Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men #4 - Cat Eyes, Psychic Energy Constructs?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#1  Edited By knighthood

Overall it was an amazing issue. Jube and Logan was great. I'm just not sure how Psylocke could make those kind of energy constructs. I always thought her daggers were psychic energy and not telekinetics. Is this something new? It's kinda odd to see the return of Ororo's cat eyes. What do you guys think?

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I like the idea of Psylocke developing her telekinesis into these psychic constructs because it distinguishes her from other telekinetics, like Rachel, and is a clever resolution to her confusing power set.

And I love Storm's cat eyes. In my head canon, it is another part of her white witch heritage, along with the white hair and blues.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I didn't think this issue was really that good. It just felt like filler for the upcoming "event". It wasn't terrible just a bit of a let down

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@knighthood: If I am not mistaken, it is referring to Storm being a descendant of a line of white haired witches.

@silver_raven: did you know about this?

No Caption Provided

Proto-Storm, mixed with a character called Tempest or Typhoon to create Storm. :)

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I didn't think this issue was really that good. It just felt like filler for the upcoming "event". It wasn't terrible just a bit of a let down

I'm just curious did you read the book during outback days? Did you catch the references?

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Silver_Raven

@outside_85 said:

@knighthood: If I am not mistaken, it is referring to Storm being a descendant of a line of white haired witches.

@oldnightcrawler said:

@silver_raven: did you know about this?

No Caption Provided

Proto-Storm, mixed with a character called Tempest or Typhoon to create Storm. :)

Yeah i knew about her design origin, which might explain why some artists pay homage to her cat eyes, but then story wise it doesn't make much sense. Unless it is part of her mystical heritage, which is my theory and maybe Claremont's too, IDK?

Sadly so much of Storm history and legacy has been ignored. If i could write a Storm's origins book I would love to delve back into her ancestry and explain why her lineage have the white hair and blue cat eyes. Like Ayesha the first Sorceress Supreme and then later Ashake, of ancient Eygpt, who met the New Mutants. She also had the cat eyes, and blue eyes and white hair as well.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@silver_raven: yeah, I like that there's that way of looking at it.

personally, I'm fine with the explanation that she has weird eyes because she's a mutant. It doesn't have to make sense.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly so much of Storm history and legacy has been ignored. If i could write a Storm's origins book I would love to delve back into her ancestry and explain why her lineage have the white hair and blue cat eyes. Like Ayesha the first Sorceress Supreme and then later Ashake, of ancient Eygpt, who met the New Mutants. She also had the cat eyes, and blue eyes and white hair as well.

No Caption Provided

The white hair and blue eyes thing was a gift to Ororo's family from the goddess Oshtur. Whether you find it offensive or attractive, her family's hair and eye color are not connected to mutant genetics - they are divine in origin.

I never considered Ashake to have cat-shaped eyes, though. I don't think we were literally supposed to think they looked like cat's eyes, either. Catseye from the Hellions had them as part of her mutation but I always thought Ororo's just looked particularly striking and elegant (also known as "almond-shaped eyes"), like the looks below. I'm pretty sure the feline eyes is just a carryover from her earlier appearances and for whatever reason, no one saw fit to clearly define her appearance/character design, b/c there is also inconsistency with her facial features.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@knighthood:

I did though I've forgotten most of that era since I haven't read it lately. I still thought this issue while nostalgic in some ways was a let down in others. Psylockes new manifestation of powers was interesting, I guess Im just a bit tired of these guys dragging stuff out. IMO explaining Jubilee's deal and showing the mystery/new member is something I want done and not put on the backburner, dragged out and then ultimately forgotten or cancelled like so many other explanations to Marvel characters and origins.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silver_Raven

@phoenixofthetides: There is an image of Storm with full on slit pupil cat eyes, in a group shot from some issue where the team are gathered around Madelyne Pryor and her baby. It almost looks like she wants to eat little Nate. ^-^ It's great.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood:

I'd like to see a scan of this recent issue... anybody got one!?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@silver_raven said:

@phoenixofthetides: There is an image of Storm with full on slit pupil cat eyes, in a group shot from some issue where the team are gathered around Madelyne Pryor and her baby. It almost looks like she wants to eat little Nate. ^-^ It's great.

