Would you want to see a Dead X-Men Team?

#1 Edited by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

Lately I've been seeing a lot of fan art of Nightcrawler and some with Banshee and it got me thinking... what if the deceased X-Men characters formed a team in the underworld or Limbo or wherever? Think about all of the characters that could have another chance at shinning. I was also thinking that they would form to combat the new Lord of Hell, Guido (Strong Guy). With only a few issues left before X-Factor's cancellation, Strong Guy is still the Lord of Hell... so with his position, it created an opposition to what I was thinking. So here's a list of deceased X-characters (mainly the ones of higher importance):

Nightcrawler, Changeling, Petra, Sway, Banshee, Thunderbird, Revanche, Maggott, Gateway, Diamond Lil, Onyxx, Icarus, Wallflower, Wolf Cub, Feral, Bedlam, Skin, Synch, Rusty Collins (Firefist), Wild Child, Mondo, Basilisk, Wither, Quill, Esme Cuckoo, Sophie Cuckoo, Squid Boy

*Feral (she had her mutated appearance though) was killed after she was depowered.

My team would be:

Nightcrawler (as leader)

Thunderbird

Sway

Petra

Diamond Lil

Wolf Cub

Quill

Icarus

#2 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I think I'd be more interested in reading a book set in a different reality where, for example, Xavier, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Moira, Banshee, M, Skin, Icarus, and a few others were for some reason among some of the only X-men to have survived.

This would be a cool way to bring those characters back into distinct roles in new stories without negating the cool story effects that their deaths had on the regular continuity.

#3 Edited by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure. You could come up with a pretty decent roster made up of currently dead x-men.

#4 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg lol. When did Maggot die ?

#5 Edited by DarkDay (502 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I think I'd rather see them as an Exiles team, but then I'm biased since I love Exiles. Honestly though I think the concept while cool is a little too "magic" don't get me wrong, I realize that the X-Men run into magic and that they even have characters such as Magik but to me that is always sort of a "sometimes food" where X stories are concerned and I think it would be a little hard to write such constantly for an X-Men team and have any longevity to it.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkday said:

Personally I think I'd rather see them as an Exiles team, but then I'm biased sense I love Exiles. Honestly though I think the concept while cool is a little too "magic" don't get me wrong, I realize that the X-Men run into magic and that they even have characters such as Magik but to me that is always sort of a "sometimes food" where X stories are concerned and I think it would be a little hard to write such constantly for an X-Men team and have any longevity to it.

pretty much this.

I like that the X-men dabble in this kind of story, but I'd hate it as a premise.

#7 Posted by poisonfleur (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg-- If Jean comes back, her team should be of the dead:
Leader: Jean
Banshee
Nightcrawler
Pyro
Revanche
+Rachel (I know she isn't dead-- But Jean and Rachel need to spend time together.)

#8 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkday said:

Personally I think I'd rather see them as an Exiles team, but then I'm biased sense I love Exiles. Honestly though I think the concept while cool is a little too "magic" don't get me wrong, I realize that the X-Men run into magic and that they even have characters such as Magik but to me that is always sort of a "sometimes food" where X stories are concerned and I think it would be a little hard to write such constantly for an X-Men team and have any longevity to it.

pretty much this.

I like that the X-men dabble in this kind of story, but I'd hate it as a premise.

A limited series then! A fight for revival!?

#9 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg lol. When did Maggot die ?

Apparently he died during that Neverland camp garbage!

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@darkday said:

pretty much this.

A limited series then! A fight for revival!?

I could be interested in the premise as a mini series.

#11 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992:

Not fair. Both he and Marrow were the best parts of the late 90s era. Miss them both.

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992:

Not fair. Both he and Marrow were the best parts of the late 90s era. Miss them both.

Well what is inconsistent is how they made Cecilia Reyes "dead" in the Neverland camp as well, but suddenly she reappears in NYX all good with no explanation! ARGH!! And Marrow was rising through the ranks in X-Men becoming a pretty prominent member, then all of a sudden POOF she disappears. But to get back on point, the whole Neverland camp concept and story was completely unnecessary!

*Maggott even showed up as a resurrected Selene-pawn in Necrosha fully garbed in a costume he hasn't worn since he left the X-Men. Inconsistencies!

#13 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: @ageofhurricane: Marrow was X-23 before there was an X-23. It was also kinda nice to "get" something out the morlocks, I mean they've only been around since '83, I wasnt digging on Callisto and her naughty tentacles either.

#14 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: @ageofhurricane: Marrow was X-23 before there was an X-23. It was also kinda nice to "get" something out the morlocks, I mean they've only been around since '83, I wasnt digging on Callisto and her naughty tentacles either.

I really liked Marrow that way, as a connection to the Morlocks. I really dug the era of X-men when Calisto and Caliban were around a lot (around the time of the Mutant Massacre), and she brought out some long overdue character in Storm because of that connection. She also seemed to replace Jubilee's role in the book, at first, but it seemed like she was never written consistently enough to really stick.

#15 Edited by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

I really liked Marrow that way, as a connection to the Morlocks. I really dug the era of X-men when Calisto and Caliban were around a lot (around the time of the Mutant Massacre), and she brought out some long overdue character in Storm because of that connection. She also seemed to replace Jubilee's role in the book, at first, but it seemed like she was never written consistently enough to really stick.

Until Marrow disappeared into obscurity (then later depowered), Callisto lost her powers, and Caliban was shot and killed! There goes the last connections to the Morlocks.

Seriously it's like they don't even exist anymore! And don't even get me started on Skids!

