Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X Men: Is Schism the way? Cyclops is a !@£#?

• 67 results
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @John Valentine said:
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @John Valentine said:
    @AgeofHurricane said:
     i just lost interest in X-Men Unlimited, i don't know why but it just seemed pretty boring, it wasn't exactly bringing anything knew except "secret" stories of a character (or characters) that we've already seen before or were just devices to make readers spend more money on Marvel, i HAD to stop reading UXM right at the end of the Eve Of Destruction story-arc, the art was absolutely horrible and the writing ?............................................................................................lets not get into that, it wasn't that bad but still...for me everything during the 1980s as well as 1990's were good, everything was nostalgic as well as iconic, those were definitely the glory-days of the X-Men IMO, this is kind of true, though to me the writing was a whole lot more better then it was now and so was the characterization + whats with the same teams featuring in almost every-single X-Book ? i mean i know Legacy is solely Rogues now but still , Magneto's still in it and he's in UXM too , Cyclops is in Astonishing as well as adjectiveless and UXM and for what ? infact whats the point of even having an adjectiveless if its going to feature the same BORING characters on the lame adventures to gain more money Marvel, what?, i love Claremonts X-Men, he was the best IMO, some people may say he's too wordy but that's why most of us love him and now ? the only titles im hanging on to because i like are Astonishing and Uncanny X-Force , UXM im just reading until it finishes and Adjectiveless im just reading to see if they'll actually pull off some decent story-arcs in there.
    The problem with smaller issues and stories like in X-Men Unlimited is that they're very often forgotten. I suppose it's nice if you're a fan of the character, and if they're not getting a lot of spotlight, for you to read about them. They can be fun, but, in reality, they don't matter and are very rarely revisited and totally boring if you're not interested in the character.   Eve of Destruction was Claremont, right? Haha. I like Lionel Yu's art, so I disagree. I thought Eve of Destruction was okay, not amazing. A lot of the 1990s stuff was rubbish, IMO, though it may hold some sort of nostalgia.  Claremont's original run is an absolute classic, agreed, his subsequent runs upon his returns were good (Late 90s X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, X-Men: The End, Uncanny X-Men) . IMO, until his Exiles which was terrible.   The end of X-Treme X-Men wasn't very strong with the Elias Bogan stuff. The reason his original run was good, aside from Nostalgia, was probably due to the fact that all the characters were basically his and he was given license to do almost everything he wanted, exploring many different plot lines for the first time. The fact that his run lasted for so long, sixteen years,  enabled him to establish running plots and really develop his charactersHe has some classic stuff, but some of it isn't that good. That said, some of his stuff was really average and some was down right stupid (Jean Grey's accepted return after her genocide as Dark Phoenix, Madelyne Pryor mess) and I really feel as though he favouritized characters, Storm, Rachael way too much (as bad as Cyclops was favouritsed by Fraction). Moreover, I think a lot of more recent stuff, New X-Men (Grant Morrison), Astonishing X-Men (Whedon) and Carey's X-Men could be technically better than his older work, which could be considered dated. Astonishing X-Men is basically not in continuity;  it's so out of sync that any developments well be pointless. X-Men Vol. 3 doesn't really have a purpose. The X-Books need more defined teams. 
    t potential, true he really did favouritized his characters ESPECIALLY Storm, which is why we (storm fans) want him back as soon as possible, Lol, did you expect people to come hunting her down ? (though now that i come to think of it that WAS a pretty weird thing for them NOT to do), among the 3 that you listed GM's run of the New X-Men had to be the better, i really, really, really DO love that series, the new outfits that he brought for them, the new era that the mutants were set in, the new characters, new villains (NEW) im thinking of NXM right now and it just brings me back........to me Astonishing is still in continuity, its been stated by writers to be in it and now that it's been revamped to show people that it's still in continuity we should be seeing more proof, i mean in #38 Kitty mentioned the troubles that Scott and Beast had between them, so..........................................................X-Men vol. 3 really doesn't have a purpose, it's just there, i had high hopes for Gischlers To Serve and Protect arc but i was sadly disappointed, IFinKR?! and even when they do get 2 separate teams they have to be kept in the 2 same damn books, how annoying is that!?
     Ah! I understand now. I remember liking Joe Caey's short stint on the title and I only read it a year and nine ago. I may have been sleepy when I read it, though. I would not bother with Austen's Uncanny or X-Men run. I'd stay well clear of it, even for the art which was nice.  Hated the dragon woman too. It's been five/six years since I read the ending of X-Treme X-Men, could be better than I remember.  No, I just think that no one mentions her monstrous act. The whole  "Jean is Phoenix and Phoenix is Jean" thing seems to be used when it's an advantage for her, especially in description of her powers, but not with regard to how she killed a planet of sentient life forms to sustain her power as Dark Phoenix, how she tore about her own team. The fact that she came back and really ruined everyone's lives again especially Scott/Madelyne's and brought about Inferno in hooking up with Scott and replacing Madelyne etc.  Surely as Phoenix she could have at some point restored them to life? Is she not/was she not life and death incarnate? Oh, well, that's over 20 years ago now.  I'd like to add that the reason Claremont's so important is that he basically established the beginnings of the modern X-Men mythos, all of the classic X-Men stuff is basically Claremont, but NXM modernised the X-Men. it was fantastic and simply my favourite X-run. I wish GM had to have had a run as long as Claremont's. That's another thing. As I mentioned before, Claremont's run was ridiculously long, I'm sure another writer could do an even better job given the same creative liberties and time.   They may say that, but the dispute between Cyclops and Beast happened almost a year ago. Not buying it. It's lagging so far behind that anything that happens in Astonishing X-Men can't be worthwhile and this makes it a waste of time. X-Men Vol. 3 has been disappointing. The first arc was the best.
    Well wow, i remember some guy posting a thread asking the question "was Austens run on UXM that bad?", just wow, this is kind of true, but i do remember what Logan told her when Jean started to manifest the Phoenix Raptor (or was that just the DP) in GM's run of the New X-Men, also Charles cautioned her about it to when they went to go meet Fantomex for the first time and i think it was fire and life incarnate lol but i get what you mean because "She will rise again !", mythos like "X-Men do not kill?" LOL, he really did modernize them, made them more relate-able to read and it really made you wonder how our world would be if mutants like those X-Men were around, yeah, he would've changed the face of the X-Universe if he had 16 years of writing , but still, he used his time wisely.

