X-treme X-men:What it is, Who's in it, and Why you should read it

• 80 results
Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

As some of you who are familiar with my reviews and strange posts may know of my dislike of Chris Claremont (I'm not exactly discreet about it). And while he does write this series, I must admit that it does contain elements that make it somewhat important for most, if all, X-fans. Here's a few reasons as to why the title should be read:

Characters

X-treme X-men is a team led by Storm, so right away that means that Storm fans will probably want to check it out. No, make that almost definately.

Also featuring prominently are Bishop (in all his pre-M-day 'glory') and Sage. Sage fans will definately want to read this title- it's probably one of the only occasions in which I've seen her appear frequently and take a leading and active position in a team. She takes on a varitey of roles throughout the stories- usually as a mission planner, coordinator and form of communication (think Otacon, except more useful), but she also gets to do the whole 'cop' thing with Bishop from time to time, because apparently one cannot have Bishop appear in a series and not end up doing the 'cop' thing. Her past is explored, and you get to learn more about who she is and how she became a member of the X-men.

Rogue and Gambit are in the title regularly up until issue 19, and fans of the pairing will definately want to check out the ones that include them. Featured in the title are events such as Rogue pulling Gambit back from the brink of death (not entirely to his wishes), one of the lines featured in the little Rogue/Gambit collage in Messiah War ("We've had our moments, remy. They're not enough, they've made me greedy. I want a lifetime."), and all in all a decent source of colsolation for disappointed Rogue/Gambit fans still upset at Rogue being in a relationship with Magneto.

Of particular note is Lifeguard, who not only debuts and is featured prominently in a large amount of issues herein, but who is rarely seen anywhere else. I mention this specifically because she's recently re-surfaced as being part of the X-men's 'Street Team'; a role which suits her powers and personality perfectly. Personally I reccomend picking up this title largely to become familiar with her- she's a fan favourite, and there's a good chance she may become important in the future.

Fans of Cannonball will want to check out issues 24 and onwards, as he gets some fleshing out. As much as I hate to say it, Claremont manages to depict Cannonball quite skillfully- though that should be expected, seeing as how he created the character in the first place. Also featured briefly is Lila Cheney, the rock star- you know, the one that's not Dazzler and that nobody really seems to mention much.

Other characters that appear herein are Red Lotus, Psylocke (she dies pretty early on), Beast, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Professor X, Shadowcat, Thunderbird, Slipstream, Nightcrawler, Rachel Grey, Elias Bogan, Sebastian Shaw, Lady Mastermind and others.

The series also ties into events that occur in the main X-men titles, which means that they kind of aid one in understanding said events a little better. Destiny's Diaries are a focus for some of the series, as well.

Now, for specifics:

Issue 19 features some lovely examples of Jean Grey being really pushy.

And above is from issue 23, in which she is really...corny. Issue 23 also features Storm and Sage essentially disavowing Professor X.

So that's all I can come up with for now.

#1 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually didn't like X-teme X-Men that much, the Invasion arc was okay, I felt Claremont didn't have the same magic he once had brought to the title

#2 Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Oh, hey, it's you again. Interesting to hear feedback from a Claremont fan. To be totally honest, the invasion arc was a total struggle to finish and ended up being not at all memorable. Pretty sure Claremont didn't put much thought into it, it probably exists just to fill space.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:

@cattlebattle: Oh, hey, it's you again. Interesting to hear feedback from a Claremont fan. To be totally honest, the invasion arc was a total struggle to finish and ended up being not at all memorable. Pretty sure Claremont didn't put much thought into it, it probably exists just to fill space.

IDK, It was kind of  a long arc to just be filler, I think Claremont lost his mojo by that time
#4 Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Writers do that kind of thing alot, especially when they have as much tenure as Claremont. With what is essentially a guaranteed position with pay that's likely to be pretty substantial and with few people to question them, many writers will, sadly, start to slack, knowing that they don't have to work their asses off to retain employment.

#5 Posted by VickyVons (232 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny i read this article just one week after i buy the last issue for the entire series. i started reading back when it first came (2001 ish) but then stopped after #10 and only when the series was over (04 ish), thought about collecting all the issues. i decided to wait until i had all the books before reading out the series now i got the last one, along with the annuals finally in after 6 years. pretty excited.

As far a Claremont writing it, I've gotten over him and don't expect anything OMG great. enough people blast him for plenty of reasons, so there's no point for me to say anything, it would just be redundant.

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the stories weren't that great but I think Claremont did well with the character of the characters in this comic series. I love the art covers too. I love the costumes. They look so very attractive.

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

Maybe the stories weren't that great but I think Claremont did well with the character of the characters in this comic series. I love the art covers too. I love the costumes. They look so very attractive.

yes one thing phenomenal about X-Treme was definitely Salvatore Laroccas artwork...good call
#8 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10547 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved X-treme X-Men, one of my favorite titles thus far. It did have some stories that were...meh...but then again so does most every title. Larocca's art was the BEST IMO (up their with Coipel). For new readers or Storm, Bishop, Sage, or Rogue fans it's a great jumping on point.

