Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Editorial Decisions - How would you proceed?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

No Caption Provided

You are a major X-Men writer. Editorial wants to shake things up a bit. Here are your instructions.

1. Kill 5 X-Men/X-Related characters. At least one major character. Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Jean Grey are untouchable.
    2. Choose one preexisting b-list X-Villain to be the murderer (make him/her a bad ass).
    3. Choose one to two young X-character (from New Mutants, X-Terminators, Generation X, New Mutants, Hellions) to avenge the murders and propel him/her/them into a larger spotlight in the X-books.
    McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

You are a major X-Men writer. Editorial wants to shake things up a bit. Here are your instructions.

1. Kill 5 X-Men/X-Related characters. At least one major character. Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Jean Grey are untouchable.
    2. Choose one preexisting b-list X-Villain to be the murderer (make him/her a bad ass).
    3. Choose one to two young X-character (from New Mutants, X-Terminators, Generation X, New Mutants, Hellions) to avenge the murders and propel him/her/them into a larger spotlight in the X-books.

Hmmm ok lets do this!

1. How is those untouchable and Cyclops aint? Pfft not really sure how you decided or why you decided those untouchables lol ok who dies, im not sure what you consider major so ill give it a try here.

Havok Dies, Rogue Dies, Magneto Dies, Legion Dies, and finally not sure if shes Major or not but we will take out Danger

2. Who killed them all?! Good Question not sure who you consider a b list character but what about..

Mondo! The old Gen X guy never died did he? The real one not the clone, his power was bad ass in AOA so lets give it to mondo

3. Oh my god the list is so long? Only two thats what makes it hard, who deserves the boost the most Ima go with Gen X because why not, doubt anyone else will

Chamber & Husk (If we do a whole team i want Cannonball, Blink, Warpath, maybe frenzy? i can make a team but lol with just two we will stick to the first i named lol)

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By knighthood
    Villain - X-Cutioner
    Villain - X-Cutioner

Villain - X-Cutioner

Victims - Shaman, Naze, Boom Boom, Doctor Nemesis, Cable

Young Heroes - Rictor, Hollow

I could work out plot points, but this would start becoming more like a fan-fic post and I don't want that to happen. After the events it would appear that Cable & the X-Force would be left with Forge, Domino, Hope, and Colossus. It'd make sense for Rictor and Hollow to join (I'm sure Shatterstar would follow eventually).

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn:

I forgot all about Mondo.

I decided that the editors would think of Wolvie & Storm as cash cows of the franchise. Nightcrawler is just coming back. And everyone is tired of Jean Grey dying.

B-List and Major are open to interpretation.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McKlayn

@mcklayn:

I forgot all about Mondo.

I decided that the editors would think of Wolvie & Storm as cash cows of the franchise. Nightcrawler is just coming back. And everyone is tired of Jean Grey dying.

B-List and Major are open to interpretation.

Everyone forgets about mondo! I loved that character, his power just seemed so freaking awesome to me when i read Gen X, so yea id love to see him pushed, they could make him similar to rockslide how if you knock him apart he can pull himself together, regrow limbs and shit by absorbing more material into his body and get big as hell by absorbing alot (like he did in Gen X) so yea im all for Mondo getting the push! I'd more then likely change his name though lol to something a bit more evil sounding

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By HAWK2916

I'd kill:

Magik, Legion, Magneto, Pixie, Emma Frost, Im sorry I gotta kill Anole too

Empath becomes the bad ass that is responsible

Out of this spins a New Xmen team consisting of: Surge, Hellion, X-23, Dust, Mercury, Rockslide and Loa looking to avenge murders and prevent it from ever happening again.

Also to avenge Magik, Legion and Emma: Cannonball, Dani Moonstar, Sunspot, Monet, Warpath, Magma and Blink form another team as well

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

1. Magneto, Havok, Rogue, Surge and Pixie would be killed.
    2. Mondo would kill them - these mutants would be especially vulnerable to a villain that can take on the properties of whatever substance they touch.
    3. Magma, Chamber, Husk, justice and Aurora would avenge the deaths as a team of unexpected collaborators.
    CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CTG

@knighthood: I'm gonna ignore your exempt list b/c it goes against the entire concept. It's like saying you want hot coffee, but don't use heat to make it.

