X-Students: multiple choice student elections

• 79 results
Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: X-Students: multiple choice student elections (54 votes)

Anole 37%
Armor 61%
Blindfold 30%
Bling 19%
Broo 15%
Cipher 15%
Crosta 2%
Dust 57%
Ernst 4%
Eye-boy 9%
Face 4%
Genesis 30%
Gentle 17%
Glob Herman 4%
Greymalkin 7%
Hellion 56%
Indra 15%
Quentin Quire 41%
Match 17%
Mercury 41%
No-girl 11%
Oya 30%
Pixie 56%
Primal 7%
Rockslide 41%
Shark-girl 7%
Sprite 6%
the Cuckoos 48%
Surge 44%
Trance 13%
Transonic 11%
Velocidad 7%

Vote for as many characters as you'd want to see on a student team! or, just vote for all of your favorites. I wanna see what kind of team we'd get from a top ten most popular characters.

And, y'know, feel free to comment on what you think a good team size/function would be, who you would have as an instructor, etc..

#1 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Firstly, imo, no instructors. These X-Men should be independent of any incompetent authoritarians.

#2 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering the same thing. I just read Young X-Men for the first time yesterday and liked the book despite all the haters online.

#3 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Just bring the old New X-Men, from the Messiah Complex time, with Pixie thrown in.

I liked Scott with the old team, but I like the JGS so probably Kitty as a mentor.

#4 Edited by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

From the list, my team would be

• Hellion
  • Surge
  • Armor
  • Pixie
  • Rockslide
  • Dust
  • The Cuckoos/or Blindfold
  • Genesis

But ideally I'd actually like to add Elixir and X-23 to even out the roster.

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

@backflip said:

From the list, my team would be

• Hellion
  • Surge
  • Armor
  • Pixie
  • Rockslide
  • Dust
  • The Cuckoos/or Blindfold
  • Genesis

But ideally I'd actually like to add Elixir and X-23 to even out the roster.

Add in Anole & Mercury and this would have been by rooster pick too.

#6 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering the same thing. I just read Young X-Men for the first time yesterday and liked the book despite all the haters online.

The shame!

#7 Edited by frozenedge (1294 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Hellion, Anole, Dust, Surge, Oya, Pixie, Armor, Quentin, Match, Mercury, and Rockslide. Now I know this is a big team so it could probably be a rotating team of 6

#8 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

First Update (10 voters):

So, the early results are that Dust is in the lead with 90%, Armor and Pixie are tied for 2nd with 70% each, and Rockslide is in 3rd with 60%.

Hellion and Oya both got 50%, and Anole, Quire, Surge, and the Cuckoos round out the top 10 (12?) with 40% each. Which would make a team like this..

..pretty cool. I'd be okay with that, even if it doesn't have all my favorites. But it's still early, and there's a bunch of characters still just bellow this with 30% each.

#9 Posted by CTG (231 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Dust

• Surge
  • Hellion
  • Rockslide
  • Cuckoos
  • Eye-Boy
  • Armor
  • Blindfold

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:
  • Dust

• Surge
  • Hellion
  • Rockslide
  • Cuckoos
  • Eye-Boy
  • Armor
  • Blindfold

cool team.. is that who you voted for?

#11 Edited by CTG (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:
  • Dust

• Surge
  • Hellion
  • Rockslide
  • Cuckoos
  • Eye-Boy
  • Armor
  • Blindfold

Yep.

I gotta ask you guys though - what about Dust appeals to you? She's a pretty high vote getter and that surprises me.

I'm Muslim and anyone who lives in the US knows there's a strong anti-Muslim sentiment here, which is part of the reason I'm surprised she's so popular (at least according to this small poll).

When she was first introduced, I was skeptical b/c she had a fairly stereotypical power - I mean really, an Arab with the power of sand? However as I read more and more New X-Men, I feel like she was written extremely well. The writing made an interesting character, while sticking to the lifestyle of a young Muslim (ie her initial interactions with Surge, turning down Jay Guthrie when he asked her to the dance, etc). They even had some fun with it during the Purifiers attack on the school when Rockslide saw her w/o garb on. Now to any Muslim who hasn't read the book would be turned back by hearing about that sequence, but the way it was executed was extremely funny - especially considering the Purifier's attack on the school was a pretty brutal read.

So I ask, what appeals to you guys about Dust? I'm really interested in your thoughts.

#12 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

I gotta ask you guys though - what about Dust appeals to you? She's a pretty high vote getter and that surprises me.

I'm Muslim and anyone who lives in the US knows there's a strong anti-Muslim sentiment here, which is part of the reason I'm surprised she's so popular (at least according to this small poll).

