Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-men #600 pushed to October

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......figures

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Ok why? Any good reason?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: Actually considering how much stuff he's writing and his TV show getting renewed he probably just figured it wouldn't matter since Secret Wars is interrupting things anyway....he lacks the ability to multitask but continues to add more responsibilities.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Sure but October is kind too late. Since Secret Wars is only last for two mounths (main series has 8 issues) anyway but it would be kind confusing to some readers to also not talk about worthless it is, in October we will know what happened with the X-Men.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be real here, is anyone that surprised? Bendis gave up on the X-Men like a year ago.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: idk about that, I haven't seen or heard anything regarding new titles starting after Secret wars that would make me think everything will be back by October. Last I heard they had one set for December release so who knows.

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So to understand, we would have read the destruction of the existing marvel universe and read the birth of the new one before finishing Uncanny X-men. LMFAO!

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awww i was looking forward to it......damn it....they said a little before october

Materiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first delay already took the wind out of the sails, now they're taking out the stitching on the sails themselves.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is bad news.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis claims on CBR that this was Marvels call due to PR and marketing but that he is fine with it.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I would be okay with Bendis getting hit by a bus and a new writer assigned. The king of copouts Bendis needs to stop writing comics, he doesn't know how to follow through on good ideas even when the whole friggen univierse is ending and he pretty much has free reign to do whatever, with that what do we get? A schitzoid new mutant who loves cyclops one minute and in the next is threatening to kill him, a revolution that goes nowhere despite cyclops being portrayed as willing to fight and kill to protect mutants all the way back since dark reign, and goldballs, yeah, gold balls. Bendis you SUCK, and Hickmans writing of the pheonix egg, nation X (which we still don't know how cykes revolution succeeded) and scotts sentinel army prove Hickman could do in 4 pages what Bendis couldnt accomplish in 30 plus issues. Rant below

Bendis single handedly ruined Cyclops team, he his staunchest allies turn traitor or dissaper even though they were willing to fight and die for him for years, all of the sudden fighting the government wasn't cool anymore? haven't we been fighting the government from the very start, did he think the sentinels are made by home depot or something? Revolution is a bad thing now? fighting oppression is scarey now, no longer heroic? the day fighting the government makes you a villian is the day the bad guys win, sadly that is how Bendis portrayed scott to the world, instead of mutantkind rallying to fight for its place in the world, we have people confronting scott saying revolution is bad.

I am just forever thankful that I am younger and healthier than these crap writers, Bendis and Aaron in particular. Party at my place the day those ****suckers die.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Marvel cares nothing about the Xmen and neither does Bendis who happens to be a complete joke by the way and one of the worst writers ever on Xmen. I just want the guy gone completely. Dont drag it out just get rid of him. In fact #600 doesnt even have to go to print, just drop it like it never existed

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hopesummersforthefuture: yea i heard about this. More of the contrived Iceman is gay garbage. Im not gay and Im offended by this obvious PR grab or stunt or whatever you want to call it

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: Brian had the audacity to claim that this story wasn't a PR thing. It was super offensive to anyone who is gay/bi/questioning.
    Either way, I am so excited to get him off X-Men. It is sad when the movie writers are doing a better job than their literary counterparts.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can just imagine the thought bubble in the last panel with adult Bobby something like "Gay, i'm not gay BENDIS!!!!!!!!.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, not wasting the time....

Let's at least be satisfied that he's following up on something instead of just dropping the bomb and leaving.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#23  Edited By Teerack

@vitalius said:

@koays: Sure but October is kind too late. Since Secret Wars is only last for two mounths (main series has 8 issues) anyway but it would be kind confusing to some readers to also not talk about worthless it is, in October we will know what happened with the X-Men.

They haven't provided a full release schedule for Secret Wars and we don't know how long it will last.

600 Is an over-sized issue that will finish the whole story he wanted to do in his run but never got to do so thinking about this practically the writing has probably been done for a while now, but it's one artist who has to draw and color like 100 pages(which is like five months of work for most artist), so that is where the delay is likely coming from especially considering the artist has other work he needs to do as well.

Bendis' stories work much better as trades so getting the whole thing at once will be great. The only real issue with his X-Men is the pacing and the fact higher ups kept forcing him to deter into events(Axis and Vortex) so the book had some real issues getting anywhere.

Hate on Bendis all you like, but what he did for Emma and Scott was great. He really did a great job at continuing to develop Scott and what he did with Emma having proven powers for a year was really smart because it made nicer and a better person since she was forced to connect with people on a more personal level.

