Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Your attitude towards Emma Frost and Jean Grey

• 98 results
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#1  Edited By time1
    No Caption Provided

Which fan are you ? Please pick a option and give your reasons.

1) Love Jean Grey and hate Emma Frost

2) Love Emma Frost and hate Jean Grey

3) Love both ladies and I hate the way there both been treated, just so Cyclops can benefit.

4) I like them both, but I like one more than the other.

5) Can't stand these two ladies, I prefer Storm, Kitty and Rogue etc.

How do feel when Emma Frost replace Jean Grey as X-Men leading lady and Cyclops woman. Did Scott and Emma have a better relationship then Jean and Scott. Did Emma Frost make the X-Men comics and the X-Men team better when she replace Jean Grey.

Please share your views.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Koays

Woah here we go.

I like them both but Jean more, Emma's high class and mouthy and Jean's polite but powerful.
    I don't like the idea that Cyclops is somehow dragging either one down though. Jean and Cyclops were joined at the hip for most of the 90's and neither one benefited because the only stories told about them were about them being in love. Emma is her own character and has her own issues and the reason she's so closely written with Cyclops is because all of the other X-Men don't like her.

When Emma replaced Jean it coincided with a big change in the X-Men. Jean was never the Queen of the team the way Emma was because almost all of the X-Men were under one roof when Emma was there. Emma was a great leading lady for her time because it was uncharted waters with 4 books worth of X-Men at the mansion and then a huge post M-Day event, so she was always the voice of "new solutions for new problems". At the same time if Jean was around i think the X-Men would've never left the Institute and she would've arguably took over as Xavier's successor and the leader of the X-Men.

So did Emma make the X-Men comics better when she replaced Jean? She helped, but her defining herself within the team was happening at the same time as alot of other things were changing within the X-team so its hard to say how much better she made the books...but i never got annoyed when she showed up on panel and she was one of many breaths of fresh air.

The million dollar question of "Which relationship was better?" is hard to answer. Scott and Jean are the better couple, have the better story, and deserved to be treated better. Emma and Scott, just had better writing overall, and it seemed that Emma helped Scott break out of his shell while he helped her stay a good guy so their reliance on each other makes them work....the writers really had to work to make this couple likeable and they succeeded.

Emma and Scott are the couple I enjoy reading about while Scott and Jean are the couple I want to know more about. And if the X-Men should ever end i'd prefer Scott to give a comforting hug to Emma before he hops in an RV with Jean, Cable, X-Man, Rachel and Hope for a family rode trip.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

4.)

Sadly i like Emma a bit more :D

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Cloakx14

Emma frost.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I find Jean boring as hell, and I don't even pay attention to Emma Frost.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I am a mix between options 3 and 4

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By devilsgrin81

@koays: i disagree about jean ever becoming leader of the x-men. Headmistress of the school certainly. Jean, however, never showed the true capabilities at leadership that we saw from Cyclops, Storm, even Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine and Beast. A reasonable go-to perhaps, but not a first or second choice field leader.

Emma's high class and mouthy and Jean's polite but powerful.

You nailed them in one simple sentence. And it explains precisely why Emma has become far more popular than Jean for so many people. Not all certainly, but so many - including myself - appreciate some personality. Jean always comes across so dull and uninteresting, unless she's being possessed by a cosmic force of life and destruction.

i love Emma but like Jean

Jean was never leading lady of the x-men... and certainly she could never have claimed it outright like Emma did before the White Queen became an X-Man. I think Emma's arrival co-incided with the departure of Storm from the Mansion X-Men. Leaving a gap in the team that couldn't be filled by someone as bland as Jean. Jean is the nicer person, and much more powerful, but she's also dull-as-a-post to read about as Just Jean... Phoenix was SOMETIMES interesting, but Jean has never been.

I always found Cyclops and Jean to be the MOST boring couple in marvel-dom aside from only Peter/Mary-Jane. They were far worse for each other than good. She neutered him. He stifled her.

Emma and Scott are a brilliant couple. They are a couple who can count on each other for greater STRENGTH rather than being each others weakness. Which i find Scott/Jean to be - together they are weaker than the sum of their parts, whilst Scott/Emma are stronger than the sum of their parts.

Did Emma make the team better? Yes and indirectly yes. Firstly her presence brought an edge to a team comprising some of the more goody-goody x-men. At that time, only Wolverine of the darker characters were still at the mansion - all the other "cool" x-men were off with Storm being X-Treme. She brought interpersonal conflict, and thereby strength to the team, backbone, fire, and all with a degree of elegance and sophisticated wit that improved the reading of the team if nothing else. Indirectly she also gave us a MUCH better Cyclops. And HE made the X-Men better with choices and decisions that Emma may have influenced, thought up entirely, or encouraged.

