Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Will Quire stay with Idie? Spoilers! Duh..

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

So I was at the comic shop and I saw a book with upcoming previews and one of the pictures of of Quire and Jean kissing.

What do you guys think of this??? I'm bummed. I liked Quire & Idie. But now he's creepin' around :/

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Djainess

Didn't this already happen in last issue of wolverine and the x men (in a dream, kinda)? Or was it a whole new scene?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've had like 3 fake make out covers since January in All new x-men alone it's ridiculous... odds are it'll be them talking about recent Phoenix crap or more then likely they'll walk into each other politely apologize and not share another panel for a year

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Hate to be Debbie Downer (well, actually i don't lol) but i hope the Purifiers v3 take a quick pit-stop at the JGS again for another bus massacre with Quire and Idie specially placed on the front-row seats. Aaron ruined them and Latour seems to be following in deft suite.

What happened to the days of an independent female character of X having being utilized in capacious capacity as opposed to being aptly placed in the all to conveniently vacant token girlfriend/love interest foil-slot for the typical tosser of the batch? They both need to get offed and resurrected in 50 years time because Idie could have been an amazing character but now she's Quentin Quire's girlfriend. And he is gross. Girl, develop some taste, broaden your horizons and move. on.

Course, i'd rather they just reboot an NXM v3 with Weir/DeFillipis/Yost/Kim at the helm and i know that won't happen.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What AgeofHurricane said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I don't understand why they're in a relationship in the first place. They have nothing in common, no chemistry (from what I've seen) and their personalities are vastly different.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Eh.. I don't get why people think Oya and Quire have nothing in common. To me they totally do.

• They're both unrepentant teenage killers that identify more with monsters than with heroes (or other kids).
    • They both have no family outside of the X-men (nor any real peers within the X-men).
    • They both named themselves after religious symbols of destruction.

Quire always seems to go for girls who he sees himself having no chance with (Sophie Cuckoo, Jean Grey, Bling), and Oya certainly has a very cold, distant side to her personality. And I could totally see why Oya, who sees herself as a monster, would see someone like Quire, who revels in his own villainy, as both someone she could identify with (she makes peace with being a monster like literally right after she meets him) and even be inspired by.

Honestly, even without any of the stories they've appeared in together, I could see why they would see each other as kindred spirits.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ageofhurricane: YES!!!! Completely agree. And while they are at it lets get rid Sharkgirl and Eyeboy and Sprite and stop by NXS and rid us of the Bendis creations

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djainess: whew, I was starting to think everyone had been drinking hurricane's kool-aid..

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

I don't understand why they're in a relationship in the first place. They have nothing in common, no chemistry (from what I've seen) and their personalities are vastly different.

The relationship was born during a near death experience, its based in more reality then a lot of other relationships.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most of the angst towards their relationship has to do more with some dislike of Quire as a character as opposed to hating Idie or them having a relationship period

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

The relationship was born during a near death experience, its based in more reality then a lot of other relationships.

that's another really good point.

@hawk2916 said:

I think most of the angst towards their relationship has to do more with some dislike of Quire as a character as opposed to hating Idie or them having a relationship period

That seems pretty likely (which I think is too bad, but then again people had much the same response to Gambit and Rogue for basically the same reason, and now everyone thinks of them as a classic couple).

That, and/or because Aaron's book was so weak overall that people don't want to give any credit to his ideas that did make sense.

Personally, I thought the relationships between Quire, Oya, Broo, and a few of the others were some of the more noteworthy aspects of his book, and I'm happy those characters have continued on in Latour's (much better) book.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Lol! Funny guy, but that's why i respect you.

