Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Face and other horrible decisions introduced by Uncanny X-Men

• 81 results
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Walzo said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

You're tearing through all of my current favorite writers ;_;.

I don't know then, Matt Fraction (I don't even think that's good), Garth Ennis, Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns (eh), Brian K Vaughn?!

Brian K Vaughan is amazing. While his superhero (in the strictest sense of the word) stories are far from his finest work, he is simply so good in other respects that I do not have a bad word to say about the guy.

Garth Ennis is someone that I personally do not like, but he is shameless in what he does. He never pretends to be better than he is. Even his most intellectual work, Preacher, is just blatant parody. I respect him in that regard. I don't particuarly like his work, but that's purely a taste issue not a quality one, but I respect him.

Scott Snyder is totally unoriginal and has simply taken Morrison's far superior work and dumbed it down. His Batman is just Morrison rewritten, but all of the depth and intelligence is removed and replaced with violence and despair. It's a bleak comic book. And I don't mean that in the sense that it's dark, I mean that in the sense that it's like watching a Holocaust movie. There is no passion in the work, what occurs is just vile and repugnant. The heroes are beaten down until the very end, and even their eventual victory is less than satisfactory. Nothing original, nothing to get excited about. Read Morrison's Batman, and realise just how bad Snyder's is.

Matt Fraction is someone that I honestly don't hate that much. His Hawkeye is poor because it's essentially just a migration of Ultimate Hawkeye into the 616. Kate Bishop was aged 8 years so that Clint would not be a sex offender, and most heinously, Clint kills someone. Did you know that the reason Clint and Mockingbird split is because she killed the man who raped her, and Clint was unable to reconcile this in himself? He simply believed that murder was purely and simply wrong, and so they separated. Now he's killing casually. Not so much Fraction's fault as it is Marvel telling him to make Hawkeye more like the movie version.

Geoff f*cking Johns. The ultimate fanboy writer. Someone who lets his own personal feelings so cloud his "work" that he regularly indulges his own fantasies. He hates Batman, and literally every run he has worked on has had some stab at Batman. His Flash series randomly mentions that Batman has it easy as his villains are weak next to the Rogues. This comes from nowhere, and while it may be true, it's an totally unnecessary comment.

Then his retcons, his "BY DOING THIS, I ABSOLVE MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS OF ALL POSSIBLE SINS AND THOSE WHO DO NOT IMMEDIATELY FORGIVE THEM ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED". Well, let's just say he's not called Geoffcon Johns for no reason.

His Justice League is an abomination. Once again, just an exercise is mocking Batman and dismissing his fans. Then we have the fact that every arc is just another reason for the main heroes to fight. It's not a Justice League, it's a bunch of juvenile arsehats punching each other every time something happens. Honestly, the only reason these characters can be called heroes is because some of the things that get in their way during their own in-fights happen to be bad guys.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Decoy Elite said:

@X35 said:

FTBB should write X-Men.

I'd read it.

Damn right you would.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Decoy Elite

There needs to be a "Fade's opinions on writers" thread. Makes me almost want to do a horrible idea.

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By TheCerealKillz

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Just getting this right off the bat, I despise Johns. I do not want you to think I like him.

How is Scott Snyder unoriginal? I've actually gone back to Morrison's stuff on Batman, and I definitely like Snyder's writing a lot more than Morrison's. Also, his work on American Vampire is great.

Also, you've made me curious again. What books ARE you reading?

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TheCerealKillz

@Decoy Elite said:

There needs to be a "Fade's opinions on writers" thread. Makes me almost want to do a horrible idea.

YES YES YES YES YES

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @TheCerealKillz said:

@Decoy Elite said:

There needs to be a "Fade's opinions on writers" thread. Makes me almost want to do a horrible idea.

YES YES YES YES YES

Just use his "Ask Me" thread. It's got some great rants if you feel like looking through it.
    TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TheCerealKillz

@Decoy Elite said:

@TheCerealKillz said:

@Decoy Elite said:

YES YES YES YES YES

Just use his "Ask Me" thread. It's got some great rants if you feel like looking through it.

Yeah, I'm kind of just asking him questions at this point.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By ripcurl

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Yeah, I found that bit about the Builders annoying too.

No mention of Celestials, or Watchers, or Elders...

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@TheCerealKillz:

OK, good. No one should like Johns. It's like Nixon being your favourite President for any reason other than hilarity.

I've not read American Vampire, but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt on that.