Magneto is also the best X-Men book in my opinion and it was actually BMB's idea to get him a solo title and he has said that his goal with Magneto in his x-men run was to set things up for him to have a solo book and I'm grateful for that, so it's not as if he didn't add anything positive to the franchise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Ok. Is the rest for me or you forgot to tag other people as well? I actually liked Bendis work on the characthers like Magik and Stepford Cuckoos. I never had problem with Scott or Emma exept when say that Cyclops´s powers were broken and everytime he use them it was lucky shot.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Teerack

@vitalius said:

@teerack: Ok. Is the rest for me or you forgot to tag other people as well? I actually liked Bendis work on the characthers like Magik and Stepford Cuckoos. I never had problem with Scott or Emma exept when say that Cyclops´s powers were broken and everytime he use them it was lucky shot.

Just the first two parts were for you the rest was meant to be a general response to the thread.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EC2277
    @earthsmightiest said:

I can just imagine the thought bubble in the last panel with adult Bobby something like "Gay, i'm not gay BENDIS!!!!!!!!.

Alonso in an interview said something like: «Both Teen Bobby than Old Bobby are gay, but thank to Jean, Teen Bobby now know; like Old Bobby will.

@koays said:

Eh, not wasting the time....

Let's at least be satisfied that he's following up on something instead of just dropping the bomb and leaving.

Yes, it is what he's doing.

I hope the future writer will drop this stupid idea, saying that it was only a prank, because the others X-Men wanted to avenge of the continuous pranks made by Bobby.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Lol what did he do for either character? Other than enforce that Scott has be Marvel's cry baby for 50 years. Please enlighten everyone on the amazing character development that has happened.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#28 god_spawn  Moderator

@teerack:

They haven't provided a full release schedule for Secret Wars and we don't know how long it will last.

Brevoort said it would last for about 5 months.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @vitalius said:

600 Is an over-sized issue that will finish the whole story he wanted to do in his run but never got to do so thinking about this practically the writing has probably been done for a while now, but it's one artist who has to draw and color like 100 pages(which is like five months of work for most artist), so that is where the delay is likely coming from especially considering the artist has other work he needs to do as well.

Bendis' stories work much better as trades so getting the whole thing at once will be great. The only real issue with his X-Men is the pacing and the fact higher ups kept forcing him to deter into events(Axis and Vortex) so the book had some real issues getting anywhere.

Hate on Bendis all you like, but what he did for Emma and Scott was great. He really did a great job at continuing to develop Scott and what he did with Emma having proven powers for a year was really smart because it made nicer and a better person since she was forced to connect with people on a more personal level.

Magneto is also the best X-Men book in my opinion and it was actually BMB's idea to get him a solo title and he has said that his goal with Magneto in his x-men run was to set things up for him to have a solo book and I'm grateful for that, so it's not as if he didn't add anything positive to the franchise.

Yea i just like cause i was tagged I should be allowed to respond....so don't get me wrong, I can see why you'd feel the need to defend Bendis but both sides need to be completely honest.... and the truth is we don't know anything about why it is delayed. Powers (another Bendis title) has also been delayed and there have been several schedule slips for all his titles throughout 2015....blaming an artist when would make sense in any other situation but Bendis is the common factor between Uncanny, All New, Guardians and Ultimate Spider-man...who have all had delays of different lengths in recent months.

. I agree with the idea of Bendis being a far better read in trade, and I suggest most people read his run from beginning to end in one go before completely condemning it for pacing (similar to Astonishing which had legendary schedule slips). BUT if your going to say that someone was forcing him to do Events and crossovers then I think that requires more evidence due to the amount of stroke he seems to have(even going backs as far him being the one to kill off Xavier before he was on the title proper), as well as the gratuitous amount of mini event and Crossovers that he himself instigated just within All New X-Men which had very little in the way of character development and badly hurt the progress of the book.

I can't speak on whether someone could've done better then Bendis in regards to Cyclops....Gillen is the closest thing we've seen to someone else tackling the same situation and while AvX-Consequences was a great tone setter...we didn't get 3-4 years of that version of the character to compare against Bendis'. And personally I like Bendis' Cyclops overall, despite disagreeing with some recent story choices. On the other hand to say that Bendis did something special with Emma is ludicrous. Emma's journey stops literally the day the Cuckoo's joined the team, after that she doesn't get any developments or scenes that can be interpreted as her being any nicer then she was before she lost her powers. I think that breaking the powers of the X-Men was a great idea, but to say that anyone (aside from Magneto) grew from the experience at this point requires a stretch, and in the case of Emma, it requires rewriting history. It can't even be debated because their aren't enough scenes of her to argue that it was effecting her.

