Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why do People still Hate the X-MEN??

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By elayem98

Hi. Ive never read the regular x-men, only a few ultimate books, and ive seen the movies. 
    I just read G-Mans article, and it said that people still hate mutants...Why!? 
    Good mutants are pretty much identical to superheros. 
    Yet people love superheros...besides mutants being more evolved and superheroes being like a scientific accident, they are identical. 
    I just thought that was stupid that people hate them.
    Is there something I was missin?, Is there a reason people hate good mutants like the xmen and love superheros like Captain America..??

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

Yeah, one of the common complaints I've heard about the X-Men is the fact that they are hated yet superheroes are not. The answer is that's what the X-Men have always been about and that's not going to change. If the X-Men aren't hated then they become pointless.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By elayem98
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7: Yeah but if they werent hated they would be like any other superhero team like the avengers, and the avengers arent pointless.
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @elayem98: Being hated is an important aspect to the X-Men. If they aren't hated they'll just be considered another team.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ReVamp
    @JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
    @elayem98: Being hated is an important aspect to the X-Men. If they aren't hated they'll just be considered another team.
    Not really. 

A realistic answer is that Marvel doesn't want to let go of the status quo. 

A more fictional answer is that Mutants have the risk of spontaneously appearing (not anymore) and are not always good. Superheroes are always good. (No Duh).
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By John Valentine

Why do people like The Avengers? People are stupid, that's your answer.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By zombietag
    @elayem98 said:
    Hi. Ive never read the regular x-men, only a few ultimate books, and ive seen the movies.
    well that might be part of your problem right there.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @John Valentine said:
    Why do people like The Avengers? People are stupid, that's your answer.
    Listen to John Valentine, he knows the way. 
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shadowdoggy

people in the real world still hate blacks, asians, latinos, muslims, gays, lesbians, teen moms, smokers, jews, native Americans and just about anyone else that their parents told them to stay away from for their own safety 
    and art imitates life- so there you go 
    ;)
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think that's why the X-Men have moved to San Francisco and are being more accepted at large. Sure some people still hate them but they're being accepted. They're also not just heroes anymore since many mutants who live on Utopia aren't heroes, they're just struggling to survive. Decimation and moving to California were great for the X-Men because it shook up the status quo a little bit, but then they kinda had to revert back and had hate and fear come back to the forefront. I don't think they should be hated and feared, they should be disliked for being a community all their own on their own little island and accepting people who have been criminals like Magneto and others.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By elayem98
    @ReVamp said:   

"Mutants have the risk of spontaneously appearing (not anymore) and are not always good. Superheroes are always good. (No Duh)."

Yes but mutants have powers and are good(xmen) and bad(Magneto, brotherhood etc). Superhumans have powers and are good(superheros) and are bad too(supervillains) 
    so its really the same.

A realistic answer is that Marvel doesn't want to let go of the status quo.   

I guess this is probably just the reason, although I dont see why the xmen cant just be another superhero team. whatever. 
    Thanks for the answers everyone
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

BECAUSE PEOPLE SUCK!!!!!! 

WHY IS THAT SO UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp
    @elayem98: Yeah, I knew I wan't clear enough on this. The thing is the Mutant Gene can just suddenly appear in someone and they can just randomly explode the UN or whatever. Superheroes are/were much more restricted in terms of powers and Humans do not perceive them as a problem in terms of origin because they simply do not have any connection. If Latverians suddenly all became supervillains due to experimentation by Dr Doom, then there would be the same hatred for this particular type of Supervillains (the latverians) as there is for humans. The other supervillains just don't have a connection that Humans can perceive and thus, hate.
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

The X-Men represent the hatred that minorities and people of different cultures have to face in real life. Even though the X-Men are superheroes, they are much different from the other superheroes because they were born with powers (while superheroes like the Fantastic Four got their powers through an accident, although I'm not sure about the case with Thor) As much as I like to see the X-Men finally get accepted into society, the whole mutant hating world is pretty much the status quo of the X-Men and if the X-Men finally get accepted into society, then that's the end of the X-Men, although more stories could be said of the X-Men.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By papad1992
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    people in the real world still hate blacks, asians, latinos, muslims, gays, lesbians, teen moms, smokers, jews, native Americans and just about anyone else that their parents told them to stay away from for their own safety and art imitates life- so there you go ;)

I think u should watch what u say before u offend anyone!! 

