would x-men be as popular without wolverine?

#1 Posted by RonSiconolfi (521 posts) - - Show Bio

say all these years wolverine never joined the x-men - I think wolverine is a fan fav and is the key ingredient to the x-men's popularity.

#2 Posted by Xwraith (19295 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone else would have become the most popular.

#3 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

no, not even close. as for who wouldve been moderately close to his popularity: nightcrawler, colossus.

#4 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men are popular cause of Claremont.

#5 Posted by IrishX (2415 posts) - - Show Bio

say all these years wolverine never joined the x-men - I think wolverine is a fan fav and is the key ingredient to the x-men's popularity.

I am a very big Wolverine fan and I can say that no one character is bigger than the team. In my opinion the key ingredient to the success of the X-Men franchise is actually the mutant origin. The idea that you can just simply be born with powers instead of having to be in a scientific accident makes it much more possible in a readers mind that they too could get powers.

Most people like myself who are Wolverine fans also are fans of many other X-Men characters and I'm sure they would be successful without him. I wonder how popular he would be without the X-Men though? His individual success would probably be even more affected than the team itself if he was never a member.

#6 Posted by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx said:

I am a very big Wolverine fan and I can say that no one character is bigger than the team. In my opinion the key ingredient to the success of the X-Men franchise is actually the mutant origin. The idea that you can just simply be born with powers instead of having to be in a scientific accident makes it much more possible in a readers mind that they too could get powers.

Most people like myself who are Wolverine fans also are fans of many other X-Men characters and I'm sure they would be successful without him. I wonder how popular he would be without the X-Men though? His individual success would probably be even more affected than the team itself if he was never a member.

So much this. The reason why the X-men became so popular in the 80s and 90s was due to plethora of distinct and developed characters within the franchise. Wolverine was a relatively big part of it, but he didn't do it alone.

#7 Posted by jhazzroucher (16126 posts) - - Show Bio

The x-men became popular because of the new x-men: Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Sunfire, Thunderbird and Banshee. They were all interesting or maybe not much for Banshee.

#8 Posted by acer51 (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

We may never know.

#9 Posted by HumanRocket (8604 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason why I liked the x-men when I was a kid was becuz of gambit. When I got older I got into wolverine.

#10 Posted by HAWK2916 (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone else would get the proper development. Xmen is about a team and not one person. The question is an interesting one and I think that if it were possible for Wolverine to leave right now and start up Alpha Flight I doubt it would outsell the Xmen.

I do think in recent years his likability has waned because of the ridiculous way Marvel allows 10 different writers to be writing him all at once and its gets convoluted and contradictory. I personally am tired of his kiss-ass lap dog attitude toward Cap and the Avengers

#11 Posted by BloodyNights (181 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even like Wolverine, I know some do, but I think the appeal of X-men is the entire team as a whole. However I think characters like Deadpool, and X-23 might have been effected...which would in turn annoy me :P

#12 Posted by Azrael_Online (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely Gambit, Cable, or even Bishop. I agree though, the X-Men aren't about just one single individual. If it were all about Wolverine than that cartoon a few years back, Wolverine and the X-Men would have done a lot better as well. In the 80's and early 90's there were great stories such as the Dark Phoenix Saga, Inferno, and X-Tinction Agenda that weren't centered around the clawed-cash cow too.

#13 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

This... I don't read/follow X-Men because of Wolverine... If anything, I like reading X-Men titles/stories with Logan excluded from the scene!

#14 Edited by Robert2928 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@ronsiconolfi: The question to ask is would Wolverine be as popular without the X-men

#15 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

This... I don't read/follow X-Men because of Wolverine... If anything, I like reading X-Men titles/stories with Logan excluded from the scene!

Exactly my stance. At least, if Cornell and Wood aren't writing him (their iterations are quite nice and on the same page in terms of characterization) then he can get lost.

#16 Edited by Wolverine08 (43577 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not really. They wouldn't be D listers or anything like that, but they wouldn't be as popular. Anyone who says otherwise is really just fooling themselves.

#17 Posted by Robert2928 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Yes post #24 soon I will be done with the post limit!!!XD

Would you mind expanding on your post? Obviously I'm not like a huge Wolverine fan (I do respect the character) and your username has his name in it so you probably know more. How would it have gone for Wolverine if he never joined the X-Men?

#18 Edited by Wolverine08 (43577 posts) - - Show Bio

@robert2928:

Well, Wolverine before his breakthrough in popularity in the 80s could have been could have been kicked out of the X-Men and possibly faded into obscurity without affecting the X-Men at all, but after his massive popularity breakthrough in the 80s/90s, the X-Men losing Wolverine would hurt their popularity overall. They would still be popular, but they would feel the pain of losing Wolverine on their overall popularity.

Wolverine did make his first appearance during a time (1974) where tough, gritty, anti authority anti heroes were becoming freakishly popular in American culture after the Vietnam War, so Logan could have possibly become a massive star without being a part of the X-Men. But it was through the deep characterizations of X-Men writers like Chris Claremont that Wolverine became the layered character that his large group of fans appreciate today. Overall, I think whether or not Wolverine could have become as popular as he is now would depend on if were fleshed out extremely well as a character.