1. DEAD: Wolverine, Multiple Man, Rogue, Young Cyclops, Young Jean
    2. Villain(s): Assassin's Guild led by Belladonna
    3. Heroes: Dust, Hellion, Quentin Quire, The M-Twins (Nicole & Claudette) and/or Ruby Summers led by... ELIXIR!

Why Wolverine? IMO, if you're going to make new flagship stars, it has to be a big deal behind it. Avenging the unkillable Wolverine is the ideal stage.

This would be a new title, not an arc. Probably "Avenging X-Men" or X-Force Vol. 3

I kinda see it as a coming of age tale for Dust and Hellion - possibly going the Cloak & Dagger route. At odds with the Assassin's Guild, Hellion comes more aware of his own mortality especially after The Guild takes out who they take out. This leads to him learning more about faith from Dust.

As for Elixir, he experienced a lot of dark events in the initial run of X-Force and going after a guild of assassins is a great parallel to explore with him. I feel like his time w/ X-Force made it emparitive for him to grow up quickly and the needs to be explored. He will also be the driving force behind Quentin Quire maturing and becoming the man he's going to be.

I'd also have to throw in several reoccuring veterans b/c it's just not believable that a group of young guns could take out such a villain(s) who killed a major character(s). They would be

• Gambit - there'd be an arc where the theme of being taken over by a dark presence and he helps Elixir deal with his other side
    • Psylocke - arc theme would be killing and what it does to your soul
    • Cyclops - theme would be life and how the choices you make can affect it

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By knighthood

@ctg said:

@knighthood: I'm gonna ignore your exempt list b/c it goes against the entire concept. It's like saying you want hot coffee, but don't use heat to make it.

So "F" editorial decisions, heh? Good luck Morrison.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think Wolverine should be killed or lose his healing factor or anything like that. I wish he would get his edge back instead this current p**sy we have now that kills kids but doesnt want them fighting. That being said I also want to kill beast

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

Kill: Storm, Mercury, Multiple Man, Polaris, Husk, Gambit, Transonic, Cypher, Magma, X-23, Scarlet Witch

The Perp: Eileen Harsaw, formerly known as Phantazia; a former mutant whose discrimination from both humans mutants alike led her down a dark path of murder and revenge, culminating in the murder of the woman who started all of her problems: The Scarlet Witch.

Props: A bunch of them; making room for better graduates by getting rid of the floatsam

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ctg said:

So "F" editorial decisions, heh? Good luck Morrison.

Exactly. You want to shake things up... but not kill anyone that would really shake things up? At this point there are only a handful of characters that could die and actually matter and Wolverine is at the top of that list with Storm and Cyclops right behind them. Sorry but if the majority of the characters people are naming ended up dying, it wouldn't mean anything.

Boom Boom? Naze?Pixie? Anole? Really? I'm supposed to care if any of them die? I'm a fan of Pixie, but I'm gonna care for about 10 seconds if she ended up dead.

And as someone else said, how do you make Wolverine and the others you named untouchable and not Cyclops or Kitty Pryde? They're as popular - if not moreso - than everyone on your list besides Wolverine. It's clear you picked your favorites - so yes, I ignored your list because "editorially" it makes no sense.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emma frost or beast or magneto wouldnt be a big deal?

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kill: Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Cable, Beast, Emma Frost

Villain: Mikhail Rasputin

Young'ns: Monet, Meggan

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ctg said:

And as someone else said, how do you make Wolverine and the others you named untouchable and not Cyclops or Kitty Pryde? They're as popular - if not moreso - than everyone on your list besides Wolverine. It's clear you picked your favorites - so yes, I ignored your list because "editorially" it makes no sense.

I think Cable and Magneto are solid choices for victims. The whole idea of the post is work within the limitation that a real writer has to work within. No writer is going to waltz into the Marvel offices and have a green light to kill anyone they wish. I've already explained my choices, and yes Cyclops & Kitty are just as popular. Personally I'd hate the person that killed off Kitty, so no, I didn't pick favorites. Rogue is also a big name no one is mentioning. But if I included all those names then that would limit too many options. Grant Morrison is the only writer I've seen do whatever he wants against editorial wishes. How did that end, oh that's right, Xorn was Magneto the whole time.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Perp: Eileen Harsaw, formerly known as Phantazia; a former mutant whose discrimination from both humans mutants alike led her down a dark path of murder and revenge, culminating in the murder of the woman who started all of her problems: The Scarlet Witch.

