Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men to Leave Earth

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Source

"Because what we have now been told by multiple sources is that the X-Men will discover that the Inhuman Terragenesis mists kills mutants. And with it circling the globe, the X-Men and mutantkind choose to leave the Earth, go onto space, and found a brand new world.

Same reality, different planet. X-Men In Space. “An entire new world.”

It was a while ago that we first reported that it was Marvel’s wish that the Inhumans replace mutants in the Marvel universe. I just never guessed it would never actually be enacted so literally."

This is hilarious. Why? The Inhumans are now on Earth and dealing FAR more in Earth stuff, whereas the mutants are now pulling a space opera thing..... They've LITERALLY switched roles!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Sorry i didnt see this thread. i just started one similar. It is hilarious if true though.lol

Maybe the mods will merge them

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would be a pretty bad situation, since that essentially kills any gravitas the X-Men have, and they would be somewhat redundant since their dream is peaceful coexistence between humans and mutants. I'd also be curious to know how they would be approaching random mutations born to parents on Earth - do those kids just die once exposed to the Terrigen Mists?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By adamTRMM

While I find all X-mottos almost completely obsolete, there's no possible argument about human representation. What critical theory is without the ones it is actually aimed for?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad Whatever animated GIF

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Later on i'll probably channel the fan-boy rage that this should bring out of me but for now...I just wanna know how many people actually like the "X-Men in Space" stuff enough to think this would be a good direction.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally don't like it...but I'm willing to see what they do with it.

My initial thoughts is that it completely destroys and ruins the point of the x-men story which has been defending a world that hates and fears them while trying to bridge the genetic divide

Removing them from earth makes both issues moot. Even when mutants separated themselves (ie: utopia) they still dealt with those issues because they were still defending earth, they were still interacting with humans and still dealing with hate and fear

That said, has that premise been taken as far as it could go? As cyclops said...they have tries living quietly and peacefully at the school and it gets attacked, they have tried being hero's and still get shunned, they had been reduced to 200 people living on a tiny island and still were not left in peace.

The closest they ever came to acceptance was youth protests during the revolution (which we all agree was a HUGE waste of potential by Bendis), and the San Fransicso days where a sizable portion of the population liked them

They had tried almost everything and nothing changed. So maybe this change is what they need to shake things up. If nothing else it's better than the stagnation that the x-books have been in since bendis. He has done some good for some characters, but absolutely nothing for the story.

So I'm willing to give this change a chance at least, even if at first reaction it flies in the face of what the x-men are supposed to be about

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now they can be someone else's problem.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't think the X-Men should get there own planet. Plus I heard they have a piece of land on Battleworld so hopefully they are alright.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll add this simple thought.... what if the result of Secret wars is two earths? Like maybe Earth 1 and Earth 2, both existing in the same universe with humans on each as survivors of the Secret Wars. This way you still get the possible interaction with the Avengers, Inhumans, GOTG, FF etc and you still have the dynamic of humans and mutants. Especially if humans on this new earth want to be rid of super-powered or enhanced/mutated beings because of whats happened before. That might actually kick up the intensity of the mutant/human struggle and might be actually interesting

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That makes no sense. Anyone remember Quicksilver?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This causes more problems than it solves. The non X-men mutants are going to be forced on the planet as well ?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HAWK2916

@kgb725:I'm of the same mind. Im just trying to understand it and put a spin on it. I would think that with Marvel pushing the Inhumans and trying to expand that, they would just turn/reveal that the non xmen mutants are actually Inhumans or are something else. Or having the non xmen mutants now forced to be with or deal with the Xmen and mutant issues might be another dynamic

@makhai:Yeah. But Quicksilver is not a mutant according to stupid Marvel editorial.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@makhai:Yeah. But Quicksilver is not a mutant according to stupid Marvel editorial.

That's strange. How do they explain his X-gene? I was thinking of him using the mists on other mutants more than anything though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

So The Mutants become The Inhumans and The Inhumans become The Mutants. So why X-Men dont move to Utopia (San Francisco)? i dont think that nobody lives there and that makes reason why they wont be on events because pretty much all characthers live and/or operate on New York. In some way a X-Men being on planet kind makes sense due to Mutantkind can live peaceful without being minority and living in equality, there also creates lot of troube like which planet or they will create new planet and how far It's from Earth, How they will create a society? Will X-Men be the ones that rule the planet and what about school? Will everyone be trained ? How ?How will people take a idea of Planet trained Beings with powers ? What will happen with Non X-Men´s Mutants and Mutants from another dimension and planets? And what about Phoenix Force, in some way she kind mutant but worst if they go to planet and everybody is equal they are robbing X-Men´s Core elements of characther deveploment.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Yeah in another thread I mentioned that argument. In fact I think it had an adverse effect on those mutants he used it on. I dont know maybe over time it kills. But I agree it doesnt really make much sense . I think they are just choosing to ignore continuity on this one with quicksilver, and as an explanation of his X-gene we will probably see what Uncanny Avengers #4 has to say. But I would think given Marvel's recent history they'll just explain it as a magical spell or something

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@makhai: Yeah in another thread I mentioned that argument. In fact I think it had an adverse effect on those mutants he used it on. I dont know maybe over time it kills. But I agree it doesnt really make much sense . I think they are just choosing to ignore continuity on this one with quicksilver, and as an explanation of his X-gene we will probably see what Uncanny Avengers #4 has to say. But I would think given Marvel's recent history they'll just explain it as a magical spell or something

Lol you're probably right. It seems like Marvel is writing everything as a one-shot these days, with everything in its own universe. No continuity anymore.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: Anybody remember the Guardians of the Galaxy run where we were introduced to Rancor's Lieutenants? They were 5th generation descendants of the X-Men and the rest of Earth's mutants who had fled the planet in search of a new "Haven" in the 30th century.

