Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men '92 - Could it have it's own ongoing series?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm sure you've all seen the tease for X-Men '92 as part of next year's Battleworld/Secret Wars event, and it's a pretty safe bet to assume that it'll be nothing more than a mini-series or even just a one-shot.

But my question here is, do you think if it sells well enough it could become an ongoing series? Would you even want it to? Would you buy it?

Personally I would love to see it become an ongoing. The X-Books are so bleak and depressing these days, which is fine, I really love where most of them are going right now, but it would sure be nice to have a comic reliving the "glory days" of the X-Men... Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Beast, Gambit, Rogue and Jubilee on a team together again would make me so happy.

And I don't see why it wouldn't work, it could very easily happen as a continuation of the Animated Series outside of the 616 universe. Similar to what DC is currently doing with their Batman '66 comic.*

So personally I'd love to see it happen and I think if it did it would definitely work and I imagine it would sell pretty well.

*For those who don't know, DC is currently running a comic called Batman '66 which is a continuation of the Adam West Batman show from 1966 - it's obviously non-canon and is apparently selling quite well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If it did get an ongoing, it would be the first X-book I'd follow since Uncanny X-Force vol. 1 ended.

Draksis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why not. I concur. A ongoing thing is what we really need. I mean, c'mon, It's TAS that we're talking about. I really love to see this as a ongoing. We've been in a sad state lately with some current comics, but this one is like a sunshine for our heart. I think it should be a ongoing with all the TAS events. I want to see more Imperial Guards, Morlacks, Acolytes, Nasty Boyz, Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, Omega Red, but most of all Jean Grey.

I really hope for this to be as long as TAS was. Including everything on panels. I think that would be AWESOME! :D

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In hindsight, the 90s cartoon wasn't that great. It was a severely watered down, vacuous version of the comics.

So, put me down for a no.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

In hindsight, the 90s cartoon wasn't that great. It was a severely watered down, vacuous version of the comics.

So, put me down for a no.

me also. I didn't like the cartoon at the time, I don't associate anything about '92 as being especially good for the X-men.

...now if we were talking X-men '84, then we'd talking about the glory days..

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'd rather have a comic continuation of the Wolverine and the X-Men TV show personally. That show ended too soon.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd read that. Could be awesome. I'd read an X-Men Evolution comic also.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm interested. It's the X-Men. It's a given.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Koays

Not really..... I mean as said before it was really just a watered down version of what we already have. In hindsight it didn't really even do anything to different or original that I'd like to see continued.

if we're going to get a comic based on a universe I'd like it to be based on something more original then a " greatest hits" show. They wanna do a Wolverine and the X-Men TAS comic or a X-Men Evolution comic I'm on board....other wise they might as well just say "hey were doing a comic that rewinds back to the Lobdell run but with half the cast and continuity"

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EC2277

@minisaladfresh: The Marvel has bring the Original 5 in the present, has resurrected Gwen Stacy making her a Spider Woman of an alternative universe, has turned Old Cyclops and Captain America into two Mussolini, has turned Carnage into an hero, has killed Wolverine, will end Fantastic Four title, they has turned Young Cyclops in a space pirate and ask you if X-Men'92 will be an ongoing series?

Brother, believe me don't do question like that, because "the answer is inside you, but it is the wrong one"; obviously I'm joking. ;-)

@koays said:

Not really..... I mean as said before it was really just a watered down version of what we already have. In hindsight it didn't really even do anything to different or original that I'd like to see continued.

if we're going to get a comic based on a universe I'd like it to be based on something more original then a " greatest hits" show. They wanna do a Wolverine and the X-Men TAS comic or a X-Men Evolution comic I'm on board....other wise they might as well just say "hey were doing a comic that rewinds back to the Lobdell run but with half the cast and continuity"

I agree, it could be interesting create an alternative Universe based on the Lodbel/Nicezia run, but with a smallest cast and a simpliest continuity.

P.S. Excuse me for the off topic, but I have a question: is the girl in the centre of the teaser of "Years of future past" Young Jean or a young Kitty?

At first time I thought she was Jean, but then I remembered also Kitty had weared that uniform in her first presences in Uncanny X-Men.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: Responding seriously, I think the problem isn't if the Marvel will do an ongoing series of X-Men'92, but if that series will be a good series. In my opinion the period from 1992 to '97 was the golden age of the X-Men, because that x-stories were written by two very great writers: Lobdell and Nicezia. They were able to combine perfectly develop of the characters, with action, drama and coups the theatre. After their run we haven't writers able to write stories so well balanced.

Obviously this is a my opinion, but I don't know if the Marvel has writers can be albe to create such wonderful alchemy or drama, romance, action, suspense, commedy and introspection.

If these writers are and will write the stories of X-Men'92 I think I will buy that series. Not only, I think that will be a great success.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: that is young kitty in the center of the years of futures pass promo

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: There's always a chance Scott Lobdell could be tempted back for X-Men '92. If he does return I think it could mean big things.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EC2277
    Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would buy it if it did...

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By devilsgrin81

We do all realise that we essentially DID have this series already right?

X-Men Forever was basically X-Men '92 as a series. The line-up wasn't the same, but it was pretty close.

No Caption Provided

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilsgrin81: The fact that I'd never heard of this kind of says a lot. I don't think the series was either as good or as well publicized as it should have been based on how long (or not) it ran. X-Men '92 is being publicized quite well alongside the other teases at the moment though so it may have more of a chance of being successful than X-Men Forever did.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men Forever was basically X-Men '92 as a series. The line-up wasn't the same, but it was pretty close.

There is nothing similar about X-Men Forever and the X-Men cartoon...other than it being based on the X-Men

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eh, I'd doubt it.

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, I think it would be great to read. I saw this series many times. Maybe reading it would be fun and not just that, it might be a little different from the cartoon though.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I would definitely be on board with this, as long as it doesn't tie in with the current X-Men comics. Heck, give me an X-Men Evolution comic and I would be really happy!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

Never really liked the show, way too melodramatic, just like Spider-Man TAS.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EC2277

@devilsgrin81 said:

No Caption Provided

Nope, X-Men Forever was the story which Claremont would wrote if he had continued to write the X-Men after 1991. This X-Men'92 is a totally different story and an hypothetical ongoing series would be one other thing, because we would have a different writer.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes but they seriously need to downplay mutant discrimination.

its getting tired

MoonStar757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By MoonStar757

I would totally buy it! The animated series was the best representation of the X-Men in my opinion, Evolution was not too bad but WATX was such crap, i mean i enjoyed the story but the animation??? pitiful! At least TAS's animation was epic, beautiful and heroic-looking.

And if i'm totally honest I love TAS cos it is the only animated X-series that portrays Storm in a strong, powerful and major role...all the shows after that (inc the anime one) have turned her into some weakling supporting character which just annoys the crap outta me.

So based on Storm's portrayal, the legendary lineup of Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, Beast, Gambit, Jubilee and Jean Grey and the great artwork then yes I'm so game for an ongoing series :)

Viperians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd read it, but I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.