Well to each his own, i still believe that Astonishing's cannon and as for XMv3 im definitely stopping at 15.1, for reasons already stated.
    Tchokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Tchokes

So.

I guess you do have your own opinion on the matter, but I don't see why Cyclops doesn't work as he is right now.

Cyclops isn't evil or anything. He is still the good guy (unless you believe Schism terrible writting), but you can't lead a family or a bunch of friends as 'just another guy'. He took the leadership and people are glad because he is the best at it, and he is willing to be the target of  'I hate you, leader who makes tough choices!'. I take, for example, Rogue in Second Coming, taking Hope outside to fight. She listened to her heart, and it was a bad call. In the end it paid off, but she could have killed Hope. You can't lead with heart, you gotta lead with reason and faith.

I don't see Scott Summers as a bad guy, and although Schism is shit, I could get behind Emma as a leader of the X-Men. It can't any worse than Wolverine, too, and I can see Miss Frost out-smarting Logan until these whole Schism thing dies off and the X-Men are brought together again. I will, however, back up anything that brings my New X-Men back!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By ReVamp
    @Tchokes
    First of all you should get used to censoring yourself since that's the rule here on comic vine. Second of all, Welcome! 

On to your point, I never said that Cyclops is a bad guy, I said that his character has changed and that he now has turned into a sort of "Batman". And that just isn't like Cyclops. True you should hate on the person making the hard deciscions, but the fact is, is that Cyclops isn't making choices like he used to, he's offending his team members, and using them like they were pawns. This isn't like Cyclops. The Writers have changed him. Thus why Schism's coming around. Cyclops ain't a bad person its just that he used to be a good leader that cared about his team mates, and now his character has just... changed. And its not that change isn't good, its that this particular change is one of the worst deciscions Marvel has done in the last few years.
    Tchokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Tchokes
    @ReVamp: I didn't understand the censorship comment.