Unfortunately in this case, your arguments for the pairing hardly merit any substantial water. Reason being: Idie's character has about 5% recognizable definition as of Latour's infinitesimal contribution. Under Aaron's pen she received zilch in the progressive development department and continued to stagnate as a one-note complimentary addition till the horrific Hellfire arc in which we got an image of a 14 y/o psychologically deranged girl sporting dominatrix gear just to save a friend. And i don't care what the reason was, that's just nasty and i hope Aaron never sets foot in the X-Office again. Anywho, Idie's character took a drastic turn for the worse when it was preordained that Quire would be her future love interest--on paper, she's an ostracized orphan who found salvation in The Lord and further personal empowerment/justification for her seeming predicament by endeavoring to become the modern exemplification of this renowned Orisha. That all flew right out the bloody window with WATXM and we never looked back. Who is Idie Okonkwo? Who is Quentin Quire? And i'm talking about the guy who's brain was teeming with a million/billion thoughts per second? Not this stupid, attention-seeking wannabe hipster tumblr dude-guy who claims to be Quentin. Seriously, they should have just sent him off packing when they kicked Morrison off.

Those are the questions that haunt me, cause as of 50 or so issues encompassing the escapades of the JGS, i'm still left scratching my head and it beggars pondering.

And lol, Latour's run so far is basically Aaron's except minus the wacky hijinks and morbidly forced humor. At the end of the day, this is just more of the same.

@hawk2916: You said it, brother.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Bit of both on my end. Her argument with Hisako in the recent WATXM had me like what??? If this is her character for the foreseeable then i don't wanna know.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: Yeah. I agree with everything you said there. Basically after seeing what Aaron did with Idie in the lingerie get up I came away trying to stop myself from feeling he needed to be on a certain list.

Though i never really cared for any of the 5 lights, if I had to pick Idie would be the one I would want to see developed. I just thought all the lights had lame power sets and were just a bit ridiculous. That said I think WATX messed the character up even more and didnt think that was possible.

Quire could possibly be an interesting character but he's been turned into a joke. Like you said just seeking attention in silly comic relief.

Latour's run in my opinion is just garbage. And i know some disagree and love him but imo he just took Aaron pointless drivel and added the Phoenix too it, while continuing the foolishness. In fact I would suspect that Latour is only "writing" a script that Aaron already developed.

Couple all that with the silly overtop JGS and it really has me wishing for the more simple X-mansion with the Blackbird's and all instead of the floating classrooms and Krakoa's (god how stupid)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Lol! Funny guy, but that's why i respect you.

Unfortunately in this case, your arguments for the pairing hardly merit any substantial water.

oh, of course not; how could my appreciation of a character depiction ever hold a candle to your sophisticated criticism?

I mean, your reasons for disliking both Quire and Aaron are so obviously objective that any appreciation of either must simply be the product of a confused and pitifully naive illiterate with no capacity for critical thought themselves. Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to enlighten me on why my opinion is so empirically inferior to your own.

Like a fool, I'd been stumbling around this whole time with the backward notion that opinions regarding styles of storytelling and character preference were largely a matter of personal taste and not the quantifiable mark of quality in themselves. I see now just how wrong I was.

can you ever forgive me?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By poisonfleur

1) I saw PANELS, NOT A TROLLING COVER. So does this mean Quire will break Idie's heart?

2) Idie and Quire are both beautifully drawn. I know they are minors but-- they look so cute together and represent diversity and acceptance among the x-men. Besides I adore these mixed couples.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    3) @oldnightcrawler said:

@djainess: whew, I was starting to think everyone had been drinking hurricane's kool-aid..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA!! THIS^^^

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Idie needs to go.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I hope not. Quire is one of the better mutants around and Idle is super uncool with her her lack of personality and born again christian stuff.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: Well if you saw panels, i'd still go with the trolling thing(daydream maybe?). WatX-Men and All New X-Men don't have much reason to crossover, so i think it'll be used as a plot device, since there's no way she'd be a major player in a Quentin story with all the character has going on right now.

@oldnightcrawler - Yea i didn't realize there was nearly this much controversy over this as there apparently is. But it seems to make sense that after surviving the hellfire club they came together. And it made sense that (ignoring the fact Aaron only really focused on them as individuals) Idie who embraces the school after finally overcoming her self-loathing would decide to help Quire, who she is now close too, to overcome his personal denial of the schools worth.....seemed simple and easy to me, and it was one of the things i liked that was developed from Aaron.

