Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X Men Films Magneto Q?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

..Basically, why hasn't Magneto used his force fields in any of the films like he does in the comics? Will he in days of future past? I've read he can take nuclear explosions using his shields so seems a bit strange not to use them in films...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The films aim for a more practical approach, so he is basically more of a ferro kinetic than in the comic where he shoots electro magnetic energy out of his body and creates force fields. It is just more of a simplistic take on his power. This basically goes for every comic book character ever, I mean in the comics, Iron Man can do way more than what he does in the films...why doesn't he use all that weaponry?? Just a stab at "realism" is all.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The films aim for a more practical approach, so he is basically more of a ferro kinetic than in the comic where he shoots electro magnetic energy out of his body and creates force fields. It is just more of a simplistic take on his power. This basically goes for every comic book character ever, I mean in the comics, Iron Man can do way more than what he does in the films...why doesn't he use all that weaponry?? Just a stab at "realism" is all.

Also comics have the luxury of just tacking on and expanding powers on a whim but movies can't really do that.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cattlebattle said:

Also comics have the luxury of just tacking on and expanding powers on a whim but movies can't really do that.

Don't get me wrong but....in my opinion...this is stupid. With the technology that we have nowadays...is for them to make those characters as the way they are in comics. I mean....they finally made Iceman a pure character from what we can see in comics...using his ice sliding thing. They made Sunspot on flames perfectly. Kitty perfectly phasing through things. Why not Magneto? I'm sure they could have made Magneto using his force field. And speaking of Iron Man...he does everything as he was portrayed in comics. He has use all kind of weapons...missile, repulsors, guns, his chest beam, flight speed, strength, his intelligence...he's been under water...in space...well you mentioned it. So...I don't see what else he didn't do on film...pretty much more than what Magneto should.

Is there something that Spider-Man didn't do on film from what he does in comics? Look how perfectly they made Electro...yet...he ain't black but, the ability was perfectly made. I'm pretty sure they could have done the same thing with Magneto...either young or old.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @cattlebattle said:

Don't get me wrong but....in my opinion...this is stupid. With the technology that we have nowadays...is for them to make those characters as the way they are in comics. I mean....they finally made Iceman a pure character from what we can see in comics...using his ice sliding thing. They made Sunspot on flames perfectly. Kitty perfectly phasing through things. Why not Magneto? I'm sure they could have made Magneto using his force field. And speaking of Iron Man...he does everything as he was portrayed in comics. He has use all kind of weapons...missile, repulsors, guns, his chest beam, flight speed, strength, his intelligence...he's been under water...in space...well you mentioned it. So...I don't see what else he didn't do on film...pretty much more than what Magneto should.

Is there something that Spider-Man didn't do on film from what he does in comics? Look how perfectly they made Electro...yet...he ain't black but, the ability was perfectly made. I'm pretty sure they could have done the same thing with Magneto...either young or old.

It's not about the technology it's about giving characters powers that they are never going to need in the story they are telling and then having to shoehorn scene in to the movie just to show off some powers so fanboys can fap over.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @cattlebattle said:

It's not about the technology it's about giving characters powers that they are never going to need in the story they are telling and then having to shoehorn scene in to the movie just to show off some powers so fanboys can fap over.

But still...all those other characters I mentioned can do what they do....why not Magneto?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

And speaking of Iron Man...he does everything as he was portrayed in comics. He has use all kind of weapons...missile, repulsors, guns, his chest beam, flight speed, strength, his intelligence...he's been under water...in space...well you mentioned it. So...I don't see what else he didn't do on film...pretty much more than what Magneto should.

In the comics, Iron Mans suits can do things from absorbing magic and other energies, to controlling electro magnetism, from manifesting energy constructs, to forming force fields. In the movies, he generally just shoots missiles and repulsor blasts. I don't think any character retains all their abilities in in any comic movie.

Magneto really hasn't used his force fields or shot beams of magnetic force a lot since the first X-men film has came out anyways. It just really depends if the writer uses them or the artist draws them or not.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Maybe they will in this new movie, i don't see why they couldn't honestly and i think id like to see him floating around in a magentic bubble lol

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..I accept the movies change stuff, but Magneto's shields are a major part of his character, the only similar "omission" I can think of recently to match that was Superman without freeze breath in MOS. I mean Mags without shields is almost like spidey without his webs, its a pretty large part of his power-base. I hope they include it in DOTP but don't have particularly high hopes! A "Shield less" Mags is one of the main reasons Sebastian Shaw was able to defeat Mags before he got help from XAVIER.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

..I accept the movies change stuff, but Magneto's shields are a major part of his character, the only similar "omission" I can think of recently to match that was Superman without freeze breath in MOS. I mean Mags without shields is almost like spidey without his webs, its a pretty large part of his power-base. I hope they include it in DOTP but don't have particularly high hopes! A "Shield less" Mags is one of the main reasons Sebastian Shaw was able to defeat Mags before he got help from XAVIER.

Honestly, ever since the first film came out in 2000, I don't recall Magneto using his "bubble shields" all that much. I wouldn't really say its a major part of his character, its just a power he used often in a time when comics more fantastical. Lots of stuff is omitted from most comic characters in films, notably in most cases they are powered down for practicality purposes.

BlackBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

And speaking of Iron Man...he does everything as he was portrayed in comics. He has use all kind of weapons...missile, repulsors, guns, his chest beam, flight speed, strength, his intelligence...he's been under water...in space...well you mentioned it. So...I don't see what else he didn't do on film...pretty much more than what Magneto should.

In the comics, Iron Mans suits can do things from absorbing magic and other energies, to controlling electro magnetism, from manifesting energy constructs, to forming force fields. In the movies, he generally just shoots missiles and repulsor blasts. I don't think any character retains all their abilities in in any comic movie.

Despite he didn't do what you mentioned but, he did more than enough.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

And so does Magneto

Poze11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackblade said:

@cattlebattle said:

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

And so does Magneto

Really? If you say so. I thought all he does is walk around making vague hand gestures. Although I hope they show Magneto's powers having to do more with electromagnetic fields, not just picking up metal Ha.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle

@poze11 said:

Really? If you say so. I thought all he does is walk around making vague hand gestures. Although I hope they show Magneto's powers having to do more with electromagnetic fields, not just picking up metal Ha.

In fairness, he waves his hand around when he uses his power in the comics as well. He does control electro magnetic fields in the films, that's how his magnetism powers work. He just doesn't have purple energy to signify he is using said powers

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poze11 said:

In fairness, he waves his hand around when he uses his power in the comics as well. He does control electro magnetic fields in the films, that's how his magnetism powers work. He just doesn't have purple energy to signify he is using said powers

Unfairness...In the comics, Magneto can use his magnetism to achieve a wide range of effects...such as super strength, supersonic flight, invisibility, radiation manipulation etc. Is there any indication at all as to why he can't do any of these in the movie? If Magneto uses a force field in this movie...I'll cry.

BlackBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poze11 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@blackblade said:

@cattlebattle said:

@cutter said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

And so does Magneto

That's what I thought too. He did seem slightly effeminate in some of the scenes lol.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets just hope he does use his Force Field this time, and for god sake, let Magneto be the badass we once knew.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.