X-men early speculation?

#1 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty pumped about the upcoming (adjectiveless) X-men. I really don't feel like this cast is missing anything, and I hope that they actually keep this as the cast for a while. That said, if there were to be any additions to the cast, who do you feel would play the best to these characters?

My first thought, I guess because of the heavy 80's vibe, was Sunspot and Cannonball.

but, for some reason I'm thinking maybe Gateway, or Pixie, is more likely.

but then that made me think of Manifold, who interests me more.

thoughts?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe throw Polaris on there.......She just seems like she would fit.

#3 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Throw in Pixie for sure. Wood really knows how to write that character. He did a great job on her during his run on the curent X-Men series.

#4 Posted by Simpson (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the current X-Men title ending?

The point here seems to be a female team so I doubt Sunspot, Cannonball, Manifold or Gateway join.

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@RawrImADragon said:

Throw in Pixie for sure. Wood really knows how to write that character. He did a great job on her during his run on the curent X-Men series.

I agree his Pixie is the only version I ever liked. She was so awkward and endearing ^_^

also looks like Jubes has her powers back

#6 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Simpson: yeah, well, that seems to be the hook, but I doubt it will remain that way. Even if it does, I wouldn't rule out some satellite or support members not being women. It seems like a dumb thing for the X-men to be exclusive about.

#7 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

So where's my all-men X-Men team?!?!?! Or is such an idea too sexist in this very fair and just world?

#8 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@RawrImADragon said:

I agree his Pixie is the only version I ever liked. She was so awkward and endearing ^_^

Omg if Jubilee gets her powers back I will love Brian Wood. I don't mind her so much as a vampire but her mutant powers were so awesome! I would love to see her make some fireworks again. And yeah I'm actually quite surprised Pixie isn't in the main lineup already but I bet she's almost guaranteed to show up in the book sooner rather than later.

#9 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@RawrImADragon: We will have to see on both. So far the book looks flawless.

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

Sunspot and Cannonball are Avengers now if that makes any difference.

#11 Posted by BoomBoom (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Boom Boom, definetely,

#12 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Rachel's costume didn't look so cluttered.

#13 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Sunspot and Cannonball are Avengers now if that makes any difference.

So are Wolverine, Rogue and the Beast, so I'm thinking it doesn't.

#14 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Fair enough. I don't know them very well, but I'm guessing you do so I thought I'd mention it in case they were different for some reason.

#15 Posted by darthphoenix (652 posts) - - Show Bio

POLARIS and MAGIK

#16 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I mostly mentioned them because they seemed to fit the young X-men characters from the 80's as adults that this line up invokes (somewhere in age between Kitty and Rogue, say). Other than Magik, they were the New Mutants we saw most with the X-men in the 80's, so they just seemed to fit in that way.

And I doubt very much that they will be used much in Avengers, beyond nostalgic cannon fodder. Though, I wouldn't mind being wrong about that second point.

#17 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984:Well if they have a line-up change at some point, maybe you'll see them on the team. :)

#18 Edited by time (4845 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23.

Sage.

Boom Boom

Frenzy, to make appearance.

Jean to replace Rachel when she grows up.

@Madame_Mist said:

I wish Rachel's costume didn't look so cluttered.

I like her new look, love Rogue boots.

@RawrImADragon said:

@Blood1991 said:

@RawrImADragon said:

Omg if Jubilee gets her powers back I will love Brian Wood. I don't mind her so much as a vampire but her mutant powers were so awesome! I would love to see her make some fireworks again. And yeah I'm actually quite surprised Pixie isn't in the main lineup already but I bet she's almost guaranteed to show up in the book sooner rather than later.

Is Dodson working on this title, I hope not. I hate him.

#19 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixie and Bling!

Absolutely perfect.

#20 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I wouldn't mind it, mind you, I'm not a huge fan of either of them, really. Not the way I am with the rest of this cast, at any rate. They just seem like a good fit somehow.

