Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why the Cover up (Rogue)?

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blacharrt1

I understand old habits die hard, but why is Rogue so covered up? I mean she now has control of her powers, and yet she still wears gloves all the time, along with a full jacket and pant that reveal no skin. I'm not saying she dress like a complete tramp but you would think if you were confined to a sweaty suit just to be around other human beings all the time and you didn't have to anymore... You would shed some of those layers.

At least take off the gloves and wear some leggings or shorts or something...

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GonnaRain

Well, to be fair, most of the women in the XX cover are as covered up, is not more, than her. But it may just have to do with her style, it's her way to dress, without having much to do with her powers. And in my opinion, her last outfit looks cool.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blacharrt1

@GonnaRain: Well it's not just the XX cover, but Uncanny Avengers being the latest series she is in, she is all covered up, when really there is no logical reason for her to be. Actually it would save more time when she wanted to use her powers to have far less clothing on.

Like for example they could redesign her outfit as an sleeveless hoodie jacket for starters. Maybe some leggings, with some boots, idk.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Target_X

Maybe she just likes being clothed and not half naked? Strange for a woman in comic books, I know!!! <.<

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Blood1991

Rogue is one of Marvel's most important female characters in terms of being relatable to women and most women don't run around in thigh high heels and a leotard.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Target_X said:

Maybe she just likes being clothed and not half naked? Strange for a woman in comic books, I know!!! <.<

true

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By karrob

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Target_X said:

true

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lykopis

@Blood1991 said:

Rogue is one of Marvel's most important female characters in terms of being relatable to women and most women don't run around in thigh high heels and a leotard.

It's hard for some to understand that. Perhaps this is the beginning of the end...OH NOES!!!!!!

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blood1991

@lykopis said:

@Blood1991 said:

It's hard for some to understand that. Perhaps this is the beginning of the end...OH NOES!!!!!!

THE END IS NIGH!

Anyway.....

BLAMMM All female X-Book!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By TheCrowbar

Cause she's no longer bullet proof.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blacharrt1

@Blood1991 said:

No Caption Provided

When she was Depowered in Xtreme she ran around with a leather vest and jeans, and still kicked Mutant teen ass. She was had her edge back. She also had that cool tattoo.

I'm not saying she has to be naked or in a leotard, but show some arms.. something, it's more practical even for the use of her powers.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blood1991

@Blacharrt1: Clothes are sexy

besides the above book shows it isn't just her. Alot of Marvel heroines are covering up.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Pyrogram

@Blood1991: damn, dat pose!

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blood1991

@Pyrogram: The only good thing to come from AVX :p

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blacharrt1

@Blood1991 said:

besides the above book shows it isn't just her. Alot of Marvel heroines are covering up.

... it's a little different being that, Rogue has been covering up the majority of her showings... Do i need to break out a poster of all her former outfits, some of which are just variations of the same outfit, like her current one is a variation of the older one she had before she had Ms. Marvel's powers.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Pyrogram

@Blood1991:

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blood1991

@Blacharrt1 said:

@Blood1991 said:

... it's a little different being that, Rogue has been covering up the majority of her showings... Do i need to break out a poster of all her former outfits, some of which are just variations of the same outfit, like her current one is a variation of the older one she had before she had Ms. Marvel's powers.

One of the things I'm happy Marvel has done is keep Rogue out of the swimsuit costumes. Yes most of her outfits follow the same theme, but after she regained her powers she could have went straight to the swimsuit, but she didn't. It showed strength of character in my opinion for her to have grown to accept herself control over her powers or not and be confident in the person she was and has become. That's how I see it anyway.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blacharrt1

@Blood1991 said:

@Blacharrt1 said:

@Blood1991 said:

One of the things I'm happy Marvel has done is keep Rogue out of the swimsuit costumes. Yes most of her outfits follow the same theme, but after she regained her powers she could have went straight to the swimsuit, but she didn't. It showed strength of character in my opinion for her to have grown to accept herself control over her powers or not and be confident in the person she was and has become. That's how I see it anyway.