No Caption Provided

this one, right? Rick Leonardi, the first page of DUEL, from The Uncanny X-Men #201 - Duel.

No Caption Provided

I love this issue.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

That's the one! I even have the issue too. Thanks for finding it.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By knighthood

@silver_raven: I didn't know anything about Ashake or Ayesha. Thanks for the exmples, it looks like I'll need to find some back issues.

@knighthood:

Sure... Obviously some spoilage but it's been out a few days so....

Cats Eyes + Drama
    Cats Eyes + Drama
    TK Construct Example 1
    TK Construct Example 1
    TK Construct Example 2
    TK Construct Example 2

I've also noticed Storm's eyes are not blue. Her pupils appear to return to normal later in the issue.

@hawk2916 said:

@knighthood:

I did though I've forgotten most of that era since I haven't read it lately. I still thought this issue while nostalgic in some ways was a let down in others. Psylockes new manifestation of powers was interesting, I guess Im just a bit tired of these guys dragging stuff out. IMO explaining Jubilee's deal and showing the mystery/new member is something I want done and not put on the backburner, dragged out and then ultimately forgotten or cancelled like so many other explanations to Marvel characters and origins.

The pacing is fine to me. Obviously spelling out Jubilee's situation is somewhat important since this is a new volume and they still need to be new reader friendly. Since this was a single issue before Battle of the Atom, I'm sure Wood didn't have many options and decided to go with a bit of fluff instead of a real meaty story.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By AgeofHurricane

This issue was so bloody gud i could

eat

it. Literally

eat

it. Brian Wood just doesn't stop, this issue was filled to the brim with Claremontian goodness and then some. Had the StormxRachel conflict which was the highlight of this issue, started from the previewed pages, i'd concede with the forced vibe. But no, being the veteran Claremazons that they are, it's up close and personal. They both let their feelings and view-points out on the situation and have at it from the get go, which i expect. As a leader, Storm will make the decisions that none of the other team members will be inclined to, regardless of whether or not they're "happy" about the outcome or are still friends with her the next day--she is the leader of the X-Men and that is her responsibility, obvs Rachel didn't agree, and clearly, she wasn't about to sweep her disdain under rug and carry on peachy keen, if anyone was expecting this...go read a Bendis comic (oh, wait...), the whole clashing of ideologies, calling to account and getting to the source of the real problem was brill (i also hope to see Karima show up in the next issue, if possible). WoodStorm leaves me squealing like an anime fan-girl after every panel. I love it. She is the Mohawk Storm that Humphries tried to crap out, that following statement from Rachel's questioning of who the current leader of the X-Men was, reminded me why Wood is the one. Wolverine's too busy playing hide-and-seek with Mystique, while Cyclops and his gothic hobos are making a bid for attention, out of the three, she always was the serious one.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

See the analogy. Brian Wood is it.

Speaking of Wolverine, other than Cornell's version, it was a relief to read of page of Wolverine dialogue where i didn't want to shoot myself because of the ooc babbling or the scheduled preaching of some sort, he looked and felt normal. Conversation of Jubilee FINALLY growing up was an added bonus, development for someone who's been in a mess for quite some time, stepping into motherhood, questioning if she's got what it takes, and the reassurance that she does.

The trip down memory lane of what happened to Jubilee's parents and where she first laid eyes on the X-Men (and that bolded Dazzler s/o) was fab. After all these years, heavy feels are still felt. I think it was made a bit obvious that this was filler, but that doesn't detract from the fact that this issue had it all.

Hope this relationship between Rachel and Sublime continues to flourish, and i hope Storm continues to troll Rachel till she possibly leaves the team. I don't see the problem--otherwise, Rachel should just be confined to Aaron's book where she does virtually nothing.

