Why do the X-men stay in the USA?

#1 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

In the current Uncanny X-men book, we have a team of revolutionary mutants hiding out in an old Weapon X base in Canada. Now this has got me thinking about the potential of a story seeing how a different culture would accept mutants and maybe see why it might be more ideal than where the X-men have been for decades.

The US-centric scope of the Marvel Universe is very boring and redundant. Look at how the history of the X-men and how stale it got until "All New and All Different X-Men" opened up the world of stories to explore. Thanks to a visionary writer like Chris Claremont the X-men traveled the world and space and encountered all kinds of peoples, cultures, and places..I want to see a return to that and more stories focusing on the world where new mutants are being discovered again.

I want to see how mutants are treated in other countries or if there are other teams of mutants not related to the X-men. And i really want to see a team of X-men relocate to another country in the world where we can see something truely "all new and all different" again.

Hopefully Canada might be a place to see this happen. But where else could they take the X-men?

#2 Posted by McKlayn (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

They have spent time in Australia, and Excalibur dealt with some European places (i think they were in more then England but not for sure.)

#3 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4572 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

They have spent time in Australia, and Excalibur dealt with some European places (i think they were in more then England but not for sure.)

did they really go any places in Australia besides that abandoned town?

Switzerland might be cool. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of mutants from northern climates besides Russia and Canada, but I guess there aren't as many people, either. But aren't there lots of people in Switzerland?

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely would like to see more stories that revolves around the X-Men going to other countries like Russia, France or Japan. It would bring in a more international perspective on the mutants' situation and there would probably be more interesting stories coming out of that.

#5 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

did they really go any places in Australia besides that abandoned town?

Switzerland might be cool. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of mutants from northern climates besides Russia and Canada, but I guess there aren't as many people, either. But aren't there lots of people in Switzerland?

Is it Switzerland or Sweden that is always the neutral country? Well which ever it is i hope that there are castles there! Imagine the X-men in an X-castle, How fun might that be. (Did Excalibur do that i have never read that book.)

I think there are quite a few Northern European countries that would be very accepting towards mutants. I wonder even if Germany might be one of those place since in real life it has become a really progressive place.

#6 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Good thing Legion's coming over to Britain in July's Legacy. Thank you, Spurrier.

But on another note, i'd like to see the XSE/X-Corporation network make a return soon.

#7 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4572 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely would like to see more stories that revolves around the X-Men going to other countries like Russia, France or Japan. It would bring in a more international perspective on the mutants' situation and there would probably be more interesting stories coming out of that.

well, there have been lots of stories with them in both Russia and Japan, but they were all cool.

Is it Switzerland or Sweden that is always the neutral country? Well which ever it is i hope that there are castles there! Imagine the X-men in an X-castle, How fun might that be. (Did Excalibur do that i have never read that book.)

I think there are quite a few Northern European countries that would be very accepting towards mutants. I wonder even if Germany might be one of those place since in real life it has become a really progressive place.

I think you're thinking of Switzerland. But, yeah, it seems like the only marvel stories in Germany are set in WWII, unless you count Nightcrawler's first appearance; I'm sure there must be more to Germany than Nazis and lynch mobs.

#8 Edited by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

But on another note, i'd like to see the XSE/X-Corporation network make a return soon.

That's what I was gonna say!

@mcklayn said:

Excalibur was set totally in England and explored mystical realms both the original team and the second team with Juggernaut and Dazzler!

And they spent awhile in the outback! Really didn't explore too much of the continent but at least it was different!

But I'd like to see a base of operations in Israel! Working with Sabra, and dealing with problems over there!

#9 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: And on that Sabra note, another reason why i loved BW's run on X-Men was because of her Israeli liaison role for the team. She rocked. Hopefully Wood'll feature her a bit in the upcoming series again.