"People in the real world still hate..." who told u that?? Have u met everyone in the "real" world and ask there opinion about these groups!? Ur just going off stereotypes!! Native Americans, Asians... smokers ur unhinged!! And putting Jews up on that list... why are they getting a bitch slap?? Im Jewish and I've never been told by someone: "Hey, ur Jewish... u suck!" So watch what u post before u offend anyone... like u just did me!!!
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By HubrisRanger

It isn't even an issue of "status quo", it is that the minority angle is what makes X-books unique. The whole idea of the X-Men is that they are dedicated to "protect a world that hates and fears them." Plenty of writers have toyed with the idea of trying to play with mutants gaining more widespread acceptance, even a certain cultural cache (Morrison's New X-Men played with this idea perfectly, where mutantism was considered hip), but the truth is in that moment the X-Men become no different from the Avengers or Fantastic Four. The marginalized identity is what defines the group, and as others have pointed out, there is always a minority group that you can draw parallels to.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By HubrisRanger

@papad1992 said:

Im Jewish and I've never been told by someone: "Hey, ur Jewish... u suck!" So watch what u post before u offend anyone... like u just did me!!!

Consider yourself lucky to have somehow never run into an anti-Semite. I run into them almost daily on X-Box Live. Also, while I find the inclusion of "smokers" in the list a little questionable myself, I think you might have missed the point he was trying to make: some people hate other people for the most trivial things, so the idea that possibly dangerous mutants would make some hair trigger individuals nervous is not that far-fetched.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By papad1992
    @HubrisRanger said:

@papad1992 said:

Im Jewish and I've never been told by someone: "Hey, ur Jewish... u suck!" So watch what u post before u offend anyone... like u just did me!!!

Consider yourself lucky to have somehow never run into an anti-Semite. I run into them almost daily on X-Box Live. Also, while I find the inclusion of "smokers" in the list a little questionable myself, I think you might have missed the point he was trying to make: some people hate other people for the most trivial things, so the idea that possibly dangerous mutants would make some hair trigger individuals nervous is not that far-fetched.

I hate people who include Jews into conversations that don't even need to be started in the first place!! The point is just using the word "hate" while describing certain groups is not only wrong and cruel it's being uneducated!! I've lived in in Israel for one year I have never in my life met more friendly, educated and lively people!! Basically people should think before they write!!
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @papad1992: Are you seriously arguing that racism, homophobia, and other forms of bigotry don't exist. How young (and ignorant) are you? How does saying that bigots exist offend you?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

might as well ask why people still hate black people or gay people, regardless of what good people do hate will always exist because humans are for the most part a hateful bunch of a$$holes 

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daak1212

Okay I have one great example of this

People hate the X-men but not the Sentry?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe
    @daak1212: oh people hate Sentry, maybe not people in comics but people do definitely hate him 
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Especially considering that a number of mutants have served on the various Avengers teams, it does seem to be a bit at odds with the rest of the universe. Of course, that could just mean that those particular mutants get spared the worst of the treatment. "Why hello, Captain America! I hope you don't mind if I hurl insults and rotten fruit at your mutant friend, there."

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Why are people still racist? 
    Why are people still Anti Semitic? 
    Why are people still Homophobic? 
    Why are people still Xenophobic? 

the answer is simple, people will always fear what they don't fully understand, and hate what they fear, anything that upsets the status quo will be considered a threat to society

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daak1212
    @The Stegman: Clearly there are heroes that can fit those roles as opposed to the Xmen

The Xmen being the total whipping post for Marvel U while Heroes are down right more lethal and worse for the community than Xmen are.  The Sentry is the biggest poster boy for this
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @daak1212: i can't think of many who like the Sentry, and the only reason some do like him, is because Osborn vouched for him (Osborn was like beloved by the world at that time) and i also think that's why most heroes aren't hated as much as the x men, the other heroes get good publicity. I mean look at the Avengers, they work for SHIELD, which is basically the government, they can be trusted (for the most part) they are sanctioned heroes. same with the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man on the other hand was hated when he first came out, just like the x men, but over time the people loved him because he he worked with other teams (and he's hilarious) however the x men are more ...i guess i can say, secluded, they are like their own nation, they don't regularly team up with others, thus they remain a mystery...people don't like mysteries 
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#27  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @The Stegman said:

Why are people still racist? Why are people still Anti Semitic? Why are people still Homophobic? Why are people still Xenophobic?  the answer is simple, people will always fear what they don't fully understand, and hate what they fear, anything that upsets the status quo will be considered a threat to society

Exactly! That's pretty much the reason why people hate the X-Men because they are mutants that have powers that people fear and in society in real life, people fear things like other cultures or races if they don't understand them and that causes them to hate the other races and cultures.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

Mutants just look different.  

