Why dosen't everyone wear a Magneto-ish helmet?

#1 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

Since most of the X-Men run into telepaths and know that Magneto's helmet makes him immune to telepathic mind control, why don't they do the same, or why not even the rest of the brotherhood. Sounds like a good idea if you ask me

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12692 posts) - - Show Bio

Its never been explained...I imagine maybe since magneto had impressive telepathy resistance in the first place.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe its hard to come by or prohibitively expensive

#4 Posted by Referee (7368 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question, I too would love to know the answer.

#5 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Why doesn't Cyke put X-ray in his visor? Why don't none invulnerable X-men wear sturdier costumes? Why doesn't every hero less powerful than Iron Man in the MU where Iron Man suits?

because it would be boring and the writers would have to think harder on new threats

#6 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a rare material, I suppose.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22480 posts) - - Show Bio

it would inhibit their telepaths as well...the X-men use their telepaths for battle coordination if everyone was wearing a Magneto helmet then they'd loose that advantage

#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

It wouldn't work on anyone else. It's Magneto's resistance + The helm that makes him immune to telepaths.

#9 Posted by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people are too vain to wear something so ugly looking as Magnetos helmut. 

#10 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Why doesn't Cyke put X-ray in his visor? Why don't none invulnerable X-men wear sturdier costumes? Why doesn't every hero less powerful than Iron Man in the MU where Iron Man suits?

because it would be boring and the writers would have to think harder on new threats

^^This. Imagine if everyone wore their own Iron Man suit. It would be pretty cool but then they would have to give all the villains power ups to stand a chance.

#11 Posted by JohnnyGat (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

Mags mental resistance is not necessarily the one that protects him, in Astonishing X-men when Cyke was transported to an alternate universe He, Emmeline, and little Kurt all wore different Magneto helmets that made them immune to that reality's Xaviers telepathy. Although you can make the argument that Cyke and Emmeline should have strong mental resistance that can't be said for kid nightcrawler.

iirc in those issues they still managed to communicate telepathically I could be wrong I can't remember besides them wearing the helmets.

#12 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

True, but as for the Magneto helmet ofcourse wearing it all the time would be boring, but every once in awhile when it's neccecary would be ok but I see what you mean

#13 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@PurpleCandy: its because most of the x-men have shields put in place by chuck. plus some have been trained to resist to some degree telepaths. deadpools mind is impossible to read. wolverine has so much mental scaring the same as deadpool. there are lot of explanations. mags has that helmet because of his rivalry to chuck.

#14 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kinda silly that no one else would use that tech. Some writer needs to specify that it only works when combined with his magnetic powers. Then only people like Polaris would have the option to helmet up.

#15 Posted by LeJohnKs (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they realize if magneto becomes evil again, he can kill them all easily compared to taking his time

#16 Posted by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

Well its already been mentioned, but I figured to mention it again, originally Magnetos helmut didn't diddly dum, diddly dee, diddly hah, widdly flea, crickity clack, crakkity gloop, shoop du whoop, woop de shoop, shaka kahn shaka kahn, shaka flan to the tang, can you do the can can can, fluffy puffy, wuffy buffy, dilly dally, silly sally, slim dim, shim swim, shucky ducky quack quack, Magneto's early telepathy feats were just his own natural resistance. Somewhere along the line I can't remember, writers decided to make his helmut be a part of the defense, until some writers including the movies decided to make the telepathic resistance, only be the helmut.

#17 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5137 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know.

#18 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17850 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

His helmet ugly? Wha?

#19 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

The "tiara" version Emmeline used was kind of cute. I guess it was worn by an alternate gay Magneto.

#20 Posted by M3th (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

First Juggernaut where's a helmet like Magneto. That is why they always take it off so Jean/Charles can defeat Juggy.

II. If more people would wear a similar helmet like Magneto's then Magneto would totally call them out on it and nobody wants to be called a copy cat.

#21 Posted by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Because, it's been blessed by the Pope himself. (+5 internet points to the person who gets this lame joke first.)

#22 Posted by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

His helmet ugly? Wha?

Oh, I was just joking because Magneto's telepathic resistance was originally his own minds ability, and not to do with his helmut.

#23 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17850 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@sc said:

His helmet ugly? Wha?

Oh, I was just joking because Magneto's telepathic resistance was originally his own minds ability, and not to do with his helmut.

Ha yeah. (Sorry if I came off as overly defensive) I was just joking myself :)

#24 Posted by darthphoenix (700 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe because they're using psi-shields instead. beast made the avengers use it.

