X-Men Anime on G4

#1 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio
X-Men Anime

Did anyone catch the first episode of the new X-Men anime on G4 earlier tonight? What'd you make of it?

Personally, I thought this episode lacked a plot, but it did try to set up a storyline going forward. I'll be tuning in next week, so hopefully this show turns out to be better than the Wolverine Anime.

#2 Posted by jhazzroucher (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe this is better than the Wolverine anime.

#3 Posted by VanAce (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to assume that G4 is a cable channel in the US. Sorry for my ignorance I am from Australia. I will probably have to wait until it come out on dvd.

#4 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the anime series. I actually consider it to be one of the best X-Men adaptations ever made. The plot was intriguing, the animation was fantastic, the score was beautiful, and I really liked the characterizions, even though many of them were somewhat different to the comics.

#5 Posted by Ouija (362 posts) - - Show Bio

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!

#6 Posted by tensor (4327 posts) - - Show Bio

its the best one out of iron-man an wolverine

#7 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna have to catch a rerun to check it out.

#8 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio
@IncredibleSplosions said:

@_slim_ said:

I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can understand some of it. Is it like traditional anime???

I don't know. I didn't get a chance to see the episode.
#9 Posted by VesKaGan (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched the Japanese version with subtitles... this is sooo much better :-D

#10 Posted by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't know it came on last night, but it's coming on again Sunday night so I'll catch it then. But I've been enjoying Wolverine so I'm looking forward to this! ^_^

#11 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@VanAce said:

I am going to assume that G4 is a cable channel in the US. Sorry for my ignorance I am from Australia. I will probably have to wait until it come out on dvd.

Yep, G4 is a cable channel in the U.S. I think at some point they were on the air in Australia, but I can't confirm that. All four of the Marvel animes (X-Men, Wolverine, IronMan, and Blade) are all out on DVD in Japan currently, and the subtitled versions are available for purchase (or bittorrent download).

@_slim_ said:

@_slim_ said:

I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can understand some of it. Is it like traditional anime???

I don't know. I didn't get a chance to see the episode.

Definitely check it out on Sunday night when they re-air the episode. In my opinion, the animation style of X-Men has been AMAZING and is so far the best part of the show. You get a very modern and stylized anime feel, but with all of the familiar faces of the Astonishing X-Men.

Again, the first episode seemed to set up the plot for future episodes, but other than that, there wasn't much to it. The show definitely has potential and I'm looking forward to next week.

#12 Posted by ARMIV2 (8521 posts) - - Show Bio

I missed it...*sigh*...

#13 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men G4 anime quote of the evening=

Cyclops angrily screaming " What the hell are you doing in Jean?!! "

#14 Posted by SuperEvilDOOM (25 posts) - - Show Bio

It was actually surprisingly decent. I would give it a 7/10 which is much more than I can say for the other Marvel anime G4 aired in the year. Iron Man with a monotone, expressionless Tony Stark wasn't anything special and the Wolverine anime with jet packing water ninjas was utterly horrible. Not a fan of Storm's voice in the show and Cyclops had some cringe worthy delivery at times, but overall nothing felt like a disaster. I like that they kept the voices of Wolverine, Beast, and Jean from Wolverine and the X-Men. As an X-Men show it isn't really bringing anything new to the table but at least it hasn't started off like the abomination that was the Wolverine anime.

#15 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

So the second episode came out on Friday (replays tonight and tomorrow night for those that missed it). It was, well... interesting to say the least. In a strange way, I find the character interaction to be both out of place and dead on. I think part of the issue is that you get all the tension between members like Wolverine and Cyclops that you come to expect, but it is overblown in true anime style. If you're not used to the anime aspect or don't care for that style of story, it may be hard to jump on here.

However, this was another gorgeous and visually appealing episode. The vibrant mix of colors in every frame coupled with the fast pace of the action sequences makes for a stunning product that we haven't seen before in a Marvel animated series.

As for the plot... I guess it's getting there. So far it's pretty simplistic. Young mutants are being captured. The X-Men investigate and get attacked by robots. They find the enemy base and fight to save the day. You do get a cliffhanger at the end (which I won't spoil here), but I feel like so far the episodes are very linear. Episode 1 got us to episode 2. Episode 2 is setting up episode 3. Sure, we're only on the 2nd show, and it's enough to keep me watching, but if that's how the whole series is going to be, I'm going to feel a little cheated.

Overall, I think it's worth checking out, especially if you're a big anime and X-Men fan.

