Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Your own version of Regenesis... realignment.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

In many discussion on these boards there's talk about whether or not we agree with the direction a certain comic is taking or whether the characterization is right. In addition to that besides the talk of our own current dream teams there's always talk about whether characters are a good fit or if a writer is writing them OOC.

So then the purpose of this thread is not necessarily to see what your dream team would be or forming teams for different books, though that is welcome as it seems to be a fan favorite. Rather I wanted to see based on character personality and development, previous relationships etc, how you would handle a Regenesis. Basically how you would revamp the Xmen U at the moment.

Obviously a Schism still exist and even if it's not necessarily hostilities between the teams or at least there shouldn't be. There are definitely conflicting viewpoints and different incarnation's of Xavier's dream being exhibited in the different directions of each team. Because of this, sometimes certain character's dont seem to fit with the team or direction their particular team is taking. Basically being written out of character and kind of being a square peg in a round hole.

So based on all that...

How would you revamp,rebuild or realigned the teams? What's your version of Regenesis?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

I don't mean any offense to the OP, but doesn't this thread exist in a hundred different forms already?? I mean its worded different, but, its still "how would you fix the X-books" "What would you do differently?" "How would you realign the X-teams?" "What would you do if you were in charge" "What team would you use if you were writing" "What direction should the X-books take"

I think the X-Men books need less people working on them and to avoid worthless yearly crossovers and just focus on a core team and its characters, and you only need about 3 or 4 books. The X-Men gained popularity in the 80s because their comics were written more tightly and self contained, it was a different time for comics back then and I don't think they can ever recapture that fire personally. They are forever cursed to have directionless stories and characters and have 80 spin offs.

Oh, yes I am an optimist, why do you ask?? :D

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Koays  Online

They have a great conceptual split right now.

But really I'd think whoever isn't sticking with Cable in the new X-Force could go to Scott's side.
    Their all essentially "Utopia Regulars" anyway, and they've crossed enough lines that their wanted by the government/Shield/Avengers.
    If only Dr. Nemesis and/or maybe Colossus go it would be cool and really give some point to having Kitty on the "other" team.

The JGS has a large roster there not using and Its hard to pick an choose who should/shouldn't be there because the team is about what the X-Men has always been about.

Thing is Uncanny X-Men has taken way to long in exploring what little cast it has to even say that the handful of X-Men/students that could be with them SHOULD be with them.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: If it's so common then why respond? My intention was different as I thought was explained, its not about your dream team or what direction they should take. Its about characterization. But you feel its unnecessary, dont respond. Im sure there are plenty of threads that repeat themselves from time to time, if thats such a problem for you why be on the boards

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@koays said:

They have a great conceptual split right now.

But really I'd think whoever isn't sticking with Cable in the new X-Force could go to Scott's side.

Their all essentially "Utopia Regulars" anyway, and they've crossed enough lines that their wanted by the government/Shield/Avengers. If only Dr. Nemesis and/or maybe Colossus go it would be cool and really give some point to having Kitty on the "other" team.

The JGS has a large roster there not using and Its hard to pick an choose who should/shouldn't be there because the team is about what the X-Men has always been about.

Thing is Uncanny X-Men has taken way to long in exploring what little cast it has to even say that the handful of X-Men/students that could be with them SHOULD be with them.

pretty much all this.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@cattlebattle: If it's so common then why respond? My intention was different as I thought was explained, its not about your dream team or what direction they should take. Its about characterization. But you feel its unnecessary, dont respond. Im sure there are plenty of threads that repeat themselves from time to time, if thats such a problem for you why be on the boards

Because it's a public, internet forum and I can do as I please.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: so then dont question or try to put down what I do

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@cattlebattle: so then dont question or try to put down what I do

I can do that, because its free public forum. :D

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Because it's a public, internet forum and I can do as I please.

pfft.. cop-out/doesn't answer the question

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HAWK2916

@cattlebattle: ok tough guy. In my experience only cowards use that excuse and stupid people keep talking when theres nothing for them to say

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the x-men shouldnt have split they way they did, after the build up of scott & wolverine's respect for one another & wolverine accepting scott as leader from HoM up to second coming i hated the fact that that relationship/partnership was torn back down to less than what it was in the begining. cyclops & wolverine on the same page was excellent, they work well together & more gets done but i know the only way wolverine would truly be able to fit in as an avenger was for him to be at odds with cyclops & his ideals. if anything id just have the split between the school & utopia in all the students returned to the school while "The X-men" stayed on utopia. wolverine still could have rebuilt the school but he still would have remained at scott's side when he needed him

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HAWK2916

@xspectre28: yeah. I agree there was a mutual respect there. If there was a schism it probably could have been between Scott and Hank or Scott and Storm. The whole thing felt a little out of character for several characters. I like the idea you mentioned at the end of your post about Utopia being the home or base of the Xmen while the school is seperate and built elsewhere