That'd be really interesting. Once again another character I had forgotten about.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@ctg said:

I wouldn't say they make no sense. Knighthood's picks may be a little arbitrary, but if you consider that both Nightcrawler and Jean have already recently spent a lot of time dead, and that Wolverine should be one of the hardest characters to kill (and is probably the most popular character), then really only Storm seems completely arbitrary, and only compared to other characters like you have. I don't really know how much effect killing her would really have, other than moving Kitty or someone up into her role. Any character that gets killed is going to effect some other character(s), but very few would genuinely make much impact overall.

Honestly, if the point of killing any characters is to really shake up the status quo, there aren't really a lot of options. After having so many characters die (/die and come back), and with Xavier dead, the only deaths that seem like they would have a significant impact would be Cyclops, Emma (for how it would effect Cyclops), or maybe one of the time displaced X-men from the past. I don't think there's virtually anyone else you could kill that would have as much effect.

If Cyclops died, I can imagine it would cause a lot of the classic characters to re-evaluate his legacy, and for some established characters, maybe even some who wouldn't follow him currently, to take up his mission. Just about anyone else taking up Cyclops' role could be a big change. For example, I can't really picture Cannonball joining Cyclops' current team, but I could see him rebuilding it to take his place. And the characters who would follow Cannonball as opposed to Cyclops would actually change the status quo. Actually, I could see something similar happening if Cable died, as he was Cannonball's mentor for so long, but that seems like it would have less impact on the general state of things.

And, like I say, because of Cyclops' singular role in things, Emma's death would probably have some profound impact on things, again, most likely leading him to really re-evaluate his position. I mean, at this point, is there any character who's death would have as much impact on him? He's already lost teammates, students, his own son, both of his wives, and he just recently killed Xavier. If Emma's death wouldn't fundamentally effect him, I don't know who's would. Maybe one of the time displaced X-men? maybe?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HAWK2916

@ctg said:

I wouldn't say they make no sense. Knighthood's picks may be a little arbitrary, but if you consider that both Nightcrawler and Jean have already recently spent a lot of time dead, and that Wolverine should be one of the hardest characters to kill (and is probably the most popular character), then really only Storm seems completely arbitrary, and only compared to other characters like you have. I don't really know how much effect killing her would really have, other than moving Kitty or someone up into her role. Any character that gets killed is going to effect some other character(s), but very few would genuinely make much impact overall.

Honestly, if the point of killing any characters is to really shake up the status quo, there aren't really a lot of options. After having so many characters die (/die and come back), and with Xavier dead, the only deaths that seem like they would have a significant impact would be Cyclops, Emma (for how it would effect Cyclops), or maybe one of the time displaced X-men from the past. I don't think there's virtually anyone else you could kill that would have as much effect.

If Cyclops died, I can imagine it would cause a lot of the classic characters to re-evaluate his legacy, and for some established characters, maybe even some who wouldn't follow him currently, to take up his mission. Just about anyone else taking up Cyclops' role could be a big change. For example, I can't really picture Cannonball joining Cyclops' current team, but I could see him rebuilding it to take his place. And the characters who would follow Cannonball as opposed to Cyclops would actually change the status quo. Actually, I could see something similar happening if Cable died, as he was Cannonball's mentor for so long, but that seems like it would have less impact on the general state of things.

And, like I say, because of Cyclops' singular role in things, Emma's death would probably have some profound impact on things, again, most likely leading him to really re-evaluate his position. I mean, at this point, is there any character who's death would have as much impact on him? He's already lost teammates, students, his own son, both of his wives, and he just recently killed Xavier. If Emma's death wouldn't fundamentally effect him, I don't know who's would. Maybe one of the time displaced X-men? maybe?

This is exactly why I mentioned Emma. As much as I like her. She's been regulated to just being Scott's girlfriend and has become a stagnant character. Her death would be a huge event and would really be impactful. It could really push forward this so-called revolution, it would definitely do something with Scott's development and think of her former students.

