X-Books Must Reads

#1 Edited by Spaced_Boy (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm picking up 4 X-titles All new, Uncanny X-men, X-factor, Wolverine And the X-men plus Uncanny Avengers. I feel these to be the essential books and love them all. Thinking I may pick up another 1 or 2 titles though. I dropped uncanny x-force after remenders run which was brilliant but was unsure about the line up. Do any of the other books add anything important to the overall x-universe?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by Spaced_Boy (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Yeah i was thinking about x-men, i'm in a toss up between that uncanny x-force & Cable + X-force. I'm wondering which one is the best quality and links best with the other books i'm picking up.

#4 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@spaced_boy: X-Men starts next month.

X-men, by Brian Wood and Olivier Coipel (he did Uncanny Avengers #5, most recently). It's the return of Storm leading the team, and if those three things aren't enough to interest you, well, I dunno what, actually.

#5 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio

@spaced_boy: Well I'm sure there'll be someone on here who'll be able to help. I don't know though, as I'm not really an X-reader.

Welcome to Comicvine by the way. :)

#6 Posted by Spaced_Boy (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Cheers :) yeah x-men looks like it may beat the other two. Jubilee and Psylocke are a void in my reading at the moment plus the creative team is great.

#7 Posted by McKlayn (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

X-men For sure, uh im not big on Astonishing and of the two X force's id say Cable & is my favorite (the other one i actually love the line up for but it's just not tickled my fancy yet im still hoping though) so if i had to say two to your collection it would be those

Xmen / Cable & X Force

#8 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@spaced_boy:

X-Men Legacy has been... interesting to say the least. It's a cool point of view and a different take on how the mutant world is viewed. Legion has been really interesting to read. But the art has been horrendous.

#9 Posted by McKlayn (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: totally agree with legacy, god i hate the artist

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@papad1992: totally agree with legacy, god i hate the artist

I agree that the art isn't the reason to read this book; unfortunately, it's sometimes the reason not to. Or at least not to bother.

it's a shame really, because this book really does have something actually different going for it. It would be nice to see some artists working on it who really brought something different to the table to match that. I think JH Williams III would be a great fit, for example, or something really unexpected like Raphael Grampa or something.

#11 Edited by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@spaced_boy:

X-Men Legacy has been... interesting to say the least. It's a cool point of view and a different take on how the mutant world is viewed. Legion has been really interesting to read. But the art has been horrendous.

Sad to say, after 7 issues, I dropped it because of the art :\ The fill in artist wasn't bad though. The direction of the book is certainly eccentric, which isn't bad, but it takes me awhile to shallow what's going on. Though, I still prefer this over Gage's endgame Rogue stories, which (I'm going to say it) I thought it was god-awful.

@spaced_boy:

If you want books that add to the X-Verse, it has to be: Uncanny Avengers (which is getting better after the first arc), All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men (which are surprisingly good IMO), Brian Wood's X-Men looks really cool, so I guess that might be an option?

The X-Forces have fallen flat after Remender's cressendo of awesomeness, which I completely agree with you,

X-Factor is CONSISTENT. It's been sitting in a corner for a long time, and the last jumping on point is like, 224.1

X-Men Legacy (read the first half of my post)

Astonishing X-Men, X-Treme, AoA are having that event, and I stay clear of the three books, so no comments.

@spaced_boy:

Well, Uncanny X-Force has stunning art, better than Cable and X-Force IMO, but Uncanny X-Force has weird pacing. They spent 4 issues fleshing out something that could have been two issues. I don't like either books, but IMO I think UXF is a better book. End of the days, just buy the book with characters you want to read, right?

#12 Edited by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@papad1992 said:

@spaced_boy:

Sad to say, after 7 issues, I dropped it because of the art :\ The fill in artist wasn't bad though. The direction of the book is certainly eccentric, which isn't bad, but it takes me awhile to shallow what's going on. Though, I still prefer this over Gage's endgame Rogue stories, which (I'm going to say it) I thought it was god-awful.

I just dropped it too... I just REALLY can't stand the art. I mean, did you see the way Pixie was drawn in the last issue or so, it was so disgusting. And the way Blindfold is being drawn is equally disgusting. The art alone is a reason to drop this book. Marvel should take that comment to heart and react fast.

#13 Edited by Spaced_Boy (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah legacy just does not interest me at all for some reason. I think i will pick up uncanny x-force and X-men for sure. I read uncanny x-force issue one and loved it straight away. Cable X-force is the only one i'm not sure on now really. But i do love Cable so it might have to make it on the list. That will be 8 x titles my word luckily uncanny x-force and x-men are looking to be monthly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.