#10 Edited by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: And on that Sabra note, another reason why i loved BW's run on X-Men was because of her Israeli liaison role for the team. She rocked. Hopefully Wood'll feature her a bit in the upcoming series again.

That was my favorite arc!!

#11 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@mcklayn said:

Excalibur was set totally in England and explored mystical realms both the original team and the second team with Juggernaut and Dazzler!

And they spent awhile in the outback! Really didn't explore too much of the continent but at least it was different!

But I'd like to see a base of operations in Israel! Working with Sabra, and dealing with problems over there!

I absolutely agree on all these points. (I am so excited to see Sabra reappear in Brian Wood's X-women book.

And a big fat freakin yes to the concept of XSE/X-Corporation but maybe under a different name. Maybe each nation/region can have it's own X-sanctioned team led by an X-man or two and incorporating new mutant recruits from that area of the world. If there was a book about this I would love it but i am happy imagining who would go where and what new team could come from this global idea.

Rictor and Shatterstar in Mexico (Los Hombres X)

Sunspot and Magma in Brazil (maybe Amara can finally embrace her Brazilian side)

Joanna Cargill and Amelia Voght in South Africa (old friends with a new purpose)

Lifeguard in Australia (she would be perfect for this)

Neal Shaara in India (in my head canon he is already doing this there)

Collective Man and Nuwa in China (we need more than two Chinese mutants!)

Sabra in Isreal (she is so badass she can look over the whole the whole Middle East as well)

Magneto in Germany (this would be interesting indeed since that's his homeland after all)

Psylocke and Chamber in England (they take over Excalibur, while Captain Britain runs the Braddock Academy)

Gambit and M in France (they would be such fun and fabulous co-leader, ^-^)

Darkstar in Russia (the dark queen need reigns again)

Aurora and/or Northstar in Canada (but after they join with Cyclops' team, eh)

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@ageofhurricane said:

@mcklayn said:

I absolutely agree on all these points. (I am so excited to see Sabra reappear in Brian Wood's X-women book.

And a big fat freakin yes to the concept of XSE/X-Corporation but maybe under a different name. Maybe each nation/region can have it's own X-sanctioned team led by an X-man or two and incorporating new mutant recruits from that area of the world. If there was a book about this I would love it but i am happy imagining who would go where and what new team could come from this global idea.

Rictor and Shatterstar in Mexico (Los Hombres X)

Sunspot and Magma in Brazil (maybe Amara can finally embrace her Brazilian side)

Joanna Cargill and Amelia Voght in South Africa (old friends with a new purpose)

Lifeguard in Australia (she would be perfect for this)

Neal Shaara in India (in my head canon he is already doing this there)

Collective Man and Nuwa in China (we need more than two Chinese mutants!)

Sabra in Isreal (she is so badass she can look over the whole the whole Middle East as well)

Magneto in Germany (this would be interesting indeed since that's his homeland after all)

Psylocke and Chamber in England (they take over Excalibur, while Captain Britain runs the Braddock Academy)

Gambit and M in France (they would be such fun and fabulous co-leader, ^-^)

Darkstar in Russia (the dark queen need reigns again)

Aurora and/or Northstar in Canada (but after they join with Cyclops' team, eh)

Cool ideas... I can imagine all of these!

#13 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Thanks, i am glad it made sense with all those late night spelling mistakes. When i was replying to posts you all had, i just got this flash of inspiration to come up with these new branches of X-men. I like when they are portrayed as an international superhero team but over the past decade they haven't really gone anywhere and there were no new mutants to go out and recruit. Now hopefully things will change. But i really hope some of the ideas before Decimation will be recycled again.

#14 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

It mainly has to do with so many Marvel readers being American. Big events in Marvel often show action occurring in iconic locations that Americans can react to, such as the Statue of Liberty or New York City streets, but similar scenes happening abroad having smaller impact. Marvel doesn't have a dedicated equivalent to Justice League International - Excalibur and Alpha Flight had books but weren't as successful as the U.S.-based titles.