#17 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

cyclops looks like light yamagi

#18 Posted by crackerjack82 (2606 posts) - - Show Bio

I never enjoyed anime...probably because I can't understand it. But what really doesn't make sense to me is the fact that my favorite games are the Marvel vs Capcom series and it's got anime characters....go figure. Just the little differences between western created cartoons like "Looney Toons" and eastern created anime such as "Dragon Ball." Someone should write a manual for watching anime. Then I might get into it. It's not like I have anything against Asians or anything. I like them. I think they're incredibly smart and have contributed vastly to western society. I had a good friend in junior high who was Asian. He was cool. I never saw him after the 8th grade. I should look him up on facebook.

EDIT: The art for that show on G4 looks extremely cool. I just wish I understood it so I could enjoy it.

What did you understand, the english dubbing, or the subtitles, And at one point American Cartoons had a gorgeousness that was unparalleled, watch some of the old Disney artworks

Hell compare the art of Black cauldron from 1985 to most 80s anime

#19 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen it yet. On G4 is it dubbed? Cause I really don't like subtitles.

#20 Posted by crackerjack82 (2606 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Yes it is Dubbed Thank god Marvel oversaw the Dubbing, it is damn good I HATE dubbs

#21 Posted by 1badwolf (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Leagues ahead of Wolverine or Iron Man. I like it a lot. I was pretty depressed at Marvel Anime showings up until X-Men. They've gota great production house, and the stories are by Warren Ellis. They all should have been home runs. X-Men is very good so far. Last Friday was pretty creepy, reminded me of Ult. Secret (I think that's the right one).

#22 Posted by KDarkholme (337 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a very good spin on X Men to me.

#23 Posted by 0xymoron (173 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: Anything is better than that horrible Wolverine series.

I actually watched the entire series subbed, and it really is a good X-Men series. I don't particularly care for Armor, and Cyclops seemed even more annoying than usual in this series. I think animated wise this is the best we've seen of the X-Men. Japan just makes everything better (except for Wolverine, which just crashed and burned to the ground). ^_^

#24 Posted by irascendedlolkitten (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey peoples if you guys should so watch the anime in Japanesse with subs (you can find it on the net.) Wolvie sounds badass, it was so funny when he tried to go through airport security.

#25 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

This latest episode was by far the best out of the three. Great action, and again, stunning animation.

I only have a couple minor complaints about this one. The dialog is... well... odd. I feel like every character is holding my hand to walk me through the storyline with their words. Beast is the master of the obvious, and Wolverine flips too easily from smart ass to "let's get serious". I feel like Cyclops' whole purpose is to sulk and complain.

Besides that, the cliffhanger at the end also seemed a little forced.

Overall, great episode. The plot is slowly unfolding, though I'm not sure which direction it will be headed. I'll be waiting anxiously for next week.

And for those that missed it, G4 usually plays reruns throughout the weekend at night.

#26 Posted by VesKaGan (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterlogan2000 said:

I feel like Cyclops' whole purpose is to sulk and complain.

I already watched the whole series with subs. He will get better eventually.

#27 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by shrmntnk62 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

I love X-Men and hate anime. I must admit I am intrigued by the combo. Is this worth my time?

#29 Posted by Thelonious_Funk (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched the Wolverine anime and absolutely hated it, everything about it made me want to vomit from my eyes so when I saw the X-Men anime was on I avoided it like the plague, eventually I caught some random episode and I actually liked it. I haven't watched it again since then but I actually should sit down with the series at some point. I don't like Iron Man so I didn't even bother watching that series, from these comments the consensus seems to be that it's shit so cool, I guess.

#30 Posted by butterflykyss (3916 posts) - - Show Bio

the show overall all was good, but I didn't like storm's depiction on the cartoon.  other than that I thought it was pretty good and edgy.  

#31 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't care for last week's episode. However, for those of you that have yet to see any of the shows, so far it's definitely worth checking out.

Here's a link to the next episode airing on Friday evening. http://marvel.com/videos/watch/2140/x-men_anime_episode_5_-_clip_1

I'd embed the video like I did for Episode 4, but Marvel started inserting annoying advertisements.