I'm not saying put her in a swimsuit... i saying, let her take off the gloves and go short sleeve. Where are you getting this swimsuit thing from?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blood1991

@Blacharrt1: Why expose her arms? Now I'm not understanding where you are coming from. Why does having sleeves or not having sleeves matter? I mean as long as she can remove her gloves she can use her powers so I don't see what the point would be.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blacharrt1

@Blood1991 said:

@Blacharrt1: Why expose her arms? Now I'm not understanding where you are coming from. Why does having sleeves or not having sleeves matter? I mean as long as she can remove her gloves she can use her powers so I don't see what the point would be.

SHE DOESN'T NEED GLOVES.... she doesn't need anything on her arms she could go sleeveless, like she did with the Ms. marvel outfit (But she wore long gloves with those) she used to wear or the leather jacket she used to wear. I stated that already but clearly you didn't read that, and just assumed i meant she had to be naked in a swimsuit. i suggested Leggings, and boots which is also what she wore with the leather sleeveless jacket. Her powers would be more practically used without gloves now, it's nonsense for her to even have them.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blood1991

@Blacharrt1 said:

@Blood1991 said:

SHE DOESN'T NEED GLOVES.... she doesn't need anything on her arms she could go sleeveless, like she did with the Ms. marvel outfit (But she wore long gloves with those) she used to wear or the leather jacket she used to wear. I stated that already but clearly you didn't read that, and just assumed i meant she had to be naked in a swimsuit. i suggested Leggings, and boots which is also what she wore with the leather sleeveless jacket. Her powers would be more practically used without gloves now, it's nonsense for her to even have them.

Dude calm down jeez I misread you not a reason to get upset. Well ok she doesn't need gloves or her jacket, but why change the look? It is kinda her thing.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blacharrt1

@Blood1991: I used caps with the gloves because that's my main point not because i was upset, but you seemed to be missing that very point.

Well because her powers changed, that is major character development. And I think with this development you would think she would be less inclined to cover her hands and arms up if she doesn't have to.

I happen to like the jacket. i don't think you even need to change the green and white theme because it works for her, but she has changed, and her outfit should reflect that, but as i said this current outfit is just a variation of the first outfit she had as a villain.. but doesn't really show depth or change at all. It just shows that she's stuck in the past, in my opinion. I though the AvX battle with the Avengers was solely to express that she had embraced her past but was evolving in her character, and i don't think the outfit reflects that.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Blood1991

@Blacharrt1 said:

@Blood1991: I used caps with the gloves because that's my main point not because i was upset, but you seemed to be missing that very point.

Well because her powers changed, that is major character development. And I think with this development you would think she would be less inclined to cover her hands and arms up if she doesn't have to.

I happen to like the jacket. i don't think you even need to change the green and white theme because it works for her, but she has changed, and her outfit should reflect that, but as i said this current outfit is just a variation of the first outfit she had as a villain.. but doesn't really show depth or change at all. It just shows that she's stuck in the past, in my opinion. I though the AvX battle with the Avengers was solely to express that she had embraced her past but was evolving in her character, and i don't think the outfit reflects that.

Glad we cleared that up. I covered how I liked that she kept her look gloves and all already. I think it says alot about her holding onto part of herself that was closed off because she couldn't touch anyone. A reminder of where she comes from and how she got to where she is. I almost can't imagine her without gloves. Sleeves sure, but the gloves seem almost as iconic as her white streaks.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XsPectre28

because they are not fictional characters, depicting strong women not objects. the writers 7 artists want u to like these characters for who they are & what they represent not how much or how little clothing they have on

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blacharrt1

@XsPectre28 said:

because they are not fictional characters, depicting strong women not objects. the writers 7 artists want u to like these characters for who they are & what they represent not how much or how little clothing they have on

How is it that even after i have clarified over and over again, that it's not about her being naked or objectified but about a practical outfit that works with her powers, and expansion of the character's develop that should be considered. The Whole point of wearing an outfit that literally covered her entire body except her face was so she didn't accidentally steal people's life essence or their powers.

No Caption Provided

This is somewhat the idea i suggested, sleeveless vest or shirt, but without gloves.. so where are you getting this idea from?

