Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men #1

• 126 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This review is spoiler free! Don't worry! (be happy?)

The Good

Jubilee has herself an orphaned baby and is heading back the the school, but she's being followed by an old and very powerful enemy of the X-Men. However, there's something bigger on the horizon that could destroy all of humanity.

I'm a bit of a flaky X-Men reader. I pretty much only read series written or drawn by some of my favorite characters. Essentially, I'm relatively new to the X-Men world, and I felt very at home with this new series, mainly because it has a tie-in to one of my favorite runs of any comic: Grant Morrison's NEW X-MEN. Even readers that haven't read Morrison's epic in the past should have no problem jumping in because writer Brian Wood does a stupendous job at explaining many aspects of the tie-in that they missed out on. The only thing, as a "new reader" that lost me a tiny bit was the ending because I wasn't familiar with the character the at the end of the issue.

Without giving anything away, I have to say the subject/villain choice for this first story works incredibly well. This isn't an over-used villain, and it's one that has the potential to pose a big threat to the X-Men and the entire Earth. We get to see some of this villain's history and their origin as well in the opening pages. I really haven't been this excited for a conflict, in an X-Men book, in a long time.

I'm really digging this new X-Men team. One thing I always loved about Brian Wood's writing is that he's great with team dynamics and relationships (Read ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN also). The team seems to work well together and there's little to no conflict within the group. Honestly, it's nice to see a team getting along from the get-go. These are all characters who have a place on this team, and there's just something special to the way Wood writes Kitty Pryde. She's much more of a frontline warrior here, compared to the Ultimate series where Wood has her in more of a diplomatic role. Rogue, Storm, and Kitty all work very well together, especially in one particular instance, and I love seeing well-established characters working together.

On the artistic side of things, X-MEN #1 delivers some well-crafted and epic scenes that are extremely intense and show movement extremely well all thanks to the creative team of Olivier Coipel (art and inks), Mark Morales (inks), and Laura Martin (colors). They opening pages of this issue are fantastic. Felt like an opening to a big budget, summer blockbuster, but in a good way. There was a great use of negative space throughout the opening as well. Coipel's work, through the rest of the issue, is eye candy, plain and simple. It's solid story telling through art.

The Bad

I had high expectations for this book because of the creative team, and I wasn't disappointed. You will most likely see this at the top of my list for this month's Top of the Pile.

The Verdict

It's Marvel's all-female X-team that never mentions the fact it's an all female X-team, and that's something I love about it. The focus is on the story and its characters and not the sex of the characters that make up this book. What Wood and Coipel have given readers is a wonderful introduction to a team book. There's a few interesting twists, right from the start, and it is one of my favorite reads from this past month. This is the start to something awesome.

Overall, I highly recommend picking this issue up.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeeguy91

Hopefully this'll prove to have a better direction than Bendis' All New X-Men. That book has been spinning its wheels for a while.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Was hoping this would get 5 stars; great review, looks like it will be an awesome read. Thankfully.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

"Oh" Olivia Coipel, if we lived in Canada id make you my bride!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

I'm still unconvinced this is going to be good. Considering you guys do sorta hand out 5 star reviews :V

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I want this book to be amazing, but since in my experience everything I like turns to crap after I get my hands on it, I'm not sure if it will.

Edit: You can add me to the list of people who dropped Uncanny X-Force In Name Only but will be reading this.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@teerack said:

I'm still unconvinced this is going to be good. Considering you guys do sorta hand out 5 star reviews :V

Thanks for reading!

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

I hope this is as great as the series this replaced. His run was a little choppy story arc to story arc but the overall story was great.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

@inferiorego: Been prodding the wife to read a Marvel title since they really have nothing to offer her - thanks for posting this sir.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
    Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I was promised 'lots of sex' in this book. Did it deliver? lol

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I've already dropped Uncanny X-Force, but I'll definitely grab this one tomorrow.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in tears, just sobbing in great, big heaving breaths --- so happy this got the thumbs up from Matt!!!

(Yes, I am fan-girling and no, not over Matt - over the the book. Calm down.)

I have yet to come across a book Matt liked that didn't turn out to be liked by me as well. Thank you for the review, I can hardly wait to hold this in my hands. **beams - stars in eyes**

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeap, i'll be looking into this then :)

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hawkguy

Gonna check it out but I'm not too excited about this. Preview didn't really interest me, probably because the characters don't really do much for me. The art looks nice though!

thejedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By thejedster

I dropped All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny X-Men from my pull but I was super excited to see this new X-Men title show up on the solicits. Now I can have a new X-Men title on my pull that looks and sounds (based on Mat's review) promising. Picking this up tomorrow for sure.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm really quite tired of the X Men and all six million of their books. My friend picks them ALL up and forces me to read them, I'm sure he'll get this one too..so I'll check it out that way, though I'm not really excited about it.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

WANT!

