Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why isn't Cyclops in X-Men: First Class?

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gambitpryde1993

I recently read the "Finals" arc from X-men first class and some of the older Roy Thomas Uncanny X-Men and was hoping for a nice origin movie with Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, Beast with some Banshee, Havok, Mimic thrown in... However, Bryan Singer says Cyclops and Marvel Girl aren't gonna be in First Class. This is middle finger to all X-Men fans. I don't really like Cyclops. He's kinda insecure and stiff, but his shades are cool btw. Also, he is the original X-Man, has never died, and is the most dedicated to Xavier's dream. Why is he not in this movie and 2000s mutants like Darwin and Angel Salvadore in a movie set in the 1960s. Fire away, Comic Viners :)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

Its because Fox is filled with a bunch of douche bags who clearly don't give a sh!t about the actual fans of xmen

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By agent9149

because they dont know what the meaning of a quality movie is..never trust fox to do a good movie

Avatar image for daredevilwithoutfear
    Daredevilwithoutfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because of Fox That is why Cyclops is not in the movie

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1.  Bryan Singer doesn't like Cyclops such like how   Sam Raimi doesn't like Venom 
    2. Fox doesn't care about making a good ComicBook Movie. 
    3. Fox and Bryan Singer such wants to make money.  
    4. Fox likes to flood these  X-Men  movies with characters that does belong(Go watch X-Men Origins Wolverine. It is a good example of this reason)
     5. This movie is not about X-Men: First Class, It is about X-Men: Fox Cass also  known as X-Men: Hi I'm Bryan Singer and I don't care about making a good comic book movie I  such want to make money and X-Men: Hi we are Fox and we don't care about what you think of our movie, this is our movie and we can do watever  we want with it, so grow up.

gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gambitpryde1993
    @Incredible Hulk-Prime:  I don't Singer's the problem. He did good with the first two movies. X2 is one of my favorite comic book movies

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mutant God

Maybe at the end most of the X-Men are going to die in battle and Xavier is going to decide to make mutants into students instead of soldiers
    Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gambitpryde1993:  
    he messed up Superman in Superman Returns.
    danielddavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danielddavis

Brian Singer must secretly hate Cyclops.

gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gambitpryde1993
    @danielddavis:  I know. He made Toad beat him in the first movie, and then he was captured  by Styker in X2. Plus he got no screen time, but I liked his repartee with Wolverine in X-Men.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Captain13

Probably because the film is set in the 1960s.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @joshmightbe said:
    " Its because Fox is filled with a bunch of douche bags who clearly don't give a sh!t about the actual fans of xmen "
    Amen!
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gambitpryde1993
    @Captain13:  If it was in the 60s, the lineup would be cyclops, beast, marvel girl, iceman, and angel with maybe mimic and banshee. Magneto would be a good villain w/ toad, blob, quicksilver, scarlet witch and the old school brotherhood. maybe some vanisher or unus the untouchable action?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Captain13
    @gambitpryde1993: Yeah, but if the events of the first X-Movie takes place in the 2000s, then most of the characters in the Fox-X-Movie-Verse aren't old enough to be in First Class, unless they time travel or something.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Green Skin

It's because  they've said they are taking a queue  from the last Star Trek movie, so we are most likely going to see an alternate universe.  So ultimately this isn't going to be a movie about the 616 X-Men, so they can mess around with the lineup all they want.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Studio executives are actually a bunch of sadistic and incompetent Twilight vampires that hate all Cyclops fans.

LaryKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LaryKing

I cant exactly explain how stupid some people are that keep cyclops out of xmen movies.It'd be like keeping Captain america out of Avengers :Age Of Ultron,and they'd never do that, .Oh,and they're stupid,sadistic ,mazohistic.It's just unfair,they only spotlight whores and bootyholes like wolverine and storm and they keep cyclops out of this?! HOW IS THAT FRICKIN'POSSIBLE(sorry for the language)

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laryking: Ehm, Larry you have answered to a topic 4 years old…

LaryKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: and you just ansered to guy who answered to a topic 4 years ago. :) i don't really care how much old is the topic,as long as i say my opinion :D

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

pfft.. whatever.

X-Men: First Class was still a great movie, better than most superhero movies, and a better X-men story than most of the comics.

It would be virtually impossible for movies to be made that followed the same continuity as the comics, and no one should need to know 50 years of convoluted continuity to enjoy a 2 hour movie anyway, so it just makes more sense to create their own continuity.

