Why Wasn't Charles Xavier's Death Publicized?

#1 Posted by wisforwumbo (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I just discovered in the back up article of Uncanny X-Men #1 that Charles Xavier's death wasn't publicized. Most of the issue discusses methods and alternatives on how to end Scott's leadership role in the new mutant revolution. Magneto's suggestion in the issue is quite effective, but not as effective as dwindling Scott's support by making Xavier's death public. Cyclops influential essence would be replaced with utter detest--some might even consider him a hypocrite. So here's my question: why did the authorities keep Charles's death a secret?

#2 Posted by Avenger85 (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I remember reading that someone at Marvel said that Charles Xavier does not matter to them anymore. I think it was an article at IGN.com.

LOL that guy is the goddamn FOUNDER of the X-Men. Blatant laziness from Marvel.

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

Well I remember reading that someone at Marvel said that Charles Xavier does not matter to them anymore. I think it was an article at IGN.com.

By them you mean the public in the MU and not the company itself, correct?

#4 Edited by Teerack (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-Men and mutants look bad enough as it is. I don't think they want to add anything else to the list of crimes charged against Cyclops at least not on a public level.

#5 Edited by Avenger85 (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: They meant MArvel as the company. They wanted to focus on the students and teachers, no longer on the Professor. Basically they wanted him out of the picture.

But of course, please do correct me if I'm wrong. I think it was in the last comic-con.

#6 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

The X-Men and mutants look bad enough as it is. I don't think they want to add anything else to the list of crimes charged against Cyclops at least not on a public level.

that's probably it. Same reason Storm doesn't want to go after Cyclops in All New X-men #1, it'll just make them all look worse.

#7 Posted by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

@KnightRise: They meant MArvel as the company. They wanted to focus on the students and teachers, no longer on the Professor. Basically they wanted him out of the picture.

But of course, please do correct me if I'm wrong. I think it was in the last comic-con.

Hmm, the most recent con (I went to) was NYCC and AvX wasn't finished yet so I'm not sure. But regardless, the OP means why wasn't the death made public within the story, not like publicized on the news in the real world.

#8 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7200 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Just goes to show how sh*t Marvel's current head creative team really is. Founder of the X-Men not even good enough to receive the time of day. For shame, Marvel. For shame.

#9 Posted by Avenger85 (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Yeah they messed it all up. To them, Xavier is just a baldy on a wheelchair who can read people's minds.

#10 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Xavier far outlived his usefulness. How many times has he 'died' now?

#11 Posted by Avenger85 (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph: I understand that, but man, that guy is the founder of the X-Men. They should have just made him retire or something, instead of just wiping him off the map lol.

#12 Posted by wisforwumbo (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack thanks. I literally thought of this about 2 minutes after posting the tread lol. But, you're right, that has to be the reason.

#13 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarkxSeraph: I understand that, but man, that guy is the founder of the X-Men. They should have just made him retire or something, instead of just wiping him off the map lol.

Fair enough.
#14 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Lol. Just goes to show how sh*t Marvel's current head creative team really is. Founder of the X-Men not even good enough to receive the time of day. For shame, Marvel. For shame.

Well said Hurricane. Could not have put it better myself.

#15 Posted by Cap10nate (1880 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Marvel need to publicize it? It's not like they could publicize it before it happened since it was supposed to be a shocking event in AVX, and that would have spoiled it. Then, everybody knew it happened after the issue was released so there really wasn't a need for publicity then either. Uncanny Avengers had part of the memorial service, and his death led to the Red Skull receiving all his power in UA. The only other thing that they could have really done is do a One Shot with the full memorial service.

#16 Posted by judasnixon (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't bother me ether way. I always thought that Professor X was kind of a Dick.....

#17 Posted by XsPectre28 (667 posts) - - Show Bio

as far as X-men are concerned Marvel is giving them the shaft guess its because of the x-men movies not doing so well & avengered skyrocketed but what do u expect with badly written movies..... Professor X is just as relevant as any of the other among the X-men. i feel that he shouldnt have died but joined the Avengers or Shield or went off with Legion & started a new school or team. if none of those id like for a fully & respectable reprisal of his Onslaught character/persona..... would be good to see Xavier as a full on self aware villain

#18 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's died too many times for anyone to actually care.

On to the next one..

#19 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Because last year marvel couldn't care less about the X-men.

#20 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

I think he'd essentially been retired for some time now, prior to his death. As much as I disliked AvsX, at least they made his death significant to the current landscape.

Although, I do still think it was a weird choice to have his funeral in an Avengers book and not an X-men one, but I guess they wanted to show that his legacy was bigger than just the X-men.

#21 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@XsPectre28 said:

as far as X-men are concerned Marvel is giving them the shaft guess its because of the x-men movies not doing so well & avengered skyrocketed but what do u expect with badly written movies..... Professor X is just as relevant as any of the other among the X-men. i feel that he shouldnt have died but joined the Avengers or Shield or went off with Legion & started a new school or team. if none of those id like for a fully & respectable reprisal of his Onslaught character/persona..... would be good to see Xavier as a full on self aware villain

This.

Marvel is favoring Avengers over the X-Men anyways... why not kill their founder and make the boy scout of the team a full on mutant revolutionist and make their least-likely character tone down and become headmaster... it's all too alienate the X-Men and its fans and make Avengers look like America's, actually the world's, heroes!

#22 Posted by TheCasketFiller (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not think that Charles Xavier's usefulness has ended, I think they could have made him relevant again. With all the X-books they have I'm sure they could have found a place for him. and it doesn't feel right that the funeral was not in an x-book at all.

#23 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCasketFiller said:

I do not think that Charles Xavier's usefulness has ended, I think they could have made him relevant again. With all the X-books they have I'm sure they could have found a place for him. and it doesn't feel right that the funeral was not in an x-book at all.

pretty much agree with all of this. The weird thing about the funeral is that, even with all of the X-books out at the time, I can't really think of what book it should have been in; It's a bit like the X-men didn't have a main book at that time. Then again, they really haven't done anything of substance in the last four issues of adjectiveless X-men, so why couldn't it have been in that? oh well, whatever; I guess it is sort of important to the story in Uncanny Avengers so far..

#24 Posted by CTG (228 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

Actually, they said that at this point in time, Professor X is more useful dead than alive. He's a bigger part of the current X-Men landscape now than he's been in the last few years.

#25 Posted by Avenger85 (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

@CTG: Ahh ok thanks for correcting me there...

#26 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Yep.

#27 Posted by poisonfleur (2708 posts) - - Show Bio

@IllyanaRasputin said:

Because he's died too many times for anyone to actually care.

On to the next one..

HAHAAAAAAA!!^^^^

Unless your name is Jean Grey-- Nobody really cares if you die and comeback and die again.

It's no miracle-- these are comics we are talking about here. lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.