#19 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10646 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much this. The ANAD roster and after have very popular characters that would still make this a successful and high selling franchise.

#20 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (315 posts) - - Show Bio

storm is poplular but she was in cyclops shadow and now wolverine

#21 Posted by nerdSmokeja (26 posts) - - Show Bio

idk i think once wolverine got popular, x-men went well into the stratosphere lol. it can be argued that x-men would still be popular but their level of popularity would be quite normal if you ask me. even though x-men has many ingredients making it popular, including logan; non are as popular

#22 Edited by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not.

But there is such a thing as overexposure. And they definitely have made Wolverine so monotonous at this point that anyone reading comics for a while now probably just feels numb to the character.

It's a shame because I actually used to really like him but he's so overexposed that I'm just sick of him showing up in every other book I read.

#23 Posted by _slim_ (13242 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course they would've still been popular.

#24 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@ageofhurricane said:

Exactly my stance. At least, if Cornell and Wood aren't writing him (their iterations are quite nice and on the same page in terms of characterization) then he can get lost.

Agreed.

#25 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the X-Men still would have been popular without Wolverine because if Wolverine wasn't created or didn't join the X-Men, then there would have been another character who would have taken over for Wolverine. If we are looking for a character who almost has similar personalities like Wolverine, I would say Gambit would be the candidate to take Wolverine's place.

Also, like everyone else pointed out, the X-Men was very popular because the theme of the series is very different from any other superhero series. The fact that these are superheroes who are hated by society because they were mutants is something that really relates to everyone and that's what I really loved about the X-Men. Also, I read the X-Men books for the team, not just for Wolverine. If I wanted to read a comic book that features mainly Wolverine, then I would read his solo series like Old Man Logan and Wolverine: Weapon X.

#26 Edited by jhazzroucher (16126 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the X-Men still would have been popular without Wolverine because if Wolverine wasn't created or didn't join the X-Men, then there would have been another character who would have taken over for Wolverine. If we are looking for a character who almost has similar personalities like Wolverine, I would say Gambit would be the candidate to take Wolverine's place.

Also, like everyone else pointed out, the X-Men was very popular because the theme of the series is very different from any other superhero series. The fact that these are superheroes who are hated by society because they were mutants is something to really relates to everyone and that's what I really loved about the X-Men. Also, I read the X-Men books for the team, not just for Wolverine. If I wanted to read a comic book that features mainly Wolverine, then I would read his solo series like Old Man Logan and Wolverine: Weapon X.

I'd say Thunderbird or Sunfire.

I really love the Giant-Sized x-men issue because they were three (Thunderbird, Sunfire and Wolverine) of them who were kind of hot-tempered, made the team more interesting

#27 Posted by xchaix (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple answer: Yes.

#28 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog said:

Also, like everyone else pointed out, the X-Men was very popular because the theme of the series is very different from any other superhero series. The fact that these are superheroes who are hated by society because they were mutants is something to really relates to everyone and that's what I really loved about the X-Men. Also, I read the X-Men books for the team, not just for Wolverine. If I wanted to read a comic book that features mainly Wolverine, then I would read his solo series like Old Man Logan and Wolverine: Weapon X.

I'd say Thunderbird or Sunfire.

I really love the Giant-Sized x-men issue because they were three (Thunderbird, Sunfire and Wolverine) of them who were kind of hot-tempered, made the team more interesting

Oh yeah! Sunfire or Thunderbird would have also worked out if Wolverine wasn't in the team. I also loved the Giant-Sized X-Men issue since that generation of X-Men was really interesting to me!

#29 Posted by Wolverine08 (43577 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@papad1992 said:

@ageofhurricane said:

Agreed.

#30 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (15503 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@ageofhurricane said:

@papad1992 said:

@ageofhurricane said:

Agreed.

Agreed

#31 Edited by Wolverine08 (43577 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12010 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wolverine a lot but X-Men made Wolverine's entire career.

#33 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Well maybe THe X-Men wouldn't Have the exact amount of popularity but yeaH tHey would still be popular.

June'sVeryOwn

#34 Posted by Blacharrt1 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!

#35 Posted by Dman1366 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I loved Claremont, which I do, I have the entire first series of New Mutants, including the Annuals, Special, and the first appearance in the Graphic Novel #4(which is signed by Claremont); I actually thought that the Simonson's did more than him.

#36 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

@dman1366 said:

@ageofhurricane said:

As much as I loved Claremont, which I do, I have the entire first series of New Mutants, including the Annuals, Special, and the first appearance in the Graphic Novel #4(which is signed by Claremont); I actually thought that the Simonson's did more than him.

No way. Louise Simonson, on a command from the editor allegedly, had to make New Mutants more kid friendly, in which she butchered everything and got rid of a lot of interesting themes. The Simonsons biggest credit to the X-Men lore are Apocalypse and Archangel. Nothing else really IMO.

#37 Posted by judasnixon (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

Done and done....... go home everyone this thread is over.............

#38 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: i have something to say.... I got into xmen not for any of the xmen. I got into the xmen because of Magneto. You got to admit Magneto is pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.