I thinkt that Cyclops becoming a hardened individual has to do with the hardships he faced and delusions about everything he stood for. From the Krakoa Incident to Danger to Decimation and all that, Cyclops changed because the naive, boy-scout leader of the 90's wouldn't cut it in today's world. They are not facing Omega Red or Apocalypse most of time, they are dealing with threats that don't want to conquer the world or kill them: people nowdays target their students or other mutants, who are vulnerable. He was pushed until he became a leader fit to lead his race, not a team of mutants who defended a naive Dream.

It's no surprise that the mutants owe him the survival of their species. He called X-Force in, gave them their targets, send his own son to death because it was the only way, amongst other things, because nobody else would have the balls to do it.

As I've stated, the mutants have been through hell the last years, and if he kept being that Captain America leader, they would have never survived. I think the change was good, especially since Scott remains a good guy to those close to him, playing pool with Logan and having lots of interesting and humane conversations with Emma (something un-Batman-like). He is still human and nice, he just doesn't show often because often he has to lead, not make friends.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ReVamp
    @Tchokes: About the censorship, you have to self censor your swear words, so instead of typing out the word, you have to make sure that you put in an asterix or some other symbol in place. 

For example, F**k, F@ck... etc etc. The rules in Comicvine, wouldn't want you getting banned :P

I disagree with everything you've said, I think that its all b***s**t that Fraction made up, and that people should really feed on that. Seriously, I don't think that this Batman-esque personality evolved the character in any way, and that doesn't need it to deal with the current threats. I also never said anything about sticking to a naive dream, he just doesn't have to be an a**hole to do it. Giving the X Force targets is one thing, but what was done was in no way good to the character at all. 

About being the captain America leader, no its not like you say. Writers just want to make it seem this way, so have a justified reason to have changed the character. They could have perfectly wrote the same stories, with the same characters, without Cyclops being an a**hole. He doesn't need to use his friends like pawns, and that is probably why he's gonna leave in Schism. Because the authors are going to have him get an epiphany, all of a sudden, so that they can go back to the status quo. It makes no sense. The whole thing is just a plot device that was failing so they took it so far that it failed even worse, like some other devices Marvel has used. (Like killing off characters, Etc etc.)
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Ok, after reading Schism #3 Cyclops is officially a major SONOFAB!@#$ !

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ReVamp
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    Ok, after reading Schism #3 Cyclops is officially a major SONOFAB!@#$ !
    Haven't read it, but you just got me interested.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @ReVamp: Well, he may not be a major SONOFAB!@#$! when you read it but to me he most definitely is !
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ReVamp
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @ReVamp: Well, he may not be a major SONOFAB!@#$! when you read it but to me he most definitely is !
    Didn't seem too bad to me... I mean not worse than anything that he's already done... LOL.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @ReVamp: Well, Idie's the only reason that I'm reading Generation Hope and Cyclops basically just signed her off of it, i was hoping not Wolverine Post-Schism but now that she probably might be on his team I'm going to have to pick up Wolverine And The X-Men when i really don't want to so I'm FURIOUS !
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ReVamp
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @ReVamp: Well, Idie's the only reason that I'm reading Generation Hope and Cyclops basically just signed her off of it, i was hoping not Wolverine Post-Schism but now that she probably might be on his team I'm going to have to pick up Wolverine And The X-Men when i really don't want to so I'm FURIOUS !
    Well, to be honest I kinda think that it was obvious that she was going to be on Wolvie's team. Really, with this new "relationship" they have, I wouldn't have it any other way. But... I don't know if it necesssarily signed her off...
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @ReVamp: Well, Logans on the Gold team and Gen Hope is on the Blue team so.....I don't mind if this is temporary but it still annoys me.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ReVamp
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @ReVamp: Well, Logans on the Gold team and Gen Hope is on the Blue team so.....I don't mind if this is temporary but it still annoys me.
    Yeah, so she might be on Blue team with Cyke. Which means you won't have to buy wolvie's title, isn't that what you wanted or did I just misundertand you.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @ReVamp: Yeah i doubt that :(, no i didn't want to buy Wolvie and the X-Men because i didn't want to see his face Post-Schism but now i might,sigh.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ReVamp
    @AgeofHurricane
    o.O, why not? Do you not like him, or do you just hate his exposure?
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @ReVamp: His exposure, it's just too much.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ReVamp
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    @ReVamp: His exposure, it's just too much.
    Fair enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.