X-Men Animation

#1 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Now, the first thing I'd like to say is I'm a fan of 90's X-men cartoon. Heck, I'm an even bigger fan of the 90's x-men comics. However, personally I feel like Wolverine and the X-Men was the best television interpretation of the X-Men so far. It's the latest adaptation and just struck a very deep cord with me. I cared very little for xmen evolution. Anyway the Wolv and the X must have been cancelled due to poor rating and I think that's sad but what can you do. There have been lots of good shows that didn't make ratings quotas that have been cancelled. So, I'm curious to see what everyone else's favorite tv incarnation of the x-men is and why.

#2 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

There is an anime Xmen cartoon on G4, pretty fresh..best art of any Xmen cartoon. But I liked Wolvie and the Xmen quite a bit too.

#3 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked both the 90s cartoon and Wolverine and the X-Men. Not sure which I like better as it's been so long since I've seen the one from the 90s (though I recently started rewatching it on Netflix Instant and three episodes in it's about as good as I remember it being). Evolution just wasn't my cup of tea and I haven't seen any of the anime one yet.

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS wins on the nostalgia factor for me, but it's approaching 20 years old.

Wolverine and The X-Men could be technically better, plus it contains more of my favourite characters.

#5 Edited by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

It is X-Men TAS for me all the way. Characters act the way we know and love. Voices were spot on. The stories followed very close to the comics and love the characters absolutely love this show. Just got back in recently with my bro and introduced my wife and just amazing this show the emotions it brings out of me. I cant say enough praise. Never seen guys like Proteus, Purple man, Silver Samurai, the Morlocks, Longshot on other X-men shows and other guest appearances were epic.

Just actually started Wolverine and the Xmen. I am not fond of the way Logan steals all the glory. I just got up to the episode that first had Nightcrawler and that was easily the best episode so far.

#6 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men TAS was the best.

Evolution is my fav and was the one I grew up with.

I don't like Wolverine and the X-Men. I can barely stand to sit through an ep.

#7 Posted by Renchamp (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Wolverine and the X-Men. Different take, for sure, but I think the story is crafted very well. Some episodes seem like stand alones but then get pulled back in later in the series. You know, like a comic book series.

#8 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Wolverine and the X-Men had a lot of good in it, but overall it's one of the weakest animated adaptations of X-Men, as far as I'm concerned.

I think it wasted its potential by trying to be way too many things at the same time. It was trying to squeeze practically every famous X-Men story arc and every major villain in one season, but it failed to give any of these epic stories enough time and attention to make them as interesting as they could be. There was Magneto, and Sinister, and the Hellfire Club, Mystique, Hydra, and Sentinels, and Kelly, and Mojo, to name a few, which is why the season was just too busy and overcrowded to develope any of these villains or the story arcs they were tied to enough to keep the show interesting. I also felt like the show was relying too heavily on the appeal of classic X-Men story arcs - most of which have already been adapated into animated form - without trying to bee particularly inventive with its retelling of these stories. I think the show should have just picked a set of antagonists and story arcs and focused on doing something interesting with them, instead of just trying to break some record of having the largest number of characters crammed in one season.

The cast of characters was rather problematic, because there were dozens and dozens of X-Men characters in it with only a handful of them getting enough character developement - mostly due to the fact that there was such a strong focus on Wolverine as the main character. Most of the characters only got quick cameos, or simply were given nothing important to do or say despite being part of the main cast. I thought Storm, Kitty, and Bobby were pretty useless and dull in this show, and Rogue - who did have a cool characterizion, in my opinion - never really got a chance to shine because she only appeared in a number of episodes. Really, I'd rather see a Wolverine animated series than a X-Men series with Wolverine hogging all the attention, because I think one of the strengths of the franchise is that it has a large variety of interesting characters instead of a single main protagonist.

I also wasn't a fan of many of the character designs. All the female characters had the same face. Just compare the faces of Kitty, Rogue, and Jean - the hairstyle seems to be the only thing that sets them apart. Also also, I think individual episodes also suffered from pacing problems.

That being said, I don't think that the series was all bad. It had its moments. I really liked Emma Frost in this series - this is probably my favourite animated version of her. She was interesting, and episodes focusing on her always stood out. I also loved Nightcrawler's character design and characterizion in the show. My favourite episodes were the ones focusing on him. His romance with Scarlet Witch was also interesting, probably because it was one of the few original subplots of the series. Overall, the series was entertaining enough, but it saddens me to think how much better it could have been if only it had had a clearer focus on fewer characters and less underdeveloped subplots going on at the same time.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I was/still am a huge X-Men: Evolution fan, and it's always been my favorite.

I didn't like Wolverine and the X-Men because of the way they treated Cyclops.

#10 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

No love for Pryde of the X-Men?

