19 Posted by CrashBang (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see a TV series of it. Y is one of the best things I've ever read, from any medium.

#20 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14425 posts) - - Show Bio

This would make a killer tv series. Film wise if it's not a trilogy will miss far to much. Will be intresting either way

#21 Posted by PRECOCIOUSnefarious (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with the tv series crowd. Havent finished the series though

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat said:

Why?

...pun intended

Why not?

#23 Posted by MSBoyd23 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this would be a difficult film to market. There are no superheroes, so you lose out on those people that don't read comics but will come out to watch Batman or The Avengers. 98% of the cast is female, so you lose out on the girls that come to comic book movies to watch Chris Hemsworth take off his shirt (or talk). If most of the female cast was hot you could bank on the male market--except a lot of the women in the book cut off their boobs, which is a practice I would think did not rank very high on the hot scale.

#24 Posted by phoenix654 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

I concur.

I concur with the concuration... concuritude... concurring... whatever. This story cannot have the impact it had on me as a reader if it is compacted into a 2 hour movie. You need to spend time with these characters and get to like them for weeks or months. It's a concept that isn't fully explored enough, time is an important way to create resonance. This is why Return of the King had not one, not two, but at least three moments that still nearly bring me to tears when I watch that movie; You've spent so much time with those characters and seen how they've grown & changed over the course of the story, that pay off is what brings it home how much you like them.

Besides all that, isn't making a serialized comic into a series kind of a no brainer? Which adventures do you pick and choose for the movie? What side characters and plot lines do you have to leave out? Give a talented show runner 12+ episodes to really explore the universe of the story, dig into little side avenues, tell the stories of people around Yorick and we won't be disappointed with the outcome.

#25 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

TV Show or a bust :( there was to many great moments to fit in a movie....maybe 3 movies....maybe

#26 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

A movie will be great but I still think it would be better as a tv show on HBO.

#27 Posted by Jaymundo (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather watch it as a TV show than a movie. I love this story and think it would be perfect for the smaller screen.

#28 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6586 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: AGREE
#29 Posted by ThePRez (278 posts) - - Show Bio

It's works better in TV.

#30 Posted by TheFizz (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Not interested. Yorick Brown was one of the most unlikeable protagonists I have ever come across in literature. Not to mention how insanely wonky, and subsequently broken, the main plot becomes toward its conclusion.

#31 Posted by randalmeister (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheFizz: What do you think makes Yorick unlikable?

#32 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest for a moment, I have little interest in buying 10 trades of a story that sounds barely interesting, but I would, on the other hand, watch a film if it was made well. "Why?", I hear you ask. Because 10 trades would cost me around $100 (+ postage) on Amazon, whereas a film will cost me $20... or $3 if it looks bad enough to wait until DVD.

#33 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it would be a great Tv show if on Amc or Hbo and a good to ok movie given that they have to take some things out and Shia Lebouf may repel some people although I dig this actor.

#34 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: Sometimes even plots that sound simple, can be deep and and thought provoking in content because of the writing. Y:The Last Man is an example of such a case. The journey of self discovery, the humor, the intrigue, and the outright emotion in it makes it in my opinion one of the best self contained comic runs ever. I liked it better than both Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.

On the movie debate, I would hate to see it in one movie, 3 maybe. Its pretty much based on what people are saying above, just too much content to be crammed into a couple hours. Maybe a trilogy but I doubt them investing so much money and time into a film trilogy that wouldn't have the flashy appeal of an Avengers or Transformers type blockbuster. I say high quality TV show or just let it remain a literary classic.

#35 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, I just don't know if this could stand as a live action movie. Television series, maybe even a mini-series but...live action might be pushing it. That's just my opinion though...

#36 Posted by CPTAlgonquin17 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

agreed!

#37 Posted by Nuec_Sol (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia, both writers from the TV show, Jericho.

I am sold.

#38 Edited by TheFizz (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@randalmeister said:

It's been a while, but the way Vaughan wrote him as this perpetual manchild who was so self involved and yet completely oblivious to his station; Just made me hate the character. Not to say the supporting cast was handled with perfection, but I didn't loathe anyone in that entire series they way I did with Yorick.

I absolutely could not stand him. That's my two cents.

#39 Posted by eiderglast (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they do it in almost the same caliber as walking dead. I do agree that this should be mini-series than a movie though. I also agree that the way the story ended was almost a downer.

#40 Posted by eiderglast (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Somehow, Shia is the new Tom Hanks.

#41 Posted by randalmeister (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheFizz said:

@randalmeister said:

It's been a while, but the way Vaughan wrote him as this perpetual manchild who was so self involved and yet completely oblivious to his station; Just made me hate the character. Not to say the supporting cast was handled with perfection, but I didn't loathe anyone in that entire series they way I did with Yorick.

I absolutely could not stand him. That's my two cents.

I agree with you about the "perpetual manchild". I can't get into those sorts of characters. Although, I was always a bit ambivalent about Yorick. Probably a bit forgiving of Yorick because I liked many of the other characters better and the series overall. The last few issues take it over the cliff a bit.

#42 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems this rumors pops up every 2-3 years or so.

I'll believe it when I'll see it!

#43 Posted by Mr_Tasty (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@randalmeister: What do you mean by "over the cliff a bit?" Also I personally loved Yorick's man-childness. He's essentially that mid 20's guy that everyone knows who hasn't gotten the concept of life down pact yet. Super relatable and super interesting to read when put into a situation that calls for a supremely responsible and adult male. I would argue that Yorick's man boyness made the series possible, drama wise.

#44 Posted by djslackerjr (1 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the greatest TPB I've read in a while, I missed the original run, or came into too late. I would love to see this as a TV series on Showtime/HBO

#45 Posted by randalmeister (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Tasty: That's a fair point. A cat in his 30's may not have allowed for many of the story arcs and personal conflicts to work as well as they do.

I think I related to Yorick a bit more when I closer to his age. His quips were funny but I couldn't connect with his pathos. No hate for Yorick, just no love either. :) I also thought the big twists toward the end of the run (starting around issue #55 or so) got nutty. I found it enjoyable but Vaughn built-up a lot of momentum in the last five issues or so and it never totally gelled for me. I still audibly gasped at the ends of #55 and #58.

I want to state, for the record, that I like Vaughn's writing generally (I'm loving Saga!) and love Pia Guerra's art. I truly enjoyed "Y: The Last Man" but admit it has it's shortcomings... As I'm sure any creative work does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.