WILL there ever be solo x-men movies about other mutants?

#1 Posted by THORSON (2392 posts) - - Show Bio

for like iceman, colossus, juggs, cyclopes or storm. or at least not focus x-men movies entirely on wolverine.

#2 Posted by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHAHAHAHAH...NO! Wolverine is always the X-Men showboat when it comes to movies. I would hope, seeing as Cyclops is my favorite character and there's a fan based trailer of his own origins film with over 4 million views (almost 5) on youtube.

Incase someone wants to see it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-J3nxYCsEk.

#3 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: I liked that 'First Class focused on Magneto/Xavier/Mystique, I thought that was really smart.

Personally, I'd like to see an X-men movie that centered on Kitty and/or Storm, especially. But I think most X-men characters are kind of meant to be (and generally work best) as part of an ensemble cast.

I would watch a Gambit movie, though. Or a Bishop movie, actually.

#4 Posted by Tohoma (1437 posts) - - Show Bio

*Sigh* I wish. This is probably because no other x-men character is marketable as wolverine.

#6 Posted by CTG (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Not likely. Though if there were one on the horizon, I think Gambit would be the most marketable. Everything about him screams Hollywood blockbuster. He's a character that has a ton of style and charisma. Everything from his mutant abilities to his acrobatics and thieving nature make a great blueprint for an action movie as well. Throw in the guilds of New Orleans and you've got a lot to work with.

The arc that just ended in his book #9-12 is a great example of something a Gambit movie could do well.

#7 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

They could probably sell a Mystique solo at this point.

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I don't follow her stories intently, but I've read most of her solo series, and based on that, I reckon they could make a pretty cool film with her.

Hopefully she'd be wearing some clothes in it. I'm not into the naked look they've used previously.

#9 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm, Gambit, and Rogue had chances.

Storm's were good

Rogue's were terrible

Gambit's are still trying to stay afloat

I think the OP was talking about if there will ever be solo X-Men movies (hence the title of the thread), not if they had solo books! :P

#10 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg:

I don't follow her stories intently, but I've read most of her solo series, and based on that, I reckon they could make a pretty cool film with her.

Hopefully she'd be wearing some clothes in it. I'm not into the naked look they've used previously.

I'd want it to be more based off of her portrayal in First Class, so yeah, a little more practical than that.

#11 Posted by JohnnyGat (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

If they ever make a Cyclops solo movie, it better have Sinister.

#12 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see a Jean Grey and Cyclops duo movie or a Storm, Rogue or Gambit solo movie. I think these pairings/solo characters could drive some good action without Wolverine being involved. I'd like Marvel to release animated movies with those characters.

#13 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

If Marvel actually gave time to the other X-Men, I think they might get some solo films for the other X-Men. But right now, it seems that Wolverine is the most marketable at the moment. I would definitely love to see a solo film on Storm, Colossus, Cyclops and Jean Grey!

#14 Posted by Veitha (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm an Emma Frost's fan, so I'd like to see a movie or a show about her basing it on her solo-series, and I think that it could work, because in that series there are a lot of things that could be used to put on a good show: the relationship with her family, the discovering of her powers, the whole "growing up" stuff and then they could add the Hellfire Club plot, I think that it could be a good movie or show. Just don't let January Jones play her role.

#15 Posted by RustyRoy (12717 posts) - - Show Bio

If they ever make a Cyclops solo movie, it better have Sinister.

This. Cyclops should get a solo movie, his back story is very interesting. Sinister as the main villain and Magneto and Xavier as supporting characters.

#16 Posted by BewilderingBeing (69 posts) - - Show Bio

....... Mystique is a villian. She is old as dirt and has always hated the "goody two shoes" attitude of the X-men. Having her not only be an original member of the X-men team which was a total lie but also Prof X's sister was not at all smart and contradicts the Original First class and everything afterwards. Why would the Films "First class" version of Mystique ever fight Prof X or his team given the history they portrayed?

@thorson: I liked that 'First Class focused on Magneto/Xavier/Mystique, I thought that was really smart.

Personally, I'd like to see an X-men movie that centered on Kitty and/or Storm, especially. But I think most X-men characters are kind of meant to be (and generally work best) as part of an ensemble cast.

I would watch a Gambit movie, though. Or a Bishop movie, actually.