I really shouldn't be surprised that there's so much aggression surrounding Latour at the moment, since even though he's only exploring a character trait of two characters that have had important implications for years (Quire was shown as Phoenix in 04), and giving them a character arc to develop from.....Latour has managed to include: The Phoenix, Time Travel, Fantomex and Quentin Quire....four of the five most controversial things in modern X-Men all in his first story..... Technically it's 5 since we got a O5 cameo in one of the issues.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Next time I got, I'm just going to snap a picture with my phone or something LOL
    But it was a book with 2014 covers and unlettered panels.. with SPOILER ALERT!!

Thor and Loki and Angela

Storm and Callisto

and Quire kissing Jean while she is in her current green outfit. There was some fiery things around them which I can assume is only phoenix stuff. lol

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@hawk2916 said:

@ageofhurricane: Yeah. I agree with everything you said there. Basically after seeing what Aaron did with Idie in the lingerie get up I came away trying to stop myself from feeling he needed to be on a certain list.

Though i never really cared for any of the 5 lights, if I had to pick Idie would be the one I would want to see developed. I just thought all the lights had lame power sets and were just a bit ridiculous. That said I think WATX messed the character up even more and didnt think that was possible.

Quire could possibly be an interesting character but he's been turned into a joke. Like you said just seeking attention in silly comic relief.

Latour's run in my opinion is just garbage. And i know some disagree and love him but imo he just took Aaron pointless drivel and added the Phoenix too it, while continuing the foolishness. In fact I would suspect that Latour is only "writing" a script that Aaron already developed.

Couple all that with the silly overtop JGS and it really has me wishing for the more simple X-mansion with the Blackbird's and all instead of the floating classrooms and Krakoa's (god how stupid)

I know. I mean, how on Earth does anyone find sexual objectification of a blatantly vulnerable minor compelling? Being a Nigerian (not born but bred as i'm a second-gen Brit), i was so bloody excited to find out that aside from Shola Inkosi who's, as expected, gotten in line with the X-Lore's group of forgotten/unheard of/unused characters, we'd now be getting ANOTHER character of direct descent for the modern audience (though, Nezhno's surname is Abidemi which is Yoruba in origin, so....). And right off the bat, whilst i was bored to death by Gillen's Uncanny, his Gen Hope had a lot of gravitas and i quickly felt a beat within all characters save for Gabriel--but most of all Idie. Whilst it was a bit typical to go with the African-witch stereotype angle, it worked and even more so when she identified as Oya. And, at first, it looked like whilst she was at the JGS Aaron was giving her some credible development, but...not really. When Bradshaw came along and we had gotten past the formalities of the preliminary arc, she sounded really generic and Americanized, if that makes sense, in that characters who have migrated from different countries usually possess idiosyncratic nuanced speech patterns or a formal tone of speaking at the very least. It's just annoying how disjointed and incoherent everything seems and i'm left even more baffled when people are making sense of a puzzle that's glaringly missed gaping pieces. E.g, Where'd the idea for her new look come from? One minute she's arguing with Hisako about how they don't have time and the next minute she's all dolled up and ready for action. With no explanation.

Mhm. Latour's run isn't all that good. Hopefully it gets cancelled by issue 20 as sales continue to respectfully plummet.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane and @hawk2916

Not all of his creations were lame. I can see Sprite being a little lame since she is kind of a rip off of Pixie. Mudbug is a little lame. I thought Sharkgirl, Eyeboy, Triage, Tempus, Hijack, Benjamin Deeds, and Snot were lame at first but they grew on too me. A wereshark who pawned Mystique, a boy with a lot of eyes on his body that can see any type of energy invisible to human eyes and is good at marksmanship and can psychoanalyze anybody just by looking at their behaviors, A guy with the power of life force manipulation, a guy who can influence people to like him just by turning into them and can use those pheremones to disrupt technology and electronic devices, a guy with vehicular manipulation, a guy with super-powered snot. Basically, my point is that alot of people say that the creators are running out of ideas with the new mutants born after M-Day. I beg to differ. Not all of them are lame. Some of their powersets are cool.