I bet you wouldn't let your daughter or son date one, just sayin'

MastaKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MastaKilla
    @papad1992: are you totally disconnected from reality? people hate for the most ridiculous reasons...skin color, sexual orientation, religious affiliation and the list goes on and on.  no need to get upset over a generalized analogy that happens to have lots of merit.

furthermore, i think the thread started touched upon a critical aspect when he called it stupid that people hate mutants but like superheroes. you could ask the same question about the real world.. why would someone hate a hispanic person but like caucasians?  why would someone hate jewish people and like christians? there are no good answers for these questions except to say ignorance reigns supreme and i think it is well represented as such in the marvel universe in regard to mutants...
    daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By daak1212
    @The Stegman said:
    @daak1212: i can't think of many who like the Sentry, and the only reason some do like him, is because Osborn vouched for him (Osborn was like beloved by the world at that time) and i also think that's why most heroes aren't hated as much as the x men, the other heroes get good publicity. I mean look at the Avengers, they work for SHIELD, which is basically the government, they can be trusted (for the most part) they are sanctioned heroes. same with the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man on the other hand was hated when he first came out, just like the x men, but over time the people loved him because he he worked with other teams (and he's hilarious) however the x men are more ...i guess i can say, secluded, they are like their own nation, they don't regularly team up with others, thus they remain a mystery...people don't like mysteries 
    X men have saved the Earth time and time again, to say that we have issue with Mutants is complete fallacy and bullshit.  Mutants half the time in any NYC fight arent even a major portion of the mayhem (there not in NYC anymore but bare with me).  A leading issue with mutants is that they have powers.  Parents dont want there kids with mutants because they can read minds and all that other crap.  Are you kidding me?  So you have no issue with Cap or Iron man beating the holy hell out of things or Thor getting into a street side brawl with Hulk and Thing when they were hammer juicing but if a mutant is a mutant than it's hide your wife hide your kids?  

Mutants are marvels punching when it comes to predjudice but with out an acutal good reason.  They are a representation of rascism, Xenophobia and homophobia but guess what?  Most Mutants are white so lets cross out rascism and look at Blue Marvel, Jossiah X, Panther, Patriot and other black people in Marvel.  Xenophobia....There is a god who walks among them and it's Thor.  Hell I could get on the Noh-Varr issue but then probably someone would retort that it's because he looks white...as do most mutants.  Homophobia... I really cant touch that seeing as the largest homosexual demographic is mutants but I honestly dont feel that Mutants should be the poster boys of homosexuality.  

Marvel uses the old principle of oppression as the reoccurring theme for the X men and quite frankly it's old.  I have yet to figure out why Mutants are truly hated when they seem quite average and (Sidenote) Hope is supposed to be the savior of mutant kind.  From what?  An actual physical threat or humanity and it's angst towards them?
    jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jubilee042
    @The Stegman said:
    Why are people still racist? Why are people still Anti Semitic? Why are people still Homophobic? Why are people still Xenophobic?  the answer is simple, people will always fear what they don't fully understand, and hate what they fear, anything that upsets the status quo will be considered a threat to society
    he gave u the answer
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By dernman  Online

Another aspect for the average human to hate the X-Men is a lot of people believe the X-men are the next step in human evolution.  
    They fear that like the cro magnons humans will disappear. 

Also X-Men were born with their powers something they were unable to do.  Where as Superheros are just like them but gained powers though artificial means..

