Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men Forever???

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 4Essence

So, I'm a huge fan of Claremont's work on the X-Men. I'm still trying to get all through his 17 year run the form of the Essential collections, and have read his Vignettes (which have been my favorites), but how does X-Men Forever fare in comparison? Does it live up to his other stuff? Can anyone tell me what they think about the book, because I'm not sure whether or not to start the series.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Thunderscream

there's really no middle ground with claremont. ya either love 'im, or hate 'im. i'm the latter. i appreciate what he did in the days of yore creating some of my favorite characters....but he reached a plateau and, for me, he's never transcended it. 

the forever series is supposedly what he would've done had he not left the book....i'm forever grateful that he did leave. it's dreadful, self-satisfying dribble. that may not be what u wanna hear, but if you enjoy anything about the x-men, you'll be scratching your head until it bleeds trying to follow claremont's plots and logic. 

p.s. this thread's prolly gonna get locked, cuz i'm sure there are a few more asking about x-forever.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AgeofHurricane

IMO? Claremont's a fantastic writer and he always will be seeing as how anything he writes is Golden (Compared to Fraction) i don't really think Forever is what would have happened had he stayed, it's just one of those off books that he work's one for reader's satisfaction to break away from the 616 world and TBH you wont love the first bit but as you read more i think you will love the rest , the only downside to it maybe that Storm is like one of the main character's starting from issue 1 for some reason and she just get's bigger and bigger(and we all know that readers don't like it when one character get's all the attention right?) until she will explode

Carolina574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Carolina574

From what I have read in past interviews with claremont and what little I have read of X-Men Forever it seems like its not just what he "would have done" had he not left the book, but he is also bringing to life every idea of his that ever got shot down in the past and at times it seems to get a little messy. 

I am a huge fan of classic Claremont, however what little I have read of Forever I was not all that impressed.

blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blacharrt

I thought this was a very interesting story and it was told really well.  I really enjoyed it.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

I think there is only 1 issue left to come out this month and the series ends. I was not too impressed with X-Men Forever for the most part (some stories drag on and it can be a very wordy in some issues) but there are some cool moments and different takes on the characters that were interesting. 

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @THUNDERBOLT30: Lol, yeah it was the wordiness that mad me get bored on the fifth issue (and other reasons)
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By jordama
    @Thunderscream said:
    "there's really no middle ground with claremont. ya either love 'im, or hate 'im. i'm the latter. i appreciate what he did in the days of yore creating some of my favorite characters....but he reached a plateau and, for me, he's never transcended it.  the forever series is supposedly what he would've done had he not left the book....i'm forever grateful that he did leave. it's dreadful, self-satisfying dribble. that may not be what u wanna hear, but if you enjoy anything about the x-men, you'll be scratching your head until it bleeds trying to follow claremont's plots and logic.  p.s. this thread's prolly gonna get locked, cuz i'm sure there are a few more asking about x-forever. "

QFT
    Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Celineness

I also like his style but as I grew older I could see what people meant by saying he writes "goofy" dialogue that you could never realistically fit into the action being depicted. I still like his work, but he (or possibly the artist he worked with) earned a black mark for not showing Jubes in issue #10. I think Forever is not at all what he planned to do with the X-Men back in the day - some of it is sure, but quite a few plot twists here and there feel more like teasing attacks on the continuity set up by later writers, just for lulz. He also hasn't been consistent with what did/didn't happen in the past, leaving some readers confused and giving his haters ammunition to criticise.

I've read about half of the issues and the annual and think it's an interesting and fun story.

geminicomplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By geminicomplex

The series itself reads like classic Claremont.....if he didn't have someone to filter him. I enjoy reading the classic stuff, but you could tell an editor had pulled him back just slightly from some of his ideas. I read quite a bit of it out of curiosity, but then found myself really like "WTF" everytime a new issue came out. Claremont writes his stories in a very specific way. You will always find a young sidekick (in this case its 'Ro), there's the loner badass (Sabretooth), the slick loverboy (Gambit), the loose cannon who is really just very sensitive (Rogue) and of course his uberpowerful women. 

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Powerzone789

i like claremont...forever was terrible though, i read halfway into it and it took everything i had not to throw it haha sorry thats my opinion
    SigTau123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SigTau123

Although it was weird and it kinda ruined some of the characters in the x-men world i treated it as another earth or a what if story.  
    and when you look at it that way its a fun book to read. 
    i approve of it and is a little made that its gone.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Don't. The dialogue is cheesy as hell, and the art follows suit.

hitchcock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hitchcock

About the only thing that i fully liked about the forever series was his take on Kitty.  The Wolverine (which lead to the Kitty "reinvention") and Beast splits were kind of stupid.  Not to ruin the plot but you can't do that to those 2.  Its worth a read but if you get tired of the story line i could understand putting it down and not picking it back up.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By John Valentine

Burn your money before spending it on this crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@John Valentine said:
    "Burn your money before spending it on this crap. "

LMAO. This. It's a terrible series.
    thaliagrace14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By thaliagrace14

i love the books

ultralord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ultralord

Claremont did a great job with the X-Men while he was writing them, and introduced a lot of elements to the book that are still relevant today.  But like most artists who do great work, leave, and try to come back, it's never quite the same.

I'm glad he left and made room for some other great writers who have moved the X-Men along to where they are now, but any true X-Men fan has to appreciate hs original work with the title.

gridlock464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By gridlock464

I’m probably in the minority, but I like it. Yes it had it’s faults… but I found it entertaining. You had this sense that anything could happen, that anyone could die, that no one was safe. He really shook things up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.