Don't mistake me for saying Jean made the team worse. She was a stabilizing influence, and a powerful resource to utilize as needed. She just didn't add much else to the betterment of the team or the school (she wasn't given much chance really before being killed off good and proper).

Naturally, i prefer Storm to both, by a huge margin. But both Emma and Jean have lots of history with Ororo. So there's plenty of storyline potential for each. Frenemies and Besties. I appreciate Emma/Ororo interactions, because if not for Emma's White Queen days, Storm would still be a walking buffet of phenomenal powers just ripe for an omega class telepath to dominate. Thanks to Emma body switching Storm - that can't happen anymore. Their antogonistic sniping is also far more cleverly done than the Emma/Kitty stuff... Ororo never acts so childish as Kitty does. Additionally they reached a level of mutual respect that was quite refreshing. To see two such powerful and fierce women acknowledge each other's strength and personal value was very mature writing.

Ororo/Jean moments are very sisterly, and always pleasant. There's not much fire and sizzle, but its nice. Usually delivered only sparingly, making it more effective.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both to a degree. I have always preferred Jean but Emma did grow on me.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordMordor

why is there no option just for liking both without stipulation? Emma has become a huge character after being tied to Cyclops, and Jean had been getting progressively more boring to read until her death.

me personally, I like both characters...though I must say if I was absolutely forced to pick one over the other it would be Emma. This is probably just because the scott/emma relationship was just written and presented better than Scott/jean was....Jean was his first love, but Emma was the one who really helped him grow into the huge character he is now. She got him out of his shell and made him a leader

If a writer could do Jean justice, make her interesting, and NOT resort to more phoenix shenanigans id be more interested in her

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

3, 4, & 5

BlackBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: i disagree about jean ever becoming leader of the x-men. Headmistress of the school certainly. Jean, however, never showed the true capabilities at leadership that we saw from Cyclops, Storm, even Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine and Beast. A reasonable go-to perhaps, but not a first or second choice field leader.

Emma's high class and mouthy and Jean's polite but powerful.

You nailed them in one simple sentence. And it explains precisely why Emma has become far more popular than Jean for so many people. Not all certainly, but so many - including myself - appreciate some personality. Jean always comes across so dull and uninteresting, unless she's being possessed by a cosmic force of life and destruction.

i love Emma but like Jean

Jean was never leading lady of the x-men... and certainly she could never have claimed it outright like Emma did before the White Queen became an X-Man. I think Emma's arrival co-incided with the departure of Storm from the Mansion X-Men. Leaving a gap in the team that couldn't be filled by someone as bland as Jean. Jean is the nicer person, and much more powerful, but she's also dull-as-a-post to read about as Just Jean... Phoenix was SOMETIMES interesting, but Jean has never been.

I always found Cyclops and Jean to be the MOST boring couple in marvel-dom aside from only Peter/Mary-Jane. They were far worse for each other than good. She neutered him. He stifled her.

Emma and Scott are a brilliant couple. They are a couple who can count on each other for greater STRENGTH rather than being each others weakness. Which i find Scott/Jean to be - together they are weaker than the sum of their parts, whilst Scott/Emma are stronger than the sum of their parts.

Did Emma make the team better? Yes and indirectly yes. Firstly her presence brought an edge to a team comprising some of the more goody-goody x-men. At that time, only Wolverine of the darker characters were still at the mansion - all the other "cool" x-men were off with Storm being X-Treme. She brought interpersonal conflict, and thereby strength to the team, backbone, fire, and all with a degree of elegance and sophisticated wit that improved the reading of the team if nothing else. Indirectly she also gave us a MUCH better Cyclops. And HE made the X-Men better with choices and decisions that Emma may have influenced, thought up entirely, or encouraged.

Don't mistake me for saying Jean made the team worse. She was a stabilizing influence, and a powerful resource to utilize as needed. She just didn't add much else to the betterment of the team or the school (she wasn't given much chance really before being killed off good and proper).

Naturally, i prefer Storm to both, by a huge margin. But both Emma and Jean have lots of history with Ororo. So there's plenty of storyline potential for each. Frenemies and Besties. I appreciate Emma/Ororo interactions, because if not for Emma's White Queen days, Storm would still be a walking buffet of phenomenal powers just ripe for an omega class telepath to dominate. Thanks to Emma body switching Storm - that can't happen anymore. Their antogonistic sniping is also far more cleverly done than the Emma/Kitty stuff... Ororo never acts so childish as Kitty does. Additionally they reached a level of mutual respect that was quite refreshing. To see two such powerful and fierce women acknowledge each other's strength and personal value was very mature writing.