Again this isn't an attempt to jump down your throat for "daring to go against Hivemind". And I argree that Bendis' ideas were some of the freshest and most interesting things we've seen and he should be recognized for his positive attempts, but the execution was very sloppy and for a time the majority of information we had on characters was from what he had said rather then what was going on in the books. To me that's signs of bad writing, and in the course of 2 months we've seen the consequences of him not exploring the ideas he set up. Angel dealing with Archangel is only explored after 40 issues as a way to explain a random decision, Emma losing her powers and getting them back and being changed by the experience happened off panel and had to be announced as his intention. And Scott's plan had to be explained as a 31 issue gambit, without any hint or development in this direction.

Bendis should be praised for being edgy and for shaking things up (the landscape is completely different from Pre-AvX), as well as opening the door to good stories. The fact that Magneto and Cyclops solos are heavily praised by their readers shows how good his ideas can be, but the sloppy send off of Cyclops into space shows where good ideas and execution differ.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teerack

@koays: Bendis was a host at the 2015 Comic Con Events panel and he went into the details of how events at marvel worked. He said that you're pretty much doing your own thing and if you're book is doing good enough a higher up will come and ask you to do an event in x-amount of months, so just like how Remember(Tho remember was pretty vocal about not liking how control of the story was king of taken from him lol) had to do Axis I think think Bendis had to do Vortex because I don't see marvel just changing how they work only 7 months later.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Teerack
    @dman1366 said:

@teerack: Lol what did he do for either character? Other than enforce that Scott has be Marvel's cry baby for 50 years. Please enlighten everyone on the amazing character development that has happened.

You'd need to have a nearly cartoony understanding of people to not think he's done anything.

Emma was mostly two dimensional for the longest of time. Every now and then you'd see tiny glimpse of a real person underneath, but for the most part it was either just a ton of sexuality or a ton of sassiness. Emma would either be in Scott's head going "Oh I am so in love, love, love, love! Also I'm jealous of Jean!" and that summed up half her character. Then there was the other side of her which was pretty much just comic relief where she would come over and just say a ton of shitty bitchy things to make everyone feel bad and that was that. Taking away her powers she couldn't just know what people were thinking and it left her feeling more isolated and vulnerable then she had maybe ever been before. She actually had to connect with people on a personal level and if you pay attention to her from the start to now she becomes a nicer and nicer person to be around as the series goes on. She actually seems like friends to the other x-men for once, and not just Scott's bitchy girlfriend. As proud as Emma is she has always felt like she was in Jean's shadow if you understood why she hated her so much. Her being forced to teach and be close to a teenage Jean helped her get over one of the biggest sources of baggage she was carrying around for like a decade. Her powers being broken also lead to her daughters standing up to her at an age where they are coming into their own people as adults and really teaching her that they aren't just copies of her, but their own different people. At the end of their conflict where Emma had heard and understood where they were coming from the girls also got to see their mom in one of her most painful and lowest moments in her memories, and both parties walked away with a better relationship.

Scott Summer has always been one of the most complex and interesting characters at marvel comics. For the longest time he slowly started to buckle under the pressure of knowing that ever choice he made would be the difference between survival and extension for an entire race of people. Scott used to actually smile and be a pretty fun guy, but after M-Day the pressure really started to build up and slowly and surely he stopped joking, smiling, and being happy. He found himself in a position where maybe he could possibly save the whole world but it all went upside down and he ended up killing a man who in every way that mattered was his father. To make things worse the source of all of this was the Phoenix. When you really look at Scott's life as a whole the Phoenix really has ruined his life ever time it's shown up. Taking all of that into consideration unless you don't believe Scott Summers is a mortal its totally reasonable to have Scott snap and enter a mental break down. He didn't know what to do anymore so he just tried doing something insane by bluffing the world into thinking he was like Magneto. People always say that Scott is very polarizing, but now it's easy to understand how a person feeling so much pressure and isn't in a position where he can afford to grieve and has to repress his painful feelings because he believes that he is the only thing standing in the way of a mutant genocide makes his inability to emphasize properly a lot more understandable. Scott Summers a lot of the time before Bendis's run came off very cold and unfeeling, but this whole run really thought us that he does feel a lot, but just isn't able to just allow himself to have healthy human emotions. He is a very repressed man with lots of self loathing and depression buried down deep. I think anyone who reads this and has been paying attention to the character from at least M-Day should be able to feel a lot of respect and pity for the guy. Bendis really made Scott Summers human again. You don't really get to see this kind of character exploration outside of a solo book without the handicap of tons of eternal monologues to spell shit out for people.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Ok but again, the issue with events like Vortex, Trial and BotA weren't just that they were WAY to close together but that they didn't develop or contribute to the characters and weren't well written. It's like even if you include the the pressure that might be on him and the sheer ridiculous amount of books that this man is writing or has power over you have to judge the events for what they are.... and All New X-Men has has been especially bad after events and doesn't really gain much from them.

