Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men and accents...

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Do you ever find yourself reading a title and stop and realize that the character you're reading is supposed to have an accent!? When I think of X-Men and accents, I think firstly of Rogue and Colossus. Both of whom have been subjected many times to inconsistencies on the writer's part regarding their accents. Magik also comes to mind, especially when I think of the current Uncanny X-Men series in which she sounds like a regular American teen. Cannonball, Husk, and Icarus also have been subjected to this by writers, they're from Kentucky and yet sometimes I forget that factor... In Uncanny X-Men vol 1 towards the end Dazzler began to develop an English accent despite only being in England for her music career a few times, then joining Excalibur... Pixie is Welsh and has been treated like a California valley girl sometimes. Nightcrawler's "accent" would only be comprised of using German words every now and again. Storm and Gambit have been treated fairly well by an assortment of writers. I sometimes forget that Northstar and Wolverine are from Canada. Lifeguard is from Australia, but then she's been gone for like EVER, but she's still relevant to me. Magma and Sunspot are from Brazil yet there seems to be no trace of an accent most of the times. Karma is from Vietnam but she came to the states when she was around 20-something and has no trace of an accent. Wolfsbane often has too much of an accent. Then there's Emma Frost and Psylocke, who's dialogue has fluctuated too many times to count. My point is, does accents bother you as much as it bothers me!?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I don't read much X-Men, but I get what you mean. I sometimes see Spider-Woman say things that don't seem like they'd sound quite right in an English accent. I can't think of any examples right now, but if I find some, I'll post some quotes.

Sometimes I'm only alerted to someones accent when they say a certain word, or a word is punctuated in a certain way. "Bloody" seems to be a common word used to make you know a character is English. I'm sure I've read characters who were very obviously Irish and Australian.

I wonder how often writers consider accents when they're writing.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read much X-Men, but I get what you mean. I sometimes see Spider-Woman say things that don't seem like they'd sound quite right in an English accent. I can't think of any examples right now, but if I find some, I'll post some quotes.

Sometimes I'm only alerted to someones accent when they say a certain word, or a word is punctuated in a certain way. "Bloody" seems to be a common word used to make you know a character is English. I'm sure I've read characters who were very obviously Irish and Australian.

I wonder how often writers consider accents when they're writing.

See that's what I mean... whenever I read something with Spider-Woman (which isn't often... but I used to read New Avengers back then) I forget that she's English!

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Before I got into any of her solo stuff, I didn't even realise she was English. It took a couple of issues to get used to hearing a different accent in my head.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By papad1992

@papad1992: Before I got into any of her solo stuff, I didn't even realise she was English. It took a couple of issues to get used to hearing a different accent in my head.

I remember hearing her voice in Marvel's Ultimate Alliance game and thinking "She's English!?"

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Emma Frost always kind of bothered me because its like no one is sure if she actually has one. Sometimes she is british...sometimes not. As I recall, she is from Boston, which means she should sound like an idiot :)

Gambit is a stereotypical, hot mess. He should just speak with a cajun accent, I have no idea why he speaks french sometimes. I mean, I am aware of the French connection to the area he is from....but, no one I have ever met from there speaks french.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: I imagine a lot of other people may have thought the same.

There's probably loads of characters that I don't see often that I end up voicing wrong when they pop up. Only with Age Of Ultron have I found myself automatically thinking of Emma Frost as English. She is English right?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Always read Rogue with either her TAS voice (that's really the definitive Rogue) or a typical Southern accent.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Sometimes it bothers me that some of the characters who came from other countries or came from a different part of the United States don't often have accents. I can usually tell that Colossus is Russian whenever he says phrases like "Da" or "Nyet" or "Boize Moi." And with Nightcrawler, I can tell he's German whenever he says phrases like "Ja," however, with Emma Frost, it's often difficult to tell if she's English or not because her accent tends to shift with almost every writer.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use their animated voices and Hugh Jackman for Wolverine.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11  Edited By McKlayn

yea that bugs me, but also (and i havnet read much outside of x men so i could be totally wrong) but after picking up a bunch of the newer titles outside ofthe X franchise it seems that only the X franchise ever uses any accents, Gambit, Rogue, cannonball Nightcrawler ect all have shown off their accents at time, but none of the avenger titles seem to have people use accents, Winter Soldier didn't seem to have much of one (that i recall its been a while since ive read it) Spider man, Fan Four so thats kind of odd

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I just use the animated show voices. I'm not saying he's a better voice over than Patrick Stewart, I suppose it's just the nostalgia that makes it fit better.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

When ever i read a Claremont written book from the past, i could clearly hear a distinct voice with each of the characters. He actually cared about trying to diversify and differentiate all his characters and researched the appropriate words to accentuate each person's vocabulary. He would inject French words, or Russian or Portuguese where ever he could to capture the multicultural feel of the X-men, New Mutants and other teams he wrote..