When she was first introduced, I was skeptical b/c she had a fairly stereotypical power - I mean really, an Arab with the power of sand? However as I read more and more New X-Men, I feel like she was written extremely well. The writing made an interesting character, while sticking to the lifestyle of a young Muslim (ie her initial interactions with Surge, turning down Jay Guthrie when he asked her to the dance, etc). They even had some fun with it during the Purifiers attack on the school when Rockslide saw her w/o garb on. Now to any Muslim who hasn't read the book would be turned back by hearing about that sequence, but the way it was executed was extremely funny - especially considering the Purifier's attack on the school was a pretty brutal read.

So I ask, what appeals to you guys about Dust? I'm really interested in your thoughts.

I think you kind of answered your own question there, for me. I just always liked her character.

I'm not going to say I wasn't also a bit surprised, simply because I didn't realize she was so popular. I dunno, I'm not American, so I've never bought into all that crazy racism you hear about from the 'States.

#13 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I specifically limited my voting to 10 members. I'm not as well versed with these characters as many other forum members are, but based on my limited experience this is who I selected and why.

1. Anole - Interesting character design and power set. Openly gay.
  2. Armor - Japanese. Loved her in Wood's W&tXM: Alpha and Omega.
  3. Blindfold - Flawed character with unusual speech that I've grown to appreciate in X-Men Legacy.
  4. Cipher - This maybe silly, but I want to read more about this ghost type character with dreads. Predator, anyone?
  5. Dust - Nice power set. Cultural diversity. Strong female character.
  6. Greymalkin - An ancestor to Professor X that is a few centuries old. Reverse of old solar powered hero. Closet gay?
  7. Quentin Quire - Rebellious little punk Omega level psychic.
  8. Oya - A character that openly explores religion and is trying to find herself.
  9. Pixie - Welsh. Magic user. Teleporter. Spunky.
  10. Rockslide - Powerhouse character with a bit of an attitude. Friends with Anole.

I feel this is a well balanced group power-wise but with enough differences and diversity to create interesting story-lines.

#14 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

At first glance Dust does seem stereotypical, but she really is not. The stereotype of the Muslim woman is weak and subservient to her male counterparts. Dust is nothing like that. She is a strong female character that portrays Islam in a positive and respectful way.

I would touch on America's narrow-minded views regarding Muslims, but I don't have the time or patience to deal with the subject. I'll just say that I'm ashamed.

#15 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Anole - Interesting character design and power set. Openly gay.
  2. Armor - Japanese. Loved her in Wood's W&tXM: Alpha and Omega.
  3. Blindfold - Flawed character with unusual speech that I've grown to appreciate in X-Men Legacy.
  4. Cipher - This maybe silly, but I want to read more about this ghost type character with dreads. Predator, anyone?
  5. Dust - Nice power set. Cultural diversity. Strong female character.
  6. Greymalkin - An ancestor to Professor X that is a few centuries old. Reverse of old solar powered hero. Closet gay?
  7. Quentin Quire - Rebellious little punk Omega level psychic.
  8. Oya - A character that openly explores religion and is trying to find herself.
  9. Pixie - Welsh. Magic user. Teleporter. Spunky.
  10. Rockslide - Powerhouse character with a bit of an attitude. Friends with Anole.

I feel this is a well balanced group power-wise but with enough differences and diversity to create interesting story-lines.

I would like this team a lot too, I think.

Armor and Blindfold caught my eye though; have you read Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men?

Because that's where I first got into these two characters, and if you're interested in them, this was the book that they both first debuted in.

#16 Edited by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive been practically screaming for a team of students since academy x ended. My team is Hellion,Surge, X-23, Dust, Mercury, Armor, Pixie and either Gentle or Rockslide. I need another male on the team but l dont really care for Rockslide. I like Gentle but he's got to be more willing to fight. I guess Match would fit though I want Oya too so thats a little redundant. I dont want Quentin Quire and I dont want Anole. I guess i could deal with just Hellion on the team and maybe the 1st mission is fiinf Elixir

#17 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: why don't you like Quire or Anole?

#18 Edited by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Quire is just hard to be taken seriously. I think the concept of Eye boy is a bit ridiculous. Anole Ive never really liked. I always thought he was just a knockoff version of nightcrawler. Plus and I dont want to get into a huge discussion here, i feel like people focus too much on his sexuality instead of his power set and I dont want that. Just so nobody gets offended, for the record I love Bling,Karma and Mystique. Rictor is bad ass too.

#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: I think I know what you mean about Quire, but I guess that's part of why I like him. He's sort of a Pan-like figure, you can't really take him seriously, because he's such a little punk, but he does make things happen. If it were me, I'd keep him around as main supporting character but not have him actually on the team.