I was intrigued by the idea...even though the art and direction of the story was on the sloppy side. How would they establish a community and a government outside of the confines of the rest of mankind? Would previous mutant leaders automatically take leadership roles or would they elect a council and would the amount of power they wield influence their merit? Magneto, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Cable, Apocalypse, Selene, Emma, Jean, Xavier...or someone new?

When all citizens are mutants, do specific power sets begin to define classes and roles within the community? They say absolute power corrupts absolutely, how long before the more self-righteous mutants take it upon themselves to be judge and jury?

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As with most stories I am willing to give this a chance, however on face value I really dislike this idea. As it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the whole point of the X-Men is that they protect a world that hates/fears them. By taking them to another planet that will be completely lost.

I would of much preferred if the X-Men just existed in a different reality completely where there are no other heroes etc, at least that way they could keep the core idea of the X-Men around.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: this would explain the kitty/starlord pairing. also kitty is the new queen of the universe

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't like it, but if it gets us good stories, then I'm willing to give it a chance.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dernman

Sure take the whole point of the X-Universe away....

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well that sucks.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

.....................................And Bendis just said it was a conspiracy that Marvel hates the X-men.......................................

If we needed anymore proof...
    I'd hate to see what becomes of the Fantastic Four...

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur:

Bendis is a troll king. He says everything just to trolling the fans who he thinks are annoying.

And now a little games: find the difference! :-D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Guys don't believe stuff you read on bleeding cool

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If true, this is upsetting news indeed.

The announcement of UNCANNY Inhumans does't bode well for the merry mutants of Marvel.

While everything is still "unconfirmed", what has been revealed is that Cyclops will play a part in the upcoming Uncanny Inhumans series as evidenced in the "Things to come" splash page at the end of Uncanny Inhumans #0. It could perhaps be in a single issue. Or it could be a part in a larger story arc. Only Marvel knows.

One possibility is perhaps the sending of the mutants into space. Which i hope is not true as many here have pointed out defeats the whole purpose of what the X-Men are about.

Or

Could it be possible that a merger is to be revealed? Taking a portion of an idea from Alex Ross' Earth X, that somehow... mutants have been Inhumans all along? That the reason for mutations is further experimentation by the Kree that involves the creation of powered beings without the use of the mist? Up till now, (correct me if i'm mistaken) mutants have been seen and written as the next step in human evolution, and nobody really gave it much thought. This does however still take away an element of the X-Men that have made them so relatable to many. And that it is through "natural causes" that they are born this way rather then nurtured or manufactured.

Other than the Dark Phoenix Saga, and Whedon's Astonishing run, i have never found the X-Men's space adventures to be compelling. In space, they are just another super team. The way i see it, the only reason they went out into space as much as they did was because of the surge of popularity for sci fi due to properties such as Star Wars during that era.

i would much rather the origins of mutants be retconned than to give them the boot into space. The X-Men have always lived in their own "little bubble", but being the outsiders have always been a part of the nature of their identity. But to use that as justification to cast them out? The X-Men deserve better.

Cyclops was right.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#29  Edited By Outside_85

To me it's not an entirely rubbish idea, the X-Men have for a very long time had connections in space with plenty of stories and trips there to boot. Including Magneto's asteroid which I seem to remember being a similar sort of retreat. And at least the threat of the Mists is rather more dignified way of getting them out there rather than have them throw in the towel towards humanity and go 'fine, if you hate us so much, we will leave'.

That said, it is a theory full of holes (as always with the X-Men). For one this move appears to say they will leave all future mutants behind, it doesn't really explain (yet) why they are marked for death while normal/scientifically altered/mystically empowere/alien people are just fine with their always mutating immune systems,

But who knows, maybe something interesting will come of it all or maybe the end of it will be Earth realizing it needs it's X-Men.

@makhai said:

That makes no sense. Anyone remember Quicksilver?

To be fair, no one seems to remember Quicksilver. Certainly not for all the bad stuff he's done over the years, like people like to blame Wanda for M-Day, they don't bother asking who got the ball rolling in the first place.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.....................................And Bendis just said it was a conspiracy that Marvel hates the X-men.......................................

If we needed anymore proof...

I'd hate to see what becomes of the Fantastic Four...

Marvel HATES the X-Men!? Oh dang well then if that's the case then why won't they just give full rights to Fox then and be done with it since they OH SO HATE the X-Men.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't think the X-Men should get there own planet. Plus I heard they have a piece of land on Battleworld so hopefully they are alright.

more than a piece, they got good chunks of the planet lol

amoretpax199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel really hates Fox...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.