Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why is Magik with the Uncanny X-men?

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Silver_Raven

Why doesn't she go solo or join up with another team? Why does stay with Cyclops team? Does she like any of them?

I love her being in the spotlight and all but I don't buy her as a team player. (She already betrayed her brother and her best friends, so why she pretending with Cyclops?)

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GonnaRain

She likes them. She has actually called them friends before, and proved that she cares for them.

Also she is cool, so she should stay with the cool folks. I seriously believe that she would puke at the sole idea of joining the losers at the JGS (speaking especially about Wolverine's "Team" in WatXM), and even if Wood's X-Men are incredibly cool, I don't know, but I don't see her working with them.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonnarain: her liking them is so out of character. Sorry i don't buy what Bendis is writing. Never have.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GonnaRain

@silver_raven said:

@gonnarain: her liking them is so out of character. Sorry i don't buy what Bendis is writing. Never have.

It's not like, "HEY Y'ALL BFF FOREVAAA", more like she has come to consider them friends after pretty much everything they've been through. She's still a hundred levels of crazy, but showed that she may have a little tiny fragment of humanity remaining to be capable of perceiving people as "friends".

But yeah, I had a similar opinion like yours some time ago, but after reading and reading many opinions from users on the matter, it helped me see it a different way, and it did make sense.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why doesn't she go solo or join up with another team? Why does stay with Cyclops team? Does she like any of them?

I love her being in the spotlight and all but I don't buy her as a team player. (She already betrayed her brother and her best friends, so why she pretending with Cyclops?)

I think she's mostly using Cyclops and whatnot as it gives her an excuse to kill a few people. Cyclops seem content with her letting her crazy outta the bag every few issues and still gives her a place to crash. -Shrugs.- I'd like to see someone mega punch her as soon as possible. Preferably her brother.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

she really belongs in fearless defenders i think. In fact ive wanted a whole new defenders book with Magik, Legion, Dr.Strange, Valkryie, Spiderwoman as the team

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

She was with them before Bendis. Plus she is in the same situation as most of the team because of the Phoenix 5. Has her powers been weird like everyone else?

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GonnaRain

@knighthood said:

@silver_raven said:

She was with them before Bendis. Plus she is in the same situation as most of the team because of the Phoenix 5. Has her powers been weird like everyone else?

Not really. After AvX it seemed that her powers got even stronger, she could summon Limbo's forces outside of it, IIRC she herself mentioned it. Then, right before the start of the Limbo arc she started teleporting without control, but that was more the influence of Dormammu, rather than her powers being broken.

Now it seems that she is in need of more control, but that's mostly because of Limbo residing inside of her, not because of the Phoenix Force.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she was with them b4 uncanny plus the team is mainly rogue mutants and she fits that part.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's because she isn't canny (that was lame)

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was with the Extinction team because of Colossus, and because before that team was formed she was being kept captive by Cyclops for her messing with the Elder Gods, so he let her free as long as she followed orders. Her powers were what were so useful to the Extinction team. But i still don't understand why she would continue to follow Cyclops after that. She should have gone solo or reached out to Kitty who was the only person she hadn't betrayed up to that point.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silver_raven said:

I think she's mostly using Cyclops and whatnot as it gives her an excuse to kill a few people. Cyclops seem content with her letting her crazy outta the bag every few issues and still gives her a place to crash. -Shrugs.- I'd like to see someone mega punch her as soon as possible. Preferably her brother.

I think this may be the most believable reason for her involvement and I hope magneto and emma's reason as well for joining Cyclops' team of exiles. I don't see her wickedness being contained by someone like Scott, unless that's what the writer wants so he gets. But Magik should be portrayed like the X-men's Loki, up to mischief and mayhem when ever she has the chance. I would have loved to see her go rogue and join the Hellfire Club/Brotherhood for the fun of it but not because she actually believed in their cause.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Because they are the only people that would let much crazy over their doorstep.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Because she considers them as friends and she has even called them friends more than once.But also Cyclops' team is the only X-team that is going to tolerate so much crazy.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

She's more likely staying because of her brother and that she actually cares for the team members. Sure she's cold to them but she's always been cold to people since her whole soul being taken and what not junk. She still has that human side to her that she'll eventually let out more often

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Silver_Raven

The only "friend" i can see her connecting to on Cyc's team is Magneto because of his time as headmaster of the New Mutants. But is there any proof of the bond in the book?

