Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why do the X-films downplay the women character???

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

So as we all know the X-men are known for the best girl power in all Marvel.

Why is it that the X-films downplay the women characters???

1) Storm- Probably the x-lady with the most amount of screen time in the entire series. Halle Berry and Bryan Singer chose a direction that didn't translate too well onscreen. And Halle's performance had many mixed reviews. It's also rumored Bryan Singer didn't even care much for Storm's character entirely. By XTLS Storm had some decent girl power moments.

2) Rogue- Possibly the worst character translated from comics to film. Rogue did not appear in any action scenes in all the entire x-men movies and was reduced to a damsel in distress. A total 180 of her character in the comics. Anna Paquin even joked that she had more action in the first few episodes of true blood than she did in the x-films.

3) Mystique- Surprisingly the leading lady in the X-flims. Mystique manages to hold down the fort for all mutant ladies in the movies. She kicks butt and even gives Wolverine a run for his money. Although in X-men the last stand her character's role gets reduced and she is cured. meh. Also in X-men first class she is a far cry from the Mystique we know and love in the first 3 X-men films. But we like Jennifer Lawerance. So I will cut her some slack.

4) Jean- Jean was a nobody in X-men 1. Matter of fact the most interesting thing that happened to her was toad throwing up in her face. She wasn't really even friends with Storm... they were more co-workers if anything. Although in X2 she touched our hearts with that amazing sacrifice. In XTLS she came back as the Exorcist the Phoenix. Which failed to please fans. The lack of firebird and full potential of the phoenix left fans feeling jipped. On a positive note, She looked great in the last movie and with the long hair and red outfit.

5) Kitty- Kitty was alright. She appeared in the first 3 x-moves. Wish we could see more of her in future films.

6) Lady Deathstrike- Much different than her comic book counterpart. But unlike Rogue, this version of the character worked well onscreen. Kelly Hu had an interesting take on the character. Too bad her character's only role was small and was to fight Wolverine and make him look good. Not to mention I don't even think they mentioned her name (Lady Deathstrike).

7) Callisto- That wasn't Callisto. Dania Ramirez is way too damn pretty to be Cal! lol She was okay-- For some reason she thought she was Quicksilver. But at least Storm and Callisto got to fight. She really wasn't all that...

8) Silverfox- Why was she in here? Fail. 'Walk until your feet bleed.'

9) Emma Frost- By far the worst waste of all the potential girl power in all the x-films. January Jones had the outfit, the movie, and the team behind her to make her performance amazing. Instead she was a cardboard cut out of a Victoria's secret reject. She had no personality. They should have found an actress who was hotter.

Her worst scene was when Shaw told her that she was beautiful--- and then to get him some ice for his drink. AND SHE ACTUALLY GOT IT FOR HIM!

LMAO FAIL

And what was up with that naked diamond woman spin on her powers??? She is not Mystique.

10) Angel- IMO I thought Angel's onscreen performance was alright. BUT I thought there are MANY other character I would rather see than her in an X-flim. Heck even Pixie is more relevant than Angel is. I am all for adding a woman of color to an x-men film, but seriously??? Angel???? Wasn't she depowered? We could have had M or Frenzy.

I think Angel was supposed to be a reference to the comic version's first class Angel/Warren/ Black Queen/ Pixie.

Either way-- I liked her, but overall she didn't hold down the fort for the X-ladies.

11) Psylocke- Had more lines than colossus. But she died. LOL At least she looked hot. And why was she a bad guy???

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2  Edited By x_29

Because those characters are not the ones the general public really care about ( with the possible exception of storm and Rogue). All they really want to see and what the studio cared only to focus on was wolverine, xavier, and magneto.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Because male characters are the most important characters on every team.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine

@Vance Astro said:

Because male characters are the most important characters on every team.

Haha. WORD.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pyrogram

The males like wolverine will always outplay the females. Due to how they are perceived. apart from jean.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By evilvegeta74

I think they downplay all of the characters.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Twentyfive

X-Men. The team that has stronger females than males, or at least they have way, way better powers, yet they don't DO ANYTHING!!!

Arg!!!!

Xorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xorion

@evilvegeta74 said:

yeah movies were all about wolverine and some other people with black suits

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
    TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TerryBogard2014

@evilvegeta74 said:

this.with the exception of a handful everyone else sucked,hmm maybe cyclops getting the shaft in the movies was an early sign of things to come......

yasiiii4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yasiiii4

Rogue and Jean's downplay pissed me off the most

Callisto and Psylocke just made no sense at all

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lykopis

Its because the movies are geared to American audiences and the idea of a bad@ss woman saving the day or even having stronger powers than men would be unacceptable. (Jean doesn't count because of course, she went all crazy bitch -- and then --- defeated. By a man. Who loved her. Wah.)

Ovaries aren't visible but testes are. These films just illustrate penis measuring in some form or another.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By turoksonofstone

Why do films downplay the women character???

fixed.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @evilvegeta74 said:

Basically this.
    JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JonSmith

Here's why:

When writing the script for these films, the writers think of a role, no matter how minor, a side character, a brief amount of screentime, doesn't matter. They write these roles, and write the script. These characters have no names. Their fight scenes do not exist at this stage. Then they call Marvel and tell them, "Hey, we've got a part here, this part needs to do this, this, and this, what've you got?" And Marvel reaches into the Magical Hat of Movie Mutants, and pulls out a name at random. They tell it to the guy, tells the dude their powers, and boom, the dude writes it down into the parts and repeat the process until all side characters are filled. Done.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By poisonfleur

@Twentyfive said:

X-Men. The team that has stronger females than males, or at least they have way, way better powers, yet they don't DO ANYTHING!!!

Arg!!!!

One of the many reasons the X-men are my favorite team. They have diversity and major girl power. The movies...... Not much diversity-- A few black people and a few blue people... and very little girl power... *Sigh*

@Yasiiii4 said:

Rogue and Jean's downplay pissed me off the most

Callisto and Psylocke just made no sense at all

Agreed-- I don't know what they were thinking when writing Rogue in the script.

@lykopis said:

Its because the movies are geared to American audiences and the idea of a bad@ss woman saving the day or even having stronger powers than men would be unacceptable. (Jean doesn't count because of course, she went all crazy bitch -- and then --- defeated. By a man. Who loved her. Wah.)

Ovaries aren't visible but testes are. These films just illustrate penis measuring in some form or another.

This has me falling out of my chair laughing!! XD

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16  Edited By x_29

Because they only cared about Wolverine

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lykopis

@poisonfleur: hehehe <3

@x_29 said:

That's true too. The original script had Rogue around 21 years of age and her introduction to Logan was while they were both on a train and a group of teenaged guys started harassing her which caught his (Logan's attention).

There was a heavy emphasis on the two of them possibly having an attraction towards each other, but clearly that was scrapped for timid Rogue who could scream your ear-drums off. And the focus was way more on Xavier and Scott as well, with Wolverine just playing the tough guy.

(edited because I needed to fix the age of Rogue -- o-o)

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By poisonfleur

@x_29 said:

Oh yeah... I forgot.

Ugh...

Trapaceira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Trapaceira

Esta corretíssimo, nos filmes colocaram os personagens como mulheres frágeis e indefesas sendo que nos quadrinhos elas são uma fera!! Nada contra a Anna Paquin, mas ela não me lembrava em nada a mulher sexy, de mau com a vida e poderosa que a Vampira é. Acho que não seguiram os quadrinhos como o roteiro.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Because Wolverine is there.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Hugh Jackman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.