• Secret Society that has infiltrated all parts of Gotham and uses the city itself as a weapon? Check
    • Secret Society use knowledge of Bruce Wayne's identity to attack him on every level? Check
    • Intend to both mentally and physically break Batman, by employing henchmen who are in many ways a stark parody of Batman himself? Check
    • Batman gets dosed to Hell with mind-altering drugs? Check
    • The leader of this society has a personal connection to the Wayne family? Check
    • Bruce comes to doubt his parents due to the nature of this enigmatic leader? Check
    • The leader of this society is later revealed to be a Wayne family member? Check
    • Joker mutilates himself in a previously unthought of way? Check
    • Thomas Wayne Jr is Owlman? Check

All used by Morrison.

I read nothing current. I'll get Waid's Hulk and Morrison's Action Comics once both are available in trade form. I flip through stuff like All New X-Men in the shop, so my opinion remains educated and can adequately destroy it if I come on here and am challenged. I gave up on Snyder's Batman after Joker flipped his face upside down.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@ripcurl said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

My bet is because Hickman will have Tony return to the beginning of creation and "Build" the Avengers after they're destroyed or something. Because Tony Stark is the ultimate Engineer/Builder.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ripcurl said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

My bet is because Hickman will have Tony return to the beginning of creation and "Build" the Avengers after they're destroyed or something. Because Tony Stark is the ultimate Engineer/Builder.

That would involve the Avengers dying, which they are too heroic to do. 
    Also because the villains are too dumb to kill people they have captured and know will try and stop them first chance they get. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Decoy Elite said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ripcurl said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

That would involve the Avengers dying, which they are too heroic to do. Also because the villains are too dumb to kill people they have captured and know will try and stop them first chance they get.

Reminds me of Siege.

"HURRY, EVERYONE STOP THE SENTRY. HE'S KILLING EVERYONE."

*Marvel heroes get zapped but no one dies.*

*Loki gets zapped and dies.*

O-o

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @FadeToBlackBolt: At least Kid Loki is suppose to be awesome. 
    Can't wait to read Young Avengers.
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#64  Edited By TDK_1997

My biggest problem with the book is the change of costumes for the members.They just look silly.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#65  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Decoy Elite: Cyclops apparently committed mutant genocide.

Despite killing exactly one person.

Wolverine kills more than that every time he gets drunk.

I just really really wan one of the younger mutants to stand up and go on a total rant about how hypocritical everybody is being

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Decoy Elite said:

@Walzo said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Decoy Elite: Cyclops apparently committed mutant genocide.

Despite killing exactly one person.

Wolverine kills more than that every time he gets drunk.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that he killed tons of people off panel?

That's lovely. So I guess we're gonna ignore Emma and Namor who were shown murderin' the heck out of people on panel. I'm not a big Cyclops fan, but even I think Marvel shouldn't sacrifice the character for cheap drama.

no Cyk never committed genocide, the idea is Cyk will make human/mutant relations so bad that it will end in genocide

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @Jonny_Anonymous: Oh, so they're yelling at him like he's killed so many people even though he only killed one person while under the influence of a space monster. Lovely.
    ONE_EYE_HULK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ONE_EYE_HULK

Really cool blog bro~!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Decoy Elite: basically yea

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By sentryman555

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@TheCerealKillz:

OK, good. No one should like Johns. It's like Nixon being your favourite President for any reason other than hilarity.

I've not read American Vampire, but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt on that.

• Secret Society that has infiltrated all parts of Gotham and uses the city itself as a weapon? Check
    • Secret Society use knowledge of Bruce Wayne's identity to attack him on every level? Check
    • Intend to both mentally and physically break Batman, by employing henchmen who are in many ways a stark parody of Batman himself? Check
    • The leader of this society has a personal connection to the Wayne family? Check
    • Bruce comes to doubt his parents due to the nature of this enigmatic leader? Check
    • The leader of this society is later revealed to be a Wayne family member? Check

All used by Morrison.

I read nothing current. I'll get Waid's Hulk and Morrison's Action Comics once both are available in trade form. I flip through stuff like All New X-Men in the shop, so my opinion remains educated and can adequately destroy it if I come on here and am challenged. I gave up on Snyder's Batman after Joker flipped his face upside down.

How can you say all of Snyder's ideas are ripped off of Morrison if you read nothing current? I personally love Snyder's death of the family arc going on right now and while I loved Morrison's run their were things in it I had a problem with, one of the main ones is how he turned Jason Todd into a two-dimensional villain.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sentryman555

I'm really excited for Uncanny even though I hate the costumes. But I want to see what they do with Cyclops.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @sentryman555 said:

I'm really excited for Uncanny even though I hate the costumes. But I want to see what they do with Cyclops.

They better not play him as a villain. 
    Seriously.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Decoy Elite said:

@sentryman555 said:

They better not play him as a villain. Seriously.

Of course they will.

@sentryman555 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@TheCerealKillz:

All used by Morrison.

