Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-men influenced by Star Trek? or Vice versa

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

There are quite a lot of similarities.
    Just a few off the top of my head...

Danger Room and the Holodeck
    Ororo and Uhura similarities
    Xavier and Picard
    Blue and gold uniforms
    Diverse casts especially for their times
    Both series have telepaths
    Both series have aliens named Shi'ar
    Sulu and Nightcralwer similarities like they both use swords
    Both being hunted by robots.
    Both series have an academy and ship
    -- & I don't care what anyone says Khan in the last film reminded me of Magneto in X-men first Class.

I know I some of these are a stretch, but I'm sure I could think of a few more-- remember these are just a couple off the top of my head.

What.do.you.think?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

OK. I don't really know jack about Star Trek, but I can confidently say anything you mentioned about the series that starred Patrick Stewart is wrong seeing as that series debuted in 1987. Long after X-Men had been exploring these common plot points.

However, I would agree the Danger Room being holographic is taken from that series, also, there has been nods to the television series in the comic book.

Some of the other things are just being compared are just silly and are just reaching.

lol.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

OK. I don't really know jack about Star Trek, but I can confidently say anything you mentioned about the series that starred Patrick Stewart is wrong seeing as that series debuted in 1987. Long after X-Men had been exploring these common plot points.

However, I would agree the Danger Room being holographic is taken from that series, also, there has been nods to the television series in the comic book.

Pretty sure the X-men had a holographic Danger Room before Star Trek: TNG had the Holodeck.

SleightOfHand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xavier and Picard

Blue and gold uniforms

-- & I don't care what anyone says Khan in the last film reminded me of Magneto in X-men first Class.

I know I some of these are a stretch, but I'm sure I could think of a few more-- remember these are just a couple off the top of my head.

What.do.you.think?

No Caption Provided

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Pretty sure the X-men had a holographic Danger Room before Star Trek: TNG had the Holodeck.

The X-Men didn't get their holographic Danger Room until around 1992, I believe, so, it could have very well been influenced by the Star Trek show.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

The X-Men didn't get their holographic Danger Room until around 1992, I believe, so, it could have very well been influenced by the Star Trek show.

No Caption Provided

The X-men had a holographic Danger Room by the time The Uncanny X-Men #201 - Duel at the beginning of 1986, so by '85 at least.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Saren

@cattlebattle: @oldnightcrawler: It was first called a holodeck in 1987 with the pilot of TNG, but the 1974 animated Star Trek series had a Danger Room-equivalent onboard the Enterprise controlled by a rogue AI that was essentially Danger before Danger (though in this case, it was more of a prankster than the murderous robot Danger was).

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Saren

Also the holographic Danger Room first appeared after the Westchester mansion was destroyed by the Sidri, so.....sometime after 1982-83.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@saren said:

@cattlebattle: @oldnightcrawler: It was first called a holodeck in 1987 with the pilot of TNG, but the 1974 animated Star Trek series had a Danger Room-equivalent onboard the Enterprise controlled by a rogue AI that was essentially Danger before Danger (though in this case, it was more of a prankster than the murderous robot Danger was).

ah, that I didn't know..

@saren said:

Also the holographic Danger Room first appeared after the Westchester mansion was destroyed by the Sidri, so.....sometime after 1982-83.

yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember when it happened exactly.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@poisonfleur: The similarities you listed are too superficial to prove your point.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur said:

Xavier and Picard

Blue and gold uniforms

What.do.you.think?