Kitty and the New Mutants are/were her only friends, I don't believe she cares for anyone on the Uncanny team.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

She was with the Extinction team because of Colossus, and because before that team was formed she was being kept captive by Cyclops for her messing with the Elder Gods, so he let her free as long as she followed orders. Her powers were what were so useful to the Extinction team. But i still don't understand why she would continue to follow Cyclops after that. She should have gone solo or reached out to Kitty who was the only person she hadn't betrayed up to that point.

I know that Cyclops and Colossus have been friends for years, but I almost felt more like Colossus was on the team because of Magik, more than the other way around. Think about it, most of how the Extinction team (and especially the new outlaw team) operate would be impossible without Magik's portals, which is something I'm sure both Cyclops and Magik are acutely aware of.

And, yeah, Cyclops did even keep her locked up, and I think that's as much because he knew he needed her as because he thought she was genuinely dangerous. I can see how Magik would take this as a rare case of someone really understanding her; in that one act Cyclops acknowledges a lot:

1. She is genuinely dangerous
    2. She is absolutely essential to his plan, he needs her
    3. he's not trying to pretend she's more innocent than she is (like so many others have, to her continued frustration)
    4. and yet, despite all of this, he is still not afraid of her.

For all of these reasons and more, I think that Magik would see her relationship with Cyclops to be both singular and empowering, and would like to think of someone who knows her on that level as being her friend. Of course she knows he's crazy manipulative, but I think Magik identifies with manipulation, and would respect it more than be bothered by it.

Given all that, I don't know why she wouldn't be on Cyclops' X-men.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Silver_Raven

@oldnightcrawler: Magik, is the ruler of a dark dimension and a powerful sorceress. Seeing her bow to Cyclops and be treated like some magic school bus is not a position i see her relishing. Also, besides Magneto and Emma -who she has some history with- I don't feel she would want to be a part of their pathetic little team. If she end up betraying the team or using them for some ulterior motive then all will be forgiven, but now all this talk of "friendship" is not what Magik is about.

Gillen wrote her as deliciously devious with her own agenda and in control but with the Extinction team disbanded and her brother realizing how corrupt she actually was, Magik had no reason to remain loyal to Cyclops. He's a lost sheep and not the shepherd people thought he was. But writers can't seem to write a story without Cyclops at the centre of it and he has another team to prop up him up and make him feel good about himself, even though he killed Professor X, via the PF.

Captain Cycopath should have stayed in prison and we could have had Magneto reclaim his role as the real revolutionary mutant and led the Extinction team with other ambiguously aligned mutants. I would have had no problem with Magik following Magneto cuz that would have made sense and had history behind it. I want the X-teams to be held together by real connective tissue and not forced chemistry.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silver_raven: well, like I said, it just doesn't feel forced to me.

But I'm starting to think that this really has more to do with you not liking Cyclops. Which, whatever, you don't have to like him, he's kind of a dick. But if you want to know why Magik would be on his team, you might try looking at him as Magik would instead of how you do. It doesn't mean that you have to like him, and I can even get why that would make you not like him, but that wasn't your question.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Silver_Raven

@oldnightcrawler said:

@silver_raven: well, like I said, it just doesn't feel forced to me.

But I'm starting to think that this really has more to do with you not liking Cyclops. Which, whatever, you don't have to like him, he's kind of a dick. But if you want to know why Magik would be on his team, you might try looking at him as Magik would instead of how you do. It doesn't mean that you have to like him, and I can even get why that would make you not like him, but that wasn't your question.

I dislike a lot of characters but i can see beyond that when there are relationship dynamics at work that makes sense and/or have history behind it.

For example:

I love Storm and I hate Wolverine, but i like them as a couple and he doesn't bother me as much when next to Storm.

I hate Rogue but I enjoy her on X-WoMen because of their friendship and maybe I can grow to like her again.

I love Dani Moonstar and I would really enjoy to see her on Cyclops team, even if I don't really like his side, but it would be believable to see her want to be on Scott's side when he was there for her. And she could create more connective ties between the characters.

And as for Magik. She is one of my second fav New Mutant, but I think i would prefer her as a villain right now then on some wannabe X-men team. Or ideally be the X-men's trickster character and play both sides and help who ever she wanted to. She feels too domesticated for my liking.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Storm and I hate Wolverine, but i like them as a couple and he doesn't bother me as much when next to Storm.

I hate Rogue but I enjoy her on X-WoMen because of their friendship and maybe I can grow to like her again.