What 'First Class did with the mythology is probably the most interesting the X-men have been in almost ten years, it may not be perfect, but it's something they couldn't have done if they were slaves to the source material.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cattlebattle

@oldnightcrawler said:

pfft.. whatever.

X-Men: First Class was still a great movie, better than most superhero movies, and a better X-men story than most of the comics.

It would be virtually impossible for movies to be made that followed the same continuity as the comics, and no one should need to know 50 years of convoluted continuity to enjoy a 2 hour movie anyway, so it just makes more sense to create their own continuity.

What 'First Class did with the mythology is probably the most interesting the X-men have been in almost ten years, it may not be perfect, but it's something they couldn't have done if they were slaves to the source material.

I agree. The relationship between Xavier and Magneto between the time they meet in Isreal and the the time of X-Men 1 is not really ever revealed. They meet once shortly after Xavier is crippled and that's about it.....

The "First Class" film did a brilliant job of showing these two being young with a not so great handle on their powers. I also thought it was neat that they work with the government to form a team before Xavier actually forms the X-Men, it has more logic as Xavier wouldn't really just know the logistics of training a group super heroes with military style tactics unless he himself learned from somewhere. Same with Magneto, most world dictators and terrorists have some sort of military or government background......also, Magneto the Nazi hunter??? Yes, more of that.

At any rate the funniest thing is how much people complain about the X-men films but fail to understand how many ideas actually get incorporated from the films into the comics. They have actually had quite a significant impact.

Finally, Cyclops isn't always a necessary component to the X-Men.....I can't say this enough, but during the X-Mens "renaissance", which would be the 80s-the very early 90s, Cyclops wasn't even on the team. He was busy being super boring in the less than stellar "X-Factor" series.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. The relationship between Xavier and Magneto between the time they meet in Isreal and the the time of X-Men 1 is not really ever revealed. They meet once shortly after Xavier is crippled and that's about it.....

The "First Class" film did a brilliant job of showing these two being young with a not so great handle on their powers. I also thought it was neat that they work with the government to form a team before Xavier actually forms the X-Men, it has more logic as Xavier wouldn't really just know the logistics of training a group super heroes with military style tactics unless he himself learned from somewhere. Same with Magneto, most world dictators and terrorists have some sort of military or government background......also, Magneto the Nazi hunter??? Yes, more of that.

I'm also a big fan of how they made Mystique such a central character to the story. The relationships she has to Xavier, Magneto, and Beast create a much stronger and interesting group dynamic than what the original team in the comics had. And, in a story that's about people being persecuted for their otherness, I think it makes it a lot stronger to have at least one character who isn't just another white guy to see both sides of the thing.

Some might say these relationships change her character too much from the original, but I like the change, honestly. And given how much her character evolved in the ten years between 'First Class and DoFP, it wouldn't even be that incongruous to see her hardened into a more recognizable version of the character by the next film.

At any rate the funniest thing is how much people complain about the X-men films but fail to understand how many ideas actually get incorporated from the films into the comics. They have actually had quite a significant impact.

Finally, Cyclops isn't always a necessary component to the X-Men.....I can't say this enough, but during the X-Mens "renaissance", which would be the 80s-the very early 90s, Cyclops wasn't even on the team. He was busy being super boring in the less than stellar "X-Factor" series.

Yeah. Cyclops is one of the most interesting characters in the X-men's mythos, but he's certainly not integral to it. The best the comics were was in the 80's, like you say, when he was hardly around, and even in the 90's he was one of the least interesting characters.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also a big fan of how they made Mystique such a central character to the story. The relationships she has to Xavier, Magneto, and Beast create a much stronger and interesting group dynamic than what the original team in the comics had. And, in a story that's about people being persecuted for their otherness, I think it makes it a lot stronger to have at least one character who isn't just another white guy to see both sides of the thing.

Some might say these relationships change her character too much from the original, but I like the change, honestly. And given how much her character evolved in the ten years between 'First Class and DoFP, it wouldn't even be that incongruous to see her hardened into a more recognizable version of the character by the next film.

Well put. I like the way Mystique is in the comics just fine, she can be cold and calculating but endearing to her friends and as you know, I am a fan of the Claremont run so I always loved her when she was political minded and used her government pardon to achieve her own ends.....which I don't think was ever revealed if she had an end game. However, I am completely ok with the change in the films. I think the writers and directors like Matthew Vaughn and Bryan Singer worry more about delivering a good story and good film rather than just being a highlight reel of fan service.

With that said, I think the Mystique portrayal in the movie is great. The X-Men have so many characters that are essentially super models with powers that it is good to show what the struggle of one with a more physical deformity would be like and all the while having her be centric to the story, rather than have a film where she is just a one note villain like so many other comic films.