And, though I do like Anole, I know what you mean about people focusing on his sexuality; It's something that's only been hinted at in the comics, and if he's not in any kind of romantic relationship it just seems gratuitous to bother getting into the sexual preferences of teenage children. Maybe if he'd ever been shown to have a crush on someone, it would be different; then it would be developing character and relationships that could actually shape the story.. beyond that, it's pretty irrelevant.

Then again, maybe if I was a teenager who had yet to discover what my sexual preferences were due to not having any sexual experience, and thus had yet to identify with any specific preference (which I must have been at one time), then I can see why I might identify with Anole, who seems to have that same approach. I actually think one of the more refreshing things about Anole is that he's a teenager who doesn't seem concerned with sexuality at all, let alone defining himself by concepts of sexual identity, and it seems that it's primarily for that reason that everyone just assumes he's gay.

I don't care if he's gay or not, it has nothing to do with what I like about his character; but I do think it's more interesting that he genuinely doesn't seem to care about it.

#20 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@ctg said:
  • Dust

• Surge
  • Hellion
  • Rockslide
  • Cuckoos
  • Eye-Boy
  • Armor
  • Blindfold

Yep.

I thought she was a good character on her teams because she has a personality that balances out the others. Like Pixie and surge and Rockslide are all kind of high energy characters, while dust is more mature and serene. She always came across as like the rational one ahahaha. Those kind of characters don't tend to exist often on comic book 'teen' teams so she kind of stood out for me for that. Plus she comes across as someone who would do anything for her friends.

And her power is badass! when i first read about her i was like wait what her power is sand? really? that seems kinda lame oh wait ohMYGOD SHE JUST STRIPPED THE SKIN OFF THAT GUYS HAND HOLY SHIT SAND CAN DO THAT?!

#21 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: yea. I think u actually said that a bot better than I could. Im going back and reading academy x just so i can get familiar with his power set cuz honestly i dont remember him doing much. Its just like how Match was supposed to be a leader of a squad but I never seen leadership qualities from him. I really really dont like rockslides character. I guess i could just have Hellion as the only male on the team if need be

#22 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Forgot to vote for the Cuckoos :(

#23 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I don't care if he's gay or not, it has nothing to do with what I like about his character; but I do think it's more interesting that he genuinely doesn't seem to care about it.

I agree. Yeah he is a bit of a Nightcrawler knock off, but I still like him.

@oldnightcrawler said:

Armor and Blindfold caught my eye though; have you read Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men?

Because that's where I first got into these two characters, and if you're interested in them, this was the book that they both first debuted in.

Yeah, I'm still learning where all these youngsters debuted. I basically stopped reading X-Men when Morrison's run started. Last year, I went back and finished Morrison's run so I'm familiar with Quire, Dust, No Girl, the Cuckoos and Glob's debut. I have the first trade of Astonishing but still need to finish the rest. I knew Blindfold was associated with that run, but not Armor.

I'm reading Aaron's W&tXM so I'm familiar with Broo, Eyeboy, Sharkgirl, and Genisis.

Greymalkin and Cipher were in Young X-Men. Maybe Rockslide too.

Oya is part of the Five Lights which I haven't read yet.

I'm assuming Pixie, Anole, Bling, Hellion, Mercury, and Surge were debuted in New Mutants or New X-men.

I'm not familiar with the others. Hellion seems really popular.

#24 Edited by CTG (231 posts) - - Show Bio

For the record, I couldn't stand Eyeboy at first, because as someone said - the concept seemed a bit ridiculous. It wasn't until the issue of WatXM which took place in the future that showed how awesome of a character he could be.

#25 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

couldnt u just poke him in one of his eyes. Imo this is just another one of those wierd horror show type characters. By the whats the deal with Cipher whats her power set?

#26 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

No X-23, Beak or Wither?

Hellion's the only one left I like.

Oh, a Hellion ongoing. That'll do.

#27 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Blindfold beign a supporting character could be so cool. I keep picturing panels with her training with Psylocke and Daredevil and becoming a bad*ss ninja with power of being able to predict a person's moves, that would be awesome. Trance is pretty cool too. I finding a body for No-girl would be interesting also. This was discussed somewhere else but if Karima is really about gone, it would be awesome for No-girl to take over her body.

#28 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: yeah.. love me some Blindfold :v

No X-23, Beak or Wither?

Hellion's the only one left I like. Oh, a Hellion ongoing. That'll do.

haha, yeah, I totally got this list from Wolverine and the X-Men's most recent student list.

I did actually consider Beak and X-23 (as well as Prodigy, Elixir, and Zero), just because I really like them all, though, in most cases, it does seem like all of these characters have moved on. Though, now that I think about it, I guess they could all have reasons for coming back, too.