#32 Posted by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio
@protect_yourself said:
I have never seen the anime version of x-men. is it as good as the usuals?
Its actually really good, it slows down a bit here and there...but overall its pretty good
#33 Posted by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio
@protect_yourself said:
@cattlebattle: yeah i figured its not as good as the original. hell nothing is as good as the original. lol i'll look into sometime.
I feel the original is a bit.....dated, I mean it has been the most "mature" X-Men cartoon (not counting the anime) to have come out, and due to the fact I grew up with it...the most memorable,but....IDK, in my opinion, there still hasn't been a definitive X-Men series yet....
#34 Posted by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio
@protect_yourself said:
@cattlebattle: i feel the same way,I grew up with movies my life,but i didnt get into comics until recently. no sometimes the second of a sequals can be better than the first. usually when its 3,4,5 on up they start to suck.
I actually love the movies despite other peoples nonsensical complaints, the first 2 were some of the best comic movies made I believe
#35 Posted by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio
@protect_yourself said:
@cattlebattle: I hear ya. there was a thread on here last night called storm running x-men or if she should dont know the same off head,but i put wolverine or magneto should run it. and peeps jumped on me about it and i told em i was only kidding. i really dont see a woman runnign it though.
ah, well, if your new to the X-Men comics,  Storm being second in command, and being the full fledged leader actually is a well detailed factor in the comics...so her being in charge a lot in the first 2 films...then being essentially promoted in the 3rd wasn't that much of a stretch
#36 Posted by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio
@protect_yourself said:
@cattlebattle: yeah i was asking someone the other night if storm could be killed and they told me she could,but she keeps coming back because she is dark phoenix. which is true,movie version i dont know if shes more powerful than the comic version. mainly when a movie and comic are made of characters the comic versions always the most powerful one.

Sh was an avatar for a cosmic entity in the comics...so she was more powerful, I thought they did a nice job of adapting the Phoenix into the films, having some sort of crazy space adventure is fine for cartoons and comics, but the films were suppose to be more realistic, it wouldn't have fit. The whole movie overall was sort of a mess but I thought that was handled well
#37 Posted by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio
@protect_yourself said:
@cattlebattle: so who is more powerful the comic version of storm or movie version?
Pretty much all the comic versions of pretty much any comic based character in a movie is way more powerful....mainly because the films tend to be more practical, this goes for Storm and all the X-Men
#38 Edited by Roddy010 (5247 posts) - - Show Bio

@protect_yourself said:

@cattlebattle: yeah i was asking someone the other night if storm could be killed and they told me she could,but she keeps coming back because she is dark phoenix. which is true,movie version i dont know if shes more powerful than the comic version. mainly when a movie and comic are made of characters the comic versions always the most powerful one.

Ummm I think you're mistaking for Phoenix...

Also Comicbook Storm is leap and bounds more powerful than her movie counterpart....

#39 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

The Anime is ok. I actually think the wolverine one is better so far and I know I won't watch the Iron Man one. Yeah as I've said in another topic the characters are lacking. Storm being super weak, Cyclops being an"emo boy", Wolverine being an ass to his fellow members, and Beast just looking like a cat. Emma Frost is ok... The one from Wolverine and the X-men was way better and closer to the persona this one isn't as powerful or witty.Armor meh she's ok. I like all of the x-men cartoons better than this anime. Cyclops was a good leader in the animated series, same in the evolution series +character development , and he was more of a bad ass than Logan in the Wolverine one granted this was before and after Jean temporarily died - the fact he wasn't a leader, but it was still a decent alternate story, a lot of mutants got some face time and it brought in elements that the animated series had that Evolution lacked in. Any who back to the point, the anime so far is looking mediocre at best storywise if you hate anime, but love the X-men, do not watch it, because the Japs (no racial) are screwing up the characters you might love currently if it gets better I will rave about it. For it to get better, Wolverine needs to become more likeable, Cyclops needs some balls, Beast needs something interesting to happen to his character, Storm needs more power, and Emma needs more of her wits and talents showcased. I have no problems with the villians, Professor, or Armor.

#40 Posted by VesKaGan (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Scott was way more "emo boy" in Wolverine and the X-Men than in the Anime. There have only been 4 episodes so far. In my opinion Armor and Cyclops are the only characters in this anime who get some development, just watch all 12 episodes ;)

As for Scott being bas ass in WatXM... not really. He was rather the "insane and desperate boyfriend". Episode 12, where he went after the Marauders and Sinister because of some weird assumption they might know where Jean ist was so horribly out of character... I can't even find words for it. I really hated this episode.

#41 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

medicore show at the very least. Storm is too weak and she doesn't feel like a powerful character. I didn't like emma very much, she doesn't feel spiteful like her 616 counter-part.

#43 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

They had a wolveirne anime also. I did not here much about the X-men or the Wolverine series. I wonder if they were good.

#45 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

They had a wolveirne anime also. I did not here much about the X-men or the Wolverine series. I wonder if they were good.

Well, that's part of why I started this thread. I've seen that not a lot of people have heard about these Marvel Anime series (Wolverine, X-Men, Iron Man, and Blade), so this is a good place to spread the word.

The Wolverine anime was pretty atrocious. So far, the X-Men series has been decent. If you like anime OR you like the X-Men, it's definitely worth a watch.

These were already released in Japan, and the subtitled versions are available on blu-ray and dvd. The English dubbed versions should be out soon as well. New episodes are released on Fridays on the cable tv network G4.

#46 Posted by masterlogan2000 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Episode 8 is on tomorrow night. I have no idea what is going on in the clip above, but it sure does look action-packed!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.