I also thought it clever how they explained Beast turning blue was a side effect of a serum he derived from Mystiques DNA, it makes more sense than him just randomly turning blue.

Yeah. Cyclops is one of the most interesting characters in the X-men's mythos, but he's certainly not integral to it. The best the comics were was in the 80's, like you say, when he was hardly around, and even in the 90's he was one of the least interesting characters.

Eh, never really cared for Slim. He has been around for 50 years now and was only really interesting for 12 of them.....that is like 24%,...and the whole thing he is interesting for is a mutant revolution that really any character could have been the front of....it's not really incumbent for his character or anything. I mean, Cable would have felt more organic in the role Cyclops is in right now.....but that, my friend, is another argument altogether.

So yeah, I firmly believe that if the X-Men cartoons didn't exist and all you had was the way the characters were presented in the comics to go by, nobody would give a crap about Cyclops and he probably would have been written out of the series somehow by now.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well put. I like the way Mystique is in the comics just fine, she can be cold and calculating but endearing to her friends and as you know, I am a fan of the Claremont run so I always loved her when she was political minded and used her government pardon to achieve her own ends.....which I don't think was ever revealed if she had an end game. However, I am completely ok with the change in the films. I think the writers and directors like Matthew Vaughn and Bryan Singer worry more about delivering a good story and good film rather than just being a highlight reel of fan service.

With that said, I think the Mystique portrayal in the movie is great. The X-Men have so many characters that are essentially super models with powers that it is good to show what the struggle of one with a more physical deformity would be like and all the while having her be centric to the story, rather than have a film where she is just a one note villain like so many other comic films.

I also thought it clever how they explained Beast turning blue was a side effect of a serum he derived from Mystiques DNA, it makes more sense than him just randomly turning blue.

yeah, that was really clever. I also actually liked that it was her power that gave him the power to choose to be a mutant or not, and that ultimately he chooses to. It actually does more for his character that he chooses to than that he simply has no choice. It's kind of one of many ways that Mystique's character represents choice, despite seemingly having the least.

honestly, Mystique was always one of my favorite's from the comics, but even with every film version being pretty different (both from the comic and each other), she still stands as one of the most intriguing characters in all of the films, and now that i think about it, one of the most complex and compelling characters in any superhero movie. For female characters, almost certainly the most.

I firmly believe that if the X-Men cartoons didn't exist and all you had was the way the characters were presented in the comics to go by, nobody would give a crap about Cyclops and he probably would have been written out of the series somehow by now.

I dunno.. I grew up with Cyclops being a dull jerk in X-men classic and a boring yes-man for Xavier in the 90's books, and was never a fan of the cartoons, but I liked him in Whedon's run quite a bit.. and despite not liking most X-men comics since Whedon, I've actually liked Cyclops more and more since then.

I don't see him as being as essential to the really classic stories, but he's one of the characters who's actually become more compelling over time, if only for how singular his story is to the stories.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I attribute that to his development being handled probably the best of most major characters. its been a slow burn, growing from yes-man field leader, to real leader of the team, to leader of a people. It hasn't been big sudden changes like we often see when editors want to take a character in a new direction, its been a slow development that, regardless of if you like or dislike the direction the x-books take, has made sense in regards to the world around him.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't necessarily agree with how some of the characters are portrayed in the movies or even some of plotlines, I have to agree about Mystique. I hate it when some writers just make a her a one note generic villain just evil for the hell of it. I've always seen her as more complex than that and have always put her in the same category as Magneto. In fact her Brotherhood in my opinion should be the by any means necessary terroristic type team that at times Xforce has claimed to be but ultimately fallen short of. If there wasnt so much switching sides and villains becoming heroes right now I would say she'd be a perfect candidate for Cyclops Uncanny team. She at least would fit well with Cable in an Xforce themed book. I think movie got her right as far as its portrayal

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cattlebattle

@oldnightcrawler said:

honestly, Mystique was always one of my favorite's from the comics, but even with every film version being pretty different (both from the comic and each other), she still stands as one of the most intriguing characters in all of the films, and now that i think about it, one of the most complex and compelling characters in any superhero movie. For female characters, almost certainly the most.

Definitely. Things where Magneto convinces her that she should not hide who she is great stuff....and considering these are the characters that become major villains is all the more impressive when you consider that these are comic movies. In most other comic films they attempt to make the villain sympathetic, but, they often come off as one dimensional.

