Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men Creators, Good/Bad/Verdict

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Koays

Take a X-Men writer (current or former) and give them a review that includes The Good, The Bad and your overall feeling on the way they write X-Men

I'll start

Chris Claremont-

The Good-

The best parts about are hard to narrow down to a single story arc, but the way I see it his ability to not only handle but also grow a full cast of new characters shows the real depth of his ability. Just comparing a character like Storm, in her initial appearance to where she was by the late 80's and you'll see more change in the character then some characters who have solo books got in the same stretch of time. And that he was doing that with a cast that averaged 7 X-Men and no one was left out is something that seems impossible for most team books now.

The Bad-

The worst thing I can say about Claremont is that as main writer he sometimes goes crazy with his control. While ideas like the Outback team, and the Reavers are now part of the X-Men history it seems like he just wanted to write something completely different no matter how unnatural a shift it was at the time. The same can be said about his ideas like Cyclops retiring, which at the time may have been necessary but in the long run he wrote the entire original X-Men team out just so he could do something different. It seems a bit like he wasn't preparing for a long term future for the franchise so much as long term storylines.

The Verdict-

Claremont is the cement layer for the X-Men. And if he hadn't been taken off of the X-Men the first time i believe it would've began to get really bad sooner then later. It took someone else coming in and resetting the table but once that was done he showed he can still tell some of the most involved character stories in the X-Men.

Grade - 8.5/10

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Why do we need to do two?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Koays

@squares said:

Why do we need to do two?

Ooops i thought i changed that when i got lazy half way in...do as many as you want :)

MacDio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MacDio

Ed Brubaker

The Good

Brubaker succeeded in making the X-Men feel like the X-Men again. In my opinion, he was the first one to do that. He had great story-arcs in his early run, with the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire being the highlight of his run. He also did a lot for Warpath. Making him a X-Man helped him out a lot, because before that, he was just known as "some guy from X-Force". I also liked how his run tied up lose plot lines that were left over from Grant Morrison's New X-Men, and the invention of Vulcan seemed interesting to me.

The Bad

Brubaker had a lot of good ideas, but he didn't seem to write characters very well. There was very little memorable character interactions during his run. The worst thing he did, was his treatment of Professor X. While I did like the stories that the retcons lead to, turning Xavier from a sweet old man to a creepy liar made no sense. If Deadly Genesis really happened, then it makes no sense for Moria MacTaggert to call Professor X when she discovers Wolfsbane in the beginning of New Mutants. She wouldn't of handed Xavier teenagers if he just got a group of teenagers killed.

The Verdict

In a way, Ed Brubaker saved the X-Men. They went from a bunch of individual runs that didn't conect, to actually connecting to each other and feeling like a franchise again. He was in charge of taking the X-Men back to the way they were during their franchise days from the 90's, and he did well. While in some ways the bad outweighed the good, he still told some good stories.

Grade - 7/10

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.