#16 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992:

Marrow was tolerable.

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57751 posts) - - Show Bio

How can you not have Dead Girl?
BB

#18 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

Until Marrow disappeared into obscurity (then later depowered), Callisto lost her powers, and Caliban was shot and killed! There goes the last connections to the Morlocks.

Seriously it's like they don't even exist anymore! And don't even get me started on Skids!

I think they thought the idea of Mutant Town (the mutant ghetto that X-factor lived in, and eventually where Marrow and others ended up) was a more believable concept for what was sort of the same idea. I think they really could/should explore that idea more.

#19 Edited by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

I think they thought the idea of Mutant Town (the mutant ghetto that X-factor lived in, and eventually where Marrow and others ended up) was a more believable concept for what was sort of the same idea. I think they really could/should explore that idea more.

Agreed...

#20 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@papad1992 said:

Agreed...

I also agree. Some key members of the Morlocks e.g. Erg, became members of the 198 camp post M-Day, right? They then went back down to live in the sewers, lead by Masque, as seen in the Extremists arc in Uncanny in 2007, just before Messiah Complex. Have they been seen since?

Where is Marrow at the moment?

I'd also like to add that I really don't like Skids.

#21 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

I also agree. Some key members of the Morlocks e.g. Erg, became members of the 198 camp post M-Day, right? They then went back down to live in the sewers, lead by Masque, as seen in the Extremists arc in Uncanny in 2007, just before Messiah Complex. Have they been seen since?

Where is Marrow at the moment?

I'd also like to add that I really don't like Skids.

Basically the Extremists arc was the last time we see those characters (as a threat), other than seeing Erg, Bliss, and Litterbug on Utopia for little cameos and one-liners!

Marrow disappeared after her little stint in X-Factor with Callisto.

And Skids... what's wrong with her!? She was working with SHIELD last time we saw her in the Extremists arc.

#22 Edited by PowerHerc (81566 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if I could pick the roster.

#23 Posted by HAWK2916 (1585 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this would be an interesting concept. Especially if you set in the Asgardian Valhalla realm and if as someone mentioned earlier it could be a quest for revival. My team would be: Jean Grey, Petra, Sway, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Rusty Collins.

#24 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

I think this would be an interesting concept. Especially if you set in the Asgardian Valhalla realm and if as someone mentioned earlier it could be a quest for revival. My team would be: Jean Grey, Petra, Sway, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Rusty Collins.

good team; I really like the idea of Nightcrawler finding himself dead in Valhalla, I think even that alone would make a cool story.

#25 Edited by HAWK2916 (1585 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah talk about a shock

I think this would be an idea Marvel should pursue as opposed to retconning everybody's death

#26 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

yeah talk about a shock

I think this would be an idea Marvel should pursue as opposed to retconning everybody's death

yeah, I think Marvel's probably too sensitive to really pushing the boundaries with religion, especially Christianity. I sometimes wonder if them, say, killing off Nightcrawler, or generally not getting very deep into the religious beliefs of their characters, isn't just to get away from stepping on the toes of their more religious readers.

It's a tricky thing, because the characters themselves represent a mythology that interacts with several other mythologies, including Christianity, but many of the stories are based on science fiction themes, meaning that a belief in science, and by extension, evolution, is part of appreciating the stories. But, apparently, the marvel universe was created by intelligent design, despite that idea flying completely in the face of what science has already established.

Still, Nightcrawler in Valhalla, that I would read.

#27 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Maggott (Still waiting for a story to make this guy remotely likeable.)

Cypher and Warlock (C'mon, theyre in Limbo. thats as good as death)

U-Go Girl, Mr. Sensitive, Anarchist.

Jean Grey.

These are my favourite dead characters.

Sad all X-Statix characters had to die in the end.

#28 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

A zombie like or undead Bsnshee is in the current Uncanny Avengers story.

#29 Edited by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

People actually like those X-Static character!?!? Astounding...

#30 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

I didn't read a lot of the later X-statics stuff, but I loved the early stuff when they took over X-force. U-go girl, Anarchist, and Orphan were great, and I still love Doop.

#31 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

What you'll find is that they've got quite the loyal fan-base, as obscure as they may be.

#32 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@papad1992 said:

@tomchu said:

What you'll find is that they've got quite the loyal fan-base, as obscure as they may be.

X-statics/X-force was one of the early books to really represent a certain paradigm shift within the genre. A post modern sense of self awareness and absurdity that I think it shares with books like NEXT Wave, Cassanova, Umbrella Academy, and elements of Alan Moore's Top10, among many others. Certainly it was one of the first of such books to get such mainstream recognition.

#33 Posted by BaBaBoom (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I would wanna see Icarus and Wallflower in a team of dead X-men. After not seeing them in Necrosha, I theorize that they may be actually still alive.

#34 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@bababoom said:

I would wanna see Icarus and Wallflower in a team of dead X-men. After not seeing them in Necrosha, I theorize that they may be actually still alive.

How could they be alive? They were both shot in the head and buried.

#35 Edited by BaBaBoom (274 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@papad1992 said:

@tomchu said:

X-statics/X-force was one of the early books to really represent a certain paradigm shift within the genre. A post modern sense of self awareness and absurdity that I think it shares with books like NEXT Wave, Cassanova, Umbrella Academy, and elements of Alan Moore's Top10, among many others. Certainly it was one of the first of such books to get such mainstream recognition.

Yes that's fine and all... but did they have to slap an "X" on them? I personally did not like X-Static, but I support obscure characters! :P

#37 Edited by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.