So as we all know the X-men are known for the best girl power in all Marvel.
Why is it that the X-films downplay the women characters???
1) Storm- Probably the x-lady with the most amount of screen time in the entire series. Halle Berry and Bryan Singer chose a direction that didn't translate too well onscreen. And Halle's performance had many mixed reviews. It's also rumored Bryan Singer didn't even care much for Storm's character entirely. By XTLS Storm had some decent girl power moments.
2) Rogue- Possibly the worst character translated from comics to film. Rogue did not appear in any action scenes in all the entire x-men movies and was reduced to a damsel in distress. A total 180 of her character in the comics. Anna Paquin even joked that she had more action in the first few episodes of true blood than she did in the x-films.
3) Mystique- Surprisingly the leading lady in the X-flims. Mystique manages to hold down the fort for all mutant ladies in the movies. She kicks butt and even gives Wolverine a run for his money. Although in X-men the last stand her character's role gets reduced and she is cured. meh. Also in X-men first class she is a far cry from the Mystique we know and love in the first 3 X-men films. But we like Jennifer Lawerance. So I will cut her some slack.
4) Jean- Jean was a nobody in X-men 1. Matter of fact the most interesting thing that happened to her was toad throwing up in her face. She wasn't really even friends with Storm... they were more co-workers if anything. Although in X2 she touched our hearts with that amazing sacrifice. In XTLS she came back as the
Exorcist the Phoenix. Which failed to please fans. The lack of firebird and full potential of the phoenix left fans feeling jipped. On a positive note, She looked great in the last movie and with the long hair and red outfit.
5) Kitty- Kitty was alright. She appeared in the first 3 x-moves. Wish we could see more of her in future films.
6) Lady Deathstrike- Much different than her comic book counterpart. But unlike Rogue, this version of the character worked well onscreen. Kelly Hu had an interesting take on the character. Too bad her character's only role was small and was to fight Wolverine and make him look good. Not to mention I don't even think they mentioned her name (Lady Deathstrike).
7) Callisto- That wasn't Callisto. Dania Ramirez is way too damn pretty to be Cal! lol She was okay-- For some reason she thought she was Quicksilver. But at least Storm and Callisto got to fight. She really wasn't all that...
8) Silverfox- Why was she in here? Fail. 'Walk until your feet bleed.'
9) Emma Frost- By far the worst waste of all the potential girl power in all the x-films. January Jones had the outfit, the movie, and the team behind her to make her performance amazing. Instead she was a cardboard cut out of a Victoria's secret reject. She had no personality. They should have found an actress who was hotter.
Her worst scene was when Shaw told her that she was beautiful--- and then to get him some ice for his drink. AND SHE ACTUALLY GOT IT FOR HIM!
And what was up with that naked diamond woman spin on her powers??? She is not Mystique.
10) Angel- IMO I thought Angel's onscreen performance was alright. BUT I thought there are MANY other character I would rather see than her in an X-flim. Heck even Pixie is more relevant than Angel is. I am all for adding a woman of color to an x-men film, but seriously??? Angel???? Wasn't she depowered? We could have had M or Frenzy.
I think Angel was supposed to be a reference to the comic version's first class Angel/Warren/ Black Queen/ Pixie.
Either way-- I liked her, but overall she didn't hold down the fort for the X-ladies.
11) Psylocke- Had more lines than colossus. But she died. LOL At least she looked hot. And why was she a bad guy???