#17 Posted by poisonfleur (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish... Sadly enough.. These characters aren't 'marketable'
Who ever decided that crap!?

Storm, Gambit, Rogue and Magneto have the best chances! Maybe even Kitty.

#18 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

....... Mystique is a villian. She is old as dirt and has always hated the "goody two shoes" attitude of the X-men. Having her not only be an original member of the X-men team which was a total lie but also Prof X's sister was not at all smart and contradicts the Original First class and everything afterwards. Why would the Films "First class" version of Mystique ever fight Prof X or his team given the history they portrayed?

I dunno, I guess it just doesn't bother me because I thought it was a cool story. Yeah, it's a different story than the comics, but, so?

In the original version, Loki was Thor's uncle, not his brother. By your definition, all marvel comics with Thor and Loki are a total lie in that they create a character dynamic that was never intended by the original stories. But they're still good stories.

#19 Edited by ScarletBatman (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if Disney made the film, or at least some one other than Fox.

#20 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1194 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd really like to see the whole cable/bishop chasing Hope through different timelines movie. Idris Elba as Bishop and the avatar general guy as cable

#21 Posted by MistressOfTheElements (514 posts) - - Show Bio

Until there fanbase come up like Iron Man,Wolverine,Bat Man then they will get a solo film.

#22 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Most writers tend to focus on Wolverine because his abilities are physical and easy to incorporate into a panel or screen. Energy-related powers, on the other hand, tend to get short shrift because they are less direct.

#23 Edited by Arinya (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Chamber would be really interesting. He has a pretty crazy power and a crazy look. He would be interesting and is young.

Colossus would be awesome! His transformation is cool, simple power easy to understand and he's from Russia. Just alot of good reasons. I'd be down for a Colossus movie set in Russia!

Cyclops is boring. I know he's the leader of the X-Men but until recently seems too buttoned up and if you did Cyclops you'd have to have the Xavier school. That's basically X-Men First Class territory.

Dazzler. She would be a fun movie to watch. She's the most relatable character for most and she's young so that's an easy demographic to sell to.

I'd love to see a Psylocke movie. She's a strong character, has alot of stories and cool powers. Possibly also open up avenue for Excalibur since she has ties to Cap Britain? The more I think about it I really want a solo story about her. Does she have a solo book?

Magik would also cool. I'm just now finding out more about her! She has a great power and looks awesome in the Uncanny X-Men story.

#24 Posted by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so, and there doesn't need to be any either.

#25 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@arinya said:

Colossus would be awesome! His transformation is cool, simple power easy to understand and he's from Russia. Just alot of good reasons. I'd be down for a Colossus movie set in Russia!

I would love to see a Colossus movie in Russia too! I wonder what kind of story would be good for Colossus in Russia?

#26 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

@arinya said:

Dazzler. She would be a fun movie to watch. She's the most relatable character for most and she's young so that's an easy demographic to sell to.

It would be very ironic if Dazzler ended up getting her own movie considering the business deal that created the character and how that fell through. That deal would have been ahead of it's time since a few other properties are exploring multiple distribution models now. And the movie's soundtrack and story could parallel the trajectory of the "Dazzler: The Movie Limited Series" as well as bring Marvel into the independent record label scene since Disney now owns them so it is possible that a young singer/performer could be attached to the project and start appearing in official X-Men movies.

#27 Posted by Arinya (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog: Has Colossus been in his own book? I just found out that Psylocke had her own mini series. I wonder if it's any good. Anyone read it?

@phoenixofthetides: I know! It all comes full circle! Diabolical! Almost superhero like! =P

#28 Edited by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I think it would be a fantastic time for a (non bryan singer or brett ratner) director to step in make a movie about the original New Mutants. The X-Men are pretty much done at the end of X3 and they are likely to suck in DOFP. Seems like a win in the hands of a Claremont script and a good director.

#29 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see cyclops if they base it off his earlier character, but if its not Wolverine, its not happening.

#30 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@arinya said:

@rabbitearsblog: Has Colossus been in his own book? I just found out that Psylocke had her own mini series. I wonder if it's any good. Anyone read it?

I think Colossus had a solo series out a few years ago and so did all the other X-Men, but I guess none of them sold as well as Wolverine. The only solo comic that I heard had sold well was Mystique's solo series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.