I agree, though. I actually liked Banshee's X-Corps idea and Prof. X's X-Corporation because it made sense to have teams stationed in multiple countries dealing with mutant threats and mutant civilian issues.

Marvel's story-based explanation for mutants, at least, has always been that more radiation-related events occurred in the U.S.A., so there is a greater number of superhumans appearing there.

#15 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Thanks, i am glad it made sense with all those late night spelling mistakes. When i was replying to posts you all had, i just got this flash of inspiration to come up with these new branches of X-men. I like when they are portrayed as an international superhero team but over the past decade they haven't really gone anywhere and there were no new mutants to go out and recruit. Now hopefully things will change. But i really hope some of the ideas before Decimation will be recycled again.

True that... I hope so too.

#16 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

It mainly has to do with so many Marvel readers being American. Big events in Marvel often show action occurring in iconic locations that Americans can react to, such as the Statue of Liberty or New York City streets, but similar scenes happening abroad having smaller impact. Marvel doesn't have a dedicated equivalent to Justice League International - Excalibur and Alpha Flight had books but weren't as successful as the U.S.-based titles.

I agree, though. I actually liked Banshee's X-Corps idea and Prof. X's X-Corporation because it made sense to have teams stationed in multiple countries dealing with mutant threats and mutant civilian issues.

Marvel's story-based explanation for mutants, at least, has always been that more radiation-related events occurred in the U.S.A., so there is a greater number of superhumans appearing there.

I have to agree that i am sure the main reason the comic books continue to be US-centric is in large part due to fans and consumers mostly being from the US but Canada also must buy comics too and other English speaking countries. Now i wonder what happens with Marvel comic books online. Can you download the comics in other languages? Because that be very amazing if they could do that and reach out to other people around the world so the audience of comic books can grow.

I also like that theory about Marvels mutants being predominantly American because of the all the radioactive/nuclear fallout. But i feel that early on in the X-books that was used more and now it's taken for granted and who knows what changes the Phoenix has done to the X-gene. I remember how Sunfire's origin was tied to the bombings of Japan in WW2. I like that level of realism in explaining his mutation. So i could imagine there were many more Japanese mutants than Marvel ever bothered to introduce. It would be cool if the current X-books touched upon the environmental factors for mutation again.

#17 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wondered if there were other mutant schools in the world. Now that the x-gene has kicked in again and tonnes of kids are getting powers all over the world, you'd think they'd need them??

#18 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4572 posts) - - Show Bio

@silver_raven: well, given that the statistical probability of being a mutant in the first place is so huge, and that the population of the 'States is almost ten times what we've got up here in Canada (roughly 34,500,000 compared to 313,900,000), it does stand to reason that there would be way more American mutants than Canadian.

That doesn't explain why there aren't more mutants from, say, Japan (127,800,000, or closer to half the population of the 'States), but from what I've seen during my time in Japan, and what I've read of Japanese comics, I can see why being a mutant over there might be less of a weird thing.

#19 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@cerealkiller said:

I always wondered if there were other mutant schools in the world. Now that the x-gene has kicked in again and tonnes of kids are getting powers all over the world, you'd think they'd need them??

I wish the X-book would explore those possibilities, maybe by showing how other countries, governments and organizations deal with mutants. I would think some governments would use them as tools/weapons, or study them like lab rats, or even treat them as celebrities. And as we saw with Storm maybe even worship them as deities. These stories never get explored however because the stories are always set in the America.

#20 Posted by CTG (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Good thing Legion's coming over to Britain in July's Legacy. Thank you, Spurrier.

Gambit is supposed to have more business w/ Pete Wisdom also.

Wouldn't mind seeing that guy in more stories, for what's it worth.

#21 Posted by jhazzroucher (15798 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the X-men to come to the Philippines

#22 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4572 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there no mutants from the Philippines? that does seam odd.

#23 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

Because marvel is an American company

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.