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By XsPectre28

first off i wasnt blasting u just the fact that this is the fourth topic basically suggesting similar outcome. just because her powers are truly hers to control doesnt necessarily mean her costume has to change. obviously she gets better praise with the covered up look as the look u are refering to didnt last long at all nor has it been reused in any fashion. rogue has had full control of her power for how long now... & even thou her costume has changed since then it still sticks to the same covered up theme & it works... thats & i said what i said because at one point ALL OF THE WOMEN ON THIS TEAM save rachel, shadowcat, & jubilee have had been in skimpy costumes or a costume that had left little to the imagination in other words objectifying them. yup rogue to when she had the classic green & yellow costume with the brown jacket. it was still covered up but super skin tight the only thing they didn't show was the nipple & camel toe print thru it!!!!!!

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chasereis

@Blacharrt1: she used to wear a green one piece bathing suit with green knee boots over a full body black body suit...be grateful.

lulz

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blacharrt1

@XsPectre28 said:

first off i wasnt blasting u just the fact that this is the fourth topic basically suggesting similar outcome. just because her powers are truly hers to control doesnt necessarily mean her costume has to change. obviously she gets better praise with the covered up look as the look u are refering to didnt last long at all nor has it been reused in any fashion. rogue has had full control of her power for how long now... & even thou her costume has changed since then it still sticks to the same covered up theme & it works... thats & i said what i said because at one point ALL OF THE WOMEN ON THIS TEAM save rachel, shadowcat, & jubilee have had been in skimpy costumes or a costume that had left little to the imagination in other words objectifying them. yup rogue to when she had the classic green & yellow costume with the brown jacket. it was still covered up but super skin tight the only thing they didn't show was the nipple & camel toe print thru it!!!!!!

i get where you are coming from, however! Rogue also with the change in her powers is suppose to have grown as a character as well. Storm for example changes her costumes depending on her state of mind or life at that particular moment. For example after she was seemingly killed and Cable discovered her alive, she Confronted mikhail, and Callisto, and when it was resolve she decided to change her hair and her outfit to reflect that.

As i mentioned earlier, Rogue's current outfit is just a variation of the old one she had went she fought the Avengers as a villain. All covered up and Hooded, and they even have her in uncanny avenger as hooded, it's a horrible look, it doesn't reflect the change that was suppose to happen in her confrontation with the Avengers in AvX, or the change in her powers which were a major development.

You can honestly look at the picture i added with my reply to your post and say she was being objectified, she looks like a biker chick, which is pretty bad ass. Especially with the tattoo. As far as the posting of the XX cover wasn't to highlight any other X woman but to show that the look hasn't progressed at all. Rogue besides Storm has had more face time in the X-franchise than anyone else on that cover, it's shameful that can't come up with a look for her that is more practical for her new powers, and her development as a character.

@chasereis: that was a really horrible look, so was the Ms. Marvel look, that didn't work for her at all.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@Blood1991 said:

I Prefer this look to her newer costume from uncanny avengers, he current one looks like she's ready for winter since her hood is up 90% of the time. I like that marvel has been covering up a lot of their female characters like Psylocke and captain marvel Finally the bathing suit age is over.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she needed to cover up cause she couldnt accidently touch them absorb or kill them....why is psylocke all covered up she used to show all maybe there getting to old..lol

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DarkxSeraph

I actually like the throwback look. Does she HAVE to be in skintight/skin showing attire to look/be B.A.? She pulls it off without it.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By SupremeHyperion

Because gloves have become part of her iconic look.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because now it's her choice and not a requirement. It's almost a sign of her empowerment that she chooses to wear her older costume when it is nothing but a fashion decision versus being a safety precaution.

I prefer full body costumes and body armor, though, so don't really think superheroines need to show any skin considering their activities.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By lorex

Given the trouble with her powers in the past being covered up the way she could probably be a kind of security blanket for her in the past and now it has become a part of who she is and her image among the X-Men. Also given how difficuly it has been to gain control of her powers there has to be some part of her that wonders if that control will just go away at any time and the cover is there just in case.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.