How can you say all of Snyder's ideas are ripped off of Morrison if you read nothing current? I personally love Snyder's death of the family arc going on right now and while I loved Morrison's run their were things in it I had a problem with, one of the main ones is how he turned Jason Todd into a two-dimensional villain.

Oh look, someone who enjoys Bendis' X-Men doesn't read all the way through a comment, that's a shock. Refer to the bold. I did read Snyder's Batman.

And Jason Todd was never a two-dimensional villain with Morrison. Morrison gave him far more depth than anyone else. What was Jason before Morrison? He was a anti-hero murderous vigilante. That's literally it. He had no character other than he was mad at Bruce for not killing the Joker, and so he wanted to kill criminals.

What did Morrison do to Jason? He made him an actual character. Jason is mad at Bruce, so what does Jason do? He wants to shame Bruce's ideals. He wants to show that Gotham City does not want a protector that lets villains go free. He takes Batman's legacy (cape and cowl) and corrupts it; parodies it. He makes it a joke; by becoming the Red Hood Jason is mocking Batman, he's emulating his greatest foe. The Joker has become more of a "father" to Jason than Bruce ever was. So Jason takes this warped image of Gotham's crime-fighter and recruits a deformed, psychotic child as his ward. Someone that, funnily enough, a Robin failed to save. Everything Jason did under Morrison's pen was an insult to Batman and everything he stood for, he asked Gothamites to vote on whether or not to kill criminals, not unlike how DC asked readers to vote on whether or not they'd kill Jason. Everything was a parallel, everything he did had purpose. He wasn't just some douche biker with a gun any more. He was an actual threat to Batman, not because he was a villain, but because he showed people just how absurd the entire concept of Batman's style of justice is.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I don't know, All New X-Men is doing a crap job at painting him as a villain and I can see "the twist" being that he's still really a hero. 
    Then again maybe I'm just being hopeful here.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Decoy Elite: I'd say that has more to do with Bendis' ineptitude than anything :P

If they wanted him to be painted as a good guy, he'd have stayed with Emma. Common fiction ideal, you can't be evil if you're in love.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Decoy Elite
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Oh certainly, he's suppose to be kind of a villain but it doesn't seem that way in All New X-Men.  
    Ah, but love can make people evil as shown in various works. :P
    sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By sentryman555

@Decoy Elite said:

@sentryman555 said:

They better not play him as a villain. Seriously.

I'm really hoping they don't. I want to hear more of scott's side of things and his thoughts on how to rebuild. And most of all I want someone to stand up and call how crazy everyone is being towards him.

@FadeToBlackBolt: True. I messed up and jumped the gun but I think your reaching with Jason Todd, or we're just viewing it differently. Morrison's Red Hood felt just like some kid with a temper tantrum. Batman tells him he needs real help, with that hologram he sent him after he died, and Jason takes it as Batman was never there for me, again. So he decided if he can't be batman, which we know he really wanted to be, he tries to prove he's a better batman by one-upping Dick Grayson. I actually like him now and during the countdown to 52 because he wasn't focusing on showing up batman but he was being his own man.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By slimlim

@Walzo: Apologies in advance if i thread similar ground/points brought up by someone else. I skimmed thru the other posts.

Regarding costumes:

Magneto - Yeah, he's kinda ripped and he's flashing his arms (not bare-chested). As for his age... i believe there was a storyline back in the 80s i believe where Magneto was reverted to a child, and then re-aged. If i'm not mistaken it was retconned a while back that he was re-aged but still younger than he should be. As for how age and time works in the Marvel universe, it has always been "flexible" and we are encourage to turn a blind eye to it most times. Another example would be DD "Dummy" Dugan of Shield who was with Fury in WW2 and his age doesnt seem to have changed up either. I read somewhere that they kinda said it could be coz he spent so much time with Fury that the Infinity Formula is "rubbing off on him" which is really stupid if u ask me... As it is, Marvel has always had and will continue to have issues regarding time and age with all their "mortal" characters eventually.

Cyclops - The common complaint is "how does he see out of that thing"? well... we don't actually no for sure what his mask is made of... so we'll just have to wait and see if its explained.

Emma Frost - The White Queen is now the Black Queen. Not the first time she's done that. As for the look of her costume... well she's never been one to conform with how the rest of the Marvel heroes dress...

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Derailed thread was derailed?

Though an interesting conversation.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#80  Edited By xmentas

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Seriously?

The only issue you have with this crap is the outfits?

Not sure if he's saying there's more to complain about or something. But although I agree with your views on the costumes, the fact that you aren't going to read just because of them imo is pretty odd. I'll take character development over costumes anyday.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Those outfits are pretty ugly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.