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Killemall

Its meant to be out tomorrow right? I will probably get it after a week, sounds pretty cool will totally check it out.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inferiorego  Staff

@lykopis said:

I am in tears, just sobbing in great, big heaving breaths --- so happy this got the thumbs up from Matt!!!

I have yet to come across a book Matt liked that didn't turn out to be liked by me as well. Thank you for the review, I can hardly wait to hold this in my hands. **beams - stars in eyes**

Man... I thought I had a fangirl for a minute. I was super-excited, then super-let down.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trevel8182: ... you know Olivier Coipel is a dude right?

can someone pm who the villain is? wont be able to get to the comic shop til this weekend

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I clicked the link to this on Facebook and spent the time it took for the page (and rating) to load holding my breath. The enthusiasm of the review itself is encouraging, and I can't wait to read this.

...but I'm going to have to, unless someone takes my standing offer of exchanging digital codes (I ordered a variant and have to wait for it to be mailed here, and I would love if someone who buys an issue tomorrow were willing to give me their code until my copy shows up and I can give them mine).

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego:

As soon as I get my hands on this book, I am sure I will return to this review to post the following:

No Caption Provided

Of which I shall use in the future. ;p

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have a question about the line-up. Is Jubilee still a vampire on this team?

copete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder why the lastest Uncanny X-men was not reviewed? :(

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@lykopis said:

@inferiorego:

As soon as I get my hands on this book, I am sure I will return to this review to post the following:

No Caption Provided

Of which I shall use in the future. ;p

Judging by the tattoos, shirt, and facial hair, this picture is 7 years old.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@teerack said:

Good point.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MyNameWasDeleted

@teerack said:

noticed this too -a bit too much love and not enough critique if you ask me... a 5 star issue ought to BOTH 1)make someone have a life altering emotion of some sort and 2)be rendered in the most amazing artwork. I fear very few of the 5 star reviews here have met those criteria. Meh, we're all fans though so no biggie i guess (?)

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By SavageDragon

Its Brian Wood people. (DMZ, Northlanders, Demo) Believe.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@teerack: @mynamewasdeleted: I actually tend to rely on IGN more heavily than CV when it comes to reviews. I don't always agree with their assessments, but the 10 point scale seems to allow for more variability when it comes to their reviews. They also seem to be more reserved about what deserves a 9+ rating.

Other than that though, CV's community is obviously much cooler and I tend to like the articles (non-reviews) more.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inferiorego  Staff

There's no pleasing some people. I give something a 2 or a 3, people flip and say I'm being too harsh. I give something a 5, and I'm too generous. Good thing my job is to review comics and not to please commentors.

and Ultimate X-Men, which is currently super-rad.

bsmith1190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Now all we need is to get X-23 back here and away from those Avengers Academy geeks and I can die a happy man

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

:')

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no pleasing some people. I give something a 2 or a 3, people flip and say I'm being too harsh. I give something a 5, and I'm too generous. Good thing my job is to review comics and not to please commentors.

@savagedragon said:

Every day I get a new reason to stay here.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:

@savagedragon said:

Every day I get a new reason to stay here.

lol

I'd stay on a website too, if I saw a staff member have a mini-meltdown.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@lykopis said:

Man... I thought I had a fangirl for a minute. I was super-excited, then super-let down.

Don't worry, IE. You're too good for her. And besides, you'll always have K4tz.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

HURRY UP WEDNESDAY!

I'M ABOUT READY TO START READING CLASSIC CLAREMONTIAN X-COMIX AGAIN.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego:

It's the expression on your face in that particular photo -- it has that certain stoic assertiveness to it that matches the sentiment of the meme.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

just read it, review is almost bang on.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at most people's reactions and/or expectations of this series, I might give it a shot. I'm feeling a bit rebellious lately..

Jacobin_Wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: I disagree as I feel it shows a lot of character development, and having a slow pacing is find by me as I like reading comics that have various pacing, keeps things interesting.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

HELLZ YEAHHH!!! XBOOKS>>>Zvengers Book

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Definitely going to pick this up tomorrow.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By John Valentine

I've already dropped Uncanny X-Force, but I'll definitely grab this one tomorrow.

Good to see that people have taste. Uncanny X-Force Vol.2 is AWFUL.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#47  Edited By iceslick

@hawk2916: Yeah Jubilee has both of her powers now. So she's a sparkly vampire now. lol

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Jubilee still a vampire? Did she ever get her powers back? Whats up with her?

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when I was excited about this title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.