Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Worst X-Men storylines?

• 90 results
    Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Tigerstriper

Austen and Morrison. I hated both their runs.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Tigerstriper said:

Yeah, I've heard so many bad things about Austen's run. Makes me not want to pick it up.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By John Valentine

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Tigerstriper said:

Yeah, I've heard so many bad things about Austen's run. Makes me not want to pick it up.

Don't. It's best left forgotten.

Morrison's, however, was amazing, IMO.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By JonesDeini

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

• Warsong
    • Schism
    • Deadly Genesis

I can mosdef agree to schism, luckily I was out for a good deal of the post 2,000 X-Men...BUT I did come in during the Fraction/Brubaker years...so yeah. Basically pick just about any story from that time period and you've got me on your side.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@ApatheticAvenger said:

What is TRULY awful? Two words: Chuck Austen. His entire X-Men run was plagued with terrible storytelling.

He wrote that Angel rebuilt Iceman's body out of urine. OUT OF URINE. Let's not get into the fact that a human bladder could not hold an entire body's volume of urine, but come on. ANGEL PEED A NEW BODY FOR ICEMAN. My God.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By JonesDeini

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

What is TRULY awful? Two words: Chuck Austen. His entire X-Men run was plagued with terrible storytelling.

He wrote that Angel rebuilt Iceman's body out of urine. OUT OF URINE. Let's not get into the fact that a human bladder could not hold an entire body's volume of urine, but come on. ANGEL PEED A NEW BODY FOR ICEMAN. My God.

We're just gonna skip around Havok' and his nurses psychic love affair? And mutant Immunity to AIDS?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Oh gosh...that is just too horrible for words...

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Tigerstriper

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I'm glad I skipped that run, that's not only disgusting, it sounds amateurish.

Morrison's writing is off and on for me. There's been some Morrison writing I liked (Arkham Asylum), and some I didn't (New X-Men). I didn't care for the look during that run either. The black costumes looked dull, maybe if a different art team had been on the book it would have been better. But that's just my taste. This might be a wildly unpopular opinion, but I don't much care for Alan Davis or Mike Allred either.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Tigerstriper said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Morrison's writing is off and on for me. There's been some Morrison writing I liked (Arkham Asylum), and some I didn't (New X-Men). I didn't care for the look during that run either. The black costumes looked dull, maybe if a different art team had been on the book it would have been better. But that's just my taste. This might be a wildly unpopular opinion, but I don't much care for Alan Davis or Mike Allred either.

I've just read "New X-Men" and I'm still not sure about how I feel about this series. Guess I'll have to read it again sometime.
    Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Nudeviking

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Tigerstriper said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I've just read "New X-Men" and I'm still not sure about how I feel about this series. Guess I'll have to read it again sometime.

I think that Morrison's New X-Men is a lot less consistent than people remember it being. The highs of his run are really high...probably some of the best X-Men stuff written. The bad stuff is, well it's not Chuck Austen bad, but not exactly top tier stuff (Beak and Angel Salvadore teen mutant pregnancy arc comes to mind).

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#61  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@Nudeviking said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Tigerstriper said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I think that Morrison's New X-Men is a lot less consistent than people remember it being. The highs of his run are really high...probably some of the best X-Men stuff written. The bad stuff is, well it's not Chuck Austen bad, but not exactly top tier stuff (Beak and Angel Salvadore teen mutant pregnancy arc comes to mind).

Ha, I loved that. But I'm weird, so I can see why that could be considered a low point for Morrison (which would be considered a high point for any other writer).

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By stambo42

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Tigerstriper said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Ha, I loved that. But I'm weird, so I can see why that could be considered a low point for Morrison (which would be considered a high point for any other writer).

I too find myself in favor of that subplot- though I think it was way too rushed. I guess he knew he wasn't staying on forever.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Bump.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#64  Edited By time1

Anything writtten by Matt Fraction.

Here stories were dreadful, so was his run on Uncanny X-Men.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@time said:

Anything writtten by Matt Fraction.

Here stories were dreadful, so was his run on Uncanny X-Men.

Yeah, I've read some of his work and they were terrible. I miss Chris Claremont's and Joss Whedon's runs on X-Men...

