Why won't Emma Frost teach Iceman how to use his powers?

#1 Posted by giantarms (181 posts) - - Show Bio
Iceman's powers were pushed to their limit while possessed by Emma Frost, who used Iceman to discover the fate of her Hellions. During this time Iceman was able to control all forms of moisture, freeze fluids inside people's bodies, travel as a liquid, solid or gas. Not even the combined might of the X-Men Gold team was able to stop Emma Frost in Iceman's body. Following this Bobby confronted Emma about how she was able to use his powers so effectively and while together they make some initial progress but she refuses to train him.[53 ] Instead he turns to Storm because they share similar elemental powers and she agrees to tutor him. 
 
Ok, what the hell? Emma Frost is a damned head instructor for the X-Men, but she refuses to teach Iceman? Is this true? Does no one on the X-Men give a crap?  
 
When Emma controlled him, not even the entire X-Men gold team could stop Iceman! So he could be THAT powerful, and Emma just flat out refuses to aid him? When this could have saved lives during the entire Second Coming act (and countless others)?
#2 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor writing.

#3 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@giantarms said:
Iceman's powers were pushed to their limit while possessed by Emma Frost, who used Iceman to discover the fate of her Hellions. During this time Iceman was able to control all forms of moisture, freeze fluids inside people's bodies, travel as a liquid, solid or gas. Not even the combined might of the X-Men Gold team was able to stop Emma Frost in Iceman's body. Following this Bobby confronted Emma about how she was able to use his powers so effectively and while together they make some initial progress but she refuses to train him.[53 ] Instead he turns to Storm because they share similar elemental powers and she agrees to tutor him.  Ok, what the hell? Emma Frost is a damned head instructor for the X-Men, but she refuses to teach Iceman? Is this true? Does no one on the X-Men give a crap?   When Emma controlled him, not even the entire X-Men gold team could stop Iceman! So he could be THAT powerful, and Emma just flat out refuses to aid him? When this could have saved lives during the entire Second Coming act (and countless others)?
He's not mature enough to handle that kind of power?
#4 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

There really is no good excuse. Cyclops needs to make her train Iceman. And although Iceman doesn't really want to be a superhero, he still needs to contribute to the survival of his race.

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
@giantarms said:
Iceman's powers were pushed to their limit while possessed by Emma Frost, who used Iceman to discover the fate of her Hellions. During this time Iceman was able to control all forms of moisture, freeze fluids inside people's bodies, travel as a liquid, solid or gas. Not even the combined might of the X-Men Gold team was able to stop Emma Frost in Iceman's body. Following this Bobby confronted Emma about how she was able to use his powers so effectively and while together they make some initial progress but she refuses to train him.[53 ] Instead he turns to Storm because they share similar elemental powers and she agrees to tutor him.  Ok, what the hell? Emma Frost is a damned head instructor for the X-Men, but she refuses to teach Iceman? Is this true? Does no one on the X-Men give a crap?   When Emma controlled him, not even the entire X-Men gold team could stop Iceman! So he could be THAT powerful, and Emma just flat out refuses to aid him? When this could have saved lives during the entire Second Coming act (and countless others)?
He's not mature enough to handle that kind of power?
I'm betting he'd adopt that required level maturity to save his friends and teammates. 
#6 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Emma, seems exactly the type of nasty spiteful thing she would do but then again that's just my perception of her.

#7 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@giantarms said:

Ok, what the hell? Emma Frost is a damned head instructor for the X-Men, but she refuses to teach Iceman? Is this true? Does no one on the X-Men give a crap?   When Emma controlled him, not even the entire X-Men gold team could stop Iceman! So he could be THAT powerful, and Emma just flat out refuses to aid him? When this could have saved lives during the entire Second Coming act (and countless others)?

He can and she did, before becoming a head mistress for the X-Men actually. It happened in Uncanny X-Men #331. Sorry but that article is lacking in research. 
He's displayed all of the listed abilities on his own since then.
 
There's also some confusion there. Emma is not a master at using ice elemental based powers, nor did Bobby need instruction in them.
The problem was he had a mental block inside his own mind prohibiting him from using his powers in full. Emma taught him how to conquer
that block in UXM#331.
#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
@TheCrowbar said:
@giantarms said:
Iceman's powers were pushed to their limit while possessed by Emma Frost, who used Iceman to discover the fate of her Hellions. During this time Iceman was able to control all forms of moisture, freeze fluids inside people's bodies, travel as a liquid, solid or gas. Not even the combined might of the X-Men Gold team was able to stop Emma Frost in Iceman's body. Following this Bobby confronted Emma about how she was able to use his powers so effectively and while together they make some initial progress but she refuses to train him.[53 ] Instead he turns to Storm because they share similar elemental powers and she agrees to tutor him.  Ok, what the hell? Emma Frost is a damned head instructor for the X-Men, but she refuses to teach Iceman? Is this true? Does no one on the X-Men give a crap?   When Emma controlled him, not even the entire X-Men gold team could stop Iceman! So he could be THAT powerful, and Emma just flat out refuses to aid him? When this could have saved lives during the entire Second Coming act (and countless others)?
He's not mature enough to handle that kind of power?
I'm betting he'd adopt that required level maturity to save his friends and teammates. 
I don't doubt he'd use the power to save his friends, but what about afterwards? That's the issue.
#9 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he can already do all that currently

#10 Posted by giantarms (181 posts) - - Show Bio

That's even more frustrating. 
 