#29 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

couldnt u just poke him in one of his eyes. Imo this is just another one of those wierd horror show type characters. By the whats the deal with Cipher whats her power set?

She is kinda a Kitty clone that can phase, turn invisible, and is really hard to detect psychically. I think she can also hover or fly when phasing.

#30 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm.......That's kinda interesting but Im not too much a fan f knockoffs this close to the original characters. I think I'd rather have Loa instead

#31 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

She is kinda a Kitty clone that can phase, turn invisible, and is really hard to detect psychically. I think she can also hover or fly when phasing.

It's more about the full spectrum invisability and complete stealth. She can levitate and move through objects (like Kitty), but she an also become totally invisible, even to telepathic perception of enhanced senses.

She apparently had been staying at the X-mansion for years (since Morrison's run on New X-Men) before finally revealing herself in Young X-Men (2008); even by Marvel time, that's like three years in a house full of people with enhanced perception without anyone noticing (take that, Jubilee!). Phantom of the X-mansion.

#32 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:

@hawk2916 said:

It's more about the full spectrum invisability and complete stealth. She can levitate and move through objects (like Kitty), but she an also become totally invisible, even to telepathic perception of enhanced senses.

She apparently had been staying at the X-mansion for years (since Morrison's run on New X-Men) before finally revealing herself in Young X-Men (2008); even by Marvel time, that's like three years in a house full of people with enhanced perception without anyone noticing (take that, Jubilee!). Phantom of the X-mansion.

That's true. Even Wolvie didn't get her scent.

#33 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

lol that's hilarious. She was just hiding out taking food and spying on folks in the bedrooms and the boys and maybe girls showers. That is funny for real

#34 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

lol that's hilarious. She was just hiding out taking food and spying on folks in the bedrooms and the boys and maybe girls showers. That is funny for real

She has a singular and distinct perspective, one of the most interesting qualities a character can possess.

#35 Edited by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

What stories feature her because I honestly don't recall her in anything really?

#36 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

What stories feature her because I honestly don't recall her in anything really?

as far as I know, she's really only been in Young X-Men (as anything more than a background character), though I'd love to find out that I'm wrong about that..

#37 Posted by JROCK72 (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for all of them....

#38 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock72 said:

I voted for all of them....

while I certainly admire that you really appreciate every one of these characters, you do realize that voting for them all is ultimately the same as voting for none of them, right?

#39 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

x-23 or GTFO :P

#40 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

So, the early results are that Dust is in the lead with 90%, Armor and Pixie are tied for 2nd with 70% each, and Rockslide is in 3rd with 60%.

Hellion and Oya both got 50%, and Anole, Quire, Surge, and the Cuckoos round out the top 10 (12?) with 40% each. Which would make a team like this..

..pretty cool. I'd be okay with that, even if it doesn't have all my favorites. But it's still early, and there's a bunch of characters still just bellow this with 30% each.

With 27 votes it appears that Quire and Oya are out. Blindfold and Mercury have more votes.

#41 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

With 27 votes it appears that Quire and Oya are out. Blindfold and Mercury have more votes.

Yeah, now Armor is tied with Dust for the lead, followed by Pixie, the Cuckoos, and Surge, in that order. Mercury joins Anole, Hellion, and Rockslide in a tie for 6th place, while Blindfold takes the 10th spot from Oya and Quire..

#42 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow Blindfold over Oya, really. You Gotta be kidding me!!!

#43 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

Wow Blindfold over Oya, really. You Gotta be kidding me!!!

Blindfold is a more original character. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Blindfold. I did vote for both.

#44 Edited by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

For me if u got the cuckoos theres no need for blindfold. I mean i like her but I think Oya has more potential and would be better on a team setting as far as fighting

#45 Edited by Selina_Sublime (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Bling

Surge

Primal

Rockslide

Wind Dancer

Anole

Pixie

#46 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

For me if u got the cuckoos theres no need for blindfold. I mean i like her but I think Oya has more potential and would be better on a team setting as far as fighting

Yeah, but I'm not a big cuckoos fan. Didn't vote for them.

#47 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

No X-23?

**leaves thread**

#48 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

Yeah, but I'm not a big cuckoos fan. Didn't vote for them.

I voted for them, but I'm just as happy to see them on the Uncanny X-Men. I think I'd rather see Quire and/or Blindfold (both of whom I also voted for) on a full student team. I think their powers and personalities are different enough to not be redundant on the same team.

#49 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

No X-23?

**leaves thread**

X-23 is definitely on my team.

#50 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

@lykopis said:

No X-23?

**leaves thread**

X-23 is definitely on my team.

Good man! In that case, your team is the best from this thread -- all faves of mine. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.