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By icysloth

schism

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing off jean grey for the second time and having her wake up in a horrible future

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

Killing off jean grey for the second time and having her wake up in a horrible future

That wasn't a storyline.

That was Marvel Editorial trolling Jean Grey fans 'till suicide attempts were noticeable.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By aaunderoath

My first X-Men experience was House of M then Schism. Since then I've filled in the blanks as well as the 2 Claremont omnibuses, Morrison's run, and Whedon's run. Going back Schism is just such a one sided annoying Wolverine fan fest its ridiculous. The fact that Wolverine out of nowhere isn't friends with Cyclops is just weird to me after reading Morrison and Whedon's runs. I know it's blasphemy but I liked some of Fractions stories :/ mainly Utopia and Nation-X but Beast was just .. AGH

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By xmentas

Honestly I thought the classic Storm storylines were so boring! Uncanny Xmen when storm met forge and all her hatred towards the world after that was just too much to handle. I like Storm as a nature lover over the mowhawk years.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By cattlebattle

Everything from the past 10-12 years is petty disastrous honestly. It all started with "The Twelve" and went down hill from there...there was a couple of redeeming stories though.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @cattlebattle said:
    Everything from the past 10-12 years is petty disastrous honestly. It all started with "The Twelve" and went down hill from there...there was a couple of redeeming stories though.
    I agree, although Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run and X-Force were one of the few good stories from the past 10 years.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Rabbitearsblog said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    I agree, although Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run and X-Force were one of the few good stories from the past 10 years.
    Morrisons run, and several story arcs here and there were good, Messiah Complex arc was actually decent, X-Factor is usually pretty interesting. Magneto: Testament, X-Men First Class and some stories that operated out of the main timeline were awesome. I swear though, the stuff from Land and Fraction was just appalling, those guys honestly made the X-Men dead to me.

I honestly think Whedons run is overly hyped, while I did enjoy it....its usual Whedon writing, nothing stellar. All the characters  just have loads of snark and people like Brand are written like usual Whedon characters, all the villains were not threatening on the level that villains in some other great story arcs have been. Ord is a moron, Danger was the X-Mens version of Ultron basically. Its a good, fun read, but I think people hold it in too high esteem for an X-men title only because Whedon wrote it.
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#74  Edited By time1

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Tigerstriper said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Let's not forget Morrison had no understanding of Cyclops and Jean Grey Marriage, that was one of the worst things about his run. I still can't believe people like his Jean Grey, he really treated her poorly.

Totally agree with you, worst thing ever, is he didn't give her time to deal with Emma and Scott. What was it, one issue.

I think years of 2000 in X-Men comics, don' t compare to early 1990s or 80's. There have some really rubbish titles and stories told over the last 10 years. Although there been some good titles, like the X-Force, Yost and Kyle did a great job, best series within the last 10 years.

@cattlebattle said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    Morrisons run, and several story arcs here and there were good, Messiah Complex arc was actually decent, X-Factor is usually pretty interesting. Magneto: Testament, X-Men First Class and some stories that operated out of the main timeline were awesome. I swear though, the stuff from Land and Fraction was just appalling, those guys honestly made the X-Men dead to me. I honestly think Whedons run is overly hyped, while I did enjoy it....its usual Whedon writing, nothing stellar. All the characters just have loads of snark and people like Brand are written like usual Whedon characters, all the villains were not threatening on the level that villains in some other great story arcs have been. Ord is a moron, Danger was the X-Mens version of Ultron basically. Its a good, fun read, but I think people hold it in too high esteem for an X-men title only because Whedon wrote it.

I think Morrison and Joss Whedon run is very much overrated. I also think X-Factor is overrated too.

tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tahmidk

chuck austen 

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By sunhawk

really no one mentioning XMEN 3 movie? or the near disaster that was Origins:Wolverine?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By John Valentine

@time said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Tigerstriper said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Let's not forget Morrison had no understanding of Cyclops and Jean Grey Marriage, that was one of the worst things about his run. I still can't believe people like his Jean Grey, he really treated her poorly.

Totally agree with you, worst thing ever, is he didn't give her time to deal with Emma and Scott. What was it, one issue.

I think years of 2000 in X-Men comics, don' t compare to early 1990s or 80's. There have some really rubbish titles and stories told over the last 10 years. Although there been some good titles, like the X-Force, Yost and Kyle did a great job, best series within the last 10 years.