That means Iceman is currently a team-buster, and can singlehandedly take down a team like Gold Team. Yet he's consistently taken out of the picture (like having a Nimrod burn him into medical watch: LOL) or never involved from the start. Sigh.

#11 Posted by SC (13119 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not that she won't and he probably really doesn't need her to now anyway (Iceman made a LOT of progress by himself under Mike Carey), and she's not the one who gets to decide to aid him anyway. Its all the writers in this scenario. Power regression or being lazy. I mean, its like, why won't Iceman teach Iceman how to do in Uncanny what he did in Legacy? Can we blame Iceman?  
 
Plus like another poster mentioned, some of that info isn't worded the best. I thought the Nimrod thing was okay, I mean, it could have been more specific and detailed, but my assumption was that the plasma attack was some sort of neutralizing agent that didn't actually burn him, or have the intent to burn him (unless maybe it was super, ultra heated in ways that can't be matched by current technology) but yeah, maybe it was working at neutralizing his powers/and or attacking on a sub molecular level (or basically just being a deus ex machina type attack, which is sort of okay here, because they are from the future and should possess technology that makes no sense to most people today yadda yadda) I mean, maybe, if Iceman was skilled and experienced enough, he could have snapped his own arm off and then reformed it... we have seen him blown up and return, but I haven't seen him consciously destroy himself to return (and maybe that's something that should stay in place for the immediate future)

Moderator
#12 Posted by Son Of Storm (11297 posts) - - Show Bio
If Emma did unlock the use of his full power then there would basically be no story. Just about any villain they come up against would be at his mercy. But that's just if he's actually written up to that potential. He'd probably be in the same boat with characters like Magneto and Storm. Extremely powerful mutants yet written like they're "common".
#13 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma is just a bitter English shrew who likes to manipulate and hurt people verbably and emotionally!! The only thing she is good at (besides the obvious) is being heartless!!
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92698 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992

Emma is just a bitter English shrew who likes to manipulate and hurt people verbably and emotionally!! The only thing she is good at (besides the obvious) is being heartless!!
She's not bitter. Nor a shrew, nor even English for that matter. Yes, she manipulates, but it's for the greater good. It's to HELP people. So please actually do your research on a character before spouting off statements that couldn't be more inaccurate.
Moderator
#15 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: as always she has answered your question  and because she is  b*iTc@h
#16 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hate posting scans, but it seems like many people never did their research, and like I said the summary here is incorrect, and it would be nice to set the record straight?
Excerpted from Uncanny X-Men #331:


 
1. She did teach Iceman how to use his powers, and he's had full access ever since
2. Personally, that doe's not look like the actions of an uncaring person or likewise, rather the opposite to me?
 
Ultimately everything a character is and does despite the characters potential is at the discretion of the writer, and thats that.
While Iceman didn't use his powers in full in several recent stories, he has in others.
Taking into account though that if most super powered characters used their powers as they could, it would make for a really short
read, especially given team scenario's.
#17 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE: This is why people should do more research :P
#18 Posted by daredevil21134 (11840 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992 said:
Emma is just a bitter English shrew who likes to manipulate and hurt people verbably and emotionally!! The only thing she is good at (besides the obvious) is being heartless!!
That was cold lol
#19 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
@papad1992

Emma is just a bitter English shrew who likes to manipulate and hurt people verbably and emotionally!! The only thing she is good at (besides the obvious) is being heartless!!
She's not bitter. Nor a shrew, nor even English for that matter. Yes, she manipulates, but it's for the greater good. It's to HELP people. So please actually do your research on a character before spouting off statements that couldn't be more inaccurate.

I was making a joke... I've been an X-fan for many years!! Just seeing how someone would reply because Emma Frost is a very touchy character that either most people love her or entirely hate her nothing in between!! I actually love her character, I wish there were more female characters with her business savy!!
#20 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay said:
It's Emma, seems exactly the type of nasty spiteful thing she would do but then again that's just my perception of her.
nailed it on the head hun. 
 
that  nasty insecure stuck up broad!
#21 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO @ all the Emma shade. ^_^
 
...IMO, Iceman couldn't handle controlling his powers at that exteme of a lvl yet....and I don't think Emma could properly teach him to do all that w/ just a few psy sessions. If she were that powerful, almost all the x-men would be omegas by now! So, no. lol 
 
   .....and we know how many of y'all hate on "ridiculously overpowered" mutants. #Jean *eyeroll*   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.