X men n00b...lots of questions...

#1 Posted by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know anything about Xmen, I do of some characters, like wolverine, saber tooth, nightcrawler just to name a few. Funny though, I actually thought the guy with the claws was X-men, I found out last year X-men is a group of guys and not one character.

Anyways, I no nothing about x-men besides that they are popular.

I got Xmen 141 and 142, I will probably read them both tonight or this weekend, will I be confused reading this since I got no prior knowledge and origin and the characters? Is the story arc canon? I know it involves time traveling or something, hopefully I don't get too confused.

Questions

1. So how many Xmen are there?

2. Is there like a bunch of Xmen groups within Xmen universe? Example, theres a comic named "new xmen" so I'm guessing is different people.

3. Are mutants bad guys?

4. Who are the core founders?

5. Who are the current Xmen members?

6. How many Xmen factions are there?

7. Who's your favorite Xmen?

8. Any extra info is appreciated.

141 does have an awesome cover. Will be my 1st x men comic read.

#2 Posted by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

wait a minute....are all x men like "weird" as an they have a defect or something? So confused

#3 Posted by Farkam (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao. We do have a wiki you know.

#4 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

1. A lot

2. Yes, there are different roster for each book

3. No. They are just feared and hated by some of humanity.

4. Professor X recruited a teenage Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel and Iceman as the first group of X-Men

5. There is a lot

6. Currently, 4 I believe

7. I never really had a favorite, I like most of them for different reasons. Its like picking your favorite pet

8. Here is an excellent place to learn about X-Men history http://modernzox.blogspot.com/2009/02/x-men-primer-part-1.html

I agree

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32200 posts) - - Show Bio

@al_capown:

1. If you mean how many X-Men has there been over all then there is quite a lot, same as there has been many many Avengers.

2.Yep each comic focuses on a different team of X-Men

3.No, a mutant is just someone that was born with the X-Gene that gives them powers.

4.Cyclops, Marvel Girl(Jean Grey), Beast, Ice Man, Angel

5.There is different members for different teams.

6.Two X-Men factions, one is the Jean Grey School lead by Wolverine and one is the Xavier School lead by Cyclops.

7.Hmm that's hard but I'll go with Kid Omega or Daken (if he counts).

8.IMO the best X-books are usually ones that aren't called X-Men, like X-Factor, X-Force and New Mutants.

#6 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32200 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19536 posts) - - Show Bio

this is what google is for....

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32200 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: yea but they aren't all separate factions, Uncanny and All New come under Cyclops faction and the females Watxm come under Wolverines faction

#11 Posted by Ace_Of_Spades90 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Are all the different X titles (All New, Uncanny, Wolverine & the X-Men, etc.) standalone?

#12 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: yea but they aren't all separate factions, Uncanny and All New come under Cyclops faction and the females Watxm come under Wolverines faction

Ah, jeez. Do we have to really debate the semantics of the definition of the word "Faction"? There can be factions of a group within a group, just like the X-Men always have. Who cares.

#13 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32200 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ah, jeez. Do we have to really debate the semantics of the definition of the word "Faction"? There can be factions of a group within a group, just like the X-Men always have. Who cares.

Well the OP probably does

#14 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4189 posts) - - Show Bio

2. Is there like a bunch of Xmen groups within Xmen universe? Example, theres a comic named "new xmen" so I'm guessing is different people.

3. Are mutants bad guys?

1. There have been over a hundred different characters on the x-men over the last 50 years.

2. Because of characters coming and going from the team, and starting their own teams, there has been more than one version of the the X-men since the original X-Factor started in 1986. There's even been different versions of X-factor, X-force, etc.. Your example of the New X-men, for example, could be in reference to the New X-Men (2001), which was a book/team that took the X-men in a new direction, or it could be about New X-Men (2004), which was about a class of X-men students who become a junior squad of the main team.

3. As with all people, some are good and some are bad and most are somewhere in between. Mutants are just people with super-powers, essentially.

4. Professor Charles Xavier founded the first team. Since then, most of the core members and leaders of the team have been from his first and second incarnations of the group, such as Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Beast, etc.. with notable exceptions being reformed villains like Magneto, Emma Frost, or Rogue.

5. There are a few teams of X-men right now

• The main X-men featured in X-Men and Amazing X-Men consists of the members of the Jean Grey School, including Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Rachel Grey, Psylocke, Jubilee, M, Northstar, Firestar, Iceman, and Beast. While Wolverine & the X-Men is set at the same school, it mostly just focuses on Wolverine and the students.
  • Cyclops' outlaw Uncanny X-Men is a smaller group of teachers (Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magik, Kitty Pryde, and Magneto), but features more of it's students in more prominent roles.
  • The time-displaced All-New X-Men consists of the original five X-men from the team's past (teen versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey, the Beast, Iceman, and Angel). Though they are taught by Kitty Pryde at Cyclops' school, they don't seem to be associated with either of the main factions.

6. So, basically there are three main factions of X-men, without counting other mutant teams like X-force or X-factor.

7. Personally I enjoy most of the classic X-men characters, though I concede that Nightcrawler is probably my favorite.

8. lemme know if there's anything else, I'll try to help.

When you say you got 141 ans 142, are you referring to The Uncanny X-Men #141 and 142, better known as the Days of Future Past? Because that sounds like a great place to start.

#15 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4189 posts) - - Show Bio

Are all the different X titles (All New, Uncanny, Wolverine & the X-Men, etc.) standalone?

yes.

#16 Posted by time (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know anything about Xmen, I do of some characters, like wolverine, saber tooth, nightcrawler just to name a few. Funny though, I actually thought the guy with the claws was X-men, I found out last year X-men is a group of guys and not one character.

Anyways, I no nothing about x-men besides that they are popular.

I got Xmen 141 and 142, I will probably read them both tonight or this weekend, will I be confused reading this since I got no prior knowledge and origin and the characters? Is the story arc canon? I know it involves time traveling or something, hopefully I don't get too confused.

Questions

3. Are mutants bad guys?

Instead of anwsering all your questions. I think should check out 2 of my lists.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/time/lists/x-men-recommendations-the-x-men-titles/46980

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/time/lists/x-men-recommendations/42968

The first list is a list of the best X-Men titles Titles I would recommend to any X-fans.

The second list is a list of some of the most important story arcs and some of the best.

#17 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@al_capown said:

I really don't know anything about Xmen, I do of some characters, like wolverine, saber tooth, nightcrawler just to name a few. Funny though, I actually thought the guy with the claws was X-men, I

Instead of anwsering all your questions. I think should check out 2 of my lists.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/time/lists/x-men-recommendations-the-x-men-titles/46980

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/time/lists/x-men-recommendations/42968

The first list is a list of the best X-Men titles Titles I would recommend to any X-fans.

The second list is a list of some of the most important story arcs and some of the best.

The guys is asking for facts

All those lists are your opinion

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.