No Caption Provided

i actually hated doctor mccoy from star trek and least popular

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Cutter

I do see some similarities on your list. I'll take Magneto and Khan for example. They both seem to protect their kind, They're also convince that their people are superior to human being, they're quite powerful, and seem to sacrifices themself for their kind. And yet, in spite of the various settings, there is a sameness about much of their actions.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Carter Princess of Mars was the inspiration for the many influential franchises that we know and love today.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 dshipp17  Online

Where do you get the being chased by robots as a similarity? The X-men are chased by robots but not the crew of Star Trek. Oh, I think you mean the Borg, but, in all honestly, there's just no similarity there; while the Sentinels are a primary antagonist of the X-men, the encounters with the Borg by the Star Trek crew is more happenstance; it's probably more that the Star Trek crew want to avoid the Borg, at all costs, while the Star Trek crew and Federation are just one of may potential conquests for the Borg; the Borg does not consider the Star Trek crew with nearly the level of seriousness that the Sentinels would consider the X-men; the Sentinels were specifically designed by humans to hunt down mutants, while the Borg was specifically designed to hunt down the Delta Quadrant, than began to expand, eventually colliding with the Federation; but, even after this collision, the Borg emerges on their primary mission of broad conquest, having little regard for the Federation; so, the Star Trek crew is just one ant to the Borg; hardly the same as the Sentinels toward the X-men. The Borg would consider Species 8472 such a priority, however; perhaps you got Species 8472 inverted with the Star Trek crew. But, nice try; don't want to criticize you for trying to be creative and think outside the box.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@poisonfleur said:

Xavier and Picard

Blue and gold uniforms

What.do.you.think?

No Caption Provided

This!^ Thank you!!
    Two Blue Doctor McCoys! (How on earth did I forget that one???)

Poze11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Poze11

@cutter said:

I do see some similarities on your list. I'll take Magneto and Khan for example. They both seem to protect their kind, They're also convince that their people are superior to human being, they're quite powerful, and seem to sacrifices themself for their kind. And yet, in spite of the various settings, there is a sameness about much of their actions.

@dshipp17 said:

Where do you get the being chased by robots as a similarity? The X-men are chased by robots but not the crew of Star Trek. Oh, I think you mean the Borg, but, in all honestly, there's just no similarity there; while the Sentinels are a primary antagonist of the X-men, the encounters with the Borg by the Star Trek crew is more happenstance; it's probably more that the Star Trek crew want to avoid the Borg, at all costs, while the Star Trek crew and Federation are just one of may potential conquests for the Borg; the Borg does not consider the Star Trek crew with nearly the level of seriousness that the Sentinels would consider the X-men; the Sentinels were specifically designed by humans to hunt down mutants, while the Borg was specifically designed to hunt down the Delta Quadrant, than began to expand, eventually colliding with the Federation; but, even after this collision, the Borg emerges on their primary mission of broad conquest, having little regard for the Federation; so, the Star Trek crew is just one ant to the Borg; hardly the same as the Sentinels toward the X-men. The Borg would consider Species 8472 such a priority, however; perhaps you got Species 8472 inverted with the Star Trek crew. But, nice try; don't want to criticize you for trying to be creative and think outside the box.

The differences notwithstanding, there are a lot of similarities-quite a bit, but I really agree with these 2 here.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@poisonfleur: The similarities you listed are too superficial to prove your point.

I agree. I don't see any similarity between Storm and Uhura at all, unless you are saying because they are both from Africa and have brown skin.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

i didn't know Star trek had a Sh'iar race. This is only concerning the Next generation series, not the original Kirk and Spock stuff. http://www.comicvine.com/profile/blog/star-trek-silver-hawks-x-men-and-titans/101099/

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EC2277

Want you know if X-Men influenced by Star Treck?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!

No Caption Provided

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

I think the Next Generation may have borrowed a bit from the X-Men, I don't see it the other way around.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trick question. Xavier is a highlander and therefore has shaped the course of mutants and the Alpha quadrant since the beginning of time.

Once you confirm the fact that Xavier was using telepathy to disguise himself as James T Kirk it becomes clear that the sheer loss of crew members is ONLY comparable to the loss of students under Xavier's watch. In the 23rd century the New Mutant uniform is no longer black and yellow but a red shirt.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Frozon

@cutter said:

No Caption Provided

This

As a matter of fact, they get along quite fine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.