I think Magik's death would be big as well. And imagine how the world would see Cyclops if Legion came for him to avenge his father and they go at it and Legion somehow dies at his hands. Beast death would be big too since he's one of the original 5 and it would leave Cyclops and Iceman (who knows whats going on with this new Angel) as the only ones left and probably cause quite a few current Xmen to reevaluate the endgame involved with being involved with an X-team, school etc.

In fact I think a huge event or story arc would be to have a real Massacre like what happened to the Morlocks. I would kill off quite a few of the stupid characters that we have in WATX but also others that would be truly impactful and who's death would shake things up in the sense of how characters handle it going forward. Here's my massacre list:

Emma Frost, Beast, Magik, Legion, Multiple Man, Scarlet Witch, Pixie, Cecelia Reyes, Strong Guy, Dr. Nemesis, Anole, Another of the Cuckoos, Transonic, Cypher, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Glob Herman, Sharkgirl, Eye Boy, Martha Johannsen, No-Girl, Velocidad

That would be huge as far as shaking things up. I know its kind of sickening but it would be impactful especially if you were looking to establish a villain. If some villain was responsible for all those deaths it would make that villain the Xmen's toughest, most ruthless ever. IMO it also gets rid of some characters who have been written badly, poorly developed, just a joke or with redundant powers. It pears down the teams and would set up huge stories for the surviving characters and their development though it would hurt because several of my favorites are on this list.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Characters I would murderball: Beast (Mega hyprocrite) Magneto (Ultimate Douche) Iceman (Knock off spiderman)...hrm...having trouble with the last two.

B-list Villain that did the deed: Mikhail Rasputin.

Young X-man to avenge them: Goldballs.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry: Goldballs?!?! I don't think he could avenge an ant hill.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry: Goldballs?!?! I don't think he could avenge an ant hill.

I must be the only person in the world that kind of likes Gold balls, his power has potential what exactly are the balls made of? Not pure gold they said, could they hurt? Doesn't seem much but maybe that will change? Hes very new, very fresh, im excited to see where he goes I like him and his power & Personality a lot more then the shape shifter guy, or Eye boy, or even Shark Girl.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I like Eyeboy's potential with a pair of guns.

No Caption Provided

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archangel dies, Nate grey dies, Emma Frost dies, Hepzibah dies and Marrow dies.

Shadow King is to blame. He is my favorite villain and is allready a badass.

Martha Johanson gets a real body and together with Quentin Quire and Psylocke beat the Shadowking

That'd be interesting. Whose body would No-Girl claim? A psychic "Johansson" Marrow could be bad ass.

No Caption Provided

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why to kill Archangel? Isn't that interesting what happens to him and what will he become?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westfriesianman said:

Martha Johanson gets a real body and together with Quentin Quire and Psylocke beat the Shadowking

That'd be interesting. Whose body would No-Girl claim? A psychic "Johansson" Marrow could be bad ass.

at first I was like, oh, man, that would be bad ass! but, then I remembered the only thing I liked about Marrow was her personality.

What I think would be cool is if Shadow King was operating out of one of the clone bodies of the Marauders (Sabretooth would make sense, since he'd have to spend less time worrying about it getting hurt when he was on the astral plane), and Martha just took over that body upon his defeat.

Actually, there's a lot of reasons why her having Sabretooth's body could be really interesting.. obviously there's the themes of body and sexual identity to be explored (adding another meaning to the name No-girl), not to mention the feelings that the X-men would have about being in the physical presence of Sabertooth's body. Would she try to use her powers to create the illusion that she was a teenage girl again, or would she just learn how to roll with it? I also like that Sabretooth's powers are just generic enough to not distract from her actual powers, but generally useful enough to give her a reason to train with the other students and thus be given a little more spotlight.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archangel is already dead. He died in Dark Angel Saga.

I would kill: Beast, Rogue, Havok, Scarlet Witch and Nu-Angel(Give me Warren back already)

The Villain: Proteus

Two young Mutants: I don't know how they would pull it off but, Elixir and Surge

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood said:

@westfriesianman said:

at first I was like, oh, man, that would be bad ass! but, then I remembered the only thing I liked about Marrow was her personality.

What I think would be cool is if Shadow King was operating out of one of the clone bodies of the Marauders (Sabretooth would make sense, since he'd have to spend less time worrying about it getting hurt when he was on the astral plane), and Martha just took over that body upon his defeat.