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

Funnily enough I just started buying up X-Treme X-Men stuff.

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh... Poor Psylocke. :'[ I will always remember that.

#11 Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher:Yes, the covers were certainly adequate. And the costumes were so incredibly 90s.

@THUNDERBOLT30: I found Laroca's art to be very nice, and I wish it'd been used for the rest of the title.

@The Dark Huntress: Why?

#12 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

I loved X-treme X-Men, one of my favorite titles thus far. It did have some stories that were...meh...but then again so does most every title. Larocca's art was the BEST IMO (up their with Coipel). For new readers or Storm, Bishop, Sage, or Rogue fans it's a great jumping on point.

My favorite art covers. Just showing 4 of them but most art covers of X-treme X-men are really awesome!

#13 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10547 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: AGREED! Igor Kordy's art was HORRIBLE! The title would probably have lasted longer had the artist not changed.

#14 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: Is that Storm on this image?

#15 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a big Rogue fan, I enjoyed the series but there was a lot I didn't. I really can go either way - but one thing I know I didn't like was her look. Just everything about it, yuck.

#16 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: No, that's Rogue under the thrall of Shadow King.

#17 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Being a big Rogue fan, I enjoyed the series but there was a lot I didn't. I really can go either way - but one thing I know I didn't like was her look. Just everything about it, yuck.

I like her outfit and her shades. I think they just needed a longer and better looking hair for Rogue.

#18 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it.

#19 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

ok. thanks.

I really like the red colors on their costumes.

#20 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

ok. thanks.

This was my favorite look for Storm. Right up there with her classic look. Red agrees with Ororo.

#21 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@Squares: AGREED! Igor Kordy's art was HORRIBLE! The title would probably have lasted longer had the artist not changed.

You can say that again. Loved this series nonetheless.

#22 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

ok. thanks.

This was my favorite look for Storm. Right up there with her classic look. Red agrees with Ororo.

So true. That's why i love her most with her red alternate costume in marvel vs capcom 3. I felt sad that it was no longer available in umvc3.

#23 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

ok. thanks.

So true. That's why i love her most with her red alternate costume in marvel vs capcom 3. I felt sad that it was no longer available in umvc3.

Same here. I am not feeling hr costumes save for her rebel look. They have nerfed her down more in UMVC3 and her new fould wind move is lame. Storm could have used a fast lightning projectile or something. All her more powerful moves have a significant execution delay. She was much better in MVC & MVC2.

#24 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

ok. thanks.

Same here. I am not feeling hr costumes save for her rebel look. They have nerfed her down more in UMVC3 and her new fould wind move is lame. Storm could have used a fast lightning projectile or something. All her more powerful moves have a significant execution delay. She was much better in MVC & MVC2.

True. But Storm is better in UMVC3 only that, most characters have also become better, especially those with fast otgs cos they're faster now that they can connect combos. But Storm's typhoon is still too slow to connect combos. BUt please check the last 2 videos I have posted on that Know Storm more in UMVC3 thread and if you're able to execute it, then you'll have a better Storm.

#25 Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher:Nope. If it is, the artist really needs to re-think his career.

@lykopis: No kidding. After the first ten or so comics when they changed the artist, they made her look HORRIBLE.

#26 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares said:

@jhazzroucher:Nope. If it is, the artist really needs to re-think his career.

@lykopis: No kidding. After the first ten or so comics when they changed the artist, they made her look HORRIBLE.

like i said, i love the cover art. but the inside, there were some that were good but for the Storm: The Arena issues, i didn't like the art inside. i only love the cover.

#27 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: Yep. I had to avert my eyes....

#28 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: I hear you - just, Rogue has this iconic look - just didn't like it for me. :)

#29 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@jhazzroucher: I hear you - just, Rogue has this iconic look - just didn't like it for me. :)

I see. I like Rogue's uniform in xtreme cos it's bright red and looks very attractive. I just think there's something lacking with her face and i think she should have a longer hair so she'd look better.

#30 Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher:They really stressed this 'biker chick' look for her alot in the comics, which kind of required her to have short hair. Her current look is a lot more mature and almost elegant- in a way she's become way more refined.

#31 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares said:

@jhazzroucher:They really stressed this 'biker chick' look for her alot in the comics, which kind of required her to have short hair. Her current look is a lot more mature and almost elegant- in a way she's become way more refined.

True.

#32 Posted by poisonfleur (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

I just started reading this, So far I read books 1, savage land 1.5, Storm the Arena, and am now on book 2.

#33 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Bishop calling Thunderbird a rookie at least 10 times and issue..

#34 Edited by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Treme X-Men is a title I should have liked. Bishop...awesome! Psylocke...awesome! Thunderbird...meh, but Chris Claremont...awesome! I should have liked it, but there was just something off about it. Maybe it was the artwork. Maybe it was the fact that New X-Men, Exiles and X-Statix were all on my pull list at the same time, but X-Treme X-Men never did much for me. A while back the first issue popped up as a free download on the Marvel comics app, so I downloaded it and gave it another chance. 10 years later I still wasn't all about it, though it did make me wonder whatever happened to Sage and Thunderbird...