The animated series also had the biggest influence in capturing the voices of the characters and whenever i want to hear what Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, or Gambit sound like I remember how they sounded in the show. That was Canadian voice acting at it's best. The villains especially sounded great.

The current writers all have the same problem of relying on just the visual to distinguish each character and make them all sound "American". From the things i have read here and there. The only characters that still sometimes sound different in the writing are Rogue with her Southern accent, Gambit with Cajun accent, and Colossus, da.. On the other side, some characters seem to have lost any trace of their accents. Like Magik who should sound as Russian as her brother but as of late speaks like your typical American teen. Psylocke, i feel often sounds less British then Emma when it should be the other way around. Sunspot, if i am not mistake has been written speaking in Spanish when we all know they speak Portuguese in Brazil. Well you would know those difference if you were culturally aware of other cultures that is. And i think that is the real flaw i find in certain writers. They don't respect the diversity of the X-men, or bother researching what someone who doesn't come from the US or the UK would sound like. I wonder even if they ever associate with people from other cultures to hear what other people sound like or care about challenging their readers with characters that aren't so homogeneous and "Americanized".

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma is not English. She affects an accent. Morrison started it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its simple during the Claremont / TAS era (70s - early 90s)

Gambit - Cajun

Nightcrawler - German

Colossus/ Illyana - Russian

Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, Angel (and like, most of the X-Men) - American

Rogue, (Maybe Husk?) - Southern

Sunfire - Japanese.

But I can only assume most characters have an American accent.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't get me started on Gambit's accent.....

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu said:

Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, Angel (and like, most of the X-Men) - American

haha! when I picture "American" accents I picture either King of the Hill or the Ramones. Definitely never pictured any of the X-men talking like that. Which is funny, to me, since I grew up in a border town next to the States, and everyone had basically the same accents on either side of the border. But then, I can't really picture them with that accent either.

Maybe "generic North American television accent" would be more accurate.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu said:

haha! when I picture "American" accents I picture either King of the Hill or the Ramones. Definitely never pictured any of the X-men talking like that. Which is funny, to me, since I grew up in a border town next to the States, and everyone had basically the same accents on either side of the border. But then, I can't really picture them with that accent either.

Maybe "generic North American television accent" would be more accurate.

Well, I'm from Malaysia (if you know where that is), so to me, I only know two American accents, Southern (where 'I' is spelt 'Ah') or Nothern (ie General 'Friends' type of accent). Im sure there are loads of different American accents, such as Brooklyn or whatevs.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu: yeah, that second one was more what I meant by a television accent.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By papad1992

When ever i read a Claremont written book from the past, i could clearly hear a distinct voice with each of the characters. He actually cared about trying to diversify and differentiate all his characters and researched the appropriate words to accentuate each person's vocabulary. He would inject French words, or Russian or Portuguese where ever he could to capture the multicultural feel of the X-men, New Mutants and other teams he wrote..

The animated series also had the biggest influence in capturing the voices of the characters and whenever i want to hear what Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, or Gambit sound like I remember how they sounded in the show. That was Canadian voice acting at it's best. The villains especially sounded great.

The current writers all have the same problem of relying on just the visual to distinguish each character and make them all sound "American". From the things i have read here and there. The only characters that still sometimes sound different in the writing are Rogue with her Southern accent, Gambit with Cajun accent, and Colossus, da.. On the other side, some characters seem to have lost any trace of their accents. Like Magik who should sound as Russian as her brother but as of late speaks like your typical American teen. Psylocke, i feel often sounds less British then Emma when it should be the other way around. Sunspot, if i am not mistake has been written speaking in Spanish when we all know they speak Portuguese in Brazil. Well you would know those difference if you were culturally aware of other cultures that is. And i think that is the real flaw i find in certain writers. They don't respect the diversity of the X-men, or bother researching what someone who doesn't come from the US or the UK would sound like. I wonder even if they ever associate with people from other cultures to hear what other people sound like or care about challenging their readers with characters that aren't so homogeneous and "Americanized".