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Edgeworth_11
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    people in the real world still hate blacks, asians, latinos, muslims, gays, lesbians, teen moms, smokers, jews, native Americans and just about anyone else that their parents told them to stay away from for their own safety and art imitates life- so there you go ;)

Good answer.
    redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By redwingx
    I dont really understand why they hate them. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Rabbitearsblog said:
    The X-Men represent the hatred that minorities and people of different cultures have to face in real life. Even though the X-Men are superheroes, they are much different from the other superheroes because they were born with powers (while superheroes like the Fantastic Four got their powers through an accident, although I'm not sure about the case with Thor) As much as I like to see the X-Men finally get accepted into society, the whole mutant hating world is pretty much the status quo of the X-Men and if the X-Men finally get accepted into society, then that's the end of the X-Men, although more stories could be said of the X-Men.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By joshmightbe
    @daak1212: You're asking for a valid reason for racism but there isn't one. In some peoples eyes it doesn't matter how much good they do some people are going to hate them regardless, for proof of this you can look at the real world. Millions of black and Latino soldiers have fought and died for this country yet hate still exists for them 
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shadowdoggy
     @Edgeworth_11:

@papad1992:
    .....what? 

@JoseDRiveraTCR7
    said:

@papad1992

: Are you seriously arguing that racism, homophobia, and other forms of bigotry don't exist. How young (and ignorant) are you? How does saying that bigots exist offend you?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @daak1212:  

@The Stegman said: 

X men have saved the Earth time and time again, to say that we have issue with Mutants is complete fallacy and bullshit.  Mutants half the time in any NYC fight arent even a major portion of the mayhem (there not in NYC anymore but bare with me).  A leading issue with mutants is that they have powers.  Parents dont want there kids with mutants because they can read minds and all that other crap.  Are you kidding me?  So you have no issue with Cap or Iron man beating the holy hell out of things or Thor getting into a street side brawl with Hulk and Thing when they were hammer juicing but if a mutant is a mutant than it's hide your wife hide your kids?   

Mutants are marvels punching when it comes to predjudice but with out an acutal good reason.  They are a representation of rascism, Xenophobia and homophobia but guess what?  Most Mutants are white so lets cross out rascism and look at Blue Marvel, Jossiah X, Panther, Patriot and other black people in Marvel.  Xenophobia....There is a god who walks among them and it's Thor.  Hell I could get on the Noh-Varr issue but then probably someone would retort that it's because he looks white...as do most mutants.  Homophobia... I really cant touch that seeing as the largest homosexual demographic is mutants but I honestly dont feel that Mutants should be the poster boys of homosexuality.   

Marvel uses the old principle of oppression as the reoccurring theme for the X men and quite frankly it's old.  I have yet to figure out why Mutants are truly hated when they seem quite average and (Sidenote) Hope is supposed to be the savior of mutant kind.  From what?  An actual physical threat or humanity and it's angst towards them?
    I agree with everything you said, i was merely playing devel's advocate, the fact is people just choose to hate people who are slightly different from themselves, you can't explain racism.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By joshmightbe
    @papad1992 said:
    @HubrisRanger said:

@papad1992 said:

I hate people who include Jews into conversations that don't even need to be started in the first place!! The point is just using the word "hate" while describing certain groups is not only wrong and cruel it's being uneducated!! I've lived in in Israel for one year I have never in my life met more friendly, educated and lively people!! Basically people should think before they write!!
    they weren't saying anything bad about jews just that yes hate and discrimination against them does exist, no one said it was right or even acceptable just that exists 
    Jeddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeddd

I think part of the hatred comes from the fear of being replaced as a species. Humans don't want to think of themselves as a dying race that will eventually be taken over by this new more powerful that they don't get to be a part of.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Jeddd
    that's a very good point 
    mutants aren't just a race or religion- they're a newer version of the species 
    that's got to be a little freigthening 

@joshmightbe:
    yeah, trust me, I have nothing against the Jewish faith
    neither does my jewish boyfriend 
    Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Superguy0009e

i dont like it because there are so many issues of xmen related issues

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Aqua11500

Because then they'd be any old regular team, discrimination is there staus quo. 

If they let that go they could still be written awesome and be a great team,but that's what makes them stand out for the Lame ass Avengers or wacky ass Fantastic 4 -_- 
    Really I've thought about it countless times,but hey mutants are mutants. 

SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SurelockeHomes

Maybe it's because they're born with their gifts, which could manifest at any given moment, usually in puberty, which makes the already unpredictable teens even more unpredictable and more dangerous. Then there's also the now/former mutant terrorists.

kai1309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kai1309

@joshmightbe said:

might as well ask why people still hate black people or gay people, regardless of what good people do hate will always exist because humans are for the most part a hateful bunch of a$$holes   

i second that.

The X-men are a minority race of people who has to worry about themselves when their people are chased by mobs and getting lynched, even being worshipped as goddesses. Their "out and about" or my personal motto "above the bullsh**"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.