X-Men and X2 costume designer to reunite for DOFP film

#1 Posted by thespidey307 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

A7iiZhPCYAAkO6r.jpg

How do you feel about this? I kind of don't want to see the black leather costumes again.

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

More black leather? Man, that's not cool...

I dug Magneto's costume at the end of First Class. I don't care how ridiculous it looked onscreen, but that's the character's trademark look...

#3 Posted by Gempire (11 posts) - - Show Bio

This is terrible news if they plan on going back to the black leather or something similar. I hope they don't make the same mistake twice.

#4 Posted by poisonfleur (3067 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea-- the Avengers set the bar. I want to see costumes Straight Out of the comics with a bit of a real word touch to them.

#5 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

Yea-- the Avengers set the bar. I want to see costumes Straight Out of the comics with a bit of a real word touch to them.

Basically. Black leather seems slick, but when you go back and actually look at the designs, they were bland and flat. They were extremely badly fitted in X3 and the colored stripes just didn't help. They need to stay as far from those as possible.

Notice the baggy pants and how horribly Ellen Page's costume fits her compared to Anna Paquin's. In fact, even Storms' doesn't look as well-designed as Rogues'. These costumes look way better in the dark than they hold up in well-lit environments.

#6 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I want them to at least resemble the character's costumes at least. I mean Emma does not wear bras, she wears corsets.

#7 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked the colorful but simple "flight suit" look in First Class.

#8 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Urgh bland X-men costumes confirmed

#9 Posted by McKlayn (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I hate to agree, but as much as i loved the First X men movie when it was new the entire Marvel studios movies have really upped what we expect from a Super Hero movie, i want to see the real costumes or at least something damn near close. The First Class out fits were kind of cool, maybe something similar to the leather they war during Grant Morrison's run would be doable?

#10 Posted by Fryhole3001 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly how hard is it to get the costumes right... just pick up a comic... add sight real world element to it and bang!

Morrison has alot to answer for with those bland leather costumes!

#11 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fryhole3001 said:

Honestly how hard is it to get the costumes right... just pick up a comic... add sight real world element to it and bang!

Morrison has alot to answer for with those bland leather costumes!

Morrison's costumes were pretty cool, actually. Silver zippers, puffy jackets, textured turtlenecks and bright yellow are a far cry from bland! It's kind of ironic how prominent the X is on those uniforms compared to Jim Lee's and other artists' costume choices.

The person who designed the bland, all-black leather costumes for the movies wasn't Frank Quitely, the artist who often teams up with Morrison - it was Louise Mingenbach; Louise was the person who designed the movie costume/uniforms: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=69984.

#12 Posted by Fryhole3001 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I take your point but when i see those costumes (new x-men) compared to the good ol' spandex they seem bland - just my opinion... and the words "Silver zippers, puffy jackets, textured turtlenecks" dont exactly scream cool to me lol. Honestly whats wrong with good ol' yellow n blue spandex!

#13 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fryhole3001 said:

I take your point but when i see those costumes (new x-men) compared to the good ol' spandex they seem bland - just my opinion... and the words "Silver zippers, puffy jackets, textured turtlenecks" dont exactly scream cool to me lol. Honestly whats wrong with good ol' yellow n blue spandex!

LOL I think spandex is what is wrong with the old costumes, TBQH. I liked the color scheme, but the truth of the situation is that spandex never looks that good.

There is hope, though. According to a recent Tweet, black leather will not be used in the new movie:http://www.examiner.com/article/don-t-expect-a-leathery-x-men-days-of-future-past-singer

#14 Posted by Fryhole3001 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: haha awesome! atleast we've hopefully see the last of those god awful costumes in the films!

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33897 posts) - - Show Bio

I want this:

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I want this:

This, but minus the hoods. They look like a cult with those.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33897 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024:

#18 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt they will use the black leather again. I think they went with that before because the idea of superheroes in a more realistic film world was very novel back then and they didn't want to push it.

#19 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I want this:

This, but minus the hoods. They look like a cult with those.

I like those and I like the hoods, too. Good call.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.