What about you? anyone you'd like to see with this group, on the team or as an associate?

#21 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984:Not sure. I don't think I know enough about X-Men to comment properly. I like Emma Frost from what I've read, but I don't know what she's like currently.

Most of my X-Men knowledge is from cartoons and the films. I've only been reading comics for about a year, and haven't got around to reading much X-Men. I might get this series if I can afford to add it to my list.

#22 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: ah, shame, that.

well, if I was going to recommend one X-men book coming out this year, based on the creative team, cast, and concept, it would be this one. I've been enjoying All New X-men also, but it seems to be a very polarizing book.

#23 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984:Thanks, I'll keep that in my mind if money looks to be available. :)

#24 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe no one mentioned Dazzler.

Dazzler, people!

LOL --- like this. Those shoes are to die for.

I do hope they bring in Cannonball and Sunspot and other characters. Gender specific is annoying. I appreciate the focus but not exclusivity in terms of future story-telling.

#25 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: All due respect, but the addition of Cannonball and Sunspot of all people just seems a bit stupid.

#26 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I was a bit surprised by that too, actually, though I don't really think she would add much. Just always found her far too generic. bland.

@lykopis said:

I can't believe no one mentioned Dazzler.

I do hope they bring in Cannonball and Sunspot and other characters. Gender specific is annoying. I appreciate the focus but not exclusivity in terms of future story-telling.

and, yeah, being gender specific is dumb, especially for the X-men.

@AgeofHurricane: haha, I'll admit, it does seem a bit random. They just sort of popped into my head out of the 80's association..

but, that said, who would you like to see?

#27 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: That's completely understandable, tho.

Like i stated above, Pixie and Bling!, mainly because they both exude feminism (even if that isn't what this title is necessarily all about). Also, both have been handled by BW somehow some way, given good characterization/development. Not to mention, this team could do with some fresh-blood, sooner or later, they'd be perfect.

Other additions would be: Dr Hunter from BW's initial X-Men run, i always wondered what happened to her after the Human Being arc, she kinda just disappeared off the radar...then i'd like to have Polaris, M, Amara and Armor.

Ideal.

#28 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the party is already big enough.unless they take some of the cahracters away in the future I hope they don't get new ones.

#29 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane:

I like Cannonball and Sunspot. They aren't around and I like seeing characters under the radar come forward, and I mean random ones. Those two are pretty random. It's not so much keeping them around, just involved in some way in some story arc in the future.

Now --- M? I would absolutely love to have M. Good choice.

#30 Edited by Gio86 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I will go for 80's Dazzler maybe even Magik, Mystique, Blink, Polaris, Emma or even Jean Grey as impossible as that sounds!!! Or bring someone back from the past like Shard.

#31 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: oh, yeah, I totally did see those suggestions, agreed with them, and then forgot. haha!

and I'm a big fan of both M and Armor too, so, nice.

@UltraBiel: yeah, with the crew they have, I wouldn't mind if they kept it this way either.

@lykopis: also, if they are going to add some male characters, it'd be nice to see some closer to the age range of this group, and those two would be right in the middle. It does sort of bug me that the male X-men are almost always older than the female ones.

#32 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984:

Yes, exactly! They could bring in Hellion and the rest of them. Jono would be fantastic as well.

#33 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind seeing Colossus and Cyclops around here, considering Wood knows how to write them both, especially Colossus.

#34 Posted by Gio86 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

If they bring a man into this it should be Gambit or Iceman!

#35 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: wouldn't mind seeing Chamber at all!

though, power wise, can't really see what he (or Hellion) could really bring to this team.

@AgeofHurricane: Agree on Colossus, but I don't think I'd want him in right away or too soon.

