Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Would Halle have made a better Mystique than Storm?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

I don't think Halle is a bad actress. And her performance as Storm in X-men and X2 were kinda questionable. Even though I felt she redeemed herself in the Last Stand. But imagine if she would've played Mystique. I think that would have suited her better. Rebecca R was good no doubt, but I feel Halle would've given Mystique a little different feel.
    I also think Halle as Mystique would've been better for Halle's career and people would've liked her better in the X-films.

What do you guys think?

jkojkojko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Halle Berry for Wolverine!!! But seriously, I rather liked her as Storm. I thought her little quips were funny and she displayed the appropriate strength for a woman of that caliber. I don't know how I would feel with Halle as Mystique. It just seems like a different type of character than she does well at. As long as we leave cats out of the picture I'd be wiling to at least give her a shot.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I like Halle Berry as an actress, but this seemed like a miscast to me. I'd prefer someone taller, with more gravitas, and more physical presence to have taken the Storm role. I have the opposite opinion of jkojkojko; I think Halle excels with characters who are sensual, and can vacillate between femme fatale and emotionally vulnerable roles, but Storm's character is not really any of those things. .

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I like Halle Berry as an actress, but this seemed like a miscast to me. I'd prefer someone taller, with more gravitas, and more physical presence to have taken the Storm role. I have the opposite opinion of jkojkojko; I think Halle excels with characters who are sensual, and can vacillate between femme fatale and emotionally vulnerable roles, but Storm's character is not really any of those things. .

Agreed with this completely. Whilst i wouldn't necessarily have cast Halle as Mystique instead... she would have done better in that more femme fatale role than as Storm. its perhaps a little unfair to say... but i believe Halle was cast as Storm because she was (at the time) the most bankable black actress in the world, not for any real appropriateness or ability to perform the role well. She fell well short as Storm. I'll blame Singer's obsession with men in tight pants for Storm being shoved into the background, giving Halle no chance to prove her ability to portray a mutant goddess.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

LOL Your guys' responses are smart yet funny as hell! Personally, I kind of agree. I think Halle is a better actress that Rebecca. (Love them both!) And I think Mystique could have been given more depth by Halle.. Yet Rebbecca gave Mystique more of that coldness that was also Awesome.

Halle Berry also would've made a good:
    Monet (back in the day.)

I WILL SAY IN HALLE'S DEFENSE:

I am looking forward to seeing her play Storm in Days of Future Past. She really seems like she's got an idea of who the character really is this time.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: there is an element of the bad ass in the DoFP Storm lacking from all the previous iterations.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think she did horrible as Storm, she didn't say much....which seeing as shes not the writer, isnt her fault. She sort of played the same blan character that Scott and Jean were playing....the trio didn't have much personality and its not for lack of acting abilities.

I like to think that Halle's Storm was closer to the modern Storm (more thinking and observing) then the 80's Storm (I AM A GODDESS!) but still had a bit of the soul of the character. Compare her scene with Nightcrawler in X2 with how she acted when she first met Idie...or most of her interactions with younger X-characters. When she got a chance to show her character she did alright.

Would she have made a better Mystique...Ellen Page is superior acting wise to Rebecca and Halle but i still think Rebecca's performance hasn't been matched

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: there is an element of the bad ass in the DoFP Storm lacking from all the previous iterations.

I'm kind of seeing that too (thankfully). I hope, if this is the last time we see this cast of the original X-Men (save maybe Wolverine), that they go out of the franchise with a big bang.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Halle Barry is an amazing actress, people have forgotten.

Portrayals of characters are only partly due to the actress. The huge problem with many of the X-Men is the script, not the actor/actresses. Most of them have been completely been mis-written, misused, ignored or simply cast aside for favor of other characters.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I dont think she did horrible as Storm, she didn't say much....which seeing as shes not the writer, isnt her fault. She sort of played the same blan character that Scott and Jean were playing....the trio didn't have much personality and its not for lack of acting abilities.

I like to think that Halle's Storm was closer to the modern Storm (more thinking and observing) then the 80's Storm (I AM A GODDESS!) but still had a bit of the soul of the character. Compare her scene with Nightcrawler in X2 with how she acted when she first met Idie...or most of her interactions with younger X-characters. When she got a chance to show her character she did alright.

Would she have made a better Mystique...Ellen Page is superior acting wise to Rebecca and Halle but i still think Rebecca's performance hasn't been matched

i am not the biggest Halle fan... but no way doing is Ellen Page a better actress than her. Certainly over Rebecca Romijn... but def not Halle Berry.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She would have made a great Stacy X.

bigfoot09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30: I was talkin to a guy who has already saw the movie at the premier and asked him SPECIFICALLY bout storm and he said "magneto and storm were both badass and storm has some kick ass scenes with the sentinels but sadly thts pretty much all we see" he said the "majority of the film is in the past and we don't see TOO much of future characters so we won't see no development or anything like tht, but when we do see them he said they won't disapoint." He said "iceman had cool scenes, blink (which was his personal favorite) was cool" and said "mags and storm was badass and tht he felt they utilized storms powers better than the previous films"

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Helle Berry is a great actor...I did liked her as Storm, but it's time for a replacement...I don't know about ya people...but I believe Zoe Saldana will be the perfect Storm in replacing Halle...oh absolutely...and tell me no.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

halle berry is not a storm material. naomi campbell or the supermodel iman would have been a better storm. rebecca romijn was a great mystique. lets leave her be

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30: I was talkin to a guy who has already saw the movie at the premier and asked him SPECIFICALLY bout storm and he said "magneto and storm were both badass and storm has some kick ass scenes with the sentinels but sadly thts pretty much all we see" he said the "majority of the film is in the past and we don't see TOO much of future characters so we won't see no development or anything like tht, but when we do see them he said they won't disapoint." He said "iceman had cool scenes, blink (which was his personal favorite) was cool" and said "mags and storm was badass and tht he felt they utilized storms powers better than the previous films"

This is great to hear :-)! So far the reviews have been positive. I had a feeling that the future cast's roles would be limited (except for maybe Wolverine & Xavier) but it is good to know (and exciting) that what limited amount of screen time we may get...Storm will be a bada$$ at least.

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: back n the gen x days, I always thought Aaliyah would've been a good M, she had her build, hair, and beauty

Now for Halle Berry, maybe it was the writers fault of her hovering out a elevator looking retarded and saying the corniest thing I heard n a movie... it took her two movies before she could fly right or fight.. I think its funny that xmen one she had half a accent in one scene and no accent the next, if the actor who played logan could drop his accent for ours then she shouldve had those same qualities, in the second movie she dropped the whole thing sounding like someones aunt, when I think of Storm, I think of Iman, Grace jones, even Tina Turner from Mad Max Sequel, when I watch American horror Story watching angela bassett all I saw was Storm, she had a accent, Halle berry is a pretty woman but doesnt have the features of a African female

Psy_chrometer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halle is ok as Storm and Mystique played well as the characer itself so let leave her alone. I have no problema con Mystique. I believe she did a great job.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.