I love Dani Moonstar and I would really enjoy to see her on Cyclops team, even if I don't really like his side, but it would be believable to see her want to be on Scott's side when he was there for her. And she could create more connective ties between the characters.

these are good examples.

I like all these characters, but I see what you mean. Wolverine and Rogue are both characters I really like, but I get tired of them in some contexts. And I totally agree about Moonstar, I think she'd be great on this team.

And as for Magik. She is one of my second fav New Mutant, but I think i would prefer her as a villain right now then on some wannabe X-men team. Or ideally be the X-men's trickster character and play both sides and help who ever she wanted to. She feels too domesticated for my liking.

I like her on Cyclops' team, but I do think it would be cool if she were on another team too, more like a free agent. Personally, I'd like to see Cannonball lead a team of X-men not strictly associated with either school, like a team of free agents doing covert work under the radar of the school teams, and I think it would be cool to see her in that context as well.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

More Moonstar is better for me. I 've been calling for her to join Cyclops' team for the longest.

IMO its kinda hard to argue what character goes with the continuity of the team because I don't really Cyclops' team as having a clear direction. Maybe its just me but I like for teams i.e books to have a clear direction and not be convoluted with a bunch of nonsense. I still cant tell what Cyclops revolution is all about or what they are trying to do.

Right now Magik just doesn't really fit anywhere which is why I want her with Legion and Dr.Strange making up a new Defenders team. Even in the books she really has no true interaction with the other members of the team. Cyclops tells her to teleport them here or there. She was training a student last issue but other than that there's generally nothing going on with her and her teammates.

We really do need Cannonball to have his own team. Maybe we could get some fresh perspective and highlight more characters. as far as Im concerned at the moment Cyclops, Emma, Magneto and Magik should just join up with Cable, Domino, Colossus and Boom-Boom and just go into the future and correct the dystopian stuff and leave the main U to the next generations that they've been training forever and ever

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Silver_Raven

@hawk2916: @oldnightcrawler: Even though i don't get why Magik would want to be on that team, at least she is in the spotlight and will hopefully remain there as a real X-men.

All the New Mutants needs to evolve into real X-men and get the recognition they deserve. I am all for Cannonball and Mirage getting to lead their own teams or working together and doing their own thing. Like X-Treme Sanctions Executive or X-Corporations.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: @oldnightcrawler: Even though i don't get why Magik would want to be on that team, at least she is in the spotlight and will hopefully remain there as a real X-men.

yeah, pretty much this. Something else I hadn't considered until you brought up that idea of being "a real X-man" is that she's also shown some active interest in actually training the new characters. It's actually a role I wouldn't have considered her in, but I do like it. It makes sense that if she was going to be training young mutants, she would have the sort of gloves-off approach to it that would be more in line with Emma, Magneto, or even Cyclops' approach, than, say, anyone at the other school.

All the New Mutants needs to evolve into real X-men and get the recognition they deserve. I am all for Cannonball and Mirage getting to lead their own teams or working together and doing their own thing. Like X-Treme Sanctions Executive or X-Corporations.

yeah, I think that would be great, I'd love to see a team like that.

something like this?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#25  Edited By knighthood

@hawk2916 said:

More Moonstar is better for me. I 've been calling for her to join Cyclops' team for the longest.

IMO its kinda hard to argue what character goes with the continuity of the team because I don't really Cyclops' team as having a clear direction. Maybe its just me but I like for teams i.e books to have a clear direction and not be convoluted with a bunch of nonsense. I still cant tell what Cyclops revolution is all about or what they are trying to do.

Right now Magik just doesn't really fit anywhere which is why I want her with Legion and Dr.Strange making up a new Defenders team. Even in the books she really has no true interaction with the other members of the team. Cyclops tells her to teleport them here or there. She was training a student last issue but other than that there's generally nothing going on with her and her teammates.

We really do need Cannonball to have his own team. Maybe we could get some fresh perspective and highlight more characters. as far as Im concerned at the moment Cyclops, Emma, Magneto and Magik should just join up with Cable, Domino, Colossus and Boom-Boom and just go into the future and correct the dystopian stuff and leave the main U to the next generations that they've been training forever and ever

I'm going to go a little off topic, but Legion has some interesting things happening in his book. He has worked with Pete Wisdom, Psylocke, Chamber, Pixie, Alchemy (whom I thought everyone forgot about), Lila Cheney, Liam Connaughton, and his love interest Blindfold. I would love to see this group on a regular basis as a new Excalibur.

I would love to see Moonstar on Cyke's team as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.