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Koays  Online

A Scott/Beast schism would've had an interesting dynamic. Wolverine was on X-Force, he's seen the crap that the kids needed to be ready for and Oya had to decide whether to save the lives of their people or possibly be hurt or worst. Beast on the other hand has much higher ground and can say that some sacrifices shouldn't be made without hesitation because he was a sacrifice.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea I agree. It just seems so out of character for Storm to take the position she's taking right now regarding Scott and to literally be in bed with Wolverine, considering how she felt about Xforce and the fact Wolverine was Xforce really.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I never understood why it was Wolverine versus Scott in "Schism", Wolverine has been his willing mercenary and assassin many times over and has never expressed interest in being a leader himself.

It would've been much more interesting if Storm and Beast started their own little cabal in secret, having to recruit various members of the X-men to their cause of superseding Scott. They get discovered, Scott assembles a team, Storm and Beast assemble a team, and then they face off.

What I hated was the team selection for Scott's side, why in the hell would Magik allow herself to be a prisoner of Scott's? Why are the Stepford Cuckoos loyal to Scott and haven't they always hated Emma? The fact Scott can overlook that Magneto tried to kill him when he was a teenager also mystifies me, one of the creepiest things was when Magneto went to Utopia and Scott basically knelt in honor of him basically.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis: Thats an interesting take on it. And your version or idea for a Schism sounds alot better than what we got. In fact that would have been a more profound Schism story, in addition to the Schism coming after AVX

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Koays  Online

@hexthis: I think the cuckoo's and Emma had been on better terms since after "Warsong". I mean Nation X showed Emma sort of mentoring them and guiding them into teaching the younger mutants on Utopia. I think a lot of development happened behind the seens when they weren't major players in any X-books.

I think the problem with the real Regenesis was how all of the people were leaving for reasons that had nothing to do with Scott, and then all of a sudden as soon as they were in Westchester Scott was considered a mad dictator whose given up on the Xavier dream to work with evil Emma Frost and Magneto. The most glaring being when Exodus arrived and no one objected to not telling Cyclops they accidentally sent Exodus to kill him.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Koays  Online

@hexthis:

I think the cuckoo's and Emma had been on better terms since after "Warsong". I mean Nation X showed Emma sort of mentoring them and guiding them into teaching the younger mutants on Utopia. I think a lot of development happened behind the seens when they weren't major players in any X-books.

I think the problem with the real Regenesis was how all of the people were leaving for reasons that had nothing to do with Scott, and then all of a sudden as soon as they were in Westchester Scott was considered a mad dictator whose given up on the Xavier dream to work with evil Emma Frost and Magneto. The most glaring being when Exodus arrived and no one objected to not telling Cyclops they accidentally sent Exodus to kill him.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By XsPectre28

it would have made sense if the schism was between cyclops & captain america. it would have set up better dynamic for AvX, it would have played out smoother. wolverine should have never left scott's sife but he does decide to take the kids & reform the scgool away from the x-mens base (utopia). at thus point would be tge time hope is discussed because right after second coming was too soon but seeing hope save tge mutant race the avengers should gave been investigating then. wolverine & beast would be in a tough situation, beast is scott wrong for what he did with xforce or are the avengers wrong for how they feel about mutants & mutant threats (which beast didnt realize until AvX). beast & logan side with cyclops along with cloak & dagger returning. ms. marvel, conflicted because she has X-ties but stays with the avengers, maybe storm leaving & becoming an avenger to be with her husband then returning during AvX.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hexthis said:

I never understood why it was Wolverine versus Scott in "Schism", Wolverine has been his willing mercenary and assassin many times over and has never expressed interest in being a leader himself.

It goes back to the original dynamic of the characters. Cyclops has been trained since he was a kid to send kids into battle, whereas Wolverine, though certainly willing to do the dirty work has always been more of a protector. It's not that Wolverine doesn't understand the need for doing the dirty work so much as that he sees it as his duty to protect the innocent from that.

He was in a position where the only way to go against Cyclops was to leave entirely, not because he wanted to lead, but because he didn't want to follow Cyclops.

What I hated was the team selection for Scott's side, why in the hell would Magik allow herself to be a prisoner of Scott's?

I always felt that Magik took Cyclops' imprisonment of her as a sign of understanding and even respect. Cyclops couldn't have run the Extinction team or his current outlaw team without her, which surely they are both aware of. By imprisoning her, he showed not only that he saw her as she saw herself, powerful and dangerous, but also that he was willing to be just as ruthless as her in order to control her.

Call it Belasco issues, but to me Cyclops more than any other character has shown that he understands her on a level that no other character has, making their relationship actually quite singular.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.