It also doesn't excuse stories like the Ultimate adventure or the second fight against the future brotherhood. Neither does much for continuing the stories and when compared to even one of issues between arcs they fail to deliver. Im not saying marvel isn't at fault, I mean Remender's run was cleary hurt by what he had to do and im sure other writers were as well, but it's not right to lay it all on the company when the man has alot of issues with his writing style.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bendis said the issue was done, done, done. It was ready to go to print and Marvel was the one to stop it. He says that the extra time isn't to tweak the story as how it's written now is how it's going to be presented in October. I guess they want it as an opener to the new openly gay/realised Bobby.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teerack

@koays: I don't think you need to excuse stories like the ultimate adventure? I wouldn't have minded if they were stuck there for the rest of the series until 616 fell from the sky. That was just some traditional alternate reality hopping x-men fun. The same with the trail it wasn't much of an event as much as just a normal cross over story between two books. I'm not saying there aren't flaws with his writing but he is just an artist/writer he isn't an editor or an executive he has pretty much no control over deadlines and when events take place other then missing them. I'm sure Hickman has been writing Avengers all this time and he took his time to tell an amazing story but when Marvel couldn't wait on announcing Secret Wars for this summer he had to make his books take a 8 month time skip and pass his story notes onto writers of other titles to fill in the blanks(Mighty Avengers, Avengers World, etc.). The scale of an event and the end story is never the same as what the original story is with the way marvel works on their big events.

I don't understand why people single out Bendis so much when the other x-men books have been worse. I mean before Yosh took over Amazing X-Men everyone had terrible characterization and the dialog sounded so fake it was insane it got published. The same could be said for the dramatic ups and downs of quality in the X-Men series. Not to mention the terrible Nightcrawler book. I also find myself scratching my head how such a great creator like Pak could be behind the Storm title.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: doesnt surpise me. There gonna try a new approach for things and a End of Run Bendis book is likely the best way to do it, He likes to shake things up and im sure Uncanny 600 will be a grenade in the room and the perfect example of the new Marvel "Buy Our Books" comics.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Lol i'll tell you write now that ppl approach Storm criticism with caution on this site, but really it doesnt seem like alot of ppl were following that story to see the let down. Similarly Nightcrawler was dropped early on by alot of readers. With Bendis he's piloting the traditional flagship title as well as the most edgy titles on the roster. He's asking for criticism because he's the most important, because as much as Aaron sucked when he wanted too he was never as important as Bendis' books were at there worst.

As far as the Ult adventure i'll say what i have since day one.....it was too soon and nothing came of it. All New x-men at the time was suffering from a lack of development and exploration of even the most obvious and simplistic choices for character growth. The series was hurting because of it and it didnt lead to anything...even the obvious (if very weak) "it could be worst" type of growth. The trial was the point where the series stopped being controversial and started being episodic. Which for a series that was consider the No. 2 in terms of impotance at the time is very bad. It became what i expected from A isssue of Amazing X-Men. It did very little to gro the characters and was built more on the controversy of Jean's new power then anything else because nothing else was added to the story even on a personal level.

Its not that ppl are singling out Bendis (though they are as some post show) but more to the point that no one would say that XX-Men at its best is a flagship title, or Amazing....hell WatX-Men had and lost that status. But Bendis' titles rwmain the most must read titles because you know that unlike Shogo from XX-men or QueintenXOya from WatX-Men the adventures of Scott and the 05 arent somethng that can be over looked or ignored. Because as much as we may hate/love/shrug our shoulders at his stories Bendis is the trend setter and the most important writer on the books

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis did good for Cyclops and Emma? 0_0

You learn something new every day.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By adamTRMM

Anyway, at least one reason for this delay must be rewriting, we have no idea what Bendis planned exactly for Iceman, but let's face it, the backlash and controversy forced him to do an additional move right there. Now the question is, what is this move?

In theory, he could've left an absolutely ambiguous resolution for adult Iceman sexuality to leave it for the upcoming writer to resolve initially, but now after so many media points, I think they (it's also editorial now) had to canonize it and add answers to the questions many have asked. That's imo at least.

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really starting to believe Marvel cares nothing about the X-men. I gave Marvel the benefit of the doubt but I just can't do it anymore. I still have shred of hope though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.