Ororo/Jean moments are very sisterly, and always pleasant. There's not much fire and sizzle, but its nice. Usually delivered only sparingly, making it more effective.

I have to stand by Jean here. During the entirety of Morrison's New X-Men she was essentially Xavier's successor in all ways. Storm was gone, and Cyclops was basically a lamp post, while Jean was helping to lead the School and X-Corp. During New X-Men she was more of a leader then Scott was and i think had things continued from that point she would've been the teams leader just by virtue of being a better character then Cyclops at that point.

As for Scott and Jean being boring....yes. But if you want to see a period of time when Jean as a character and as a pairing with Scott are handled well, then the original X-Factor is where to look, because we got to see Jean deal with being replaced by both the Phoenix and Madelyn Pryor while coming to terms with Cyclops moving on. It's after X-factor returned to the X-Men that Jean and Scott became the white bred couple that only had stories about their love being challenged again.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

i will concede the X-Factor point, unreservedly.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By HAWK2916

If I had to pick it would be #3. I love them both. I dont like the way Emma is currently being written but neither do I think Cyclops drags either down. Jean is cool though she can be written boring and is mishandled by most writers, but so are others. I hate that Jean has died and been brought back a few times. The Dark Phoenix Saga was her triumph and it has been cheapened to a degree. Thats not to say I havent enjoyed her character, but if they were just now bringing her back reincarnated as say Hope, then that would be great imo. I kind of want Jean to just stay around and be headmistress of the school or something. Emma is high-class and there is even more potential with stories for her.

So for me both of them are awesome in my opinion.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kidchipotle

Three for me.

Jean Grey is one of my favorite female characters and I think Emma is a great character as well. But I don't like how they're both Scott's arm candy AND I hate how Marvel treats Jean like crap. (Dead alive dead alive Scott wah wah wah dead for TEN YEARS). I'm glad Emma and Scott have separated, I hope this will allow Emma to grow into her own again (though I admit Bendis has NOT been handling her well). I really wish they would just revive Jean as well. I know she has her haters but thats Marvel's fault for making her that way. If/When Jean comes back I hope it's a prominent and strong leading roll - and I hope she gets back with Scott (despite me saying previous she was his arm candy).

I can go deeper into detail but I don't have the time atm.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Emma Frost is the sauce brah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sort of 5 (I wouldn't say I can't stand Jean).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I can't stand Emma, literally everything I've read her in has only intensified my dislike for her. As for Jean..she's nothing to me, I don't like her, i don't hate her, she's perfectly grey.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beautiful artwork. I will go with number 3. I love them both and didn't like the way they've been portrayed...just to make Cyclops look like the most effective. Anyone knows who did this masterpiece? it look awesome...and very elegant.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

love jean.

i agree with this

I have to stand by Jean here. During the entirety of Morrison's New X-Men she was essentially Xavier's successor in all ways. Storm was gone, and Cyclops was basically a lamp post, while Jean was helping to lead the School and X-Corp. During New X-Men she was more of a leader then Scott was and i think had things continued from that point she would've been the teams leader just by virtue of being a better character then Cyclops at that point.

Jean may have not claimed rightful leadership but she did fill xavier's and scott's shoes for a time. It was a very awkward transition where people didnt even notice that she was already acting as a leader. She kept the team together. she definitely is the heart of the x-men

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like neither of them. Jean's so boring and her trial doesn't intrigue me. And for Emma, she's quite about the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Alright, this might be long.

I love both characters. Jean Grey may have started out as an overly polite, overly perfect character, but once Chris Claremont came into the picture, her character became much more interesting. And yes, the Phoenix did play a large role in doing so. It wasn't just the Phoenix, though--it was how she reacted to it. She liked how the power made her feel. In Proteus, she was kind of a witch and enjoyed flaunting her abilities in front of people. In the Dark Phoenix Saga, she didn't mind abusing her powers to erase the memories of Kitty Pryde's father. After her death, her character was painfully dull but became interesting in Grant Morrison's New X-Men when she tried so hard to be perfect that she became a bit of a witch. Also, let's not forget her unresolved feelings for Wolverine.

Emma Frost, on the other hand, has the "once a villain, now a hero" background, which is already interesting. Also, she's not ashamed of who she is. When her nose got broken in New X-Men, the first thing she did was complain about how many cosmetic surgeries she had to perfect her nose. Some of her moments in New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men literally made me laugh out loud. I liked her relationship with Scott because part of what made the relationship work was how they fed off each other's dysfunction.

With all that said, Emma Frost is my favorite X-women, with Jean Grey being a close second.

