Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why is Wolverine sent back in time in Days of Future Past?

Europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Europe

Hey, so I'm not very well-read on the X-Men timeline and after seeing the new trailer for Days of Future Past I'm very curious as to why any mutant needs to be sent back in time to "stop an event which threatens both mutant and man kind" as I think I recall reading somewhere. Assuming this film will be based off events in the comics, can someone please explain to me the reason? :)

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Because Wolverine was alive during the early 70s, which is where the parts with the cast from First Class take place in the movie, this would make Logan the ideal candidate to send back in time by transporting his mind into the mind of his younger self.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Because Wolverine was alive during the early 70s, which is where the parts with the cast from First Class take place in the movie, this would make Logan the ideal candidate to send back in time by transporting his mind into the mind of his younger self.

Basically this.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By HAWK2916

Yeah and of course they don't really give a damn about the actual story in the comic. Sending Wolverine back also allows them to continue to make all things Xmen revolve around their cash cow.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By tupiaz

@hawk2916 said:

Yeah and of course they don't really give a damn about the actual story in the comic. Sending Wolverine back also allows them to continue to make all things Xmen revolve around their cash cow.

Movies has their own story and are only influenced by the comics. Deal with it.

mechem_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Brian Synger is directing this.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine has marketability.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By _Gaff_

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR THE COMIC DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

@europe said:

Hey, so I'm not very well-read on the X-Men timeline and after seeing the new trailer for Days of Future Past I'm very curious as to why any mutant needs to be sent back in time to "stop an event which threatens both mutant and man kind" as I think I recall reading somewhere. Assuming this film will be based off events in the comics, can someone please explain to me the reason? :)

In the comic, An older Kitty has here adult conscious sent back in time to inhabit her younger self. They chose her because in the "present" she was a new member of the team and had not received any telepathy defense training. Her goal is to get the X-Men to prevent an event that will have a domino effect that will lead to the USA Gov. program that will mass produce sentinels. Leading to a sentinel take over of the North America. The other nations of the world try and stop the spread of sentinels with a full out nuclear attack. Thus, end of the world.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@hawk2916 said:

Movies has their own story and are only influenced by the comics. Deal with it.

Lol. Don't get your panties in a wad, Im stating a fact. Did I state something untrue? I don't think so. People are so eager to defend these heads, geez. But most people know that even though movies have their own story they don't just ignore major plotlines from the original stories they are based on. Not good ones anyway.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kidchipotle

@war_killer said:

Basically this.

This, basically.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Fallschirmjager

No body wants to see a movie led by Kitty Pryde.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why does it matter as long as the movie is epic?

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Lol. Don't get your panties in a wad, Im stating a fact. Did I state something untrue? I don't think so. People are so eager to defend these heads, geez. But most people know that even though movies have their own story they don't just ignore major plotlines from the original stories they are based on. Not good ones anyway.

Nonsense. All three Nolan Batman films and Iron Man films ignore plenty of the source material. Probably just as much as the X-Men films do. People just like to pick on it more because it seems to be a trendy thing to do.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because anything to give wolverine more attention ?

Europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Europe

Thanks, my question was answered and more. By the way I don't have any issues with Wolverine being the star, I was more interested in what was mentioned by Gaff. Trask and the Sentinels.

totterymanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By totterymanx

Why do some of you go into fits because things will be different from a comic? Who cares? I'm a fan of the source material, but in reality the average Joe doesn't give a sh*t about Kitty lol. Wolverine was the right choice here. He is a household name that anyone can get behind. Smart business is smart business.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By M3th

I. "Because Wolverine was alive during the early 70s, which is where the parts with the cast from First Class take place in the movie, this would make Logan the ideal candidate to send back in time by transporting his mind into the mind of his younger self." -War_Killer

II. Kitty in this movie universe was not around in the 70's.

III. Wolverine's the cash cow.

IV. It makes the most sense story wise given this continuity being that Mystique and Charles where brother and sister and Raven had some sexual tension for Charles, Beast, and Magneto plus Havok was a X-Mam before Cyclops.

V. This is an alternate universe.

June'sVeryOwn ABstract4$$#073

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By evilvegeta74

Because the whole story line they've been trying to present is screwed to hell. They have no respect for the character from the actual stories. Fox related X -men movies are horrible, and it's time for a reboot !