#25 Posted by phisigmatau (513 posts) - - Show Bio

cause gambit can touch their helmets and make them exploooooooooooooode

#26 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

They are expensive, I think. And I dont really know where to buy helmets for everyone. (I didnt see any at Target.)

#27 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@purplecandy: because some have a natural high resistance to telepathy. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT most have shields put in place by CHUCK.

#28 Edited by TDK_1997 (14680 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Magneto has high telepathy resistance even without the helmet and the helmet just helps him out even more.Maybe not anyone can be immune to telepathy if he just puts a helmet like that.

#29 Posted by HeckTate (1186 posts) - - Show Bio

It can't just be Magneto's natural resistance, because they've used this as a device for other characters as well. Other people have stolen/borrowed the helmet and used it to the same effect, and one issue of the All New X-Men has Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, and Illyana all under the protection of the helmet.

The short answer is there's no real reason for it other than it would mess up the story if everyone was immune to psychics. If you want a plausible answer for this, just consider that Magneto could just collapse the helmets and crush everyone's skulls. Although I guess he could technically crush Wolverine's skull whenever.

#30 Edited by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate said:

It can't just be Magneto's natural resistance, because they've used this as a device for other characters as well. Other people have stolen/borrowed the helmet and used it to the same effect, and one issue of the All New X-Men has Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, and Illyana all under the protection of the helmet.

Now that you mention this. I always had the same doubt about that issue. Storm (IIRC) explained to Jeen that her powers didn't work on them maybe because Mags was protecting them, since he is no stranger to Psy blocking devices like his helmet, but was it true?

I mean, regular Emma could've easily protected them against Jeen, of course, that was not the case, and even if Mag's helmet grants some degree of protection to the wearer, can the effect really expand to people around him? I may be wrong, but the helmet has never worked like that.

IMO, the Cuckoos were the ones blocking Jeen from accessing the Uncanny Team thoughts.

#31 Posted by HeckTate (1186 posts) - - Show Bio

@gonnarain:

That's definitely another explanation for it. Honestly that's one of the few places in All New that I felt the writing got a little sloppy. There was no need to throw the helmet in there as an explanation with literally 5 psychics (counting Emma) all there. They could have wrote it off a lot easier as the sisters doing their thing.

As a side note, the Marvel wiki lists Magneto's helmet as functioning from circuitry wired into it and goes on to say "Magneto may be able to create his signature helmet by manipulating any metal into the shape, this can be assumed as despite the helmet being destroyed or taken from his possession Magneto always has another."

Not the most reliable source, but it does seem to indicate that no special materials are required, so it's not a cost or manufacturing thing that prevents other chars from doing the same.

#32 Posted by McKlayn (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

Since most of the X-Men run into telepaths and know that Magneto's helmet makes him immune to telepathic mind control, why don't they do the same, or why not even the rest of the brotherhood. Sounds like a good idea if you ask me

its not very fashionable

#33 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

Because comic book logic

#34 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4433 posts) - - Show Bio

it would inhibit their telepaths as well...the X-men use their telepaths for battle coordination if everyone was wearing a Magneto helmet then they'd loose that advantage

exactly, the X-men's strength comes as much from fighting as a coordinated group, cutting them off from their own telepaths would usually be more of a disadvantage than an advantage, especially given that more than half of the telepaths in the MU are X-men.

#35 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate said:

@gonnarain:

That's definitely another explanation for it. Honestly that's one of the few places in All New that I felt the writing got a little sloppy. There was no need to throw the helmet in there as an explanation with literally 5 psychics (counting Emma) all there. They could have wrote it off a lot easier as the sisters doing their thing.

As a side note, the Marvel wiki lists Magneto's helmet as functioning from circuitry wired into it and goes on to say "

Magneto

may be able to create his signature helmet by manipulating any metal into the shape, this can be assumed as despite the helmet being destroyed or taken from his possession

Magneto

always has another."

Not the most reliable source, but it does seem to indicate that no special materials are required, so it's not a cost or manufacturing thing that prevents other chars from doing the same.

That's what I remember as well. If I'm not mistaken there was a old Handbook to the Marvel Universe that showed the circuitry within the helmet, I couldn't find any pics online, but I found this...

#36 Posted by HeckTate (1186 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

The helmet is not necessary for his telepathic resistance.
Storm is also highly resistant to telepathic intrusion, and it's simply from being trained specifically to be so. Anyone should be able to train to be resistant to telepathy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.