Of course, some of my interpretation might be completely wrong, and if that's the case, do feel free to correct me.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Moonlighterstone

I'm gonna go with number 4. I like them both, but I like Jean better.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

@arturocalakayvee said: @time

Three for me.

Jean Grey is one of my favorite female characters and I think Emma is a great character as well. But I don't like how they're both Scott's arm candy AND I hate how Marvel treats Jean like crap. (Dead alive dead alive Scott wah wah wah dead for TEN YEARS). I'm glad Emma and Scott have separated, I hope this will allow Emma to grow into her own again (though I admit Bendis has NOT been handling her well). I really wish they would just revive Jean as well. I know she has her haters but thats Marvel's fault for making her that way. If/When Jean comes back I hope it's a prominent and strong leading roll - and I hope she gets back with Scott (despite me saying previous she was his arm candy).

I can go deeper into detail but I don't have the time atm.

3 for me too. I Want jean grey back but for marvel i think they will keep jean grey dead which makes me sad and angry

Oh BTW Time love ur new avatar pic:)

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time1

@hopesummersforthefuture: Thanks, it's cool picture of Jean and Emma. By way,how have you been. Haven't see you on comic vine in ages.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Thanks, it's cool picture of Jean and Emma. By way,how have you been. Haven't see you on comic vine in ages.

IKR, I've just been busy, thanks for asking. :)

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By time1

cool, glad your back.

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TrekGrey

4)

Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Starr

I'm with #4 I like Emma better.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Emma, like Jean

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to go with Number 3., but I don't understand the need to compare them... GwenStacy and Mary Jane don't get compared in a negative way....

Is it just impossible for writers to write a decent story without throwing in a Emma Frost/Cyclops/Jean Grey love triangle???

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starr said:

Are you seriously digging out and posting in a bunch of old threads to advertise Emma's awesomeness?

Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Starr

@starr said:

Are you seriously digging out and posting in a bunch of old threads to advertise Emma's awesomeness?

No.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

No.

You've clearly been trying to boost your post count.. You keep bringing up old threads to add single word replies or pointless comments to old topics that are no longer relevant. It's lame, please stop.

Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

No.

You've clearly been trying to boost your post count.. You keep bringing up old threads to add single word replies or pointless comments to old topics that are no longer relevant. It's lame, please stop.

Are you telling me we're not allow to dig old threads? I'm sorry. I'm new and I didn't know that.

Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

No.

I did said I'm with #4 I like Emma better. What more should i say?

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

No.

In cases like this where it's relevant sure, but look at the date before you post, some of your posts were totally useless in 6-7 months old threads and it could be considered spamming... Same with single word replies...
    I'm not a mod or anything, but please try to stay relevant.

Welcome by the way.

Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

@starwatcher said:

@starr said:

No.

In cases like this where it's relevant sure, but look at the date before you post, some of your posts were totally useless in 6-7 months old threads and it could be considered spamming... Same with single word replies...

I'm not a mod or anything, but please try to stay relevant.

Welcome by the way.

Thank you.

I thought here you can go anywhere and post what ever you interesting in. I mean, I saw a bunch of numbers so I went and saw more threads.

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna have to go with numba 4

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a jean grey fan @time, did you like the x-men anniversary special? I did

No Caption Provided

it made jean interesting and crazy powerful but didnt go dark phoenix

I still think jean and scott are soul mates and will end up together at the end

No Caption Provided

love the even good men make bad choices part she totally made an insult for scott choosing emma over jean @koays

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I didn't really like that comic. Your right Scott and Jean are soul mates. They will end up together. Have you heard any more news on Jean solo series.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: I didn't really like that comic. Your right Scott and Jean are soul mates. They will end up together. Have you heard any more news on Jean solo series.

no i havent heard anything yet. also i have been asking bendis on his tumblr page and nothing/no responced.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4)......I like Jean a whole lot more but Emma gets 10 princess points for her personality.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By time1
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time: @god_spawn Do you think cyclops still loves jean grey or does he still love emma or both???

No Caption Provided

In all-new x-men 4 he said that jean grey was "everything he ever wanted in life"

No Caption Provided

emma admitted in uxm2 that the door of his love for jean grey would never fully close.....also she understands that they all have baggage

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

theres also this where jean says scott's true love was the older jean

Fabulosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EC2277

Bendis said: «The romance is done. They are not together anymore romantically. It’s pretty hard to come back from what they went through in Avengers Vs. X-Men. Things were said, powers were stolen, and as we will discover in the very first issues of UNCANNY X-MEN, some things happen between them that cannot be taken back.»

This is a tombstone over their relactionship.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HA Emma Frost Fans Have nothing to say

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.