@cattlebattle said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    Morrisons run, and several story arcs here and there were good, Messiah Complex arc was actually decent, X-Factor is usually pretty interesting. Magneto: Testament, X-Men First Class and some stories that operated out of the main timeline were awesome. I swear though, the stuff from Land and Fraction was just appalling, those guys honestly made the X-Men dead to me. I honestly think Whedons run is overly hyped, while I did enjoy it....its usual Whedon writing, nothing stellar. All the characters just have loads of snark and people like Brand are written like usual Whedon characters, all the villains were not threatening on the level that villains in some other great story arcs have been. Ord is a moron, Danger was the X-Mens version of Ultron basically. Its a good, fun read, but I think people hold it in too high esteem for an X-men title only because Whedon wrote it.

I think Morrison and Joss Whedon run is very much overrated. I also think X-Factor is overrated too.

Ha, no.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @cattlebattle said:
    @Rabbitearsblog said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    Morrisons run, and several story arcs here and there were good, Messiah Complex arc was actually decent, X-Factor is usually pretty interesting. Magneto: Testament, X-Men First Class and some stories that operated out of the main timeline were awesome. I swear though, the stuff from Land and Fraction was just appalling, those guys honestly made the X-Men dead to me.  I honestly think Whedons run is overly hyped, while I did enjoy it....its usual Whedon writing, nothing stellar. All the characters  just have loads of snark and people like Brand are written like usual Whedon characters, all the villains were not threatening on the level that villains in some other great story arcs have been. Ord is a moron, Danger was the X-Mens version of Ultron basically. Its a good, fun read, but I think people hold it in too high esteem for an X-men title only because Whedon wrote it.
    Yeah, I will admit the only thing I didn't care for in Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men was Danger and Ord since they just weren't that interesting to me.
    sw04ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By sw04ca

Yeah, as much as I didn't like Schism, Necrosha was so much worse. Still, even that was better than Austen's run. The whole thing with Warren just ravishing Paige in front of her whole family is probably the single goofiest, most inappropriate things ever to happen in an X-comic. And not because of the age difference, but just because that's not how you behave. Ma Guthrie should have shot him.

sw04ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By sw04ca

@cattlebattle: I think that Astonishing holds up pretty well, with interesting stories and nice takes on the characters. Probably the best use of Wolverine I've seen in years. Whedon did a good job of taking us to interesting places and telling us stories about beloved characters without overdoing it on the melodrama or bringing in the classic X-villains to beat up on. It's virtues were that it was entertaining and self-contained. I'm not as big a fan of Morrison's run, but I can understand why some people would be. I liked a lot of what he did, but some of the sub-arcs were a little awkward for me. And then there was the Xorn/Magneto thing and the weird take on Scott and Jean's relationship.

No way would I put Morrison's run in the worst X-men storylines, but I wouldn't say it was the best of them either.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#81  Edited By x_29

Astonishing X-men: Xenogenesis

Frell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Frell

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

• Warsong
    • Schism
    • Deadly Genesis

I thought that Schism was so poorly written because the characters were so off base in that story.

At least Warsong gave us the Stepford Cuckoos origin story. I will agree with the other selections listed here though.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#83  Edited By Teerack

Everything in Astonishing X-Men. I don't know why I keep reading it.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#84  Edited By Billy Batson

@Teerack said:

Everything in Astonishing X-Men. I don't know why I keep reading it.

Even the Whedon/Cassaday run?
    BB

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#85  Edited By Teerack

@Billy Batson: I haven't like anything from 1-55

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#86  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Billy Batson: *cough* overrated *fart*

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Billy Batson

@AgeofHurricane said:

I agree but most seem to like it so hence the question :p
    BB

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Billy Batson said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I agree but most seem to like it so hence the question :p
    BB

I actually like Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men since the characters were well-developed.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Billy Batson

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I actually like Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men since the characters were well-developed.

Everybody knows you do :p
    I thought it was alright, didn't care for it that much. It was typical Whedon; his Kitty irked me.
    BB

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
    deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Schism was good in my mind, purely because Wolverine went to Iceman first.

He understood that Bobby was vital to the X-Men spirit, and that made me happy.

Other than that, it was bad though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.