Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men Reading List

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I know there have been threads like this recently but those are usually just for new readers currently trying to get into X-Men. I've always known about X-Men, I've always known what was going on with them, but I've never actually read their books until recently because I've usually stuck to reading DC and never Marvel.

Anyway, about a year or so ago I started reading X-Men (Marvel in general). I would say circa Schism for X-Men specifically. I've read everything from then on. However, I want to read more stories/books about the X-Men from before that (preferably keeping it in the 2000's but late 90's is okay). I recently bought House of M, Messiah Complex, Messiah War, and Second Coming. But those are major stories from 2006 and on. My question is, what are other good major stories, or books, or writers runs (such as Morrisons New X-Men run), etc that you guys would recommend? Also, are there any stories I'm missing inbetween House of M and Second Coming? Anything after (but before Schism)? Any X-men help would be awesome, I'm currently on a major kick for them.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I could mention a few more, but based on what you've read, I'd most highly recommend:

Astonishing X-men (vol.3) (2004) if you've already read Morrison's new X-men and House of M, this is a decent place to start. It basically replaced Morrison's run as the core X-men title at the time and followed up on some of his ideas, with the X-men line up from House of M, which came out around the same time. Read the first four trades (Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstoppable) to get Whedon and Cassaday's full run.

New X-men Academy X(2004) this series picks up from where New Mutants (vol.2) leaves off, focusing on the students at the school during this period. Very good, classic teen X-men, and still very much missed. I recommend the series in it's entirety (46 issues).

X-factor (vol.2) (2006) this series is still going, but I definitely recommend starting at the beginning. It's not really "essential" reading, but it was one of the most consistently good X-books of this era. There was also a Madrox mini series that came out just before it that sets it up and is quite good on it's own.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@arturocalakayvee:

If you want a more edgey title, you can't go wrong with Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender, or X-Force by Kyle and Yost.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tomchu said:

@arturocalakayvee:

If you want a more edgey title, you can't go wrong with Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender, or X-Force by Kyle and Yost.

Big fan of Kyle and Yost, that was gritty and dark.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I could mention a few more, but based on what you've read, I'd most highly recommend:

Astonishing X-men (vol.3) (2004) if you've already read Morrison's new X-men and House of M, this is a decent place to start. It basically replaced Morrison's run as the core X-men title at the time and followed up on some of his ideas, with the X-men line up from House of M, which came out around the same time. Read the first four trades (Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstoppable) to get Whedon and Cassaday's full run.

New X-men Academy X(2004) this series picks up from where New Mutants (vol.2) leaves off, focusing on the students at the school during this period. Very good, classic teen X-men, and still very much missed. I recommend the series in it's entirety (46 issues).

X-factor (vol.2) (2006) this series is still going, but I definitely recommend starting at the beginning. It's not really "essential" reading, but it was one of the most consistently good X-books of this era. There was also a Madrox mini series that came out just before it that sets it up and is quite good on it's own.

I've read X-Factor from 2011 on, it's really good. I'll definitely check out Astonishing X-Men and New X-Men Academy, thanks. And no I haven't read Morrison's New X-Men but it's been recommended to me. So I'm gonna check that out too. Have you read the X-Men title that preceded Morrisons run? I was thinking I should check that out too.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@arturocalakayvee: I would definitely recommend the first half of Morrison's run, or

E is for Extinction (#114-117)

Imperial (#118-126)

New Worlds (#127-133)

Riot at Xavier's (#134-138) , though the second half not so much. And yeah, I've read pretty much everything before Morrison's run too, but I don't really recommend the years immediately preceding it. Morrison's run is pretty much the beginning of the current era, if you were to go back before it, I'd recommend going way back. Like to the early 90's at least; the late 90's were not so great for the X-men, in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.