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Because Chris Claremont.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the whole story line they've been trying to present is screwed to hell. They have no respect for the character from the actual stories. Fox related X -men movies are horrible, and it's time for a reboot !

Indeed. No respect. Instead of doing a film about a storyline where an X-Mens consciousness is sent back in time into their younger body to stop the Brotherhood from assassinating a political figure that creates a domino effect with Sentinels creating a dystopian future like in the comic, they are doing a story where where an X-Mens consciousness is sent back in time into their younger body to stop the Brotherhood from assassinating a political figure that creates a domino effect with Sentinels creating a dystopian future. How dare they!! :D

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Only Jesus H. Wolverchrist can save the mutant race.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

Indeed. No respect. Instead of doing a film about a storyline where an X-Mens consciousness is sent back in time into their younger body to stop the Brotherhood from assassinating a political figure that creates a domino effect with Sentinels creating a dystopian future like in the comic, they are doing a story where where an X-Mens consciousness is sent back in time into their younger body to stop the Brotherhood from assassinating a political figure that creates a domino effect with Sentinels creating a dystopian future. How dare they!! :D

I assume you are a fan of what Fox has presented as X-men , there's no denying good taste!

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

I assume you are a fan of what Fox has presented as X-men , there's no denying good taste!

So, you are insulting my personal taste because you don't like a movie?? Grow up, man.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

So, you are insulting my personal taste because you don't like a movie?? Grow up, man.

You get what you give!

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers :(

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

You get what you give!

That makes no sense.

So this is Saturday entertainment, I'm not a volleyball fan, go play with someone else!

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74: It's messed up Fox or i guess mostly the directors butchered Cyclops and pretty much replaced wolverine with cyclops

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74: It's messed up Fox or i guess mostly the directors butchered Cyclops and pretty much replaced wolverine with cyclops

Yes sir

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@m3th said:

I. "Because Wolverine was alive during the early 70s, which is where the parts with the cast from First Class take place in the movie, this would make Logan the ideal candidate to send back in time by transporting his mind into the mind of his younger self." - War Killer

II. Kitty in this movie universe was not around in the 70's.

III. Wolverine's the cash cow.

IV. It makes the most sense story wise given this continuity being that Mystique and Charles where brother and sister and Raven had some sexual tension for Charles, Beast, and Magneto plus Havok was a X-Mam before Cyclops.

V. This is an alternate universe.

June'sVeryOwn ABstract4$$#073

all of these reasons make sense to me, but it's this last one that makes me the most baffled by people's prejudices about this movie. I've never seen people get upset about, say,Ultimate Comics X-Men or any of the various animated interpretations of the characters the way people seem to about Fox's movies.

I've read most X-men comics, and though I definitely think some of Fox's X-men (X-2, X-Men: First Class) were better than others (X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine), I think that, in general, their treatment of the characters and themes over the last 13 years has been at least as consistent as Marvel's ever was, in the comics or otherwise.

There is, I guess, the argument that if the makers of the movie are going to change so many story details from Claremont and Byrne's originalDays of Future Past (which, yes, is a masterpiece, for reasons too numerous to get into here), then why not just call it something else, and say that it's loosely based on that story? That's basically what the animated series Wolverine and the X-Men did.

But this isn't the first time the story has been retold with the same title; X-Men: The Animated Series retold it in the 90's in the episodes,Days_of_Future_Past (part one and two), the rational being, I assume, that since the core story was the same, changes to the cast or other story details were not enough to warrant not acknowledging that it was essentially the same story. I can only assume that this is the case for this new movie, that the makers want to acknowledge that their story is very much inspired by Claremont and Byrne's masterpiece, and that they deserve that credit. Whether it's good or bad, this movie will probably mean that more people will go read the original, and I think that's good.

I know this movie won't be Claremont and Byrne's masterpiece, but it can still be a good movie based on a good story. Why judge it for something it's not?

It'll probably at least be better than this one.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This and the fact that he's the most recognizable X-men member

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those of you complaining the only other legit option I can think of would be Beast. In the movie universe kitty wasn't born yet.

blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@europe said:

Because terrible writing... and time continuum for the X-men, and because Wolverine has to be the center of attention.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.