Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Wolverine Wasn't Favored in the X Men Movies

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine008

I decided to write this topic after I recently watched all three X films back to back. One major complaint I hear for the X films was that Wolverine was the star of the films, and the movies were "Wolverine and the X Men". After watching all three movies again, I don't think that was the problem.

X Men is about Rouge, the sub plot is about Wolverine

X Men 2 is about Wolverine, the sub plot is about Jean Grey

X Men 3 is about Jean Grey, the sub plot is about Rouge.

I think the problem for the X films was that Hugh Jackman (who plays Wolverine) was always giving the best acting performance. Hugh Jackman completely owned his role as Wolverine. He WAS Wolverine. I don't think this can be said for Anna Paquin as Rogue, Halle Berry as Storm, etc. I think that because Jackman was the only charismatic and attention grabbing guy of the cast, Wolverine by extension was the only charismatic and attention grabbing X Man in the movies. This gave the illusion that Wolverine was the hogging all the screen time when he wasn't.

Granted I'm not an X Men fan (just a Wolverine fan), and my knowledge on them is rudimentary at best. So, I wanted to hear X fans opinions on my theory.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, I think he was the main protagonist of all of them. The first movie was about him helping Rogue. Second was centered around him and Stryker. Third was him trying to stop Jean. I think the main "illusion" is that he's in every X-men movie.

Honestly, he was not Wolverine. I found his performance to be better. Wolverine was always more animal than human/mutant. He acts and looks like an animal. Hugh Jackman was less animalistic, while still being Wolverine. Of all the X-men comics I've read, I was never been much of a Wolverine fan. I am, however, a pretty big fan of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And in each one wolverine was most strongly bound to the very young girl de jour. It's been a while since i've seen them, but if I remember right, their strongest tie was to him of course. Not the mentor, teacher that's helping them every step of the way, or bf. Just the creepy new guy. Actually rogue was new, and I could see her forming an attachment with him, but the jean one is very forced to me.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@dayvid3 said:

And in each one wolverine was most strongly bound to the very young girl de jour. It's been a while since i've seen them, but if I remember right, their strongest tie was to him of course. Not the mentor, teacher that's helping them every step of the way, or bf. Just the creepy new guy. Actually rogue was new, and I could see her forming an attachment with him, but the jean one is very forced to me.

Yea i think thats the problem, hes the Male Lead in every one regardless of if there is another story. Even in the sub stories he has a major part through his connection to the main characters of the main story if that made any sense what so ever lol.

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
    MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to write this topic after I recently watched all three X films back to back. One major complaint I hear for the X films was that Wolverine was the star of the films, and the movies were "Wolverine and the X Men". After watching all three movies again, I don't think that was the problem.

I think the problem for the X films was that Hugh Jackman (who plays Wolverine) was always giving the best acting performance. Hugh Jackman completely owned his role as Wolverine. He WAS Wolverine. I don't think this can be said for Anna Paquin as Rogue, Halle Berry as Storm, etc. I think that because Jackman was the only charismatic and attention grabbing guy of the cast, Wolverine by extension was the only charismatic and attention grabbing X Man in the movies. This gave the illusion that Wolverine was the hogging all the screen time when he wasn't.

Granted I'm not an X Men fan (just a Wolverine fan), and my knowledge on them is rudimentary at best. So, I wanted to hear X fans opinions on my theory.

If anything the real reason why he stuck out most was 1) he was mainly written as the lead role in the movie

2) This is the most important is that he was written most close to his character. When you look at the other x-men they really don't seem like the X-men we know from the comics. Storm doesn't take any leader ship an is not as out spoken (other than in 3 which I loved lol) Cyclops wasn't really much of a field commander as he is in the comics. Jean was ok but seemed like a newbie with her powers. Professor an Magneto where great to me. Nightcrawler is not a courageous an confident about him self as he was in the comics. Rouge being a kid messed up her character for me.

But just yea to me it wasn't really the actors but the way the their parts where written.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:
    @dayvid3 said:

Yea i think thats the problem, hes the Male Lead in every one regardless of if there is another story. Even in the sub stories he has a major part through his connection to the main characters of the main story if that made any sense what so ever lol.

Yep

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No-- the movies are basicly Hugh Jackman and friends.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Wolverine had the most screen time and was the main hero in the X-Men movies. It was always up to him to save the day. They got rid of Cyclops very quickly in X-Men 2 and 3. Storm barely showed and Jean didn't do anything until the last movie, where she just stood there and looked evil.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.