Actually, there's a lot of reasons why her having Sabretooth's body could be really interesting.. obviously there's the themes of body and sexual identity to be explored (adding another meaning to the name No-girl), not to mention the feelings that the X-men would have about being in the physical presence of Sabertooth's body. Would she try to use her powers to create the illusion that she was a teenage girl again, or would she just learn how to roll with it? I also like that Sabretooth's powers are just generic enough to not distract from her actual powers, but generally useful enough to give her a reason to train with the other students and thus be given a little more spotlight.

That's it. Marrow is just her crazy personality. I was hoping No-Girl personality would be such drastic change that it'd be clear that it was a different character. But honestly that Sabretooth clone "No-Girl" idea would be very entertaining.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

• Kill 5 X-Men/X-Related characters. Rogue, Cyclops, Emma, Colossus, Magneto
    • Choose one preexisting b-list X-Villain to be the murderer (make him/her a bad ass); Omega Red
    • Choose one to two young X-character (from New Mutants, X-Terminators, Generation X, New Mutants, Hellions) to avenge the murders and propel him/her/them into a larger spotlight in the X-books; Hellion and Wither

It's then revealed that Rogue, Cyke, Emma and Wolverine are all clones with massive mental defects created by Mister Sinister. The originals show up (how they were before 500, Wolverine taken back to how he was before HoM, with all of the "Origin" stuff being revealed as a trick employed by Arcade) and defeat Sinister. Magneto creates a new Brotherhood after trying to hit on Rogue and being rebuffed because he's an idiotic, genocidal old man.

AvX was actually the result of every single person in the MU being mentally reduced to the age of 6, because Franklin Richards accidentally found a joint and smoked it. The resulting rifts in reality caused by his trip-out created all of the crap that's been happening in Marvel.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's it. Marrow is just her crazy personality. I was hoping No-Girl personality would be such drastic change that it'd be clear that it was a different character. But honestly that Sabretooth clone "No-Girl" idea would be very entertaining.

Yeah.. the more I think about it, the more cool things I think of that could be done with it.. I've always liked the idea of Martha as a female character who couldn't be judged by her appearance, but with virtually no physical presence, I can see why it's hard to do a lot with that. This way, you really could make her a main character of a book, a strong female character with a distinct perspective and voice; I'd read it.

AvX was actually the result of every single person in the MU being mentally reduced to the age of 6, because Franklin Richards accidentally found a joint and smoked it. The resulting rifts in reality caused by his trip-out created all of the crap that's been happening in Marvel.

I think I'd rather have some of what he's smoking than have all of the X-men return to the status quo of eight years ago.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the better idea for no-girl would be for her to be in marrows body or maybe in the body another jean grey/maddie pryor clone. Another thought is that now since Husk is gone crazy maybe she could join their minds together. Husk with the abilities of a psychic wouldnt be too bad and theres always Karima Shapander

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'd rather have some of what he's smoking than have all of the X-men return to the status quo of eight years ago.

8 years ago? Are you referring to Whedon's Astonishing run or something else?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No-girl taking over Auroras mind wouldnt be bad either

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 years ago? Are you referring to Whedon's Astonishing run or something else?

he mentioned that it would make major retcons as far back as before HoM, which I figured was for House of M (2005)..

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler I thought you might be referring to a special run or era that I wasn't hip to. I really wasn't reading during that time. March 2005 looks like this...

X-23, Astonishing, and X-Men are the only titles that look interesting. I've also heard good things about New X-Men.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An even fuether idea for no-girl would be for Hope to lose it and start down rhe path that resulted in Bishops reality. In order to stop it Martha takes over and now Hope/Martha is a powerful telepath and telekinetic

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: there were a few other decent stories going on (I forget which stories were in which books right now); but overall, yeah, Astonishing X-Men was by far the best, probably followed by New X-Men...

BUT, my point was more that I'd rather see the stories and characters move foreword than just reset to some idealized status quo; even if it was to a time I was especially fond of (and 2005 was an alright year, all things considered), I think I'd feel the same.

(and that I'd love to smoke whatever's in Mr.Fantastic's pipe ;)

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Gotcha, even though I really am enjoying the idealized status quo at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.