#36 Edited by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

why not Blink? she has the teleportation jus like Pixie, but shes also got the offense in those darts (say what you will about her hallucinogenic dust, but i think Pixie was beeter with the soul dagger). plus her personality isnt similar to many of the chicks already on the team.

and i might be the only person on this site to want her to show up again but if they put Lifeguard on the team id go nuts, ive got a soft spot for the shi'ar, even if shes only a half breed

Polaris is another good addition to the team, but i doubt they'll bring her into this book at all

btw i really dont like Rogue's new costume. i really liked her last one, it was new yet still had the 'Rogue' vibe to it, and when they added the leather jacket i went nuts. same with Rachel's new duds, dont care for it, i liked the dark blue she rocked in space.

#37 Posted by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

@time: Agreed about Frenzy, she's way too cool to ignore.

I think Blink, Husk and Dust need some page time too, they could finally address Blink's psychological state after Seline's manipulation, Husk's molting skin....let's get to the root of that for heaven's sake! and wasn't Dust on the verge of turning into a glass statue before Ink used his fake Phoenix powers to cure her? Loop-holes, people, they get left open way too often, then writers leave the book and nobody gives a Squirrel Girl's tail about it.

Boom Boom is too similar to Jubilee for my taste (bubble-gum poppin' 90s mall-rat type) I appreciate her cult following though, you guys n' gals are few and proud and I respect that :) Lila Cheney though, if there's no Blink, she could be fun to jaunt the X-Ladies across the cosmos.

I know Pixie has a huge fan base but I'm just not into her, I think she got overexposed way too fast, put her on the back-burner and let some other characters shine for a bit.

Siryn/Banshee is off playing Celtic Death Goddess :-(, Dazzler is hopping realities in the yawntastic X-Treme X-Men, M, Polaris and Layla are prolly consumed by X-Factor duties, where's Wolfsbane these days? Karma's with Astonishing X-Men but I haven't really flipped through that one all that much....does she get much action? How about Magma? She's beautiful, powerful, Mephisto is like totally into her O.o

#38 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thunderscream: Wolfsbane effectively retired to raise her kid, over in X-factor.

But a vampire and a werewolf on the X-men? can't decide if I love it or hate it..

#39 Posted by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@Thunderscream: Wolfsbane effectively retired to raise her kid, over in X-factor.

But a vampire and a werewolf on the X-men? can't decide if I love it or hate it..

and Kitty is essentially a ghost ;) It's like that show, Being Human

#40 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it might be good, certainly has the potential. It'll be nice to see Marvel try and make me care more about some of these characters I haven't seen much of. They've done a pretty good job about it so far. 

#41 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thunderscream: ha! okay, you've convinced me.

'sides, it seems like at least one of the old New Mutants should be on this team..

#42 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
Magma Fashion Shoot By Kevin Wada

@dangallant984 said:

@Thunderscream: ha! okay, you've convinced me.

'sides, it seems like at least one of the old New Mutants should be on this team..

#43 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: Magma? She's the only one of the classic New Mutants I never understood the appeal of.. but, that in and of itself, does sort of make me curious to see her used a little more..

Why do you like her?

#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32675 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Maybe throw Polaris on there.......She just seems like she would fit.

yea I quite like that

#45 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@John Valentine: Magma? She's the only one of the classic New Mutants I never understood the appeal of.. but, that in and of itself, does sort of make me curious to see her used a little more..

Why do you like her?

She's hot and she's the only one of the New Mutant females not being used anywhere else.

#46 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: ha! with Coipel drawing it, they're all gonna be hot.

does she have anything else going for her, or just that she isn't used much?

#47 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that after this book gets established and is successful, that the team is shuffled around and we see some new x-women join the team. I feel the book can afford to lose Psylocke, Rogue and Shadowcat since they have more of a role in their other books. I want Dazzler and Sage to join now that we know X-treme X-men is ending and hopefully returned them to 616-Earth. I also feel Magma, Dust, Pixie, and Frenzy would be great additions too.

#48 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want randoms just for the sake of inclusion, lest they rot in Limbo for the time being. Randoms will just ruin the chemistry that these girls already have with one another.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.