#35 Edited by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: Yeah, that's a pretty good question, where are they these days? With recent sightings of minor characters like Outlaw in X-men titles, their absence is kind of conspicuous...

For those of you who disagree with Jhazz's statement about the Arena storyline:

@Nudeviking: Oh, heard about the app, is it any good? What's the average price for comics with it?

I can see why it would be underwhelming compared to titles like X-statix. The writing itself in X-treme was rather unimaginative compared to some of Claremont's other stuff- it's like he was just trying to include as many popular tropes as he could while still making the plot coherent.

#36 Edited by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares said:

@Nudeviking: Oh, heard about the app, is it any good? What's the average price for comics with it?

I can see why it would be underwhelming compared to titles like X-statix. The writing itself in X-treme was rather unimaginative compared to some of Claremont's other stuff- it's like he was just trying to include as many popular tropes as he could while still making the plot coherent.

The app is pretty decent. It's probably better on an ipad than a phone just due to size issues, but even on an iphone it does a decent job of zooming in on text and stuff so you can read. Pricing varies. New stuff goes for cover price, older stuff is 1.99 I think. They do one day .99 sales on Mondays and occasionally other times during the week too which is nice if they happen to have a sale on an older arc you want to check out. And they have comics that they'll put up for free every week. I still prefer holding an actual book in my hands, but the app is decent for the commute to and from work. Especially with the free books.

#37 Posted by Squares (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking:Cool, might have to check it out. I'll have to get an iPod first, though... :P

#38 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares said:

@jhazzroucher: Yeah, that's a pretty good question, where are they these days? With recent sightings of minor characters like Outlaw in X-men titles, their absence is kind of conspicuous...

For those of you who disagree with Jhazz's statement about the Arena storyline:

True. I tried to focus on the story and not really see the images because the images inside were horrible. I only love the cover art. BUt I don't know if the art inside on other issues were also ugly. Which issue did the ugly art started by the way?

#39 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

True. I tried to focus on the story and not really see the images because the images inside were horrible. I only love the cover art. BUt I don't know if the art inside on other issues were also ugly. Which issue did the ugly art started by the way?

I always thought that the art was kind of ugly, but it got really bad when Igor Koredy took over (issue 24? 25?).

#40 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking said:

@jhazzroucher said:

I always thought that the art was kind of ugly, but it got really bad when Igor Koredy took over (issue 24? 25?).

I see. thanks for the answer.

and to prove that the cover arts were awesome, here's an example. : )

#41 Posted by butterflykyss (3918 posts) - - Show Bio

the stories i did read, like arena, i found enjoyable.

#42 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

the stories i did read, like arena, i found enjoyable.

it was only the arena that i have from x-treme x-men. But I think I'll try to check the other issues. I'll take a look on our local bookstore if they have a graphic novel for other xtreme xmen issues

#43 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked X-treme

#44 Posted by butterflykyss (3918 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate said:

I liked X-treme

Why? what did you like most about the story??

#45 Posted by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: was the x treme x men at all connected to the regular marvel U?

#46 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio
@DATNIGGA said:

@Squares: was the x treme x men at all connected to the regular marvel U?

Yes, 100%. >.>
#47 Posted by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: really? how does it connect to storys like uncanny & astonishing exactly? cause i read a few issues & they didnt really seem like it

#48 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio
@DATNIGGA said:

@AgeofHurricane: really? how does it connect to storys like uncanny & astonishing exactly? cause i read a few issues & they didnt really seem like it

Yes. It was set during Morrison's run of New X-Men. X-Treme X-Men was a completely different team lead by Storm (as you already know) she created it because she didn't exactly believe Charles could be trusted with the information that she and her team were going to dig up, that he wasn't really being his trueself. Not to mention, there MANY instances when Jean came in and featured in a couple issue, she even had a chat with Storm about the troubles that were going on with Cassandra Nova (which was occuring in New X-Men). It ended in 2004 and with that it doesnt connect with titles like Astonishing because 1. Astonishing started like right after it ended and 2.It's not supposed to. After X-Treme got cancelled the titles initial team moved onto the Uncanny X-Men title starting from #444 while Rogue and Gambit went on to star in Adjectiveless X-Men,
#49 Posted by RoboShark (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

I've stayed away from this cause of the X-treme thing just screamed fail to me.

#50 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3582 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I actually didn't like X-teme X-Men that much, the Invasion arc was okay, I felt Claremont didn't have the same magic he once had brought to the title

I agree. I didn't like the artwork or the costumes, either, though. It seemed like a very vapid series. I was reading "New X-Men" during it's run, so I never really felt the need to get invested in it. Did they ever find Destiny's diaries? Why did they want to hide them in the first place? Did Mystique know anything about them?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.