I feel that if a writer is about to take on a character (or even have background characters that say one-liners) that writer should know that character inside and out! Not just their physical appearance and the last time they appeared in a comic!

CerealKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@v_scarlotte_rose: SPIDER WOMAN IS ENGLISH?!?!

ive only ever read her in new avengers and the secret invasion tie ins, so not much at all, but wow i never knew this ahahaha. I have learnt something today.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: SPIDER WOMAN IS ENGLISH?!?!

ive only ever read her in new avengers and the secret invasion tie ins, so not much at all, but wow i never knew this ahahaha. I have learnt something today.

You are a perfect example of what we're talking about!!

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Emma Frost always kind of bothered me because its like no one is sure if she actually has one. Sometimes she is british...sometimes not. As I recall, she is from Boston, which means she should sound like an idiot :)

She may be from Boston but when she attended University in Boller's Emma Frost's miniseries, she met another telepath, Bloom, who was from England and when they had a psychic battle Emma fried her mind and took all of her thoughts / memories and knowledge. When she did all of that she gained Bloom's British accent.

I find that Morrison definitely emphasized this because before his run I never read Emma as a women with a British accent, however I always do now. And even in Generation X the television series the Emma Frost portrayed in the series had a more "posh" British accent and in WATX you had Emma Frost with that accent & same in X-Men Destiny and I believe we'll hear a more British tone in Marvel Heroes.

As for other characters, I definitely believed that Pixie was a California valley girl rather than a Welsh chick. The only time I got the impression she was from Whales was when her and Dazzler teamed up and they had their "tidy" saying, which is a UK slang word. I always read Rogue and Sam with a southern accent. Not so much Husk though. Magik I don't read with a russian accent because when she was part of the New Mutants, Xavier went into her mind and taught her English so she could fit in easily with the rest of her teammates.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get me started on Gambit's accent.....

Agreed. I love him so much, but the accent is all over the place. And often.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Magik's americanisms can be pretty much put down to the fact she was what, 9 or so when she came over? She's pushing 22 or something now, so like Mila Kunis I can forgive Magik.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

She may be from Boston but when she attended University in Boller's Emma Frost's miniseries, she met another telepath, Bloom, who was from England and when they had a psychic battle Emma fried her mind and took all of her thoughts / memories and knowledge. When she did all of that she gained Bloom's British accent.

I find that Morrison definitely emphasized this because before his run I never read Emma as a women with a British accent, however I always do now. And even in Generation X the television series the Emma Frost portrayed in the series had a more "posh" British accent and in WATX you had Emma Frost with that accent & same in X-Men Destiny and I believe we'll hear a more British tone in Marvel Heroes.

As for other characters, I definitely believed that Pixie was a California valley girl rather than a Welsh chick. The only time I got the impression she was from Whales was when her and Dazzler teamed up and they had their "tidy" saying, which is a UK slang word. I always read Rogue and Sam with a southern accent. Not so much Husk though. Magik I don't read with a russian accent because when she was part of the New Mutants, Xavier went into her mind and taught her English so she could fit in easily with the rest of her teammates.

Well Sam and Paige are brother and sister, as well as Jay (Icarus) but I always find writers are forgetting that Husk is from the South... and when Jay was alive, I NEVER read him with a Southern accent!! And your "tidy" point about Dazzler and Pixie, that's my complaint because I though Dazzler was from California!? She only was in England during her Excalibur run! And no excuse on Magik... she should still have a Russian accent!

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget that northstar and his sister are french canadian.

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

@papad1992: Lol! I remember the only reason Dazzler would you the word "tidy" was because Pixie started using it so when they were on the same team during the Quarantine arc they'd use it together haha. Dazzler's still her California self :P

@crimsonlord53: haha. I'm French Canadian and I don't have an accent! whenever I read either of them I just read em as american/canadian sounding :P

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Lol! I remember the only reason Dazzler would you the word "tidy" was because Pixie started using it so when they were on the same team during the Quarantine arc they'd use it together haha. Dazzler's still her California self :P

Tidy... Anyone English here? What do you use this term for!?

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Haha. My friend Stu from Scotland uses it ALL the time! tidy = sweet, cool, awesome. "Your car is looking tidy today mate"

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Haha. My friend Stu from Scotland uses it ALL the time! tidy = sweet, cool, awesome. "Your car is looking tidy today mate"

Cool... I mean tidy. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.