Follow

Xorn

Character » Xorn appears in 383 issues.

Xorn is a mutant with a tiny star inside his head. After joining the X-Men, he became addicted to the drug Kick and began to believe himself to be Magneto.

Who Else Feels Like Marvel Pansied Out?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

I feel like Xorneto (Magneto as Xorn) was this seriously bad@ss character who did insanely bad@ss things. He killed tonsss of civilians, he killed Jean Grey, he re-crippled Xavier, there was the whole Kick frenzy, etc. There are tons of things. I feel like Marvel got scared, that they couldn't do what they wanted with Magneto when he had all these things tied to him, so they pansied out and retconned the entire Xorneto "incident". 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

HELL YEAH! DAMN WEAK, MARVEL EDITORIAL STAFF!

@The Dark Huntress:
    RAGE HIGH FIVE

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By sexy_merc

Morph is your go to guy for this.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

they pansie out a lot due to fan criticism on alot of things, and i'll say yes to this.
    even if things aren't going over well i would rather a comic company see it through
    then sweep it under the rug.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Sexy Merc: I'm offended, Merc.  A Grant Morrison book and an opportunity to bag Marvel? I felt this was my niche :( haha
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

In fairness, this was DC's GL: Rebirth. Fans bitched, so the company yielded and changed everything.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt Woohoo!

@Sexy Merc He and I have discussed it in he past before I ever read New X-Men. Somebody mentioned Xorneto and I was like WTF and Morph told me to read it, so I did.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sexy_merc
    @FadeToBlackBolt: : p

@The Dark Huntress: I talked to Morph about it too. He isn't my favorite X-Man but he was always cool to me.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @Sexy Merc I think he was horrible as a hero. I liked him much better as a villain.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sexy_merc
    @The Dark Huntress: Oh, you're talking about that Xorn..
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_
    @Sexy Merc I was talking about Xorneto. xP
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sexy_merc
    @The Dark Huntress: Yeah, I just realized it after reading the OP. I usually base my first post of the thread title, or skim through it.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_
    @Sexy Merc I see that, now.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Xorn worked perfectly as a unique hero, to be honest, whether you choose to view him as a character of his own, or as Magneto's "inner star", as Morrison referred to him during Planet X. 

Since I read the stories years after they were published I am somewhat amazed that the actual story was published. They retconned it away a few months afterwards, with Claremont's Excalibur volume 3, but I am surprised it even got to that.

On a sidenote, be it Xorn, or Magneto posing as Xorn, neither would have done any of those things under their own mind. Sublime controlled them, as it controlled Beast during Here Comes Tomorrow.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

While I agree that Marvel did wimp out of the dramatic death of Magneto, this is a surprising rant for 2010... when this happened what?  8 or 9 years ago??

To be honest, I'm surprised that more things didn't revert to the way they were pre-Grant Morrison.  The costumes & the over-all darker tone of the X-Titles quickly disappeared... but Jean has stayed dead, Beast has stayed Cat-like, Cyclops & Frost have stayed a couple, etc.  So considering how those things stayed the status quo then it is surprising that they retconned Magneto back into Xorn.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    It was 6 years ago. Morrison took over New X-Men in 2001, and his run ended in 2004. A minor correction of course, it does not take anything away from your point.

But then again, killing off Magneto in a way that (to Marvel) seemed impossible to make a feasible way of making usable in the future (because let's face it, one of the points of Planet X was that the X-Men universe is stale, hence why Morrison had Magneto being killed by Wolverine, much like Scott Lobdell had Wolverine stab Magneto in the run immediately preceding Morrison's during Eve of Destruction), is not the same, or as significant as changing the costumes, or altering Beast's form. Magneto is an integral character to the X-Men mythos so I am not surprised in the least that Marvel wanted to preserve the character for future use, and also "redeem" him in the minds of the fans for throwing people into crematoria during Planet X (even though he was being mind controlled, but nobody seemed to notice back then).

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_
    @xerox-kitty: It was a good few years ago, but the topic was brought on by me organizing my trades and finding and subsequently re-reading the three New X-Men ultimate collection trades.
    AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AMS

Seriously they should of blamed it on a revived and brainwashed Joseph if they wanted to cop out as badly as they did. 

The convulted mess they left behind trying to do backflips out of it all made it even worse in the end.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercy_
    @AMS said:
    " Seriously they should of blamed it on a revived and brainwashed Joseph if they wanted to cop out as badly as they did.  The convulted mess they left behind trying to do backflips out of it all made it even worse in the end. "
    WIN. 
    Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20  Edited By CaptainCockblock

I just finished re-reading the Planet X arc. How did they retcon it? I'm already pissed off, but I want to know.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mercy_
    @CaptainCockblock said:

" I just finished re-reading the Planet X arc. How did they retcon it? I'm already pissed off, but I want to know. "

I'm horrible at explaining it because frankly I don't entirely understand it myself. Morph would be the person to ask though. But they basically said that it wasn't Magneto, it was actually an entirely different person. If I understand correctly.  

From his page: 

Another Xorn appeared named Shen Xorn and says that the one Wolverine killed was his twin brother Kuan-Yin Xorn, who was being controlled by Sublime into thinking that he is Magneto. This was confirmed by Emma Frost when she telepathically read his mind.     

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SC  Moderator

Honestly? No, Marvel pansied out by allowing Morrison so much freedom, in the first place because its Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison draws numbers, and he did and then they tried to seqway what he did back to basics. I liked Xorn, I wished Morrison would have just created him from scratch and then he could have gone on to be his own iconic X-villain. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @CaptainCockblock said:
    " I just finished re-reading the Planet X arc. How did they retcon it? I'm already pissed off, but I want to know. "

Morrison wrote and intended the original Xorn, to have been a ruse set up by Magneto, so Xorn was Magneto. Morrison had a pretty polarizing idea of Magneto, and was outspoken about it, in any case, many found his take on Magneto... interesting. So Xorn revealed finally as Magneto under Morrison's pen, is killed and done with.  

Magneto pops up again much later, i can't recall whether it was in Legacy or New Avengers, but in New Avengers the Collective, composed of many mutant powers and essences finds Magneto, and 'Xorn' makes himself known and explains some of the why he was Magneto, or pretending to be Magneto, pretending to be Xorn.  

Then later on, the brother of Xorn shows up Xorn the Second as I like to call him, or Xorn II (or Shen Xorn) and explains again, how his brother was pretending to be Magneto. Emma "confirms" by using her telepathy. Essentially all this was to stamp on the idea clearly that Morrison had essentially not been writing Magneto at all.  

Same fans though this was necessary, some thought it wasn't, but both types of those fans, generally agree they way the 'problem' was fixed, was a bit clunky, and could have been better.
    Avatar image for afternoonwalker
    AfternoonWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AfternoonWalker

I know this is rehashing an old post about an older storyline, but I swear I was so hoping that Sentry was going to turn out to be connected to Xorn. I thought the star-for-a-brain was in lines with cyclops, nightcrawler and wolverine (originally) in senses of unique powers and a potential destroyer of worlds but decides to save it instead was amazing. Also he had a unique look and outlook on the world. C'mon, the dude had such a sweet, ambiguous power set. So rare these days. Yay Physics!

NX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NX

ME... Marvel needs to pick things up.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Xorn always should have just been Xorn. The franchise needs new characters, not old characters repackaged.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.