@oldnightcrawler said:

I dunno.. I grew up with Cyclops being a dull jerk in X-men classic and a boring yes-man for Xavier in the 90's books, and was never a fan of the cartoons, but I liked him in Whedon's run quite a bit.. and despite not liking most X-men comics since Whedon, I've actually liked Cyclops more and more since then.

I don't see him as being as essential to the really classic stories, but he's one of the characters who's actually become more compelling over time, if only for how singular his story is to the stories.

I don't not like Cyclops. I like him just fine. He is written very well in Whedons run and is essential to Morrisons run.... I just think he falls under the archetype of the generic leader character and seeing as there is so many other interesting characters out there that could do his job, I just don't see why they don't try to use someone else, but, I guess they try not to make any drastic changes in Marvel, when they do, they don't last long anyways. Also, a big part of his character is always often linked to whatever woman he is dating, whether it Jean, Madelyne or Emma, the only reason he is important sometimes is because he happens to be linked to someone else, not on his own merit as a a character.

@hawk2916 said:

In fact her Brotherhood in my opinion should be the by any means necessary terroristic type team that at times Xforce has claimed to be but ultimately fallen short of. If there wasnt so much switching sides and villains becoming heroes right now I would say she'd be a perfect candidate for Cyclops Uncanny team.

That.....is an excellent idea. One of my favorite things about the 80s X-men was that all the villains had goals. Mystiques Brotherhood was a very political oriented terrorist group that became government employees that threw their credentials around as Freedom Force. It was great, they were essentially kind of the first "Suicide Squad" and seeing as that team is popular right now, they might as well try to get a X-book spin off similar to that theme, although as Freedom Force they were more like officers than agents. Mystiques Brotherhood was quite formidable as well, they defeated the X-Men more than once (thanks mostly to Destiny), defeated Magneto (thanks mostly to Spiral) and even managed to go toe to toe with the Avengers more than once.

I think a lot of Mystiques old team is dead or gone in some capacity but I would pay money to see Mystique reform a team of Blob, Avalanche, Spiral, although, I seem to recall Spiral only worked with them to track Longshot....anyways, maybe throw Toad on there and then have them take on missions like X-Force has to go on. I would just honestly like to see them as government officials again rather than on an X-team though. It would be something different.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HAWK2916

@cattlebattle: Government officials working from within to bring it down? I like the suicide squad idea. I've even thought it would be interesting to have Mystique somehow convince Bishop to join by playing on his need/desire for redemption. Him along with Weapon Omega would fit the redemption idea well, even Blink could add something there.

"I think a lot of Mystiques old team is dead or gone in some capacity but I would pay money to see Mystique reform a team of Blob, Avalanche, Spiral, although, I seem to recall Spiral only worked with them to track Longshot....anyways, maybe throw Toad on there and then have them take on missions like X-Force has to go on. I would just honestly like to see them as government officials again rather than on an X-team though. It would be something different."

I love that idea of reforming the Brotherhood and making it formidable. Having Blob and Toad back would be cool and even Sabretooth if we get past all this inversion/new wolverine stuff. But really my thought was a roster of: Mystique, Blob, Toad, Lady Mastermind, Chimera, Mikhail Rasputin, Silver Samurai, Black Tom and Sabretooth. Maybe if not Sabretooth we could track down Siena Blaze

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becuase Singer hates Cyclops and Loves Wolverine

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he wasn't needed.

And since he wasn't cast, this doesn't automatically mean they hate Cyclops.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cattlebattle

@hawk2916 said:

I love that idea of reforming the Brotherhood and making it formidable. Having Blob and Toad back would be cool and even Sabretooth if we get past all this inversion/new wolverine stuff. But really my thought was a roster of: Mystique, Blob, Toad, Lady Mastermind, Chimera, Mikhail Rasputin, Silver Samurai, Black Tom and Sabretooth. Maybe if not Sabretooth we could track down Siena Blaze

I can dig it. Although, aren't Mikhail and Black Tom extremely powerful at this point? I would like to have Pyro and Avalanche back on there too, although I believe Pyro is still dead and Avs is floating around somewhere. An interesting thing about the team when they were Freedom Force is that they would always have characters that the government forced to work with them, like Spider Woman II had too. So perhaps they could have random characters show up and work with the team on occasion.....

Oh, and they would have to share their headquarters with likes of some Avenger characters.....just so we could get interactions like these again.....

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for magnetowasalwaysright
    MagnetoWasAlwaysRight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he wasn't needed.

And since he wasn't cast, this doesn't automatically mean they hate Cyclops.

I think it's what people don't get.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.