Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-MEN ESSENTIAL READING?!

zachlee0112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi, so I've been working on this for around 3 months now and am beginning to purchase them, this is a list of most x-men issues from Grant Morrisons New X-Men to the start of Wolverine and The X-Men and MARVEL NOW

Please let me know if this list is ok, if there are any stories here that rely too much on comics that aren't on this list to understand and whether I should add anymore if there's any major ones I've missed or any that would make the listed below easier to understand perhaps?

Thank you.

New X-Men v1-3

Avengers Disassembled

Astonishing X-Men v1 Gifted

Uncanny X-men v1 End of History

Uncanny X-Men v2 Cruellest Cut

Astonishing X-Men v2: Dangerous

Phoenix Endsong

Uncanny X-Men v3 On thin Ice

House of M

House of M – Uncanny X-Men

X-men Deadly Genesis

Uncanny X-Men – v4 End of Greys

Decimation X-Men the day after

Decimation X-Men 198

Astonishing X-men V3 Torn

Uncanny X-Men V5 First Foursaken

Uncanny X-Men Rise and Fall of the Shi’ar Empire

X-Men Supernovas

Phoenix Warsong

Astonishing X-Men v4 Unstoppable

X-Men endangered Species

Uncanny X-Men The Extremists

X-Men Blinded by the Light

X-Men Messiah Complex

Wolverine: Get Mystique

Uncanny X-Men Divided We Stand

X-Men Legacy: Divided he stands

X-Men Legacy: Sins of the Father

Uncanny X-Men – Manifest Destiny

Astonishing X-Men – V5 Ghost Boxes

X-Men Legacy – Original Sin

Uncanny X-Men – Lovelorn

X-Men Legacy Salvage

X-Force V1 – Angels and Demons

X-Force V2 - Old Ghosts

Cable – Messiah War

Cable – Waiting for the end of the world

X-Force/Cable – Messiah War

X-Force V3: Not Forgotten

Cable: Stranded

Cable: Homecoming

Uncanny X-Men – Sisterhood

Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-men – Utopia

X-Men Legacy Emplate

Uncanny X-Men Nation X

X-Necrosha

Astonishing X-Men V6: Exogenetic

X-Men Second Coming

Second Coming Revelations

Astonishing X-Men Xenogenesis

X-Men Curse of the Mutants

Uncanny X-Men Birth of Generation Hope

Future’s a Four Letter Word

X-Men Legacy: Collision

Uncanny X-Men Quarantine

X-Men Age of X

X-Men Legacy: Aftermath

X-Men with Great Power

Astonishing X-Men: Monstrous

Uncanny X-Men Breaking Point

X-Force: Sex and Violence

Uncanny X- Force Volumes 1-3 Rick Remender

Astonishing X-Men: Inside Pandoras Box

X-Men First to Last

X-Men Legacy Lost Legions

X-Men Schism

Fear Itself – Uncanny X-Men

X-Men Legacy – 5 Miles South of the Universe

X-Men FF

Uncanny X-Force Volumes 4-7 Rick Remender

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zachlee0112: Oh wow, I just read the first volume of Grant's New X-Men and loved it so i may refer to this list as to how to continue. Amazing work, saved me a lot of time.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@zachlee0112:

it doesn't look like you're missing too much here, but having read almost all of these, I don't know that I'd call all of this "Essential Reading". If you really want to read it all, then by all means, but for the time-frame you're talking about (2001-2012) I think the only really essential stuff is:

-Grant Morrison's New X-Men (2001-2004), issues 114-156.

-Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men (2004-2008), issues 1-24 +Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 - Gone (or the first 4 trades, Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstoppable).

-House of M (2005), just the 8-issue mini itself tells the story..

-Brubaker's Divided arc from The Uncanny X-Men (2008), issues 495-500..

-Remender's Uncanny X-force (2010-2013), 37 issues.

-X-Men: Schism (2011), 5 issues.

-Avengers Vs. X-Men (2012), 13 issues. And/or the Avengers Vs X-Men: Consequences 5-issue mini.

Honestly, after Whedon and Brubaker, none of the regular X-men series were all that great during the Utopia era, with only Remender's UXF standing out. You can really get the most essential parts of that period by reading just the event books and avoiding the tie-ins and filler stories that filled the main series.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Koays  Online

@zachlee0112:

it doesn't look like you're missing too much here, but having read almost all of these, I don't know that I'd call all of this "Essential Reading". If you really want to read it all, then by all means, but for the time-frame you're talking about (2001-2012) I think the only really essential stuff is:

-Grant Morrison's New X-Men (2001-2004), issues 114-156.

-Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men (2004-2008), issues 1-24 +Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 - Gone (or the first 4 trades, Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, and Unstoppable).

-House of M (2005), just the 8-issue mini itself tells the story..

-Brubaker's Divided arc from The Uncanny X-Men (2008), issues 495-500..

-Remender's Uncanny X-force (2010-2013), 37 issues.

-X-Men: Schism (2011), 5 issues.

-Avengers Vs. X-Men (2012), 13 issues. And/or the Avengers Vs X-Men: Consequences 5-issue mini.

Honestly, after Whedon and Brubaker, none of the regular X-men series were all that great during the Utopia era, with only Remender's UXF standing out. You can really get the most essential parts of that period by reading just the event books and avoiding the tie-ins and filler stories that filled the main series.

Eh, maybe New Mutants 2009? Solid story plus i'd kind of call it essential.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

New Mutants was definitely one of the best ongoing X-books of the time. I'd certainly consider it essential for fans of those characters (the New Mutants, that is) but not really essential to what was going on in the X-men books in general.

I didn't include David'sX-Factor (2006) for basically the same reason. They're both solid ongoings from their eras, but they both stand on their own just as well regardless of what was going on with the actual X-men.

I can see how it may seem like I gave special consideration to Uncanny X-force, but considering that team was made up of high-ranking members of the actual X-men, it does seem more especially central to what was going on with the main team at the time (even compared to the main books themselves).

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Koays  Online

@koays said:

New Mutants was definitely one of the best ongoing X-books of the time. I'd certainly consider it essential for fans of those characters (the New Mutants, that is) but not really essential to what was going on in the X-men books in general.

I didn't include David'sX-Factor (2006) for basically the same reason. They're both solid ongoings from their eras, but they both stand on their own just as well regardless of what was going on with the actual X-men.

I can see how it may seem like I gave special consideration to Uncanny X-force, but considering that team was made up of high-ranking members of the actual X-men, it does seem more especially central to what was going on with the main team at the time (even compared to the main books themselves).

Ok I can get that (X-Forces plots holding more relevance then alot of other things in recent times) ....i kind of overlooked your initial line and was thinking that Magik being as integral as she was toward the tale end of the 2012 point was in part because of that run.

Though now i'm curious about you dropping "Messiah Trilogy" with the exception of AvX, since it's generally tied in with recs even when trying to skim through the Utopia-Era stuff.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Ok I can get that (X-Forces plots holding more relevance then alot of other things in recent times) ....i kind of overlooked your initial line and was thinking that Magik being as integral as she was toward the tale end of the 2012 point was in part because of that run.

Though now i'm curious about you dropping "Messiah Trilogy" with the exception of AvX, since it's generally tied in with recs even when trying to skim through the Utopia-Era stuff.

I just didn't think any of the Utopia era was worth bothering with, after the fact; none of the stories were all that great, "Messiah Trilogy" included.

The only thing that really comes from that arc was Hope's origin, but outside of AvsX she herself isn't really interesting or important. She made Cable seem interesting for a minute, and was "relevant" to a couple of bad crossovers, and who even cares about her now? Just my feelings on it.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Koays  Online
    @koays said:

I just didn't think any of the Utopia era was worth bothering with, after the fact; none of the stories were all that great, "Messiah Trilogy" included.

The only thing that really comes from that arc was Hope's origin, but outside of AvsX she herself isn't really interesting or important. She made Cable seem interesting for a minute, and was "relevant" to a couple of bad crossovers, and who even cares about her now? Just my feelings on it.

Well I can sorta see where your coming from, though I'd argue that it's at least noteworthy to include the trilogy and her for now...

It could easily be what the Outback Era became (hardly referenced and overlookable outside of it's book ends) after Claremont left, but I'd say it's at least still partially relevant (for now) to where the characters are now and how they got from M-Day to the current mindset. Though I guess the inclusion of Schism could do that in a quarter of the issues.

Idk, your right about Hope but I feel like we're not to far removed from Utopia/Decimation for some of this info to become very relevant again.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: ha! well, comparing it to the Outback era hardly makes it any more relevant to me :p

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Koays  Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.