Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Would you read a Professor X book?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Poll Would you read a Professor X book? (27 votes)

Yes 67%
    No 33%

If Professors X comes back any time soon would you want to read a book about him? If yes what would you want it to be like?

I would only like it if Xavier was still able to walk. I think it would be really cool if the new direction for Xavier was him getting into politics. He could try to get into congress and eventually maybe the white house. I think he would be able to do a ton of good for mutants and would also be put into some situations where his morality/ethics would be super challenged when he could just use his powers. I would also want him to do some butt kicking from time to time maybe from assassination attempts or something more covert he looks into on his own.

• 
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I read the first volume of X-Men Legacy so Yea sure...same thing

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A Professor X book by Cullen Bunn set in the past = YES!

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EC2277

For me the issue is the story: if there was a strong story to tell (for example his run for the election like Senator), yes i might read it. But I think it might work only if it is a miniseries, non an ongoing series.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@ec2277 said:

For me the issue is the story: if there was a strong story to tell (for example his run for the election like Senator), yes i might read it. But I think it might work only if it is a miniseries, non an ongoing series.

I think if it was written really smart like the way House of Cards is it could work extremely well in the long term. I think it's just more of an issue of how many super hero comic fans would be into a political thriller style story.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By AgeofHurricane

His story has been told ad nauseum, replete with a repertoire of egregious retcons and needless vilification and I think it's time to move on and focus on his actual legacy. Why are fans so insistent on living in the past?

Also, a great deal of Claremont's New Mutants read like a tedious Xavier-solo, so, again, no thanks. Even if the story was proper good.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EC2277
    @teerack said:

I think if it was written really smart like the way House of Cards is it could work extremely well in the long term. I think it's just more of an issue of how many super hero comic fans would be into a political thriller style story.

Exactly what I think. In my opinion the character is very suitable for this kind of story. Or better still I think it is his natural bent, instead to be the operative leader of X-Men like he was used by the writers of nineties.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Also, a great deal of Claremont's New Mutants read like a tedious Xavier-solo, so, again, no thanks. Even if the story was proper good.

What, like 6 issues??

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane said:

What, like 6 issues??

Pfft. It was a lot more than 6 issues, mate.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

if it was well-written

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

@ageofhurricane said:

What, like 6 issues??

Pfft. It was a lot more than 6 issues, mate.

Naw. There was the Legion arc and the story with Cloak and Dagger that that heavily featured Professor X. Most other stories either had the New Mutants out on their own due to something screwy happening and eventually Professor X left to outer space. I think you should go back and read that series again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Pfft. I just did!!! Those particular arcs notwithstanding, are we so quickly forgetting the pages upon pages dedicated to Charles' repetitive soliloquies of the wary soul? I mean, Magma and Karma, despite being the veritable founding members in comparison to later additions, did not receive as much expositional coverage as Charles did, and that really rubbed me the wrong way since it was all belabored waffle.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Pfft. I just did!!! Those particular arcs notwithstanding, are we so quickly forgetting the pages upon pages dedicated to Charles' repetitive soliloquies of the wary soul? I mean, Magma and Karma, despite being the veritable founding members in comparison to later additions, did not receive as much expositional coverage as Charles did, and that really rubbed me the wrong way since it was all belabored waffle.

I don't remember that happening that often, I will however take your word for it. I have probably read original, Claremont New Mutants more than any other Marvel series because it's my favorite, though, it's been a while since the last time.....I honestly don't remember a whole lot of Xavier in those books, not anymore than his appearances in X-Men proper.

Admittedly I think the stuff with Xavier was well deserved and necessary. In the pages of the X-Men, Xavier is humanized and is developed to feel more like an actual character than an archetype, which is what he started out as, however, he can't escape the hallmark of being the X-Mens mentor, but it can't help but be apparent that a lot of the X-Men didn't need any mentoring anymore, or teaching for that matter... he outgrew his role and became obsolete unfortunately, the New Mutants books helped Xavier have purpose again, he was a teacher and a mentor and was an intrinsic part of the story and the New Mutants growth and development. I often found his internal monologue on the New Mutants themselves, their powers, and the situations they faced quite interesting, that's just me I guess.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes he is the one true leader of the x-men

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would give it a try. He is and will always the cornerstone of the X-Men. Without him the others would be nothing and the X-Men wouldn't exist. No matter how hard people try to pull him through the dirt I will still always remember him fondly

No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Its already sort of been done. But sure as long as they don't continue vilifying him. I like the political thriller edge. Maybe he could run Genosha or take over Madripoor or even put him space seeking to take over the Shiar empire. Give him a small strike force maybe consisting of characters like Bishop. Amelia Voght. Sage and maybe two or three others

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No for the specific reason that Marvel has gone to great lengths to destroy him and make it look like the dream is a failure.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

No for the specific reason that Marvel has gone to great lengths to destroy him and make it look like the dream is a failure.

wow harsh

i still stand by my responce

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: I like the idea of Prof X running Genosha. I would like to see him working with a team to improve everyday life for all people, not just fighting supervillains.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Nope

rodrigomonsalv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@koays said:

I read the first volume of X-Men Legacy so Yea sure...same thing

Prof.X going all Falcon and hangin' out in the desert with Gambit? oh hell yeah.

A Professor X book by Cullen Bunn set in the past = YES!

oh hell yes again!

haha! no..

..he's like their worst leader! -but, like, still one of the most interesting characters.

well, you're saying that like he wasn't one of the founding members himself. certainly more than Magma at least..

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure at this point I want him to come back, but all in all it's a yes to me. He's a very complex character, all those aspects that some consider him being vilified I find absolutely stunning nuances that happen to be parts for one very difficult path of one very influential man who by willing to do only good sometimes had misstepped and soundly broke even his own rules, which seems to be inevitable for all great leaders and that's the tragedy of our existence. Really reflective, really tragic, absolutely awesome. Another "more than just a comic book" X-character for me...

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.