#11 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seen it, been meaning to get to it. Have actually been looking to buy it over the last few weeks. From what I've heard it was pretty strong pilot and X-Men 90s resulted directly from it.

@Gambit1024 said:

Ah, but see that was one of my turn ons. I felt like not only was the series, in a sense, reflecting Grant Morrisons New X-men run ( which was unbelievably awesome) but at the same time juxtaposing the general characterizations for Wolverine and Cyclops. I enjoyed seeing Cyclops as the rogue badass in a trench coat for once.

#12 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Haven't seen it, been meaning to get to it. Have actually been looking to buy it over the last few weeks. From what I've heard it was pretty strong pilot and X-Men 90s resulted directly from it.

@Gambit1024 said:

Ah, but see that was one of my turn ons. I felt like not only was the series, in a sense, reflecting Grant Morrisons New X-men run ( which was unbelievably awesome) but at the same time juxtaposing the general characterizations for Wolverine and Cyclops. I enjoyed seeing Cyclops as the rogue badass in a trench coat for once.

Yeah it's pretty similar in style to the 90s animated series, but if you are really familiar with that version, the Pryde of the X-Men voices will seem really, really wrong. I actually haven't seen it in probably like 10 years, but I remember Wolverine sounding Australian in the Pryde of the X-Men pilot.

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I'm sorry, but any X-Men movie/TV series where the opening ten minutes features an emo, b****y Cyclops who basically contributes nothing to the team, isn't a good watch. For me, anyway.

#14 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Now, the first thing I'd like to say is I'm a fan of 90's X-men cartoon. Heck, I'm an even bigger fan of the 90's x-men comics. However, personally I feel like Wolverine and the X-Men was the best television interpretation of the X-Men so far. It's the latest adaptation and just struck a very deep cord with me. I cared very little for xmen evolution. Anyway the Wolv and the X must have been cancelled due to poor rating and I think that's sad but what can you do. There have been lots of good shows that didn't make ratings quotas that have been cancelled. So, I'm curious to see what everyone else's favorite tv incarnation of the x-men is and why.

I'm pretty sure they cancelled Wolverine and the X-Men due to financial issues. The people putting up the money for the series decided not to continue funding it and hence the cancellation. 90's X-Men hits the nostalgia and seems to hit close to home when it came to translating the source material into an animated series. Down to the cameos from other marvel characters like Spider-Man, Black Panther, Cap, and War Machine. Evolution was alright....I liked the Spyke character and we probably wouldn't have X-23 without it. Wolverine and the X-Men was pretty good, but it seemed as though they were really hoping they would get another season to finish some of the things that happened, such as Sinister acquiring Jean and Cyclops DNA or what was going to happen with Magneto and Genosha.

#15 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand that, but I didn't see him as "emo." I hate that pop culture emo is now associated with any character who's in "emo"tional throws. If you know the character you understand his connection with Jean, and her "apparent" death sets the tone for the series. The man is seriously pissed and disillusioned. If it had been a different character other than cyclops in the same role I think you might have felt different about the entire series, but maybe not. Like I said previously, the role reversal between logan and scott was big part of the series and apparently most people felt like you did because the show got canceled. Risk taking doesn't always work out I suppose.

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: Oh, I understand Cyclops and his connection to Jean. I may not like it, but I understand it. It's just that every single time he's in a media outside of comics (with the exception of X-Men Evolution), they always treat Cyclops the same way: whiny, useless, and unable to lead a team. Logan has proved that he could lead a team. I agree with that. But if they really wanted to impress me with his leadership skills, they should've just made an X-Force cartoon, instead of mistreating a perfectly good character like Cyclops.

#17 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men TAS for me was the best because it was the most true to the story in the comics.
Evolution was ok.
Wolverine and the X-Men was good but the X-Men are suppost to be a team not a star and the other guys something Marvel has forgotten or ignored in the last 10 years.

#18 Posted by thennarynak (25 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men TAS was my gateway into comic books so it will always have a special place in my heart. I liked Evolution as well though I wouldn't say that it didn't have its problems. But I just could not get into Wolverine and the X-Men. It just did not grab my interest despite having one of my favorite X-Men characters, Iceman, in it.

I really hope they are already planning a new X-Men series that maybe could tie-in to the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, as that has been great and I would love to be able to see crossovers between Marvel cartoons like there was back in the 90s.

#19 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to go with "Pryde of the X-Men". Little details were off, but I liked the selection of characters and it was the first X-Men cartoon I ever saw. I spent years trying to figure out how to watch it, having played, wasted tons of quarters and beaten the six player arcade game. And Dazzler was in it! I had ready every issue of "The Dazzler" series by then, because most comic stores were practically giving them away, so I knew of her before I did Gambit or Jubilee.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.