Was Zero's powers lame to you? I can see how some of the Generation Hope's characters powers were lame because some people have already seen similar powers like that but to me Zero's power were something else entirely.

Eh.. I don't get why people think Oya and Quire have nothing in common. To me they totally do.

• They're both unrepentant teenage killers that identify more with monsters than with heroes (or other kids).
    • They both have no family outside of the X-men (nor any real peers within the X-men).
    • They both named themselves after religious symbols of destruction.

Quire always seems to go for girls who he sees himself having no chance with (Sophie Cuckoo, Jean Grey, Bling), and Oya certainly has a very cold, distant side to her personality. And I could totally see why Oya, who sees herself as a monster, would see someone like Quire, who revels in his own villainy, as both someone she could identify with (she makes peace with being a monster like literally right after she meets him) and even be inspired by.

Honestly, even without any of the stories they've appeared in together, I could see why they would see each other as kindred spirits.

Yeah, I thought that was weird that he was flirting with a lesbian or maybe I was overlooking that conversation between him and Bling!. Maybe he was just trying to impress her. I thought it was weird because he is an omega-level telepath. I mean why would he think that Bling! would turn straight just for him? Talk about desperate.

@hawk2916 said:

Bit of both on my end. Her argument with Hisako in the recent WATXM had me like what??? If this is her character for the foreseeable then i don't wanna know.

@hawk2916 said:

Yeah, I thought those arguments between her and Armor were OOC even for her.

On-Topic: At first, they did have a love triangle between KO, Broo, and Oya and she even said that she thinks she loves Broo, but all that was dropped in the Hellfire saga. Also, I thought by now, Idie is like 15 since I remember reading one recent comic issue involving Storm or someone else who said that AvX happened a year ago. So I thought everybody aged by one year. Because a lot of people are wondering how old is KO by now if he is dating a 14/15 year old. Also, I theorized that when he turned into a being of pure psionic energy, he never aged so that is probably why he looks the same as he did back then.

Other than that, Oya and Kid Omega are/were a beautiful couple. I have no problem with it.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HAWK2916

@ultimatekey: Sharkgirl is a ridiculous creation. All that you said about Eye-boy may be true but in a fight if I poked him in the eye or a gnat flew in he's done. Snot is so stupid, I really dont need words. Benjamin deeds is.....why? Triage is ok but we already have Elixir who hasnt been developed enough. Goldballs is also ridiculous. I like Tempus and Hijack.

Funny you mention Zero whom they chose to kill. Instead of someone like Teon or the so-called fast guy thats not fast. Transonic could be interesting with super speed - but then they had turn her into a flying fish or bullet.

I think its all a matter of preference but Im sorry I cant understand the love for Jason Aaron or some people's worship of Bendis.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I just reread Schism. Kid Omega is 16 years old. So that is not bad. A 14 year old and a 16 year old dating. Kid Omega is immature and Idie is mature for her age. There is nothing wrong with this, IMO.

Nolidoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Thank you! totally agree, and I would like to point out that they also have chemistry in the story to,when Idie almost burns a witch alive she asks Quentin if he'll tell on her he claims he wouldn't know what to say and says she knew he'd understand and he admits to himself that he does. Moments like this are kind of sprinkled throughout Aaron's run.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

I hope not. Idle is so boring they even code named her idle lol. Mindee Cuckoo and Quite would make the cutest couple! Please happen.

Pikachunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Quentin Quire is a strong, independent telepath who don't need no woman.

Plus, Idie is kinda annoying. She just irritates me insanely. But I can't really put my finger on what exactly about her it is...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.