Would U Buy It #12: "What If? X-Men Vol. 1-3"

Posted by cbishop (8226 posts) - - Show Bio
#DateWelcome to WUBI # 12:Choose Your View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
1210/05/10What If? X-Men, Vol. 1-3(Blog) (Forum)X-Men(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's three of mine:

Proposed Title:What If? X-Men, Vol. 1, ...Vol. 2 & ...Vol. 3.
Alternate Title:X-Men: What If?, Vol. 1, ...Vol. 2 & ...Vol. 3.
Vol. 1 Collecting 10 Issues:
Vol. 2 Collecting 10 Issues:
Vol. 3 Collecting 10 Issues:
Covers: (click to enlarge)
Vol 1 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #23

I don't have a lot to say about these TPB's. X-Men sell, the 1989 What If? series was very X-heavy heavy, with X-stories every other issue for months, towards the end. For the Volume 1 cover, I'd use issue #23 - a homage to Giant-Size X-Men #1.

Vol 2 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #84

For the Volume 2 cover, I'd use issue #84, just because it has multiple X-Men on the cover.

Vol 3 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #110

For Volume 3, I don't really like any of the covers as representing the team, but I'd use issue #110, just because it has Professor X, Phoenix, and Colossus on the cover - characters I think of as core X-Men.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.

More WUBI:

Back/ Next#DateWhich WUBI will it be:
Back:1110/05/10What If? Punisher
Next:1310/05/10What If? Phoenix

Want more WUBI?ViewTheIndex
Full WUBI Index:(numerical order)(alphabetical order)(categorized)

Thanks again!

#1 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I had no idea there were so many!  I don't know ... I'm probably alone here, but I tend not to buy books that aren't in continuity.  That said, I would probably pick them up to read at the library. :)

#2 Posted by eldestrisk (637 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be a TPB I would definitely buy.

#3 Posted by cbishop (8226 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged said:
"Wow. I had no idea there were so many!  I don't know ... I'm probably alone here, but I tend not to buy books that aren't in continuity.  That said, I would probably pick them up to read at the library. :) "
Yeah, the 1989 series was pretty X-Men heavy towards the end.  Like you, I figure not being in continuity would be the thing to hold up sales on these.  Personally, I love a good non-continuity story, so I'd probably jump on most of these.  (I'd hope so, since I made the blog, huh?) 

@eldestrisk said:
"That would be a TPB I would definitely buy. "

All 3, or one volume in particular?
#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio

I would totally buy the third. Goes to amazon.com and bn.com to check prices.

#5 Posted by Ga11owbraid (36 posts) - - Show Bio

You missed a good one.

#6 Edited by cbishop (8226 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

"I would totally buy the third. Goes to amazon.com and bn.com to check prices. "

If only Marvel would publish it. ;)

@Ga11owbraid said:

" You missed a good one. "

Nope, that one's in WUBI #12: "What If? Wolverine". ;)

#7 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop said:
" @Rheged said:
"Wow. I had no idea there were so many!  I don't know ... I'm probably alone here, but I tend not to buy books that aren't in continuity.  That said, I would probably pick them up to read at the library. :) "
Yeah, the 1989 series was pretty X-Men heavy towards the end.  Like you, I figure not being in continuity would be the thing to hold up sales on these.  Personally, I love a good non-continuity story, so I'd probably jump on most of these.  (I'd hope so, since I made the blog, huh?)
Indeed.  LOL!  With out of continuity books, it really has to be a character I'm interested in, or a really cool event.  Usually involving villains winning. :)
#8 Posted by cbishop (8226 posts) - - Show Bio

Villains winning is always a cool theme, but for me, Mark Waid wrote the ultimate when he wrote Empire. I think Irredeemable is an interesting exercise, but haven't read enough of it yet to give an informed opinion. What If always does a good What if the villain won story though. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.