Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

xmen titles

papabearg4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By papabearg4d

It seems that all new xmen directly ties in with uncanny xmen, any other titles that ties in with uncanny? And how? Im new to xmen and somebody said that i should also get all new xmen with my uncanny xmen, how does it tie in directly? Would it be ok if i skip on all new xmen?

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dangallant984

@papabearg4d: I think Bendis might be assuming that people who are interested in Uncanny will have already read All New X-men, but I think he's done a serviceable job of reintroducing the major points anyone might have missed with issue one. All New X-men issues 1-5 do sort of set it up, though, explaining where these characters are at and what they're up to.

I would also recommend the AvsX: Consequences mini series, if you're looking for a little more context.

Also, there's bound to be a bunch of Bendis-bashers commenting on this thread, some of whom may be helpful, and some of whom may not; heed their warnings, but do so with a grain of salt. Bendis isn't as bad as some people would have you believe; his writing is very stylized and not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can get through that, or enjoy it, he can be a lot of fun.

papabearg4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By papabearg4d

Thanks! This explains a lot.

For the AvsX: Consequence, what story does it tell? I want to read the series where Cyclops killed prof Xavier. What series would that be?

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dangallant984

@papabearg4d: that was in the AvsX series that he killed Xavier, one of the last few issues. It's not a great series, in my opinion, but if you want to see for yourself how that all went down, that's the place to look.

The AvsX: Consequences mini series came out just after that; it details the character fallout from that story and really sets the stage for where the X-men books seem to be going right now. And it's a really good read.

papabearg4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By papabearg4d

Thanks! I'll give it a go.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dangallant984

@papabearg4d: my pleasure!

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tomchu

@papabearg4d said:

Thanks! This explains a lot.

For the AvsX: Consequence, what story does it tell? I want to read the series where Cyclops killed prof Xavier. What series would that be?

In Avengers Vs X-Men #11, thats when it happens.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dangallant984

@tomchu: that's what I thought, but I left the whole series down at the laundromat after I finished issue 12.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tomchu

@dangallant984: you left it at the laundromat? that's an interesting way of getting rid of loose issues.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dangallant984

@tomchu: when I know for sure that I'm not going to read something again, or recommend it to anyone else, there's no reason to hang onto it. They're never there when I go back, so maybe they're making someone else happy. I would rather not have to had paid for it.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CTG

@dangallant984: That's pretty awesome of you.

@papabearg4d said:

It seems that all new xmen directly ties in with uncanny xmen, any other titles that ties in with uncanny? And how? Im new to xmen and somebody said that i should also get all new xmen with my uncanny xmen, how does it tie in directly? Would it be ok if i skip on all new xmen?

You already got some pretty good advice so I'll just say "ditto". I'll add that ANXM is one of the best books out right now and is definitely worth reading.

All of the X-titles w/ the exception of X-Factor I believe stems from AvX fallout in one way or another. All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are the two that deal with it head on while other titles like Uncanny X-Force, Cable & X-Force, Uncanny Avengers, and Wolverine & the X-Men deal with it on a more character development level instead of big spin-off plots.

I would highly recommend reading AvX. I agree that it's not that great of a series - mainly due to bad logic in the writing, but it's worth reading for it's impact on the Marvel Universe. The scene where Cyclops kills Xavier is amazing - the dialogue, the art, everything.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dangallant984

@CTG: there are a lot of good artists in that series, I'll definitely give it that.

papabearg4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By papabearg4d

I see, thanks! there is so much x-men titles, it is overwhelming for someone like me who is new to the series. It seems that all new xmen is interesting. I am waiting for a tpb of AVX, hopefully they release a tpb soon and tpb for all the mini series as well.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Goddess have mercy.

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15  Edited By RawrImADragon

read what you can afford and what you enjoy. buy or borrow or if your comic shop has it, all new x men #1. if you like it keep going if not well, drop it. the way i think of it is, why buy another book you dont enjoy just for the sake of knowing every detail, when you can instead use that 3.99 you have to buy something you'll actually like.

papabearg4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By papabearg4d

I do borrow books from my friends but sadly, nobody is reading x-men. And yes, I see your point but to me, its not about every detail but rather details that some way explains what the story is now, i.e. Cyclops killed Xavier or how Cyclops became "broken" as mention in uncanny x-men #1. But I did drop some of the series I buy (legends of the dark knight for instance) since I don't enjoy them anymore. Very well said on read what you can afford though, spend it on something you enjoy, not just on comic books.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CTG

@papabearg4d said:

I do borrow books from my friends but sadly, nobody is reading x-men. And yes, I see your point but to me, its not about every detail but rather details that some way explains what the story is now, i.e. Cyclops killed Xavier or how Cyclops became "broken" as mention in uncanny x-men #1. But I did drop some of the series I buy (legends of the dark knight for instance) since I don't enjoy them anymore. Very well said on read what you can afford though, spend it on something you enjoy, not just on comic books.

Those are the reasons I tell people who are new to X-Men to read AvX - not because it's such a great story (b/c it's not lol), but because it gives you the context behind everything else. Those who feel Cyclops was "right" interpret ANXM and UXM differently than those who think he was wrong. Similar to you, I like having that background so I not only know what happened, but also the circumstances and character changes that caused it to happen. IMO you get so much more from the stories that follow when you have that information. Sites like Wikipedia do a great job of summarizing events and I do use it for certain things, but it rarely provides the context that reading it yourself can deliver.

papabearg4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By papabearg4d

@CTG: Absolutely, I want that background so I could understand clearly what the context behind it. Another reason I was lost is, I did not know the idea behind whether Cyclops was right or wrong. Yes, though Wikipedia do have summary of the event/story, I would like to read it for myself to get a better picture of what happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.