The dynamic of this team, the literal sister act--BOTA really doesn't need to come so soon, it'll be sad to break them up.

Only gripe was that Lopez's art wasn't on par with his work from last year, which was stunning. Still, it was nice when needed.

10000000000000000000000/10.

Also, in addition to everything else that's been discussed in regards to Ororo's eyes, i wouldn't call it a "return", so much as it is another artist who knows and appreciates their detail. </3

Jimenez
    Jimenez

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: Awesome summary. Thanks for bringing up the Inferno related analogy.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like the cat eyes.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: good assessment.

Something I was thinking when I read the drama between Storm and Rachel wasn't so much that Storm was trying to get Rachel to back down so much as she was challenging her to step up. She never really calls for Rachel to fall in line so much as she recognizes the need for leadership and steps into the role.

She wins the argument by actually calling the shots for what has to happen next to keep the situation moving towards resolution, but I couldn't help but feel she would have been just as happy to have Rachel take the hint and step up with some leadership herself.

Was that just me reading it that way?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By knighthood

@jhazzroucher said:

I don't like the cat eyes.

So that's the one thing you don't like about Storm. I like em on occasion, but not all the time.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By papad1992

@silver_raven: I didn't know anything about Ashake or Ayesha. Thanks for the exmples, it looks like I'll need to find some back issues.

@papad1992 said:

@knighthood:

Sure... Obviously some spoilage but it's been out a few days so....

Cats Eyes + Drama
    Cats Eyes + Drama
    TK Construct Example 1
    TK Construct Example 1
    TK Construct Example 2
    TK Construct Example 2

I've also noticed Storm's eyes are not blue. Her pupils appear to return to normal later in the issue.

@hawk2916 said:

@knighthood:

The pacing is fine to me. Obviously spelling out Jubilee's situation is somewhat important since this is a new volume and they still need to be new reader friendly. Since this was a single issue before Battle of the Atom, I'm sure Wood didn't have many options and decided to go with a bit of fluff instead of a real meaty story.

Thanks for the scans... I like the cats eyes. It brings some nostalgic feel to her character and touches upon her mystical background. And the TK constructs are bad@ss!!

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: good assessment.

Something I was thinking when I read the drama between Storm and Rachel wasn't so much that Storm was trying to get Rachel to back down so much as she was challenging her to step up. She never really calls for Rachel to fall in line so much as she recognizes the need for leadership and steps into the role.

She wins the argument by actually calling the shots for what has to happen next to keep the situation moving towards resolution, but I couldn't help but feel she would have been just as happy to have Rachel take the hint and step up with some leadership herself.

Was that just me reading it that way?

Thank you, and an informative addition of your own. Didn't exactly think of it in that way, but i can entirely see it. More so because i like to harken back to writer interviews while reading their final products, and Wood never disappoints. Being that there's a consensual level of respect amongst all these women because the strong familial bond/relationships between them, he stated that there was no particular authoritative leader (from a reader' point of view though, it's a bit obvious who the leader is), so, it kind of just fell into place because they worked so well together, and like you've implied, either one of them could step into the leadership position if need be. Which was the crux of the Rachel/Storm argument and Storm saying that it wasn't Storm and the X-Men, they were just the X-Men, which i liked. Though Rachel's points were quite valid and it could have gone either way.

It's not a dictatorship as they've been together for so long. They're literally just X-Men doing what they do best.

Gosh, i do so love this team.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved this issue, the art was great(I preferred this issue to the previous three) and the characters were written very well and I loved the interaction between them

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the issue was good, stated so much about each one's character. But i'd have to say, i didn't like the artwork so much. It wasn't bad though, I just think the artwork of the 1st 3 issues were way better than the new artwork

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sinisteri

Love the cat eyes. It was part of her character creation.

I wish more of Storm's ancestry and any ties to magic in her family background was fully explored. Don't think it has been explored since the Magik mini-series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.